Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Undo Not Working properly in InDesign 2020

InDesign CC 2020 Undo goes back to last saved version. It does not go back one step with Command-Z. Therefore, I lose all edits made since last save. It also crashes frequently

98 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

156 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. CEPHtmlEngine Helper

Hey,

since ID 2020 on OS X Catalina, I’ve a problem with CEPHtmlEngine Helper.
    After a while, my MacBook Pro fan is running high and in the activity window, CEPHtmlEngine Helper is running between 90 and 100%. I’ve to kick the process stop it. First, I thought its Photoshop, because I read it on google, but when I analyzing the process in the activity window, it shows, that this is caused of InDesign.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

29 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. CC 2020 + Catalina makes computer really slow

On a brand new iMac (Catalina), opening CC 2020 apps makes everything lag. When Adobe apps are not open, computer performance is fine. According to the Adobe Support Community, this issue seems pretty widespread and Adobe's suggested fixes do not help.

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Indesign incredibly slow or crashes with more than one document open

InDesign (15.0.2) becomes almost unusable with more than (1) document open. Trying to copy text or images from one document to the next or just work in one of the documents while the other is open results in minutes-long wait times (or complete crash) to even select a text box, type a character, etc.

Steps to reproduce:
    Open INDD doc (either on network or desktop)
    Open second INDD doc
    Attempt to edit text in either doc or copy over text from one document to the next

Set-up info:
    InDesign 15.0.2
    Windows 10 Enterprise // 10.0.17763

Trouble-shooting included:
    - Turned off…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. InDesign performance issues: text tool

InDesign performance issues (version 15.1.1 x64 - 32GB RAM installed - Win 10 - Adobe Creative Cloud).
    From the previous version the Text tool slows down the program considerably; it is not possible to work with at least two open files (I work with multiple open files, never a problem).
    So the work is very slow !!! Please provide a solution. Thank you!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 2020 spinning wheel

InDesign 2020 has become almost unusable for me -- with every step the spinning wheel appears and delays for 30 seconds until ultimately I need to force quit. I am using the latest version of 2020 15.1.2. Should I revert to an earlier version?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Slow performance - spinning wheel - AdobeFnt22.lst

Hi Adobe, we are still having major issues with a lot of spinning wheels in InDesign version 15.1.1. because of the AdobeFnt22.lst files that are created with every document. Basically when we open a document it resyncs/updates the AdobeFnt22.lst file of every document that was previously worked from that Mac. This is causing a lot of network traffic and spinning wheels in InDesign. The problem is fixed if we restart the Mac or rename the "Document fonts" folder so that InDesign no longer uses the fonts so does not create an "AdobeFnt.lst" file. Can you please sort this out, it…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. InDesign, InCopy: linked copy and image files randomly broken

We are a group of 16 graphic designers working on Macs. Our OS are varied between Sierra, High Sierra and Mojave. We work in InDesign 14.03 and 15.02 (with linked InCopy assets), Bridge 9.1 and 10.03, Photoshop 20.0.8 and 21.1, and Illustrator 23.1.1 and 24.1. We work on Box Drive and store our layout files and absolute-linked image assets there. It is critical that we are able to work on each others’ files in a high-volume, high-production environment. We don’t believe this is an issue related to our connection speeds.

Looking for a resolution to these issues:

InDesign: Not all…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. GREP Begining of STORY not Working in InDesign 2020 15.0.3

GREP (Begining of STORY) not Working in InDesign 2020 15.0.3

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Very Slow when i open second indd doc

Hello,

Since the last update of Indesign, when I open a second indd document, everything works in slow motion, I can no longer select text, too slow, I have to close one to work normally. My colleague has the same problem.

My config: Windows 10 - Indesign 15.1.1x64
    16GB RAM - Processor: Intel Xeon CPUE5 1620 v3 - 3.50Ghz
    Graphics card: Nvidia Quadro K2200

Laetitia M.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Very Slow Performance

Very Slow Performance

Yes, InDesign is extremely slow today 2020-06-19, almost unusable, even many months after being discovered.
    The most worrying is that it seems that this bug was discovered in September 2019.

As David wrote 2019-09-04: “Almost every action from selecting objects, resizing objects, or moving objects comes with a really slow reaction time”.

Behaviour:
    > InDesign freezes, and my cursor starts spinning around (CPU jumps to 95-98%) for almost 30-45 seconds before I can continue with next command.
    > The behaviour is random, but when it starts working slow, then it continues. It usually happens when I open…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. CEPHtmlEngine Helper

macOS Catalina 10.15.5. and InDesign. 15.1.1.

Massive problem with CEPHtmlEngine Helper. After a while, my MacBook Pro fan is running high and in the activity window, CEPHtmlEngine Helper is running between 90 and 100%. It is no fun to work with a system that runs crazy.
    Why? Solution needed.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Disappointed with Adobe

For me the last 2-3 InDesign updates have been just misery; I cannot work without the spinning wheel showing for every little change I do, so I have had to work on an older version. I was hoping the last update (15.1) would fix this, but no; I had to install an older version again. When will you fix this lagging problem which has been present in every update the last 1-2 years?

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. InDesign v15.1 slow to open and poor performance generally

Another decrease in performance between v15.0 (whcih was already very slow compared to v14) and v15.1 on Windows 10 x64 with a very high-spec workstation.

Particularly frustrating is when you click on the icon in the taskbar to launch the app it appears as though nothing has happened and takes 30 seconds or so before the splash screen appears and the app appears to have launched. By which time you usually tried launching it again a few times!

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. dropbox sync font file issue

InDesign 15.1.1 creating font sync issue with Dropbox where it repeatedly changes the AdobeFnt22.lst file again and again while Dropbox tries to sync the file folder. This causes the editing process to be exceptionally sluggish and unresponsive when attempting to edit files saved to Dropbox folders. This does not happen on files saved to local drive (e.g. desktop) only Dropbox folders, and only in the most recent update. Previously it has not been an issue.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. 15.1.2 inserting ANY html is not working

Version:
    bug only appears on inDesign 15.1.2 on OSX.
    I tested on inDesign 15.1.1 and inDesign 14.x and it had no issue.
    I also tested on inDesign 15.1.2 on Windows and it had no issue.

Steps to reproduce the issue:
    -click on "object" -> "insert HTML code" then click "ok". changing the HTML snippet or not make no difference.

Expected result:
    an HTML item is added and previewed correctly without any error message

Actual Result:
    The preview of the HTML snippet is not working and after a few seconds, a dialog modal appears saying "Waiting time exceeded for HTML renderer.…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. InDesign 15.1.1 - Fonts not activating - stuck on spinning circle background tasks

I have a problem on InDesign 15.1.1 - My Creative Cloud fonts are not activating... How can I sort this out? It's stuck on the spinning blue circle of doom - the background task has been saying queued for hours now.

I need my fonts not sure what to do?? Help.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Right to Left direction select opposite direction

When we want to select a character or word by using cursor key in Arabic text, it select the opposite direction, i.e. Ctrl + Left arrow key, Shift + Left arrow key, Ctrl + Shift + Left arrow key, or Ctrl + Shift + Left arrow key, will select a character or word on the right of cursor, even if already set to "Visual" in preference for cursor movement.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Updated to Mac OS Catalina 10.15.6 yesterday and now inDesign 15.1.1 is so slow that's it's almost unusable.

Have tried three different inDesign files and each minor change or new page view produces the progress wheel for a full minute. I can't work like this. Please help.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Spinning wheel keeps running make program not responding

When starting up InDesign 2020 (15.0.3) it runs a ok for a couple of minutes, then the spinning wheel comes on/off randomly. When on its impossible to use the program.
    Its the program CEP Html Engine causing the problem. A lot of instances is started up (se attached image). Tried to debug the problem and found that its the file cef.pak (in CEP Program folder) that’s the problem. When removing this, everything is fine except that the startup popup is missing.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 23 24
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base