Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

How can we improve InDesign?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add "transform" to images

Would speed up my work if i could transform images (free, perspective warp, ...) in InDesign and not only in Photoshop.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Links panel: Place time

In "Links panel" we already have the option to add or change the columns displaying usefull info about the linked object. Choosing "Place Date" is an option to show the date when the object was placed.
    Now... it would be neat if, in addition, the column could show the "time" as well.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Image frame option 'fit to bleed'

I'd like to have option 'fit to bleed' next to 'fit to frame' etc. options. So I wouldn't need to move graphic frame corners manually to bleed area.

Not a major issue, but a little improvement :)

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. "Update Table of Contents" in right click context menu?

Off course after right clicking inside TOC text.

I don't know, why it isn't there already...

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Resize Document including Content

I know Liquid Layout, but I would love to have something simpler:
    If I resize a document, I would like to have the option to have the content be resized by the same percentages.

We often have to change the measurement of documents to accommodate different printing requirement. What we do now, is export a pdf and import it to a new document with a script. PDF ist resized proportionally on placement.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Multiple Cursor-Positioning

Multiple positioning of the cursor so multiple lines can be edited at the same time

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Frame / Cell strokes and border-radius more like CSS

As an extension of the idea 'Allow different coloured/weight strokes for sides of a text box' - I would like this to apply to table cells as well.

I use InDesign to do high-fidelity web UI mockups. It would be really nice if there were more options which corresponded directly to CSS.

What we would need is the ability to set a per-object or global equivalent to "box-sizing: border-box", so that stroke weights don't add to the size of a table cell, but always render aligned to the inside.

Secondly, give regular text frames the same editing ability as table…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Object style frame fitting: add 'align towards/away from spine'

This feature very useful for paragraph styles, for aligning type on facing pages on a spread. Would be equally useful for objects, so can align images towards/away from spine

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Absolute page numbers as a text variable

I propose adding "Absolute Page Number" as a text variable. Similar to Last Page Number, "Absolute Page Number" would allow the document creator to place the absolute page number of the layout onto a page while also using another page numbering system (sections, roman numerals, etc.).

With long documents now both being used in whole or separated into parts by clients, this would allow InDesign users to fulfill the issue of having a page carry two numbering schemes at the same time.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Allow users to pin their own favourites to the opening page.

Allow users to pin favourites to the opening page, so they can easily access a palette of their most used documents when they open the program.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Transform Each

There should be a Transform Each or "Transform Individually" tool, just like there is in Illustrator

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Give more design-controls to initials

Please more settings for initials in layouts. More precise distances, shading, coloring etc.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Allow Webp files to be used.

I know .webp is a web based format. webp should be a fuctional supported file format in All Adobe products without an aftermarket plugin.

If I am missing how to do this I would appreciate any info that can be provided.

Thanks

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Importing raw files

If importing feature raw files will possible, Photographers and layout artists are be happy for a very long time.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Animated zoom even without HiDPI screen. My Indesign CC doesn't support the feature yet my Illustrator CC on the exact same system setup doe

Animated zoom even without HiDPI screen. My Indesign CC doesn't support the feature yet my Illustrator CC on the exact same system setup does and is buttery smooth. Surely if Illustrator can do it on the exact same system Indesign can too?

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Please add "expand stroke" option

I do a lot of drawing in Indesign and often need to "expand" strokes. This feature exists in Illustrator and I use it frequently, but the round-trip is cumbersome and time-consuming. Please bring this basic feature over to ID.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Multi-relinking with one click

In large projects like catalogues in different languages on own layers, I often have to relink a lot of identical signets (eps) with the appropriate ones in another language on another layer. Sadly it seems to be impossible to do that with one single click. I have to relink every single file separately. The command "Relink all instances …" only works at link folders but not on a group of selected links filtered with the layers in the links panel column. It would be great to relink only a selection of links of the same image with only one click.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Need much larger document size

The max 5468mm document size is very small and makes large posters, signage, wallpaper and murals very difficult to create in Adobe. To make things worse Acrobat will not export to 5468mm so this can cause more issue.

This has been an issue for years now and really as a professional standard program its not good enough.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Individual arrowheads like in Illustrator

In Illustrator it is possible to create individual arrowheads (although a little bit more complicated as I'd like to but possible).
    In InDesign somehow I can't.
    I always have to use a certain kind of arrow which I'd love to be able to add to the "library or choice of arrowheads".

Here’s a video I found regarding arrowheads in Illustrator:
    https://youtu.be/R3vTTmUJRF8

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. X + Y Location

We have the X and Y fields to get exact locations of objects. It would be nice to have a button that would copy BOTH the X and Y location, and then allow you to paste that location with an object selected.

This would be useful if you have several pages where a different logo (or copy) on each page needs to be in the same location. You could grab the X/Y location of the logo on the first page, then go to other pages and paste that X/Y location to make sure each logo on each page is in…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

Feedback and Knowledge Base