Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)

Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

Bug details

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Text Frame Otpion

Text hops around in text box from top to bottom when moving text frame. I have seen a lot people online having the same issue. Only work around, and it's just that a work around not a fix, every time you place text you have to go to Object>Text Frame Options>Baseline Option and click "Use Custom Baseline Grid". Doing this every single time I place text is getting rather tedious. Just encountered bug today, restarted both indesign and imac, the bug stayed. About to re-install indesign all together.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Shortcuts messed up after update to CC

InDesign CC 12.1.0.56 (2017.1)
    MacOS Sierra 10.12.5

(1) The default super- and subscript shortcuts (cmd+shift+= and ctrl+cmd+shift+=) do not work on mac num keyboard. Had to change shortcuts.
    (2) When using the default shortcut for italics (cmd+shift+I) the text is changed to "Heavy Italic" instead of "Italic" with the (legal) Avenir Next font family.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Text Wrap on image container is applied to image bounds

When applying text wrap to an image container, indesign (v14.0.1 macOS) now applies the text wrap to the image inside the container - rather frustrating if you are cropping in on part of an image with the image from.

Steps to Reproduce - Place image inside container frame making sure that the image is scaled larger than the frame (cropped by frame). Place image container over text and apply text wrap.

Expected Result - text wrap applied to container should be based on container dimensions.

Actual result - text wrap applied to image inside the container making the text wrap…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. extreme typing lag when using span columns

When using Span Column for headers, editing text anywhere in the document (headers, body text, and footnotes) becomes extremely slow, each letter typed taking several seconds to appear. When I change the header paragraph style to Single Column, the typing lag disappears. (If I change only the current header to Single Column, the lag remains; I have to eliminate Span Column from the entire document for typing speed to be normal.) Gets even slower the longer the editing session goes on. Per Adobe chat rep I reset prefs, updated to CC2019, latest Windows update, and updated video card driver, to…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Cannot save cross-reference format with delimiter set to "false"

When creating a cross-reference format to control the appearance of a cross reference, using the <fullPara delim="" includeDelim="false"/> format refuses to save the includeDelim="false" component in the format. It will save a value of "true" but after entering false and choosing save, upon editing the reference format, the includeDelim="false" property is gone.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. command up and down in tables

When I have text in a table cell, CMD-Arrow keys are not working. I usually use CMD-Arrow to move around between paragraphs and words. It works fine outside of table cells, but not inside. It is however working fine inside table cells when I hold the shift key to select text, but not without the shift key, to just navigate my cursor between words and paragraphs. Please look into this bug and fix it for a future update. It's driving me crazy.

Thanks.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Keyboard input problem

Windows 10. ID 14.0.1
    This is similar to the 'missing first character' issue many of us have seen in the past. What happens, randomly, your keyboard input doesn't quite work. You can try various shortcuts and they simply will not work. You have to create (or go into) a text box, type some text.. and THEN keyboard shortcuts will suddenly work again.
    Acrobat does the same thing.
    Very annoying that when you think you've saved a file that it has NOT been saved.. you only find out when going to close a file that your 'ctrl S' did not work.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Copying data from Excel table into InDesign table. Data goes into one cell, rather than all.

When pasting Excel table into InDesign table, all cells go into 1st cell as a complete table, rather than populating the table.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Text disappears when task is changed

Text disappears when task is changed (returned to ID, v14 x64 Win10). Scrolling helps if the text is outside the window.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Non-breaking spaces & non-joiner odd behavior

The attached file has a bunch of samples. In summary, ID2018 on Mac considers a word and following spaces as one word; and a non-joiner is ignored. You'll need New Century Schoolbook LT Std to maintain proper spacing.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Text cursor position not accurate

Using Text on Path (Circle), every time. If I click in specific area to make a text correction the cursor shows in the correct area needing change but when typing it is actually 4 characters out of place affecting text not needing changes.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Basic Functionality breaking on each update

i am really annoyed that Indesign keeps breaking basic functionality when it makes an update. I have used paste without formatting for years without incidence and now it doesn't always work when I need it.

Typing in new frames requires 2 clicks and requires a tweak to the settings to work right?!

I don't want any new functionality if it is going to break things like typing and pasting, many things that used to be one click are now many. That is not how this should work!!!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Typographer's Quotes bug?

I've encountered an issue with Typographer's Quotes not working. I've searched extensively online and tried all the usual suspects (Typographer's Quotes is on in preferences, both Document and without any documents open; reset preferences) but I've been unable to fix them.

After further investigation, it seems that the issue only occurs using a single typeface (Skolar Latin, installed as OTF versions in Windows 10 Pro itself, rather than via Typekit). When typing double or single quote marks in InDesign with any weight of this typeface, then the straight version is inserted, irrespective of the Typographer's Quotes setting. If I do…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Dictionary Hyphenation in Uppercase ignored (German)

Custom hyphenation settings are ignored for uppercase words in user dictionary (at least in german).

----

Example:
    dictionary entry: "kro~~~nach" (select field "case-sensitive" not set)

-----

Expected behaviour:

Lorem ipsum Kro-
    nach dolor sit amet kro-
    nach

----

Actual behaviour:

Lorem ipsum Kron-
    ach dolor sit amet kro-
    nach

----

Workaround:

Enabling "Case-sensitive" and adding lowercase and uppercase version leads to correct hyphenation.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Stops letting me type

I'm using InDesign 2018 and I will have my cursor in a text box and be typing when the program will stop letting me enter new text. The only way to continue entering text is to tab out of the program and back in. I have no idea what step lead to this issue.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. alt text issues

I'm trying to apply alt text to vector objects and some elements in a table manually in indesign. The "object export options" window isn't allowing me to change the alt text source to custom or anything else besides structure and I am unable to edit/add anything in regards to alt text. I've tested it on other text and images/elements within the document and still run into the same issue.

I'm having a difficult time trying to create an accessible tagged PDF due to this issue and many of the tutorials or help documents are outdated for CC capabilities. Any help…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. BUG: Changes aren't tracked for bottom-right table cell

The last cell in a table is a “dead” cell as far as Track Changes is concerned. If you copy cells from another row and paste them in the last table row, if the selection you are pasting into contains the last cell in the table, the pasted text will not be marked as a change. Likewise, inserting a new row in a table as the last row via drag and drop isn’t marked as an insertion at all. Inserting a new column in a table as the last column via drag and drop is tracked as an insertion for…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    Thanks for reporting the issue.
    We have been able to reproduce the issue.

“The last cell in a table is a “dead” cell as far as Track Changes is concerned. If you copy cells from another row and paste them in the last table row, if the selection you are pasting into contains the last cell in the table, the pasted text will not be marked as a change. "
    This issue seems to be present since CS 6

-Aman

18. Text becoming conditional

If I have conditional text in which the condition include the paragraph mark, when I re-open the document, the following paragraph sometimes has the condition applied to it, even though it was unconditional before. This is a repeatable problem.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Changes are not tracked when you copy and paste text from more than one cell into a table

1. This exists in all version of InDesign and InCopy.

2. To reproduce (see corresponding images):

a) Create a new document with a table filled with text and in InCopy set it to tr.ack changes.

b.) Copy the contents of at least two cells.

c.) Paste the contents into different cells.

d.) Initially these changes will be showed as tracked in story/galley view.

e.) When the document is saved and the reopened these changes are no longer tracked.

3. The expected result is that the changes should remain tracked after the document is saved and reopened.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. ID 13.1 OS X 10.11.6 typographer quotes not functioning properly despite box being checked

The "typographer quotes" box is checked, but does not produce the correct result. InDesign 13.1 OS X 10.11.6 mid-2011 27" iMac w i7 processor. When going back to panel the box is still checked!

Also BIG slowdown in performance in this version - "spinning ball" for a loooong time!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base