Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

How can we improve InDesign?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Snap to frame edges/layers

In Photoshop, there are very robust options for snapping to guides, grids, layers, document bounds, etc. each of which can be turned on and off individually.

In InDesign, snapping is much more limited and it is only possible to snap to guides. This means that whenever snapping is desired, guides must be created, which is an extra step that could be streamlined by expanding snapping options to be more like Photoshop.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Fit Page to Artwork Bounds or Selected Art

In Illustrator, there are two very useful features in the OBJECT >> ARTBOARDS menu:
    --Fit to Artwork Bounds
    --Fit to Selected Art

These automatically adjust the size of the artboard to either the outer boundaries of ALL the artwork on that artboard, or to the outer boundaries of the currently SELECTED artwork.

I use this all the time in Illustrator. To my knowledge there is no equivalent InDesign feature that automatically resizes a PAGE to the artwork on it. This would be very handy

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Object alignment to frame

Can there also be an option in the Align window to enable embedded or grouped objects to align with their parent frame? The feature would be disabled by default for parent or objects that don't have any child (embedded or grouped) objects.

The feature would enable users to align objects that are grouped/embedded to be aligned to the frames boundaries and horizontal/vertical centres, which would not be possible with current alignment options. It could also help users to align objects that have uniquely shaped frame boundaries.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. A simple quick command for flipping and rotating objects

I use the flip and rotate tool quick commands within illustrator all the time and am frustrated by all the clicking I have to do in indesign to do the same thing.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Conditional Text Automation

Make Conditional Text more automated by either linking it with Character Styles, or utilizing the GREP Feature to globally tag text,

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Center based on chosen Key Points

The ability to align object to a key object is very useful, but it would be great if users could specify two key points and center a new object between them. For example, when you want an object to be centered between an existing object and the edge of a page, being able to say "Center this object between *this* point and *this* point".

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. I'd like a light gray pasteboard with a dark grey theme

I'd like the option of a light gray pasteboard and a dark gray theme. I like the dark gray option, but I do not like the white pasteboard.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Illustrator views / layer visibility

In Illustrator, one can create custom views, which store both pan/zoom information but also, crucially, layer and sublayer visibility information. Being able to choose among these views when importing an Illustrator file would be very useful – imagine turning 40-ish layers on or off manually.

I frequently use different instances of the same Illustrator file in my InDesign work, with different Illustrator layers visible. The ability to use custom views would simplify this greatly.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Search in a text selection won't show

It's really annoying that I select some text and I want to Find/Replace something in that selected text and I can't do that within the Find/Replace window. Is this a bug or is there another reason why I can't do this?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. InDesign's own favourite 'edit original' software

With the feature "edit original" in the context menu of images, InDesign opens the image in the OS-default software.

I Think it would be handy to choose a different default edit-software for InDesign only.

If i want to use this feature (especially with shortcuts) I have to set the default software for all images to photoshop (system-wide!). But I do not want to use Photoshop everytime as a default for every image, it's only necessary in InDesign.

It would be great if I could set a default editing software in the settings of InDesign, in wich I can set the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Change link names from links palette

Sometimes we link to Illustrator or Photoshop files in a Guidelines document, which is a reference to that file as an asset, eg a logo.
    When lots of files are used in this way we often only then see that our files (links) are not names consistently. If we change the filename, then we have to relink everything.
    If we could simply rename the linked files from within the Links palette it would save a lot of time and frustration.
    This option could be dangerous for larger workgroups, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. More options when placing multiple images in a grid

It would be great to have more options when placing multiple images at once (shift-command). Currently, the default is a 9x9 grid. What if we could change the default to whatever we wanted – one long row, for instace. And what if we could preset distances between the images and orientations? I'm asking because this tool isn't that functional, as I need to adjust the image box sizes after positioning. I don't always need a 9x9 grid, nor have 9 image. It would be a great time-saver for heavy-production projects, like image-intensive books.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Adjustable column guides in text frames

Add the ability to adjust column guides inside text frames allowing for variable column widths within the text frame.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Convert Clipping Path to Frame for multiple objects

There is a command, Object > Clipping path > Convert Clipping Path to Frame. This will read the clipping path in a placed image and convert it to a frame. The command only works when only one object is selected, If multiple images are selected and every one of them has a clipping path the command is selectable but has no effect. There is no reason for this limitation.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. DataMerge icons/images inline into text frames

Add the ability to put file paths for icons/images with text in a cell, so that the images are merged inline with the text in a text frame. For example "Here is some text and here's an @icon.ai" would merge the icon.ai file into the text.

I know a lot of people who do work on card games using DataMerge, and this is the single most frequent request I get.

Currently the way we get around this is by merging text with placeholders like "[icon]", then copying the icon to the clipboard and doing a find and replace [icon] with…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Custom Interactive Button Hotspots

I would like the ability to customize the shape of the hotspot that appears on an object given the button function.

For example, if I create an oval and convert it to a button, I would like to apply state changes when I rollover only on the shape of the oval. Currently we're limited to a 0/90 degree container that encompasses the entirety of the object.

I'm unsure if this is a PDF format limitation.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Center-point auto-selected when rotating images in a content frame

I want this to be something I can set in InDesign with my workspace. If it isn't automatically set to centerm then allow me to change the preferences for the whole program.

I make manuals that require six photos a page, and I am always having to select the center point square in the rotation toolbar.

I would like the option for this to be my default.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Image Captions correctly (numerically) ordered in TOC

Currently it appears that numbered image captions that are anchored in text frames are sorted in a TOC according to location from left to right on a page regardless of image number ordering (ie logical numbered order of images may not be correctly sorted in the TOC. I would like to see the images sorted with reference to the 'logical' (numerical) order of the text anchors when the image caption text frames are anchored into a page text frame.
    see pics: https://www.dropbox.com/s/s6fmkf9iy4fwg9t/Image%20caption%20order%20on%20page%2031.PNG?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/p2pjyrautmsnxbu/Figure%20TOC%20order%20incorrect.PNG?dl=0
    This will provide flexibility to locate image captions anywhere on the page while maintaining logical order of…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Unequal inset values in an Object Style don't display in a text frame if corners are rounded

If you use an object style with unequal inset spacing and apply it to a text frame, the unequal spacing is ignore and made uniform.

Steps to recreate:
    1. Create an Object Style
    2. Go to 'Text Frame General Options' for that style
    3. Set unequal values for 'Inset Spacing'
    4. Go to 'Stroke & Corner Cptions'
    5. In 'Corner Options' set 'Rounded'
    6. Create a Text Frame
    7. Fill Text Frame with placeholder text
    8. Apply Object Style to Text Frame

Result: unequal inset spacing is ignored.

If you apply unequal inset spacing manually there are no problems —…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 17 18
  • Don't see your idea?

Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

Feedback and Knowledge Base