Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Changes are not tracked when you copy and paste text from more than one cell into a table

1. This exists in all version of InDesign and InCopy.

2. To reproduce (see corresponding images):

a) Create a new document with a table filled with text and in InCopy set it to tr.ack changes.

b.) Copy the contents of at least two cells.

c.) Paste the contents into different cells.

d.) Initially these changes will be showed as tracked in story/galley view.

e.) When the document is saved and the reopened these changes are no longer tracked.

3. The expected result is that the changes should remain tracked after the document is saved and reopened.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Problem with Bookmarks that contain special characters

I have a document with bookmarks that contain phrases with words containing special characters (specifically Italian accents, for example: L’ubiquità della collaborazione)

Then I have buttons at the top of the document. Each button links to a specific bookmark. If the bookmarks contain this characters/accents, the button don't work.
    So the buttons only work when linking to bookmarks not contain special characters/accents.

Solved the problem by changing the procedure I used to create bookmarks:

This is what WON'T WORK:
    - highlighting all the text and then create a bookmark.
    Pro: The bookmarks are added automatically with all the sentence that…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. InDesign CC 2018 macOS High Sierra - BUG FIX REQUEST - Text Variable File Extension

Steps: TYPE/ TEXT VARIABLE/ DEFINE/ FILE NAME/ EDIT / Select or de-select "Include File Extension"

Expected results: Should be able to add or remove file extension by select or de-selecting the "Include File Extension" check box.

Actual results: File extension cannot be removed by un-checking the "Include File Extension" box, when adding a text variable under the File name field... See attached...

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. arabic

Cursor Direction when typing Arabic or other RTL languages. in Middle Eastern version ONLY.

1. All Middle Eastern versions (English يدعم العربية)

2. Type Arabic text. Place the cursor within text. Hold "Shift" key and click on right arrow key on the keyboard to select/highlight text. Cursor moves left and select next character on the left while clicking on right arrow.

3. To select a character to the left of the cursor, we should hold (Shift+left arrow) To select a character to the right of the cursor, we should hold (Shift+right arrow)

4. What actually is happening now and for…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Discretionary Line Break doesn't work in CC 2018

In InDesign CC 2018, text won't automatically break where a Discretionary Line Break is inserted—such as after an Em-dash. This feature worked in InDesign CS6.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Application quits

When I highlight text and go to the font menu, the application quits. This always happens the first time I do it. From then on, it works fine. Yet, it has become very annoying. I have a Mac running on High Sierra OS 10.13.2. I'm using InDesign 13.0.1.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. World Ready Paragraph Composer not working for Tibetan

Adobe 2017.1 release, build 12.1.0.56

Adobe World-Ready Paragraph Composer (AWRPC) for Tibetan fonts does not work in InDesign. While this was not an issue in CS4 since the Adobe Paragraph Composer (APC) was working well for at least two fonts (Jomolhari-ID and SambhotaUnicode), it has become an issue preventing us from using any later versions of InDesign: the APC became unusable for Jomolhari (our main font), and since the AWRPC was never completely working, we are now in a situation where neither APC or AWRPC works… (though SambhotaUnicode still works for APC only).

Jomolhari-ID can be downloaded here: https://collab.its.virginia.edu/access/content/group/26a34146-33a6-48ce-001e-f16ce7908a6a/Tibetan%20fonts/Tibetan%20Unicode%20Fonts/Jomolhari-ID-a3d.zip

Attached…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Auto-size text boxes with rounded corners expands randomly.

Version 2018, 13.0

Set a text box to auto size height and width (with no line breaks)
    Make the corners rounded
    As you can see in the attached jpgs of before and after, sometimes the box expands in width and sometimes in height, but randomly, not wrapping around the text correctly.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Find text and replace doesn't work with this new update!

1. Find text and replace doesn't work with this new update!
    2. I (and many others) have requested that footnotes work in tables - is this ever going to happen?? Please..!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    Can you please add a small video (on WeTransfer/Youtube/Dropbox) and post a link here so that it can be looked into?
    We have tried to reproduce it but unable to do it.
    Also, please try once after clearing your cache and preferences. forums.adobe.com/thread/526990
    -Aman

10. search

I use CC 2017, but of course have seen this issue in other versions, Mac, and PC. When typing in a search term, like search term, the letters I type in show up backward, if at all, so mret chraes... which of course makes searching impossible. I can close the program, close the dialog box, and it still keeps coming up. It's so frustrating when you have 1000s of pages and need to find multiple words in between to keep opening/closing/shutting down

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Need more info  ·  2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. InDesign freezing when pressing backspace in a text box of more than 500 or 600 words

This only seems to be a problem when using long text boxes more than a few hundred words. InDesign starts to slow down while I'm typing, but if I then select text or press backspace (mostly the latter) then InDesign freezes for 10 to 15 seconds.

I've searched the problem, but the only solution I have found is to try closing the info panel, but this seems to be a CS3 fix and doesn't work.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Bug in Adobe World-Ready Composer for Kannada Language

Attached are Adobe Indesign document, Scribus (v1.5.3) document, PDF outputs.

Fonts used: Hubballi available at https://github.com/erinmclaughlin/Hubballi/blob/master/build/Hubballi-Regular.otf

Tunga: Available in Windows 10 as part of Kannada language pack.

Scribus uses "Harfbuzz" text shaping engine. It doesn't any issue shaping Kannada text, except for one case; U+0CCD U+200D which is canonical equivalence of U+200D U+0CCD. Harfbuzz has accepted this bug and will be fixed in the next release. https://github.com/behdad/harfbuzz/issues/435 https://github.com/behdad/harfbuzz/issues/341

Adobe indesign Adobe World-Ready Composer has lots of bugs with shaping Kannada text.

Please rectify as soon as possible.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  Sumit Garg responded

Thanks for reporting this issue.
    We have verified this issue and forwarded this issue to our Indic languages expert team for investigation.

Once investigation is complete, We will definitely update this post.

13. The order of Arabic digits is reversed when changing their character direction

1. Adobe InDesign CC 2017.1
    2. Create a textbox, type Arabic characters including some digits. Change character direction from 'Default' to 'Right to Left'.
    3. Arabic letters are RTL, but Arabic digits are written LTR; So when you change character direction to RTL, they should be in their right direction.
    4. Letters are RTL, but digits are reversed. The problem is that Arabic script is written RTL, but its digits' direction is LTR. Just like when you move caret and logically it moves in correct direction.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Shortcuts messed up after update to CC

InDesign CC 12.1.0.56 (2017.1)
    MacOS Sierra 10.12.5

(1) The default super- and subscript shortcuts (cmd+shift+= and ctrl+cmd+shift+=) do not work on mac num keyboard. Had to change shortcuts.
    (2) When using the default shortcut for italics (cmd+shift+I) the text is changed to "Heavy Italic" instead of "Italic" with the (legal) Avenir Next font family.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Footnote disappears

A footnote disappeared without reason then appeared back when I changed something in the page layout. This is a very important bug because InDesign didn't display any kind of warning about this problem: no red indicator of missing text or overfull text block. I noticed it by chance. Please look at the screen captures to understand it: the number 2 footnote is missing whereas the footnote number is present in the text. In the other screen capture, the problem has been solved.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Mongolian

Issue: InDesign does not support Mongolian vertical text direction from left-to-right.

Version: InDesign 2019, 14.0.2 x64

Steps:
    1. Place or paste Mongolian text into an InDesign text frame by using the attached Word document
    2. Skew the text frame 90 degrees (as done with vertical Chinese and Japanese).

Expected result: Please see the attached Word document and screenshot.

Actual result: Notice that the vertical text direction is right-to-left and not left-to-right. Even if the text frame is skewed in the opposite direction (minus 90 degrees) the text is just mirrored and thus not readable.

Test files and screenshot: They are…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Using glyphs in a text variable

I've defined a text variable that I use for a running header. This variable is defined from the first use of a "chapter title" paragraph style that I've also defined. I've inserted this variable on my A-master page, which is synced between documents in my book. The problem I'm running into is that I've used a number of glyphs in the text comprising the first use of that style, and the text variable (my running header) looks garbled: it's missing letters and has mixed caps. If it matters, the font I'm using is Orpheus Pro Bold.

Attached are two screenshots:…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Indesign cannot be embedded in Chinese fonts

Indesign cannot be embedded in Chinese fonts, but can only be embedded in subsets. It is recommended to add warning reminders.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. When printing files from InDesign, we are experiencing issues. Random text is appearing bold that is not formatted as bold in the original w

When printing files from InDesign, we are experiencing issues. Random text is appearing bold that is not formatted as bold in the original working file. Also we are experiencing pictures imported that are pdfs as a black block and not showing the imported picture on the printed document. Do you have any recommendations on how this can be resolved? The only way we found to get around the matter is to create a pdf and print from the pdf. This issue has just been happening recently, we’ve never had this issue before.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base