Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Application quits

When I highlight text and go to the font menu, the application quits. This always happens the first time I do it. From then on, it works fine. Yet, it has become very annoying. I have a Mac running on High Sierra OS 10.13.2. I'm using InDesign 13.0.1.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. World Ready Paragraph Composer not working for Tibetan

Adobe 2017.1 release, build 12.1.0.56

Adobe World-Ready Paragraph Composer (AWRPC) for Tibetan fonts does not work in InDesign. While this was not an issue in CS4 since the Adobe Paragraph Composer (APC) was working well for at least two fonts (Jomolhari-ID and SambhotaUnicode), it has become an issue preventing us from using any later versions of InDesign: the APC became unusable for Jomolhari (our main font), and since the AWRPC was never completely working, we are now in a situation where neither APC or AWRPC works… (though SambhotaUnicode still works for APC only).

Jomolhari-ID can be downloaded here: https://collab.its.virginia.edu/access/content/group/26a34146-33a6-48ce-001e-f16ce7908a6a/Tibetan%20fonts/Tibetan%20Unicode%20Fonts/Jomolhari-ID-a3d.zip

Attached…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Auto-size text boxes with rounded corners expands randomly.

Version 2018, 13.0

Set a text box to auto size height and width (with no line breaks)
    Make the corners rounded
    As you can see in the attached jpgs of before and after, sometimes the box expands in width and sometimes in height, but randomly, not wrapping around the text correctly.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Printing error: The Adobe Print Engine - Across spread with tables in booklet

When printing a one table across a spread you will encounter the Adobe print engine error.

1. InDesign CC 2018
    2. Create one table across a spread and print to booklet.
    3. Adobe Print Engine error display
    4. see attached

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. search

I use CC 2017, but of course have seen this issue in other versions, Mac, and PC. When typing in a search term, like search term, the letters I type in show up backward, if at all, so mret chraes... which of course makes searching impossible. I can close the program, close the dialog box, and it still keeps coming up. It's so frustrating when you have 1000s of pages and need to find multiple words in between to keep opening/closing/shutting down

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Need more info  ·  2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. InDesign freezing when pressing backspace in a text box of more than 500 or 600 words

This only seems to be a problem when using long text boxes more than a few hundred words. InDesign starts to slow down while I'm typing, but if I then select text or press backspace (mostly the latter) then InDesign freezes for 10 to 15 seconds.

I've searched the problem, but the only solution I have found is to try closing the info panel, but this seems to be a CS3 fix and doesn't work.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Bug in Adobe World-Ready Composer for Kannada Language

Attached are Adobe Indesign document, Scribus (v1.5.3) document, PDF outputs.

Fonts used: Hubballi available at https://github.com/erinmclaughlin/Hubballi/blob/master/build/Hubballi-Regular.otf

Tunga: Available in Windows 10 as part of Kannada language pack.

Scribus uses "Harfbuzz" text shaping engine. It doesn't any issue shaping Kannada text, except for one case; U+0CCD U+200D which is canonical equivalence of U+200D U+0CCD. Harfbuzz has accepted this bug and will be fixed in the next release. https://github.com/behdad/harfbuzz/issues/435 https://github.com/behdad/harfbuzz/issues/341

Adobe indesign Adobe World-Ready Composer has lots of bugs with shaping Kannada text.

Please rectify as soon as possible.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  Sumit Garg responded

Thanks for reporting this issue.
    We have verified this issue and forwarded this issue to our Indic languages expert team for investigation.

Once investigation is complete, We will definitely update this post.

8. The order of Arabic digits is reversed when changing their character direction

1. Adobe InDesign CC 2017.1
    2. Create a textbox, type Arabic characters including some digits. Change character direction from 'Default' to 'Right to Left'.
    3. Arabic letters are RTL, but Arabic digits are written LTR; So when you change character direction to RTL, they should be in their right direction.
    4. Letters are RTL, but digits are reversed. The problem is that Arabic script is written RTL, but its digits' direction is LTR. Just like when you move caret and logically it moves in correct direction.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Text Frame Otpion

Text hops around in text box from top to bottom when moving text frame. I have seen a lot people online having the same issue. Only work around, and it's just that a work around not a fix, every time you place text you have to go to Object>Text Frame Options>Baseline Option and click "Use Custom Baseline Grid". Doing this every single time I place text is getting rather tedious. Just encountered bug today, restarted both indesign and imac, the bug stayed. About to re-install indesign all together.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Shortcuts messed up after update to CC

InDesign CC 12.1.0.56 (2017.1)
    MacOS Sierra 10.12.5

(1) The default super- and subscript shortcuts (cmd+shift+= and ctrl+cmd+shift+=) do not work on mac num keyboard. Had to change shortcuts.
    (2) When using the default shortcut for italics (cmd+shift+I) the text is changed to "Heavy Italic" instead of "Italic" with the (legal) Avenir Next font family.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Using glyphs in a text variable

I've defined a text variable that I use for a running header. This variable is defined from the first use of a "chapter title" paragraph style that I've also defined. I've inserted this variable on my A-master page, which is synced between documents in my book. The problem I'm running into is that I've used a number of glyphs in the text comprising the first use of that style, and the text variable (my running header) looks garbled: it's missing letters and has mixed caps. If it matters, the font I'm using is Orpheus Pro Bold.

Attached are two screenshots:…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Indesign cannot be embedded in Chinese fonts

Indesign cannot be embedded in Chinese fonts, but can only be embedded in subsets. It is recommended to add warning reminders.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. contour freaking out

Contours on Text are freaking out in CC 2019 (14.0.2)

See attached PDF (.INDD is not allowed to be attached....)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. eyedropper tool

Using the eyedropper tool to select a color from the desired text is not working properly. Only strokes are painted with the desired color, not the text. It should like Illustrator's eyedropper tool which works perfectly. I have to use Illustrator's eyedropper tool to get the desired results I want.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. No Font Spacing Between Words in InDesign 2019 14.0.x-2 on Mojave 10.14.x-4, Works fine in InDesign 2014 (v10.0.70) on Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted it here too: https://forums.adobe.com/message/11049072#11049072

So, we've had this issue on our new MacBook Pro running macOS Mojave v10.14.4 ever since last year in August when we were on High Sierra (what came with the Mac).

Basically, InDesign is unusable with Gujarati Sangam MN on the 2019 version but on 2014 (v10.0.0.70) version on my old Mac (OS X Yosemite, v10.10.5) it works fine.

What's causing this issue?

We've tried the following:

- Contacted Adobe & Apple support: Apple said to contact Adobe, Adobe was unhelpful, they suggested we look up if the font was installed it it is on…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Text Wrap on image container is applied to image bounds

When applying text wrap to an image container, indesign (v14.0.1 macOS) now applies the text wrap to the image inside the container - rather frustrating if you are cropping in on part of an image with the image from.

Steps to Reproduce - Place image inside container frame making sure that the image is scaled larger than the frame (cropped by frame). Place image container over text and apply text wrap.

Expected Result - text wrap applied to container should be based on container dimensions.

Actual result - text wrap applied to image inside the container making the text wrap…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Cannot save cross-reference format with delimiter set to "false"

When creating a cross-reference format to control the appearance of a cross reference, using the <fullPara delim="" includeDelim="false"/> format refuses to save the includeDelim="false" component in the format. It will save a value of "true" but after entering false and choosing save, upon editing the reference format, the includeDelim="false" property is gone.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. command up and down in tables

When I have text in a table cell, CMD-Arrow keys are not working. I usually use CMD-Arrow to move around between paragraphs and words. It works fine outside of table cells, but not inside. It is however working fine inside table cells when I hold the shift key to select text, but not without the shift key, to just navigate my cursor between words and paragraphs. Please look into this bug and fix it for a future update. It's driving me crazy.

Thanks.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Keyboard input problem

Windows 10. ID 14.0.1
    This is similar to the 'missing first character' issue many of us have seen in the past. What happens, randomly, your keyboard input doesn't quite work. You can try various shortcuts and they simply will not work. You have to create (or go into) a text box, type some text.. and THEN keyboard shortcuts will suddenly work again.
    Acrobat does the same thing.
    Very annoying that when you think you've saved a file that it has NOT been saved.. you only find out when going to close a file that your 'ctrl S' did not work.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base