Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. text shadow

I have a text box with Drop Shadow Effect on the text itself. When I edit the text, the shadow does not change. I discovered quite accidentally that Undo (CTRL+Z) then Redo (CTRL+SHIFT+Z) fixes the issue.

However, when I change the angle of the object (text box), the text moves but the shadow remains in place. I cannot fix it even by adjusting the Effect angle options.

I have another issue where I have two separate text boxes on the same page with the exact same font and supposed font size, but the text is quite obviously not actually the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. cc2017/18 cannot install on macOS Catalina

Please enable a version of InDesign CC2017 that can be installed on macOS Catalina. It causes problems for large book files when they have to be converted to newer versions of InDesign. It often takes a long time from start to finish for a book project. When a file is created in one version of InDesign, it should be kept in that same version until it is completed, to avoid unintended errors and discrepancies creeping in. I have many files that originated in CC2017, which I now cannot open on a new machine operating with macOS Catalina.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Text-fields behave strange after InDesign 2020 update

Since the release of InDesign 2020 there frequently appears a circumstantial bug, that is not reasonable in any way:

When i double click (edit) or just copy any text-box, suddenly the content is moving downwards (about 3pt), so that it disappears in overflow text and has to be realigned. It even happens when I copy and paste those Elements or duplicate the whole page, so one of the most fundamental functions became futile (image "Adobe-Indesign-Bug-duplicate.jpg")!

Additional the maximum height of the box, before the text disappears in overset, isn't depending on the contents height like in older versions, but is…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Print thumbnails to postscript — file unusable

When I print thumbnails [or a booklet] to a postscript file, InDesign 15.0.2 creates the file, but it cannot be read in either Preview or Acrobat.

You need to allow for a useable PS/PDF export for sharing thumbnails or booklets with colleagues who do not use InDesign.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Crash when scaling text beound 1296 pt

I can repeatably make InDesign crash by:

1: Creating a big page (Mine is 250x100cm)
    2: Making a textframe and writing a short word (I wrote "café")
    3: Hit "E" and scale the frame by dragging the corners
    4: If I scale the frame so the point size is higher than 1296 pt InDesign will crash.

I am on InDesign 15.0.2 on MacOS 10.14.6

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. CC library icons (svg files) not copying over correctly

Version: inDesign 2020

When I drag, copy over, or place a linked icon (svg/eps) file from our corporate CC library, it only displays a white box.

I have asked a couple of coworkers to try the same thing and they don't have any issues.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. CC library icons (svg files) not copying over correctly

Version: inDesign 2020

When I drag, copy over, or place a linked icon (svg/eps) file from our corporate CC library, it only displays a white box.

I have asked a couple of coworkers to try the same thing and they don't have any issues.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Ligatures cause ADA compliance issues! Let's have a preference option to turn them all off, globally.

Please, please add a global Preference in the Advanced Type window to TURN OFF ALL LIGATURES. These are problematic to ADA requirements. This would be just an additional global preference that we could set when we have no InDesign documents open, so that any new documents (after we turn off the ligatures in the preference area) would not have ligatures.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Alt text not appearing for images across spreads

in ID 2020, image across double-page spreads will generate an alt-text error when exported to accessible PDF. This problem goes away when saved as IDML and opened in ID 2019.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Spell check issue

So there is a bug with Indesign 2020 causing Spell Check to not function.

This issue can be replicated by taking a file that was previously created in Indesign 2019 and opening it and saving in with Indesign 2020. Spell checking that document will not work. No matter what settings you try it doesn't recognize any of the text.

If you open the original document before converting it or working on it with 2020 spell check works perfectly.

You can also take a page from the 2020 document that isn't spell checking, Open a new file in 2020, cut and…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Workspace not showing at startup (indesign 2020 v 15.0.2)

Issue with the workspace not loading or not showing at startup. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. Today i tried opening photoshop first and then after that indesign opened correctly. Adobe claimed to have this issue resolved by version 14.0.3. That means either it has never been resolved or it returned in this version.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Workspace restes to default

InD 2020 (v. 15.0.2) on macOS 10.14.6 (18G3020) resets the workspace to default every time I create a new document while having no other documents opened.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Major performance issues in 15.0.2 with multiple large documents open

I'm on a Windows laptop with a Core i7, 16 gb of ram and a dedicated GPU. Up until the 15.0.2 update there was some hitching and slowdown with these large files (and I noticed a weird bug where hitting T to use the Type tool doesn't actually change the tool) but now editing text can take up to 10 minutes with more than one file open. I can't make a screencast at the moment since I had to reinstall 15.0.1 to complete the project on time but the filesize we're talking about is 50-75mb, ~60 pages or so with…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Go to page doesn't accept RTL number on mac

I work with Persian keyboard and when I press Cmd + J to go to a page, then entering the page number, because the keyboard is Persian it types Persian numbers, but ID doesn't accept the number and can't find the page I want!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Be able to unable the save as on our videos in our online publishing

I am currently doing online publishing but I have one big issue. All the video I put in my presentation can be downloaded by the viewer. Is it or will it be possible to not allow that as I don't people having access to these videos except from be able to view them on my presentation.

Many thanks,

Geoffrey

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. InDesign does not retain image size when linking with images with the same sizes.

InDesign does not retain image size when linking with images with the same sizes (Preferences->File Handling->Preserve Image Dimensions - same behaviour whether checked or not) - When placing from desktop - when relinking it works - but it is not so user friendly :)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Crash: "Keep Lines Together" (All) and disabled "Allow Split Footnotes" crashes InDesign if there are footnotes in a table

100% reproducible on InDesign 15.0.2 on Windows 10.
    Sample document for easy reproduction: https://www.dropbox.com/s/iirawdsvd27l95l/indesign%20crash.indd?dl=1

Starting point:
    1. I have a table containing some footnotes.
    2. Footnotes are not allowed to be split.
    3. The table (including footnotes) doesn't fit in the frame, so the last row jumps to the next frame.

To crash InDesign:
    1. Place the text marker in the paragraph containing the table.
    2. Go to Keep Options.
    3. Check "Keep Lines Togheter" and "All Lines in Paragraph".

Result: InDesign immediately hangs and you have to force quit.

Please fix? Should be easy to track down the internal…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Crash: "Keep Lines Together" (All) and disabled "Allow Split Footnotes" crashes InDesign if there are footnotes in a table

100% reproducible on InDesign 15.0.2 on Windows 10.
    Sample document attached for easy reproduction.

Starting point:
    1. I have a table containing some footnotes.
    2. Footnotes are not allowed to be split.
    3. The table (including footnotes) doesn't fit in the frame, so the last row jumps to the next frame.

To crash InDesign:
    1. Place the text marker in the paragraph containing the table.
    2. Go to Keep Options.
    3. Check "Keep Lines Togheter" and "All Lines in Paragraph".

Result: InDesign immediately hangs and you have to force quit.

Please fix? Should be easy to track down the internal…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. 15.0.2 Margins & Columns Issue on Body Page 1 (Windows only)

Version: 15.0.2

Steps to reproduce the issues:
    I was teaching 3 students on 15.0.2 (all on Windows) how to create a new document. We set up a 12-page file and specified 3 columns and changed the top margin in the New Document dialog box. With the preview checkbox on, body page 1 did not reflect the changes. We could see the bleed and slug lines appearing when defined. We could also see the A in the corner of the the body page 1 icon in the Pages panel, indicating that A-Master was assigned.

Expected result
    When you define a new…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base