Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)

Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

Bug details

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Reflowing Bug when Resizing Text Box with Footnotes (following pages turns empty / lag in reflowing )

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2015)
    macOS Sierra
    2.8 GHz Intel Core i5
    16gb Ram
    Indesign 14.0.1

Reflowing Bug when Resizing Text Box with Footnotes. As you can see in the video, the following page turns blank when I resize a text box to fit more content. Also, every I do this, the lag is noticeable. I tried with InDesign CC2018 and its more responsive.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 2 Headings in 1 cell is displayed incorrectly in the TOC

Since InDesign version 14.0 x64 (Windows), when creating or updating a TOC, the second heading is directly connected to the first heading without any distance and without chapter number. This only happens if both source headings are in 1 cell.

The proof: Documents made before version 14 have a correct TOC. If I open such a document with version 14 and update the TOC, it will break as mentioned above.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

3. Unable to change fonts

I am unable to change fonts.

Changing weights seems to work, but changing fonts does not work.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

Please try it out with the latest release and if even then you encountering the same issue, please add a small video (on WeTransfer/Youtube/Dropbox) describing the issue and share the link.

Please do mention your machine configuration like OS, Locale. You can also send files/links directly to paawasth@adobe.com.

Thanks,
    Payal Awasthi (InDesign Team)

4. Import XLSX spreadsheet to an InDesign table: the "-1" problem

1. InDesign CS4 - CC2017

2. Generate an Excel spreadsheet that contains at least one cell with the value "-1". Save as XLSX. Import/place (cmd-d) this file as "unformatted table".

3. the cells with the value "-1" should still have this value.

4. the cells are empty. All other values seem to show up correctly.

Additional information: Working regularly on Annual Reports with 100+ tables, our choice is to import as „unformatted table“ and to do all formatting in InDesign. After changes in Excel, all we have to do is updating the linked tables via the link panel. Table contents…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Stroke Drawing Order not working

InDesign 2019 on MacOS 10.13.6

Steps to reproduce
    Define table stroke using the proxy in the Control panel (see screenshot) and try to change the Stroke Drawing Order.

Expected result
    Stroke Drawing Order "Row Strokes In Front" should be as selected in "Table Options"

Actual result
    Row Strokes are not in front. All strokes which are altered using the control panel options remain unchanged.
    If a new table is setup using only the menu options (Cell Options > Strokes And Fills) everything works fine.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

In the Table Setup dialog, do the following:

In the Row Strokes section (2nd tab), choose Alternating Pattern : Every Other Row and then make the First 1 Rows and Next 1 Rows the exact same settings.

In the Column Strokes section (3rd tab), choose Alternating Pattern: Every Other Column and then make the First 1 Columns and Next 1 Columns the exact same settings.

In the Table Setup section (1st tab), you can set the Table Border as 0mm and Stroke Drawing Order as ‘Row Strokes in Front’.

Most probably this should help you get the results you are after. Try this out and let us know if it helps.

Adobe InDesign team

6. Text disappears from text boxes on certain pages.

The text in some of the text boxes just disappears when reopened, especially in files that are a couple of days old.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Undo does not work properly on deleted text, it only deletes one character at a time instead of whole block of text

I am on a Mac and this is a problem with InDesign 2018.

If you backspace delete two or more characters from text, undo (Ctrl+Z) only restores one character at a time instead of the whole block that was deleted in that action.

Undo worked fine in previous versions of InDesign, and it works fine in Word and other apps.

I have tried deleting InDesign preferences and caches and even reinstalled it with import previous prefereces unchecked, but the problem remains, and I cannot find any solution. Can someone please help?

Macbook Air now running High Sierra 10.13.2 (but problem…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Need more info  ·  3 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Cursor spins and text display lags while typing

ISSUE: While typing, text display will freeze/lag, and the cursor will change to a loading icon for about 2 seconds, then the text will finally appear all at once after the loading icon changes back to a regular cursor. This happens while typing in a regular text box.

EXPECTED RESULT: I expect text to appear on screen immediately as I press the key on the keyboard, not after a 2 second lag.

Version: InDesign CC 13.0 x64

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Cross reference takes more space than its text

A cross reference sometimes takes up more space than its actual text.

In the attached shows a frame with text with the right side of the text frame visible and the word "with" (above) extending well beyond the 2nd to last line in the frame. The "112" in the picture is a cross reference. When that cross reference is removed and "regular" text is typed in the 112 fits on the line.

Question first posted and confirmed by another here: https://forums.adobe.com/message/10908454#10908454.

This happens in CS6 and in CC2019, 14.0.1 x64.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. excel import filter fails formatting

When importing an Excel spreadsheet, formatted cells are incorrectly imported.

E.g., place the following one-cell spreadsheet in CC 2018 (not tested in earlier, but I imagine it's true there), and you'll see either "10,000,000,000,000.0." in the cell (under macOS) or "1,000.0" (under Windows).

Needless to say, this is a critical bug for people using Excel with InDesign, since it causes serious mis-representations of imported numbers.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    Thanks for reporting this issue. We have seen this issue being reported by some users ever since Paragraph Shading as a feature was introduced in InDesign.
    I have marked this issue as “Under Review” for consideration by the InDesign team.

-Aman

12. Excel filter rejects custom Cell Range for 26-column sheets (.xlsx-only)

Excel filter rejects custom Cell Range for 26-column sheets (.xlsx-only)

Steps to reproduce the issues:
    1. Create a new document.
    2. Select File > Place, check Show Import Options, select attached Columns_26.xlsx file.
    3. Note nonstandard default Cell Range: A1:A@10 (should be A1:Z10).
    4. Enter custom (valid) Cell Range "A1:E5"

Expected result:
    No error and a table containing cells A1 through E5.

Actual result:
    Error message, "You have not entered a valid 'Cell Range'. (See attached screenshot.)

This error is given for any sheet whose right-most column is a multiple of 26 (so Z, AZ, BZ, etc.). Place the attached…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Hanging Indent plus Left Justify makes words float out of text frame

I often use bulleted lists with the commmand/backslash (hanging indent) tool. If the text is aligned left, no problem. But when I use left justify, it sends some of the words off to the right — outside of the text frame! Please see examples below.

The text samples here were using Adobe Paragraph Composer. But when I switched it to World-Ready it fixed it!

I've been having this problem for a while. Before I updated to InDesign 2018 and after the update as well. I'm running El Capitan 10.11.6 on a Mid 2011 iMac.

Solved in this thread: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2462045

Here…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Table header is missing after copy/paste

When I copy/paste a table, the header line is missing. My workaround is to change the height of the next line, then the header line appears. Then I change the height back to the actual height.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Spell checker in InDesign CC2018 (13.0) has lost its mind

InDesign spell check is randomly not recognising everyday words and when I acknowledge it by clicking Ignore All or Skip, it stops again on the very next word to report an Uncapitalised Sentence. This is happening whether I have the Dictionary set to Proximity or Hunspell.

I cannot find a pattern other than that, but I have now experienced it on ten different InDesign documents. It is very annoying, but I am also left to wonder whether it is actually missing other words that might actually need correction?? PLEASE HELP.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. story editor

In my notes, the first character is always substituted with a missing font symbol. It looks fine in the main layout window, but this odd behavior occurs both in the Notes panel, as well as the same note when displayed in the story editor.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. find font

Find Font isn't working for certain fonts. See the attached gif. I'm trying to change a passage of text set it Calibri (which I don't have installed) but when I open Find Font, Calibri isn't listed there so I'm unable to swap it out

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. font selection jumps to top of list

When trying to select a font from the Character Dialog, after I scroll to almost the font that I want to select, the list jumps back up to the top, repeatedly. It's very frustrating.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. lag selecting text

InDesign 14.0.1

1. Switch to InDesign from another program
    2. Select either Selection Tool or Direct Select tool
    3. Double click on the text to place a cursor among the text
    4. Double click again to select a word

Expected result: quick action from step to step

Actual result: a few seconds of lag

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Moving curser in text box with control key + arrows is not possible anymore

Before the update, you could move the curser by pressing the control key and the arrow keys. The Curser would jump one word by another in the appropriate direction. Now, that is not possible anymore. (InDesign 14.00.01)

Windows 7 Professional

Also the key for the right mouse klick (kontext menue) is not working anymore.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base