1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add image sharpening before output

We should be able to apply sharpening (such as "unsharp masking") to images on the InDesign page.
    Currently, the only solution is to place an image, scale it to size in InDesign, and then go back to Photoshop to scale it, resample it (change to proper resolution), and then apply appropriate sharpening… and then go update or re-place it in InDesign. It is very inefficient!
    I want InDesign to apply global-sharpening to an image at the proper size, when it outputs to PDF or prints.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Quick image adjustments in InDesign

Sometimes when creating a document I need to ever so slightly brighten the image or adjust the contrast, maybe increase the saturation; and standard workflow means pulling these up in Photoshop and applying the changes and the saving (often as a new file so as to preserve the original).

This always seems like alot of effort for something that I feel could be done on InDesigns side.

I am suggesting image quick adjustments.

So an image is coming out slightly too dark. No worries, right click, apply quick adjustments. A new tool box will open that will have basic image…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow Open Office files to be imported

Open office is a popular format but indesign doesn't have a filter to let them be imported. All our contributors use Open Office but the only way I can import them is to open them up, copy and paste - and lose all formatting. Not EVERYTHING has to revolve around Microsoft, surely?

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Preserve positioning data when pasting graphic from one frame to another

When I copy an image from one frame and paste it into another, I expect this action to preserve two sets of attributes: scaling factor and positioning data.

I get one out of two (scaling).

No offense, but QuarkXPress could do both back in 1990.

Why does this matter? Imagine a layout with a horizontal row of head shots, each in a separate frame of the same shape and size. Client says, "Oh, please move photo 3 to frame 10, and scoot everyone else up one frame."

I don't have to imagine this situation, as I'm currently working on a…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Multiple Cursor-Positioning

Multiple positioning of the cursor so multiple lines can be edited at the same time

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Effects styles similar to Photoshop?

For example, I have a better looking set of values for drop shadows besides the default. However I have to manually enter these in every time, no way to save them as a preset. It would be nice to at least be able to copy the saved style preset from an object to another, similar to the way you can in Photoshop.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Pathfinder operations working on open paths

Pathfinder should work with open paths. That would make it easy to cut a number of open paths to form. Can be very performant for preparing threaded text paths for curved prints like adhesive labels, stickers or price labels where text must follow the outer shapes.

Alternatively: Allow text wrapping with text on text paths!

Best,
    Uwe Laubender
    ( ACP )

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. 'Fixed width' option for paragraph rules and styles

Hi There,

There's a long history in the forums for this request; Fixed width and alignment for paragraph rules.

See attached; Need a dropdown option to select 'Fixed width' and then length and alignment options.

Also need this carried over to paragraph styles.

Cheers

Ben

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Desaturate-filter / Black&White adjustment-layer on photos/graphics

A simple and proper way to desaturate photos/graphics to greyscale using pure black.

Also, a Black&White adjustment-layer on photos/graphics to output greyscale using rich black.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Image frame option 'fit to bleed'

I'd like to have option 'fit to bleed' next to 'fit to frame' etc. options. So I wouldn't need to move graphic frame corners manually to bleed area.

Not a major issue, but a little improvement :)

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Allow snapping and dynamic guides to work on the pasteboard

I know guides snap while in the pasteboard and as long as they're infinite but many of us have to work outside the print area by several reasons including the use of many objects or several options that you put next to each other while working on the fly.

Seems to me that its absence is a limiting non-feature that we learned to work with but it doesn't take too much resources to include.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Add the ability to 'warp' live text

We do the vast majority of our designing in InDesign, so having to go to Illustrator to manipulate text is quite a disconnect to the workflow.

Unless you take the entire layout to Illustrator it is hard to get the text 'warp' accurate to your layout. It involves too much trial and error jumping between the programmes.

We know Illustrator is very capable, but so is InDesign. In fact some of the vector drawing tools in InDesign are far better designed than Illustrators equaivalents - so much so that it is often easier to create artwork entirely in InDesign.

Thanks!

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add Sticky Notes to Incopy like in Acrobat

The Layout and the the Editors work pretty close together in our company. The ability for the Editors to correct their text in the Layoutview is a nice thing for both... Layout and Editors. But we really miss the "Sticky Note" Feature known from Acrobat. When the Editors try to communicate, that they want changes being applied to the Design, thats not really possible with Incopy right now. For example, the editors would love to click the sticky note tool, so that they could place it right next to a picture and add their notes. For exmample: "make this one…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Auto numbering of poetry verses

Add the ability to automatically number poetry and drama every 5 or 10 lines or paragraphs

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Allow Webp files to be used.

I know .webp is a web based format. webp should be a fuctional supported file format in All Adobe products without an aftermarket plugin.

If I am missing how to do this I would appreciate any info that can be provided.

Thanks

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. remove image from links panel

In the Links Panel, it would be very handy to remove an image that is listed simply by right clicking on it and removing it.

For example, I just manually removed over 500 images from image frames using the direct select tool. Theoretically, I could have selected those 500 images in the Links Panel, and removed them in the right click menu.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Allow footnotes start not on the same page as their marker

Indesign is strictly forcing the rule that a footnote should start on the same page where its footnote reference is located. While this is usualy helpful, sometimes it creates problems like large white areas or even complete inability to layout the text.
    See for example the images below. Image 1 shows how indesign can't put any text and leaves white pages - actually the layout stops here and no text is viewable on next pages.
    Image 2 shows the reason: there are 2 footnote markers on the same row, both with long texts on the footnotes. so when the text…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Enable Animated/Scrubby Zoom

Add the animated/scrubby zoom feature for PC users--it's time. It's ridiculous Photoshop and Illustrator has it, but not InDesign? Since Mac users are given tools PC users don't have, perhaps Adobe should discount our subscription fee.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Align to selection / Align to page

Pressing Alt button could switch from "align to selection" to "align to page" when clicking on one of the align icons.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Object style frame fitting: add 'align towards/away from spine'

This feature very useful for paragraph styles, for aligning type on facing pages on a spread. Would be equally useful for objects, so can align images towards/away from spine

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base