Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. InDesign 13.0.1 can not follow an alias on a server share anymore

InDesign 13.0.1 on a apple mac running 10.13.3 does not recognize alias (links) on a server share anymore. Photoshop still does.

Steps: Go to a server share, no matter if an smb or afp share.
    Create a folder A. Place an file inside, e. g. 1.jpeg
    Create an alias from folder A => A alias.
    In InDesign choose OPEN:
    Go to the server share
    The Folder A is in black typo an available. Highlight A and you see the file.
    The Alias A alias is gray, InDesign does not recognize the link.
    Do the same in Photoshop, you will…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

7 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

If you create an alias of a folder (located on a server) and drag it to the desktop, it works. For quick creation of aliases this way, press Option-Command while you drag the original item to the desktop.
    Note : Accessing items of an folder’s alias located on a server has not worked in previous releases of InDesign too.

2. BUG: Imported InDesign file gives wrong preview

When I create an InDesign 'web'-file and apply a gradient feather the preview of this file does not show the elements which have the effect applied to.
    When I create a new 'print'file with the same dimensions and elements the preview is correct.
    It seems strange that these files seem different in their backbone somehow.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Effects/Transparency  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. InDesign not preserving local image placement, rotations, dimensions etc. when relinking after Photoshop edit thru links panel

Yes, preference is set to "preserve image dimensions when relinking". Version 13.0.1 for Mac.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. cannot package files 10.13.6

InDesign CC 2018/ 10.13.6

Cannot package files. Ongoing issue.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Background Task Animation Error

Adobe InDesign CC 2018 13.1 (latest version)
    macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 (latest version)
    Expected result: When a Background Task is being run, the animated progress bar to rise and fall (ex. 0,1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,1,0,1...)
    Actual result: When a Background Task is being run, the animated progress bar rises and falls incorrectly (ex. 0,1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,0,1,1,2...)

I notice this a lot since I am exporting multiple PDFs a day. As soon as each is done, I need to copy them to send via emails/upload to other servers/etc.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. iMac, High Sierra, InDesign 2019. Error inserting images into rotated document pages.

iMac, High Sierra, InDesign 2019. Error when inserting images into a document (starting from the second page), in which they have an attribut page - turns the speed view = 90 degrees CW. At the same time increases the pasteboard and the image is inserted outside pasteboard.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. InDesign CC2019 PDF comments pallet closing when douments close closes all attached/combined pallets

The PDF Comments pallet automatically closes when you close a document, any document, no matter if it has PDF comments or not, which closes any pallet that is either combined or attached to it, which, if you don't want to keep opening and closing it all the time is annoying as I tend to keep pallets I use regularly or semi-regularly open all the time.

System:
    macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)
    Late 2014 27" iMac Retina 5K
    3.5GHz i5
    16GB DDR3

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. table changes format for no reason

When I create a new table and attempt to drop it into an Indesign CC 2019 layout, it completely changes format and cell sizes and is missing type in some cells.... I've attempted to place it into a new doc, and old doc it isn't staying formatted.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. PDF comments panel starts scrolling on it's own

At random the panel starts scrolling whenever the mouse is over the panel.

Moving the mouse off the panel for a few seconds usually stops it and I can continue working

On OSx and 2019

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. After adjusting a link and renewing it, indesign fits automatically fits it to frame

I did notice that the link options weren't turned on properly but i turned them on and the result was the same.
    Also figured it might have to to with the auto-fit option but i double checked and it's not turned on... this is super annoying. I'm honestly afraid that it'll juggle everything about when i make a minor change.....

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. change of page dimensions won't resize alternate layout

changed page dimensions but indesign won't resize alternate layout
    changed to 5.5" from 5" and it won't re-size the alternate vertical layout.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)

Adobe InDesign team

13. Bottom of Text Wrap is Incorrect

My body text doesn't wrap tightly to the bottom text wrap of my object like it does at the top (see gap between text wrap and start of body text).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Rounded corners aren't perfectly rounded

Why aren't rounded corners perfectly rounded? I created a 100x100px square, rounded the corners to 50px which should give me a perfect circle except it doesn't.

46 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,
    Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 15.0

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 15.0
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

-InDesign Team

15. Make bulleted lists act correctly when it's moved by text wrap

The bullets on the image attached have a left indent of 3 mm and a first line left indent -3 mm, but have incorrect layout, because the adjacent text box has text wrap applied, which displaces the text with bullets.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Basic Functionality breaking on each update

i am really annoyed that Indesign keeps breaking basic functionality when it makes an update. I have used paste without formatting for years without incidence and now it doesn't always work when I need it.

Typing in new frames requires 2 clicks and requires a tweak to the settings to work right?!

I don't want any new functionality if it is going to break things like typing and pasting, many things that used to be one click are now many. That is not how this should work!!!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Recent Files thumbails don't match corresponding documents

When choosing an ID document to open from the "recent files" screen, the wrong file opens; i.e., the document that opens does not match the document that I clicked on. Or, sometimes I get an error claiming that the document cannot be found, but the file is indeed right where I left it. This does not happen every time...sometimes the right document does open from the recent files screen, but not usually. This has only been happening to me only for the past week or two. I have not moved my files, changed folder names, replaced hard drives, or any…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Crashing when entering text in paragraph style name field

To get this crash...
    Duplicate an existing Paragraph Style via Panel drop down menu.

Select text in name field.

Type... crashes within the first couple of characters.

Message... Internal Error

Doesn't happen every time, but too often.

Adobe InDesign CC 2018

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

19. Can't use num. keypad for shortkeys

Hi, I'm using InDesign v 13.1 x64 (up to date) on my laptop (Windows 10).
    On Photoshop and Illustrator, I've no issue with shortkeys but on InDesign, I can't do "CTRL+0" for example. When I try to edit shortkeys, the software doesn't recognize my input, as if I wasn't pressing "0".
    Thanks for fixing it. :)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

In InDesign, the numeric keypad is only meant to assign shortcuts to Styles – Paragraph, Character, Object, Table.

For assigning shortcuts to other Application’s commands, you’ll have to use the other shortcuts – for e.g., to use Cmd+1 to bring image to 100%, you will have to press Cmd and the ‘1’ key that is above the letter keys (on English keyboard, 1 is above letter Q).

Hope it helps to clarify how shortcuts work in InDesign.

Adobe InDesign team

20. Can't Open JPEG file

Hi there

I am having trouble opening up .jpeg files from Indesign. It is installed as a part of my Creative Cloud subscription. Please see attached for the error that pops up. Your help will be appreciated.

Thanks
    G

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base