Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

How can we improve InDesign?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Round corners should not be quarter circles connected with lines.

The eye will spot the connection points so these points need extra care.
    Adobe should study how Apple shaved off these points on the icons in the iOS. System iOS 6 had the round-corner-fault but in iOS 7 the shape is much better.
    I wish Adobe could give us tools to control the round corners, to shave off these connections points. Old Freehand had this feature. Please bring it back to Illustrator and InDesign.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Placed images should place based on resolution, not size.

When placing 300 dpi image into 72 ppi environment, it should place as real size (perhaps with warning if much larger than placing environment), and vice versa: when placing 72 ppi image into 300 dpi document, it should be 24% the size.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Support Schema within InDesign

Currently, the InDesign Supports to load DTD in the XML structure. This would help us to validate XML within InDesign and it ensures the quality and time saving to the users as well.

The recent times we use to receive Schema from the customer. We cannot load Schema into InDesign since it does not support. The user tend to make many mistakes in XML in InDesign and unable to validate within InDesign. Currently, we validate XML against schema outside InDesign rather than within InDesign like DTD.

Great help to users if Schema is supports to Load in InDesign. This would…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. data merge multiple records: right to left

A right to left option when putting multiple records per page. Useful when printing backs of tags, etc.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Enable Animated/Scrubby Zoom

Add the animated/scrubby zoom feature for PC users--it's time. It's ridiculous Photoshop and Illustrator has it, but not InDesign? Since Mac users are given tools PC users don't have, perhaps Adobe should discount our subscription fee.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. "Ignore Text Wrap" checkbox in Toolbar / Accessible in Quick Apply

1. A box in the Toolbar to check "Ignore text wrap" - for this box; And either/or make the command accessible in the quick apply list.

2. I find that I am doing this a lot to play around with designs to adapt - or not - to a image run-around. I don't want to have to find if there is a shortcut that might address this or a script.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. color labels onto style-groups

I would appreciate to have the possibility giving colors to style groups. Like the layer-labels in Photoshop. If you have many styles, you would have a better optical separation.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Pattern support

I am surprised pattern support has not arrived for InDesign yet. I would like to be able to pick a repeating pattern or drop a png of a pattern in and select to repeat it vertically and/or horizontally within a frame.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Image frames grow in height or width

Similar to the options that we have for text boxes, Autosize to height, width, both etc, could we do the same for images and then use the fit to frame options to control how the text boxes grow.

i.e you import and landscape image into a image holder, it is set to fit to height, but then the width grows or shrinks accordingly to fit the image. this can then effect text wrap.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Max size in Text Frame options.

Why is there a minimum size for text frames, but not a maximum size. We use Auto-size combined with text-wrap a lot with liquid layout templates to allow text to adapt to it's new sizes/dimensions. Occasionally it would be great if we could build a maximum size that the text box can grow too instead of giving it the minimum size.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Inline graphic text wrap

I'm a long time InDesign user but am baffled by the inline graphic options currently offered. That ID ignores text wrap settings of the pasted graphic is counter-intuitive, the need to place a paragraph causes unwanted spaces between paragraphs (should the graphic not extend to the full width of the text block), and the visual "anchor object" and "anchor position" options has the graphic jump all over the place without reflecting the usual anchor point behavior I expect. Thank you.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Cannot paste grouped object into graphic cell - when could previously.

Adobe InDesign CC, 2017.1 Release
    Version 12.1.0.56 x 64 build

I used to be able to paste a grouped object (for example, an image with a bit of text overlayed on it) into a graphic cell in a table. Currently this is not working - I can put a regular image (just a linked image) into a graphic cell, but as soon as I try to "paste into" a copied grouped object, it does not even offer paste into as an option.

This issue is present in tables used by multiple users in different files - not a bug in…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Need more info  ·  6 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add the ability to 'warp' live text

We do the vast majority of our designing in InDesign, so having to go to Illustrator to manipulate text is quite a disconnect to the workflow.

Unless you take the entire layout to Illustrator it is hard to get the text 'warp' accurate to your layout. It involves too much trial and error jumping between the programmes.

We know Illustrator is very capable, but so is InDesign. In fact some of the vector drawing tools in InDesign are far better designed than Illustrators equaivalents - so much so that it is often easier to create artwork entirely in InDesign.

Thanks!

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. DataMerge icons/images inline into text frames

Add the ability to put file paths for icons/images with text in a cell, so that the images are merged inline with the text in a text frame. For example "Here is some text and here's an @icon.ai" would merge the icon.ai file into the text.

I know a lot of people who do work on card games using DataMerge, and this is the single most frequent request I get.

Currently the way we get around this is by merging text with placeholders like "[icon]", then copying the icon to the clipboard and doing a find and replace [icon] with…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Improvement suggestions ‘paragraph’ menu

Baseline grid value ‘increment every’ field in paragraph menu.
    - Now you have to go to preferences first. It is a significant option for layout.

Reset option for 'left indent' and 'first line left indent'. Reset to 0/0
    - annoying that I first have to adjust the bottom input field and then the upper one.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Place > (Show Import Options)

I use this feature daily and would so prefer to use my keyboard arrow keys to cycle through the image thumbnails than the tiny dialogue box arrows.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. select page on PDF place with drag and drop

When I drag & drop a multipage PDF it place ever the first page. It could be useful a shortcut to select the other page

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. History and Layer Linking

Add a history palette, as well as, the ability to link items in the layers palette like Photoshop does.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add and option to auto-convert RGB images to CMYK in Indesign, instead of doing it in Photoshop

When we package any file from Indesign, we many times need to make sure, that all images are in CMYK color profile before sending it to printer. We get warnings if images aren't in CMYK, but it would be nice to have an option to auto-convert all images to CMYK, instead of individually going in Photoshop.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Please add Object Layer options also for TIFF files format that support layers

Object Layer Options are accessible for Photoshop and Illustrator and PDF files. It would be great to have that for TIFF files as well.

Thank you!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

Feedback and Knowledge Base