Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. When applying underline feature to TateChuYoko, the underline doesn't show

When applying underline feature to TateChuYoko characters, the underline doesn't show. It means, the underline feature is set correctly, but it does not appear against TateChuYoko characters. We’ve struggled to this bug for a long time. As workaround, we have to create Anchor objects for TateChuYoko characters, or to put stroke lines instead of underline. These workarounds waste a lot of time. Please fix this ASAP.ASAP.

[Japanese]
    縦中横に下線機能を適用しても、下線が表示されないバグ

縦中横の文字に、下線機能を適用しても、下線が表示されないバグがあります。私たちは長い期間、このバグに悩まされています。仕方なく別テキストフレームで対応したり、別の罫線で対応するなど、時間のかかる無駄な作業をしなくてはなりません。このバグには、私たち多くのユーザーがとても困っていますので、早く修正をしてください。

50 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,
    Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 15.0

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 15.0
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

-InDesign Team

2. Tab indent of RTL Numbered List does not line up

See two screenshots attached, both are using the exact same settings, (Default, just changed to Hebrew numbering)
    in InDesign 2019 (14.0.3) Everything is nicely aligned, vs in InDesign 2020 (15.0) it's jagged, and I'm not able to align it in any way (Tabs, Indenting, etc.).
    I'm using InDesign 2020 תומך עיברית, on Windows 10

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. [macOS] soft return converted to hard return in InDesign Tagged Text

Affected version:
    14.0.3 [macOS]

Steps to reproduce:
    In a New document, make a new text container.
    Enter this sample text:
    “line1 \n line2 \r line3 \n line4”
    where \n = shift+return
    and \r = return
    “line1{{shift+return}}line2{{return}}line3{{shift+return}}line4”
    Set space before or space after to 0.125”
    Export as Adobe InDesign Tagged Text, Unicode format.
    Import result using File > Place

Expected result
    Soft returns and hard returns

Actual result
    Hard returns only (soft returns converted)

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Black swatch in cell diagonal line is not overprint

In Table and Cells, stroke color default swatch is [Black]. In this case, overprinting is set even if the overprint check box is off.
    However, the diagonal line does not set the overprint even if [Black] swatch is applied.
    This is not set unless the check box is checked, so it must be the same as stroke because it behaves differently from stroke.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Split column doesn't work correctly.

Urgent: ID 2020 splitting multiple columns doesn't work!
    I attach screenshot showing:
    - paragraph style split column
    - screenshot with style applied in ID 2019 14.3
    - screenshot with the same style and same text in ID 2020

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. [Performance] Footnote disappears

A footnote disappeared without reason then appeared back when I changed something in the page layout. This is a very important bug because InDesign didn't display any kind of warning about this problem: no red indicator of missing text or overfull text block. I noticed it by chance. Please look at the screen captures to understand it: the number 2 footnote is missing whereas the footnote number is present in the text. In the other screen capture, the problem has been solved.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Shading and Underline conflict

Some underline strokes become invisible when Paragraph Shading is applied.
    If removed shading then strokes appear.
    That's a bug, shading always must go bottom.
    Two screenshots are from Indesign, with and without paragraph shading. The last screenshot is from Acrobat, i've deleted manually gray frames to reveal the hidden strokes.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 65 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

54 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    This issue is now fixed in the latest update (Id 14.0.1) of InDesign CC.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

Once the update button is shown against InDesign CC, click on the button to update your InDesign to Id 14.0.1 for the fix of the issue.
    Do let us know in the comments, if you face any problem with the new update.

List of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,
    InDesign Team

9. Khmer script justification is broken

With the CC version, having World-Ready Composer enabled, Khmer script justification is still broken. I tried to use the text with and without ZWSP, and it's all the same. There was a thread talking about it https://forums.adobe.com/message/5030301 but seems no any new update.

The justification is also broken in Photoshop CC.

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,
    Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 15.0

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 15.0

-InDesign Team

10. Mysterious blocks of whitespace appearing in tables

Yesterday I reported mysterious blocks of white space appearing between paragraphs and images. They are now starting to appear between my tables. Please see the attached figure. There is no indication of them in the story. Has this got something to do with the footnotes which are behaving very strangely. Maybe I have misconfigured them somehow?

Kind regards
    Mike Howell

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Typekit (or Adobe Fonts) or Fonts menu collapses while browsing through the list of fonts.

I am absolutely loving the new InDesign features. But, whilst testing the new Typekit/Adobe Fonts browsing window in InDesign I came across this bug / crash. Instead of allowing me to freely roam the vast selection of fantastic fonts, the window just decides to close and defaults to one of the already synced fonts.

InDesign version: 14.0, included a screencap.

55 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

31 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Edit: We reached to the users who have commented the issue still persists to identify the gap. It was discovered that their issue is different from what is being discussed on this thread. The issue pertaining to this thread is fixed. Hence, we are closing the thread.

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

12. thai

After updated to the newest Indesign 2020, word cut/ hyphenate in Thai language become incorrect.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Indents incorrect when importing Word document

When importing a Word document that contains some indented paragraphs, the left indent being set to 5mm in Word (for example), once placed in InDesign, these 5mm indents typically show as 4.992mm. This would not neccesarily be a problem except that Find/Change in InDesign will not recognise an indent to 3 decimal places and therefore this cannot be located easily and fixed. This is proving to be a big problem in my workflow as I cannot automate the process of re-styling these paragraphs using InDesign Paragraph Styles with Find/Change. This bug occurs whatever measurement system is used, i.e. mm, inches,…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Thaana text properly composed in 14.0.3 messed after converting to 15.0

Weird changes in the text after converting file to 15.0. (Upon opening a file with Thaana text) see attached images.

Diacritics completely messed up AFTER recomposing (change alignment or reapply World-Ready composer) See attached images.

Cannot use double/triple-clicking to select text composed in the new composer. (can select paragraphs already composed in the previous version, if no changes are made to that paragraph.)

To see it in a new document: create a new document, copy and paste Thaana text (ex: Dhivehi Wikipedia), apply World-Ready composer.

Sample indd: https://www.dropbox.com/s/imh6najk6nlv39m/Cooperative%20Learning%20Poster.indd?dl=0

Font used: http://www.hassanhameed.com/?page_id=154

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Grep expressions with ~F in a character class fail in endnotes

The inclusion of ~F in a character class invalidates grep expressions in endnotes.

InDesign version: 14.0.2.324 (with the GREP fix installed)

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open the attached document. It contains a single page with text and an endnote.
    2. In the GREP tab of the Find/What window, enter the following GREP expression:

\d[^.,;~F]+

And target the document. The expression matches from a digit up to the next period, comma, semicolon, or footnote marker.

Expected result: The expression should match some text in the main text and in the endnote.
    Actual Result: The expression does not match anything in the…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Inline vector graphics pixelate while typing in high quality display performance mode

InDesign 14.0.2 on Windows 10

1) Set display performance to high quality
    2) Paste an EPS or PDF into a text frame as an inline graphic. It should render crisply as you'd expect in high quality mode..
    3) Start typing in the text frame that contains the inline graphic. The inline graphic pixelates.
    4) Click out of the text frame or stop typing for ~10 seconds. The graphic returns to its unpixelated, high-quality state.

Context: we are upgrading 100 users from InDesign 2014 to InDesign 2019. This worked perfectly well without any pixelation or lag in InDesign 2014, but is…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Loss of typographic enrichment (italic, bold, etc.) on import

On CC2019 14.0.3 but also on previous versions.
    When I import a Miscrosoft Word text I sometimes lose part of the enrichment. On the attached example the majority of Bold are kept but some are gone. This is very problematic when working on documents of several hundred pages.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Numbered lists indented and locked in InDesign 2020

In InDesign 2020, my document's Hebrew language (right-to-left) numbered list inexplicably indented to the left, and cannot return to the correct tab.

I'm particularly frustrated because the update has improved my workflow in leaps and bounds in terms of speed and performance!

– seems to have to do with tabs and indents
    – solved when convert numbering to text…
    – no issue with English
    – the tab X: shifted from 0.125in to 0.3125in, and won't indent further back

*Edit: I'm running InDesign 15.0 תומך עברית on MacOS Mojave 10.14.6

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. footnotes

The "drag-and-drop" function works with normal text but not with footnotes references.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Link text box with an existing box don't work anymore

When I try to link a text box with an other existing text box, it doesn't work anymore. It's creating me a new box. In other version of indesign it was not a problem.
    I can't find anything about new features in indesign 2018, can you help me?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 17 18
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base