When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Include the 'Paste in Front' and 'Paste in Back' features that are already in Illustrator.

Being able to paste in front or in back makes layout of overlapping objects a breeze. Everytime I have to cut and paste an object, I need to set the arrangement of the object. It becomes a pain when I have many objects on the same layer.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Outline stroke

I think it'd be handy if you could draw a line and convert it to a shape, like in Illustrator.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Swap graphics/images…

I know it exists as a script BUT i've been waiting a loooong time to get a very basic SWAP function between 2 inDesign frames'content.

Say I have 2 frames on a page, one contains image A, the other contains image B.

I select the 2 frames, in object menu, I have one option (usually grayed out if 0, 1, 3 or more objects are selected) (+ same in contextual right-click menu).

That option says "swap images" (in french "permuter les images").

Everything in one frame goes to the other.

That implies groups of items.

That implies taking care of…

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Indesign Gradient Tool

Please make the gradient tool in Indesign function the same as in Illustrator, it's fiddly, cumbersome and gives you nowhere near as much control. There's no reason for it not to function the way it does.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. HEIF/HEIC

Ability to import heif/heic files just like any other vector format (.ai, .pdf, .eps, etc.)

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Hey Adobe, stop changing interfaces and ENOUGH WITH THE STUPID QUIPS. "When in doubt make a layout", "Let's design great graphics ...Really?

Hey Adobe, stop changing interfaces and ENOUGH WITH THE STUPID QUIPS. "When in doubt make a layout", "Let's design great graphics today Brian", "Put your projects into focus today" ...Really? I use Adobe for my job, I am already doing these things, I dont need a fucking reminder from YOU to do my job. STOP IT.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Place Photoshop artboards into InDesign

We need to be able to place Photoshop artboards into InDesign.

This should work similar to placing Illustrator artboards or placing pages from a PDF or another InDesign file.

Thanks.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    In backlog  ·  Anonymous responded

Thanks for the info. This is indeed correct that since the various artboards come in as a layers the dimensions are of the entire document which can be problematic. Adding this to our backlog.

8. Different Size Columns

Provide the option of having unequal column sizes, to provide a 2-1 ratio. This would give easier sidebar style layouts.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add an option to rasterize chosen graphic objects on export (especially vectors)

Often we have to work with vectors, and often they take up a lot of space, which leads to the growth of the final PDF document and the slow rendering of the document in browsers. The trick with reducing transparency, when we make the selected frames 99% opaque and turn on the flattener, does not always give a good quality result and can cause stitching.
    I suggest adding the option "rasterize" to the settings of the style of the graphic frame, so during the export the vector object is replaced with a raster copy. The quality settings for rasterization can…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. when adjusting the stroke weight with the up/down arrow, make the selections go from 1 pt, to .75, .5, etc.

right now, if i have a line selected, and use the stroke weight pales to reduce it, if i'm already 1 pt, and click the down arrow, it goes to zero pt. not helpful. it wold be great for it to go to the other increments in the list. i was kind of hoping it would be in the current version, but nah.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Update links automatically

Currently, when I want to update an image link that has moved, I copy the name of the image to be linked, then "update link" and paste the name of the link in the search field to find all instances on my system. This should be automatized with a function like "search and update" that allows you to then choose which version of the link you'd like (in case of duplicate names). As far as I know this doesn't exist yet.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Outline Stroke

Its 2019 and its not possible to convert a path into a shape like in illustrator.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Persistent Book Panel

I use Book files often (INDB) and it is very annoying the way the Book Panel disappears from the UI when I close all open INDD files. I have to go to the Window menu and then to the bottom and choose my open Book file to get the Book Panel back. Please could you make the Book Panel persistent in the UI and remember the place that I docked it. That would save me time.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Easier way to restart endnote numbering

Thanks for the new endnotes feature. Arrived just in time, as i had to do a book with two extensive sets of notes and was dreading the thought of having to do one set manually.

But having to break the chapters into stories in order to restart numbering on the notes was rather a nuisance. I don't like having to break a book text into stories (creates too many opportunities for things to go wrong). How about creating a function that allows a number restart after a paragraph style? I would think that most users would want to restart each…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Implement Chart- and Diagramfunction

Implement a Chart- and Diagramfunction based on a linked XLS.

Reason:
    Technical Data for Products is often managed in XLS and Engineers create all kind of charts and diagramms directly in XLS.
    Unfortunately it is not possible to import those XLS-charts in InDesign! There are serveral solutions possible, e.g. via PDF, but these are only "dirty-tricks" and they are all not sustainable at all. In the best case the charts and diagramms look ugly.
    While it is possible to link/import XLS-Data, it should be possible to create charts and diagrams directly in InDesign, as Illustrator already does (similar, not nice…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. New Alignment Option: To Bleed

Being able to align to the bleed or distribute to bleeds would be helpful.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Add a "View" option "a spread as single pages"

My idea is to create an option in the VIEW panel, to see your spread as single pages, where they are broken apart and still on the left or right, but separated... Here's why...

Amazon is becoming one of the largest online stores around. Their "create space" content uploader is requiring an interior bleed on your books. So if anyone wants to create a facing page spread in indesign, they will need to separate the pages into single pages so that they can work on making sure the graphics cover the bleed area as well as export properly since both…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. InDesign Accessibility Checker feature

I use Indesign to create ADA compliant documents. I constantly have to go between InDesign and Acrobat. It would be more productive if the accessibility features in Acrobat were included in InDesign. It would also be nice to have a built in color checker included in Indesign.

Is there a plug in available??

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Allow Open Office files to be imported

Open office is a popular format but indesign doesn't have a filter to let them be imported. All our contributors use Open Office but the only way I can import them is to open them up, copy and paste - and lose all formatting. Not EVERYTHING has to revolve around Microsoft, surely?

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. A feature that lets you copy the actions of a button and past it in another already existing button!

For example: If you have a button with the actions: Go to next page, and make a sound. i would like to see a feature that lets you copy these actions (Go to next page and make a sound, or any other action) without physically copying the whole button but only the actions within the button and paste it into another already existing button.

If you have a button with the action: make a sound when clicked, and you want to have all the other buttons to have the exact same action as the button with the sound, you have…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base