Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6588 results found

1. Bad tabulation behavior in ID 13.1

The filling caracter (.) of a tabulation disappears in function of the value of the 1st line spacing without any reason at all. Please watch the video attached to this bug report. This is a big issue absent in previous versions.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Several years old bug is still alive in InDesign CC

InDesign CC shows obscure behavior for Arabic subtending marks. Some times it kerns these marks towards right as shown in line 1, 3 & 4. Sometimes it adds extra space on both sides of these glyphs as shown in the line five and sometimes it automatically makes the digits size smaller as shown in line 1 & 2. While MS Word 2013 shows the correct shapes for all these marks as required. The Arabic script is written in right to left direction.
    Image shows the correct shape in MS Word 2013 and wrong behavior in InDesign CC.
    Test font and…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Clearly a bug in InDesign CC

While working on an Arabic font I need to kern the space U+0020 between certain letters. So the required lookup is added to the font, with instructions to apply kerning whether the preceding letter have marks (above or below) or no marks at all i.e. the kerning is not effected by the preceding letter's marks. The Arabic script is written in right to left direction.

Now the MS Word is showing the correct behavior as shown in the image. The first pair (without marks) and the second pair (with brown marks) both are kerned as instructed by font but the…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Till yet InDesign CC does not recognize some common Arabic Marks

Till yet InDesign CC does not recognize some commonly used Quranic Arabic marks like uni08F0, uni08F1 and uni0F82, though these are added to Unicode several years ago. Images, test file and test font "Uthman" are added.
    First image shows these marks.
    Second image shows their correct placement above or below the letters in MS Word and the wrong result in InDesign CC.
    Test font "Uthman" and test indesign document are attached.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Opened files become modified (unsaved asterisk appears) without any modification

I'm working with file A, but I keep open the B and C files (either I didn't close those or I'm copying content from those), after some time B and C becomes modified (unsaved, the asterisk after the name appears). The Edit→Undo does not show any alteration (it's grayed).

May it be the problem that A, B and C belongs to a Book?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. First page of a linked PDF file repeats itself throughout layout.

I have a 20 page template where each page has two image boxes that links to a 40 page PDF for a printer spread setup. But on random occurrences, the first page of the PDF file repeats itself throughout the layout. Has anybody else experienced this?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Constantly crashing for me and colleague

HELP!
    InDesign crashes pretty much everytime I open it, or try to open two documents at once.

I have looked into it and apparently it could be a problem with a recovery file. How can I clear all my recovery files? I have tried to find the path from the preferences but it wont let me view the whole path.

Any ideas?
    Thanks

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

9. Converting all URLs to links is converting anything with dot between two words

When trying to convert all URLs to links, it seems that the regex used also targets things like V.ii and converts that into a link. Shouldn't it be looking for anything with http or www?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Control characters breaks 'regular' font rendering

I pasted some cells from Excel into an Indesign text box. After that, the text rendering was completely distorted garbage text). Worse, I couldn't select the "Roman" font anymore, in any open document. Upon testing, that included many "normal" fonts like Georgia Regular, Minion Pro Regular and Warnock Pro Regular. I tried switching to International English MacOS and Indesign, I tried several versions from Indesign 13.1 back to CS6, and on Mac and Windows – same thing.

Finally, I discovered the control characters in the Layout text editor, and when I removed them (and restarted Indesign), everything was back to normal.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Dialog open to custom location on click of place option in indesign

Click on place option in indesign.

Dialog should open with custom location set from the script, not the previous opened location.

Is there a way to control place dialog, to always show my custom location??

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Videos and buttons get cut in half when placed over a 2 page spread in Publish online and Fixed layout EPUB

When a video or button is placed across two pages on a spread, both gets cut in half, working separately on different pages. So, if video is played in Publish Online document or Fixed Layout EPUB, only half part is played.
    Similarly with buttons, only half button gets clicked.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. layer

A non-visible layer makes background printing from an imported illustrator file disappear on 2nd page. Was printing using the 'print' indd file.
    Also, hidden layers can also show the text as rasterized boxes if not updated.

I lost money and a print task because of it.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. AIGPUSniffer

Indesign will not open a new or existing file... The AIGPUSniffer open but will not open a InDesign file. I am on a Mac running High Sierra 10.13.4

Adobe InDesign CC 2018

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Confirmed by User over email stating that the issue was related to a bad hard drive wire harness and it is now resolved.

15. Size and Position (Page or Margin)

Setting Page or Margin position reference point does not work when treating anchored objects. The setting is ignored.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Export Icon

the icon while exporting PDFs has an animation next to the "arrange documents" icon at the top. this is minor but the last two frames of the saving animation are switched around. i dont know how to explain it so i guess you should just try saving a big PDF yourself and paying attention to the bar. again really minor but for a product meant for design, it feels like it could have been seen beforehand

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Dragging guides from ruler restricts placement to only to three decimal points

When dragging a guide from the rulers, ID only allows placement to three decimal points. Most often I find the need for the full four decimal points -- like trying to match the baseline of a line of type. So I have to drop the guide imprecisely, then adjust using the control panel. Can you please fix this?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Pressing shift quickly after clicking and holding a frame handle deselects it

Say I have a simple rectangular frame that I want to resize (bear with me: I know I can use the black arrow but this is just an example). I choose the white arrow tool, select the two right-hand handles, click and hold one of the selected points, hold down shift to constrain the direction, then drag to the right. So far so good in theory. However, if I press shift within a few seconds of the click+hold, the handle I click on is deselected as if I had performed a simple shift+click. The order that I perform the operations…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI/UI Scaling  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Combination of characters crashing ID

When I type or paste or apply style, or try anything in this paragraph, InDesign crashes. ("SUMARIVA, Paulo Henrique. Inquérito policial deixa de ser inquisitivo: Lei 13.245/16 altera as regras da investigação criminal. Jusbrasil, 19 jan. 2016. Disponível em: http://paulosumariva.jusbrasil.com.br/artigos/296224010/inquerito-policial-deixa-de-ser-inquisitivo-lei-13245-2016-altera-as-regras-da-investigacao-criminal. Acesso em 18 fev. 2016.").

Maybe a combination of characters is causing the crash. I also ask for a friend to paste the paragraph (I sent using Skype) and his InDesign crashes too.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

20. INDESIGN KEEPS CRASHING

I’m working on an IMAC (late 2014) running OS 10.13.4.

I’m finding that this new version, as well as the one which preceded it, are very slow to process “saving” or “re-saving” files.

I have a feeling that the newest software is getting quite bloated with code: InDesign seems to get very confused if I work too quickly, ultimately resulting in my FORCE-QUITTING the program. The mouse just freezes and sometimes different tools seem to appear, as well as tooltips. This type of thing has never happened before, just with the NEWEST version.

I have much worry about files becoming…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base