Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Crashing when changing paragraph style

Every time I change the paragraph style on my document, indesign crashes.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Indd file crashes when editing, including it into a book or during the book synchronization

After the Indesign update to the 2020 version I started to have problems with a single file: the program crashes every time I try to edit this file (in particular when I try to modify the content in the middle of the file, at the end of a series of tables), to include it in a book, or to synchronize a book which includes this corrupted file.
    I attach the corrupted file, so you can check
    Is there a solutions?
    Thank you

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Fix for this issue is now available in the latest update of InDesign 2020 – that is, InDesign 15.0.1

In the Creative Cloud Desktop application, click on the Updates section on the left. You should be able to see the Update available for InDesign. Please update your InDesign application to this version to try out the fix.

Let us know in the comments section if you face any problem with the updation process.

Adobe InDesign Team

3. Export PDF crashes InDesign

Tried to export a PDF (smallest file size) with links & bookmarks active. Once I click the Export button, InDesign crashes.

InDesign 14.0.3 running on Catalina OS.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Indesign wont open on double click

Whenever i open indesign via double click ont he file the system fails to open, and i get a crash report) the only way is to open indesign program then drag the indesign file into that window for it to open

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign 2019 (v 14.0.2) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on 14.0.2 (build 324), we recommend that you update to this latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us.
    (Guidelines to submit crash are available at https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Also, please send the following information to sharewithID@adobe.com :

• Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us?
    • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? (Please take a backup of the same before trashing them).

Adobe InDesign team

5. InDesign 14.0.1 is crashing hourly

For three days my InDesign 14.0.1 has been crashing almost exactly hourly. It just freezes and I get the spinning beachball. Only recourse is to re-start my Mac. I've uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times. Prior to this, I had downloaded Lightroom... I thought this might have been the initial cause. I uninstalled Lightroom and all my Adobe products. Any ideas?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Please submit the crash report to us.
    (Guidelines to submit crash are available at https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Also, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

• Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us?
    • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

6. CC 2019 Repeated Crashing when switching to the text tool from the move tool

Experiencing repeated crashes when selecting the Text tool. Does not happen every time, but has happened at least 5 times in the last 10 minutes. Windows 10, newest version of CC2019.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

We have fixed a number of crashes with InDesign’s latest Nov’18 update.
    Please download the latest InDesign version (InDesign CC 14.0.1) for the fix.

List of crashes and other issues that have been fixed with the update can be found at the below provided link:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud application, click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Regards,
    InDesign Team

7. adobe freezing and getting beach ball spin constantly

Everytime I upload, save, place etc I get beach ball after beach ball...

It's not my computer...I have the 10k Imac Pro...

It mainly started when I installed OS Mojave. Adress this asap please as it is affecting work flow.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.2) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on 14.0.2 (build 324), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us.

• Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us?
    • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

8. Crashing Indesign - Google Team Drive

We are working with Google Team Drive and all Adobe programs.
    But lately we experience some trouble.

The screenshots say that Indesign closed itself because of error.

Hopefully someone can help us with this problem.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

Adobe InDesign team

9. pasting crash

InDesign CC 13.1 — EVERY time I copy text from another program (PDF, email, Word, ANYTHING other text within InDesign), InDesign crashes immediately upon pasting into a text box within InDesign. No spinning beach ball. Just shuts down and closes. This is untenable and needs to be fixed. Productivity and my job depend on it. Can anyone please help solve this issue? Thank you.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

Adobe InDesign team

10. Can not paste text in inDesign

I am running InDesign CC 13.1 on osMac High Sierra, and am unable to COPY text from any web browser (Chrome, Safari, Firefox) and PASTE it into inDesign. It crashes every time. I AM able to paste the text into a Pages document and THEN copy/paste into inDesign — but all character information is gone (formatting, alignment, spacing, etc.)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign team

11. InDesign crashing when exporting book to pdf

Hi there. I just got updated InDesign through CC and am in the process of updating old files/documents created in CS5.5. Several of them are InDesign books including 6-10 separate documents (there are a couple books which share similar documents). I'm able to export the individual documents as a pdf just fine, but when I try to export the book it crashes. I've tried recreating the book with the same documents, but no luck. Other ideas?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. InCopy Assignments Updates Crash InDesign

I have an InDesign book file housing several InDesign files that are news page documents with InCopy assignments. When I open the .indd files from the .indb file and a story has been updated (update links dialogue) when I click on "update links" InDesign crashes. I've clicked "don't update links" and it doesn't crash. However, when I go to the page that needs updating and I click update in the assignments panel, InDesign crashes.
    This all happened before and after I reset my InDesign preferences.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Cannot open file due to deleting hyperlinks in Indesign CC 2018

I was deleting the list of hyperlinks in my file and it crashed. So I kept saving the file after every hyperlink I had deleted so that I can find out which one was the root problem, but now I cannot even open the file as it just crashes immediately it opens. At this moment in time I have to do the whole job again.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Adobe InDesign team

14. Indesign crashing on startup 2017 / 2018 (cloud) - Please Help!!

InDesign crashes the computer on startup. Not just the program, but restarts the PC. Sometimes it crashes with blue screen sometimes with plain and simple restart without any messages. Program does not even open.

I'm running Intel I7 8720X, Nvidia 1080 TI, 11 GB, 32 GB ram DDR4, 512 SSD + 3 TB Storage, Windows 10 Home - all updates.

I'm not sure what is going on. I tried to reinstall it, several times, after I uninstall removing preferences / settings, formatted the drives to kill any existing settings, still same issues. Photoshop, Illustrator and Adobe Acrobat work fine, not…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Adobe InDesign team

15. Editing font in table and it crashes

Selecting multiple cells and changing font, Indesign keeps crashing

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Adobe InDesign team

16. InDesign 2018 still crashing when updating in links panel after 13.0.1 update

InDesign 2018 still crashing when updating in links panel after 13.0.1 update. Running Mac OS High Sierra. It's one thing after another since updating to 2018.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign team

18. Trying to copy any item or group of items crashes InDesign

Attempting to copy any item or group of items to the pasteboard in InDesign crashes the application.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Copying multiple objects and switching documents causes InDesign to crash every single time.

Copying multiple objects and switching documents causes InDesign to crash every single time. Copying text from inside of a box or copying a single object doesn't seem to cause the crash to happen.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign team

20. Index Entry Crash

Working in InDesign CC 2018. Revising a single chapter of 1300+ page book. InDesign CC 2018 crashes every time I try to create a new index entry. I've installed the BugFxes for Mac, deleted preferences, restarted machine, etc. Trying to create new index entry crashes each chapter even when working in each chapter individually. InDesign CC 2017 did not have this problem. Any assistance or suggestions are appreciated.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Adobe InDesign team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base