Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

517 results found

1. Crashing Indesign - Google Team Drive

We are working with Google Team Drive and all Adobe programs.
    But lately we experience some trouble.

The screenshots say that Indesign closed itself because of error.

Hopefully someone can help us with this problem.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

2. InDesign CC 2018 crashes when copying a text box

I just downloaded ID CC 2018 and every time I copy and paste a text box, whether inside the same document or a different one, the entire program crashes.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

We have fixed a number of crashes with InDesign’s latest Nov’17 update.
    Please download the latest InDesign version (InDesign CC 13.0.1) for the fix.

List of crashes and other issues that have been fixed with the update can be found at the below provided link:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/release-note/indesign-cc-13-0-1.html

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud application, click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

3. Spanning columns crashes program

Working with span columns with large documents creates a bug invested document. I'm working on a document now that crashes everytime I make any change to it. So much for professional program.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    FIXED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

Hello All,
    Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 15.0

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 15.0
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

-InDesign Team

4. Starting or Closing Indesign makes a freeze

Adobe InDesign 18.5 | Windows 11
    Working in a company.
    Since the last Update 2 from our collueges have freeze while starting or closing Adobe InDesign.
    Already tried older version, clean fonts, temps and caches.

Task-Manager shows this (screenshot)
    Nothing from the CEPHtmlEngine solutions in Adobe worked.

Someone has a idea?

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. InDesign 2021 goes into non-responding state when trying to close the application

Version of Adobe InDesign: 16.0
    Steps to reproduce the issues: Unable to quit normally since 16.0 install
    Expected result: Quit normally
    Actual result: App hangs

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. eye dropper causes crash

Eyedropper using within the color selection screen causes crash everytime.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

7. I can't open any file after upgrading to Catalina 15.10.1

Yesterday I switched from Mojave to the new version of MacOS Catalina (15.10.1), and InDesign CC 2019 (updated to version 14.0.3) immediately after switching to the new operating system started to no longer open the files, either from the "Open file" both by double clicking on the file (I also tried to open the files as a copy, but InDesign also crashes in that case).
    Point out that I also tried uninstalling InDesign and erasing all preferences, but the situation is not solved.
    I kindly ask you to resolve the situation (which is not the downgrade to the old Mojave…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Fix for this issue is now available in the latest update of InDesign 2020 – that is, InDesign 15.0.2

In the Creative Cloud Desktop application, click on the Updates section on the left. You should be able to see the Update available for InDesign. Please update your InDesign application to this version to try out the fix.

Let us know in the comments section if you face any problem with the update process.

Adobe InDesign Team

8. crash

Very often when trying to save as InDesign is crashing making me lost my un saved work.

I can't attach a file since my computer crash...

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

9. InDesign freezes while Adding New/Editing Cross-References

1. InDesign 13.1 x64 2a. Select the text, go to Insert Cross References either via Type > Hyperlinks & Cross References or via the Cross References Panel. 2b. Select text that already has a cross reference, go to Cross-Reference Options either via Type > Hyperlinks and Cross References of the Cross References panel.
    2. The New Cross-Reference or Edit Cross-Reference dialog box should open and function.
    3. InDesign freezes and has to be force quit. I've waited as long as 20 minutes for the system to function properly before having to force it to quit.
    6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. can't export tagged pdf

Much time has been spent setting up accessible document in InDesign - added export tagging instructions to paragraph styles, added alt text to all images and figures, anchored images and objects to text, set up reading order using articles. The document will not export to PDF when "create tagged pdf" is selected. Program crashes every time before exporting is complete. Have tried on different computers. Applications are up to date. Have tried exporting from .indd and .idml file types.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    FIXED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

Hello All,
    Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 15.0

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 15.0
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

-InDesign Team

11. AIGPUSniffer quit unexpectedly every time I launch Indesign CC 14.0.1

I am using Indesign CC14.0.1 on a MAC - OS Mojave V 10.14.1
    Whenever I launch Indesign I get a crash pop up saying AIGPU Sniffer has quit unexpectedly.
    Indesign is fine to work in however I am fed up with this AIGPU issue coming up all the time and don't know if it is effecting anything else?
    I've had loads of issues with the latest CC - really not impressed Adobe! Any suggestions on how to stop this happening?

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

Thanks for reporting the issue to us. We are currently investigating the issue.

Adobe InDesign Team

12. Delete page crashes InDesign and closes

I am using 2017.1 Release 12.1.0.56
    When I click to delete a page from my document, ID crashes. It is only happening on one particular file. I tried creating a duplicate copy, adding additional pages and deleting multiple pages and still is crashes.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

13. Crash when exporting

Every time I try to export my document to a PDF InDesign 12.1 crashes. I've quit and restarted the software, and restarted my computer. I have no pending updates. I'm not sure why the program crashes every time I try to export. I've tried to go around the issue by packaging the file, exporting directly to PDF, or getting a PDF from a "print" operation, but nothing seems to work. It crashes every time.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

14. InDesign Crashes when Scrolling the document

My file continually crashes whenever I attempt to scroll down on the document.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ve fixed the issue with InDesign’s latest Mar’18 update.
    Please download the latest InDesign version (InDesign CC 13.1) for the fix.

List of crashes and other issues that have been fixed with the update can be found at the below provided link:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/release-note/indesign-cc-march-2018-13-1-release-notes.html

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud application, click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

15. Color Picker causes InDesign to Crash

Every time I try to use the eyedrop Color Picker tool in InDesign it causes InDesign to crash and close. It will not allow me to drag the eyedropper to pick up a color, and if I try to drag the eyedropper it makes the color box freeze to where I cannot click "Ok" or "Cancel" and I need to press the "Esc" button on my keyboard to get out of the color box. Shortly after closing the color box, InDesign will crash and close. I have tried updating InDesign to the newest version, turning on/off my computer multiple times,…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. InDesign crashes/freezes on Quit

When quitting from MacOS Dock (right-mouse click on the icon), Indesign crashes like most of the time.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Anchored text box in a table cell with text threads crashes when cutting

As the title says. It sounds similar to past bugs.

First, create a text box and add a table.
    Create a separate, new text box and add a single character in it.
    Anchor the text box to any cell in the table.
    Enable "Show Text Threads" from the View > Extras menu.
    Selecting and attempting to cut the table will lead to a long hang and crash.

This is on the latest version of InDesign at the moment, 17.0. I am on Windows 10 20H2 19042.1288. I can verify this occurring on two separate systems.
    I've included a video walking…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. InDesign crashes whenever story editor is opened

Story editor is unavailable because the crash happens as soon as I open it. On MacBook Air chip M1, Indesign 16.4. Also text in text frames disappears ,and F8 does not work as a shortcut to info.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Indesign 2021, there were never more crashes. Please quickly update with bug fix! Thanks!!!

Indesign 2021, there were never more crashes. Please quickly update with bug fix! Thanks!!!

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Script | Selection on merged row makes indesign crash

Hi everyone,

I'm facing a new problem with a script I was working on, it is supposed to read every cells I selected and let me apply a cell and paragraph style. It works fine unless my first selection is a merge row and the second one a row without any merge.

so selecting this two rows with this code makes indesign crash (see: rows.png):

try {
    var mySelection = app.selection[0];
    alert(app.selection[0].contents)
    } catch (e) {
    alert("error\n" + e.number + ": " + e.message)
    }

Thanks for your help,
    Nicolas

here's an example of my selection that crashes (error.png)

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base