Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6499 results found

1. "Same" font sizes, but they're not

In the most recent version of indesign, when I copy or duplicate a text box, the font size says it's the same, but it is about 2-3 points bigger. Even after eyedorpping the previous style, it doesn't change. I have to manually make a new text box, recreate the font details before copying and pasting it into the box.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Find/Change bug in Indesign 13.1.1

Text Find/Change seems to have a bug: let's suppose we have 2 paragraph styles, for example a title style and a body text style. In the document I received from our partner sometimes the body paragraphs wear the title style and they were manually overridden to look like the body style. To fix this error I tried to search for texts that has the title style but the font used is that of the body style. Indesign Finds something at the beginning of the body paragraph (a thin cursor-like thing can be seen there: it is the selected something) that…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Relink to folder and filenames with accents doesn't work

Relink to folder doesn't work for filenames with accents, it just doesn't find such files, but relinking every single file separately (very annoying) works.

Adobe InDesign 14.0.2. x64, Win 10 Pro

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. bug after ID update to 14. the programm language was changed from german to english

bug!
    after ID update to 14. the programm language was changed from german to english.
    Please fix it.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

As per discussion over email, the crash is being faced in InCopy CC2014 while working with Smart Connection(external plugin).
    We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InCopy 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.
    _
    Adobe InCopy Team

6. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As per discussion over email, the crash is being faced in InCopy CC2014 while working with Smart Connection(external plugin).
    We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InCopy 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.
    _
    Adobe InCopy Team

7. CC 2019 crashes on macOS when running SDK plug-in

Specifically, the crashes at code "actionManager->PerformAction(activeContext, kOpenStructureWinActionID)".
    Our code uses that action to show/hide the structure view.
    And the crash also be reproducable in the sample plugin from InDesign SDK.

Only occurs on macOS, Windows do not have the issue.

The steps are:
    1. Compile the plugin "SnippetRunner.sdk.InDesignPlugin" which is in InDesign CC 2019 SDK.
    2. Load it in InDesign.
    3. Create a new blank document
    4. On SnippetRunner[US] panel, select ManipulateStructureView from dropdown list.
    5. Click Go icon, and choose ChangeStructureViewState(toogle)
    6. Click OK button
    7. Crash.

Crash log attached.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)
    We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

8. Incopy 2019 cannot open icap file created by ID 2019

.icap files created with ID 2019 cannot be opened with IC 2019 with error message „An error occured while opening the file.“ Tested on Mac OS X 10.12.6.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

9. Text

Wenn man verschiedenen Worten in einem Textblock (die eben nicht direkt hintereinander liegen) - zum Beispiel eine andere Schriftart oder Farbe zuweisen möchte, so muss man jedes Wort einzel mit dem Inhaltswerkzeug anwählen und dann das gewünschte Format vergeben. Toll wäre, wenn man (zum Beispiel mit der Shift-Taste) gleich mehrere Wörter oder Bereiche anwählen kann - das würde die Arbeit sehr erleichtern.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. indd 14.0.3 - mojave os FONTS ARE GONE FROM MY DOC

indd 14.0.3 - mojave os - working until 7 last night, very slow but working. this morning at 5am took long time to open program, once the doc finally opened all the fonts were missing. creative cloud box says "...uses fonts that are currently unavailable on your computer." "Adobe Fonts could not find any matching fonts." I know the fonts are enabled, but still updated Font Explorer to a newer version then restarted. no luck. same message

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Drop-down menu options not highlighting

Visual feedback of selected item works when moving down through list using Down Arrow Key. Visual feedback does not work when moving back up through the list using Up Arrow Key. It will select the correct item, it just doesn't show that the correct item is currently highlighted.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

12. Accessible PDF Alternative Text Fail When Object Set to Multiply

InDesign 14.0.2

When an object is set to "multiply" in Effects and exported to Interactive PDF, there is a Alternative Text fail reported when running Accessibility Full Check. When the "multiply" effect is removed, there is a clean report. Please fix.

Attached are both the original file (with multiply on) and the PDF generated. If you remove multiply, it works.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Direct open Pdf into Indesign with separate layers.

Hi, I would like to say i want to Direct open Pdf into Indesign with separate layers.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. I lost all Save, Save As, Undo functionality (everything is grayed out). To save my work, I have to export as an IDML .

Lost all Save, Save As, Undo functionality while working.
    To save my work, the only thing to do is to export as an IDML file. Force quitting to recover the file doesn't work. This has been happening to me since InDesign 5.5. I am currently using InDesign CC 2018. There are no particular steps, it happens at random. I can have several files open and it only happens to one file, or sometimes it's more than one file. It happens whether I'm working off of my Desktop or on our server.

127 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As part of the investigation into the cause of this issue, we personally reached out to many of you over email. We have so far heard from only some of you.

Of the responses we have received, the conclusion we’ve come to is:
    This issue was intermittent, happened once during the course of work but somehow got resolved and has not happened again. This issue can’t be reproduced now.

Over a period of time, this thread has not thrown any fresh clues on why this issue seems to occur randomly for some and then seems to resolve itself. So we’re closing this thread.

However, even though we’re closing this thread, if you again run into this issue any time on a consistent basis, please report it here on UserVoice (in a new thread) with supporting assets like:
    A) a test file,
    B) detailed steps to replicate the issue
    C) any…

15. Missing Font error after upgrading

After the upgrading to cc 2019 , the older fonts which were installed in machine is giving missing font error, every time i have to sync the fonts. I am using windows 10 standard edition. Here is the screen shot of the error.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Problem with InDesign search and subsequent type tool use

Do you know of a fix for an annoying glitch with InDesign's search tool?

When I search for a word and the search spans into the next section/story of a document, I'm unable to type in the text frame.

Alt+tabbing into a different program and then back into InDesign is the only way I've found of solving the problem.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. InDesign CC exporting idml's with errors not found in the indd file

When packaging InDesign CC 14.0.2 .indd files, the resulting idml file has content frames jumping around. The resulting packaged indd file looks fine, but in the idml content frames have moved resulting in images being cut off and text boxes shift cutting off text.

Process is simply packaging a working indd file with no particularly special settings. Package with indd, idml and pdf. This doesn't happen in every file, maybe 1 in 100.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  IDML Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Text input lag with 5k screen

Typing in any Indesign text box causes input lag on Mac Mini, OS X Mojave and an 5k LG screen connected with a eGPU.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. InDesign crashes when editing text

21.5" iMac with 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    macOS High Sierra version 10.13.6
    12 GB RAM
    360+ GB of hard disk space

When attempting to copy text from a word document into 28 Mb file in InDesign, InDesign freezes... endless spinning color wheel. Problem is persistent - every time I try to copy a paragraph of text. It even occurred when I tried typing the paragraph of text.

Tried updating InDesign CC
    Tried uninstalling and reinstalling
    Tried using Story Editor to edit text box.

Apple crash report attached.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

20. Create outlines in a document with conditional text crashes

I have four InDesign templates created, two use conditional text while the other two do not. I have no problem creating outlines of the document without the conditional text. Every time I try to create outlines of a page in a document with conditional text, I get the endless spinning wheel and have to force quit.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base