Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

867 results found

1. paragraph styles panel

InDesign CC
    Expected: Paragraph Styles Panel opens to a list of my styles
    Actual: Panel opens and the list cannot be seen until the panel is widened to 3x its normal size.

The panel appears to be split into two columns with the styles in the left column. When the panel is narrowered (ie normal size), the styles column collapses and the styles list cannot be seen. The only way to access the styles list is to enlarge the width of the panel to about 3x its normal size. Please see the attached image showing the action of the styles…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Recent files panel

the link to the files in the Home panel is broken or inoperative.
    If I close a job under Ind (cc2018- 13.0.1), it is not possible to return to it, even immediately afterwards. I didn't move the file from his folder, but Ind can't find it.

I tried to put "0" in the number of files in the preferences, then to quit Ind, then to reopen Ind, to put "1" file in preference and to reopen this same file by the browser, without success.
    The pop-up indicates the file moved or locked, which is not the case.
    Can "recent files"…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. QR-Code Generator

Opening the window «create QR-Code» makes thr function «copy / paste» inactiv. This is uselessly.
    Please fix this bug.
    Thx

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Shortcuts and keyboard keys stop working.

CC2018, Windows 10, latest update as of 01/18/18, x64 system with 12GB RAM. I often have to close and reopen documents or InDesign itself for shortcuts and some keys to work. There does not seem to be a common cause or specific file(s) that sets it off and it may or may not happen to all open documents if more than one is open. Generally closing the document and reopening it helps, but there have been times where I have to restart the program for anything to work. The issue includes any shortcuts and sometimes keys such as the arrow…

32 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. [Indesign CS6-CC 2018][BUG] Wrong objects in array after moving page item to layer using Javascript

When running a script to process page items stored in a custom array and after moving a page item to another layer, the array contents changes. Objects are removed and other objects which where not put in the array are suddenly located inside the array.

See also: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2438907

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. InDesign Shortcuts set to retro QuarkXPress Shortcuts not working after High Sierra update

Edit/Keyboard Shortcuts/Set to [Shortcuts for QuarkXPress 4.0]

InDesign CC shortcuts set to retro Quark shortcuts not working after updating to High Sierra 10.13.2

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Story Editor not close during export

Impossible to close the story editor dialog when a backgroud task is active.
    Indesign returns an error like this: "Impossible to close indesign when a backgroud task is active"

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. images pixelated when rotated

When I place an image into InDesign it imports high res, but when the image is rotated, it becomes severely pixelated. Even when the image rotation is a small degree - just a few degrees even. The image preview becomes distorted severly and changes distortion with every degree of rotation. I should mention that I am a professional graphic designer with over 20 years of experience so I have tried all of the obvious fixes - switched view to "overprint preview", set display performance to "High Quality", deleted preferences.. I have done everything imaginable. Running a machine with 3 GB…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Cursor vanishes when over frames

My cursor is vanishing in InDesign when I move it over a frame (or object inside a frame). It is almost like it is underneath or behind the frame/object.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Problems saving Indesign CC 2018 files directly onto a server

I have an issue saving Indesign CC 2018 files onto our server.

I have attached two examples of the error messages we get.

The only way we can work is to save the Indesign file, on to the Desktop and then moving over manually.

We have installed the latest version of Indesign CC 2018 and MacOS High Sierra (Version 10.13.2).

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Slow lag time typing and generating raster image

I have not had this problem before but there is about a 2 second lag on everything from typing to panning around. I have aerial images via PDFs linked into the file (5 of them) and I'm placing leaders and text on top. The document is only 5 pages and it's very frustrating-please help!

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Importing files - file sort is off

When importing a group of files InDesign used to sort them alphabetically so that when you place them they are in order. This is no longer the case...it seems to place the files in a random order. This is a task I do often and not having this feature adds A LOT of work to my workflow. Please fix this asap.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. view mode blue shape

when switching view mode using W key, saw a large blue shape covering half the screen

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Presentation mode is not entering fullscreen and hiding the UI

Using InDesign on Windows 10. Recently (perhaps with the last CC update to 13.0.1 x64?) preview mode is no longer working as expected.

Whether using shift+W or via the menu, instead of full-screen document + black background (expected behaviour for Presentation mode), InDesign instead appears to be going into Preview mode, where the UI remains onscreen. The pasteboard is changing to black, however, the UI remains instead of full-screen mode.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. stalls intermittently, seconds to minutes of spinning beach ball or Application not responding

Stalls to a spinning beach ball intermittently during use. Add images in frames, move images or add text, what-ever, it suddenly just stalls and can take seconds to minutes before clearing. CS6, the CC2017 worked fine. Now CC2018 seems to have regressed in performance. I have to FORCE QUIT at times. MacOS Sierra 10.12.6

52 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    We had launched our investigation into the matter to get to the root cause of the problem. As the part of our investigation, we had reached out to many of you personally over email.
    We have concluded our investigation and have come up with few findings.

1. For many of the users the issue got fixed after updating InDesign to a newer version.
    2. For some, the issue got resolved after disabling a third-party application such as Suitecase fusion etc.
    3. For few, the issue was intermittent and is no longer reproducible.
    4. For majority of the users, the underlying cause of the performance issue was identified to be related to span columns, cross-references, third party plugin etc.

We have created separated threads for these issues and we are now working towards resolving them.

However, over the time this thread…

16. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. No window appears when I open the app, not even when opening a previous document. Mac 10.13.2

No window appears when I open the app, not even when opening a previous document. Running Mac 10.13.2 on MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012. I tried using the 2017 version and no window appears there either! I need to do my work today!!!!

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Update:
    This is regarding the comments where our users are still facing the issue.
    Please note that this particular fix caters to the scenario where the UI of InDesign won’t show up even if the app has been launched successfully.

In case you are still facing the issue, please create a new thread with the specifics related to the issue.
    We are closing this particular thread for now.
    -———————————————————————————

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us…

18. STACK ORDER BUG: Deleting page 1 and 2 causes object to change stack order on subsequent pages

Problem
    1. Discovery of text box missing from page 39 in printed Catalogue.

Review
    1. Immediately review INDD document to attempt to recreate error and report to client preliminary findings.
    a. The bug effects the stack ordering of objects on subsequent pages. In the Food & Beverage case, this missing text box from page 39 was in fact simply “underneath” the background yellow box.
    b. Error occurs when splitting out the cover pages to a separate document (to allow for a spine), whereby Page 1 and 2 and last 2 pages of document are deleted. Software bug appears to only…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. InDesign performance issue: Hand tool freezes

10.12.6 Sierra
    Hand tool freezes and no other tool can be selected. It won't unfreeze unless I shut down entire computer. This is a recurring issue.

33 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    In order to reproduce the issue we sent information to all the affected users who have either voted or commented on this thread.
    Based on the replies we got we could infer that the issue is occurring when a third party software or application is also running in parallel. Some examples of the software used include Global Auto-correct, Google Chrome,
    Moreover, when the issue occurs it seems to hamper all CC applications such as Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop.
    A possible fix for the solution includes restarting the application or restarting the system.

In the absence of any consistent reproducible steps, we are currently closing this thread as “not reproducible”. In case you again encounter the issue, please create a new thread mentioning the steps with which we can reproduce the issue and additional softwares, if in case any, that you are using.

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

20. gpu performance not working

This literally just started happening today. I have not installed ANY new anything.
    I'm running a new Macbook Pro (sept 2017), with 16g RAM, 2 TB SDD (with plenty of room on it) Graphics processor is Radeon Pro 560 4 GB
    Intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB, running High Sierra 10.13.1.
    Running latest version of InDesign CC 2018 build 13.0.1
    As of about an hour ago, I can no longer use the animated zoom or GPU performance. Everything on the screen disappears and you can see the rulers moving as I try to zoom in/out or try to scroll pages.…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  Sumit Garg responded

Hi ,

Are you facing this issue for all the document. If yes, can you please send us one of your sample document for analysis. This will help us in isolating the actual root cause.
    If issue is specific to some documents then please share these documents for analysis.

You can send us your packaged document with assets to “sharewithID@adobe.com” email address.

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base