Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. CEPHtmlEngine Helper

macOS Catalina 10.15.5. and InDesign. 15.1.1.

Massive problem with CEPHtmlEngine Helper. After a while, my MacBook Pro fan is running high and in the activity window, CEPHtmlEngine Helper is running between 90 and 100%. It is no fun to work with a system that runs crazy.
    Why? Solution needed.

35 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

42 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Undo Not Working properly in InDesign 2020

InDesign CC 2020 Undo goes back to last saved version. It does not go back one step with Command-Z. Therefore, I lose all edits made since last save. It also crashes frequently

103 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

164 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. InDesign 16.0 Ignores Lock File on Network Share

InDesign 16.0 on MacOS 10.15.7, several different machines, all experience this issue where InDesign has changed its behavior regarding locked files. Our machines are networked and share a drive across a gigabit intraoffice connection to collaborate on work. It's important for our workflow that work is done sequentially, with one person handing off a project to another. There is no non-sequential work.

On previous versions of ID, when trying to open a .indd file while a corresponding .idlk file is present, InDesign would give an error. This was the expected behavior, as it prevented two people working on the same…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. InDesign 2021 is not allowing me to open files created in previous version

I cannot open any files created in previous version. I had to reinstall InDesign 2020 to be able to do my work. InDesign 2021 is giving me a message about damaged files, is trying to repair them but without any success. So this version needs to be fixed asap.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Footnotes Still Disappearing: Please Update Your Customers

Adobe: The bug described in "[Performance] Footnote disappears" back in October 2019 is still plaguing users.

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/38832532--performance-footnote-disappears#

You can see from the comments that this issue is causing massive headaches for publishing teams.

The last update from Adobe is from March 2020 and claims that this bug is under review.

Your customers deserve a response and desperately need a fix.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Error on Save : "Indesign is unable to save this file. We tried, but appears to be damaged."

Indesign constantly comes up with a weird error when ever I click save while in a document - 'Indesign is unable to save this file. We tried, but appears to be damaged. click Ok.

Also I know in the previous version that whenever I zoomed in too much I would get constant crashes. Hope it's been fixed in the version but I won't hold my breath.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 2020 spinning wheel

InDesign 2020 has become almost unusable for me -- with every step the spinning wheel appears and delays for 30 seconds until ultimately I need to force quit. I am using the latest version of 2020 15.1.2. Should I revert to an earlier version?

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. spinning ball

mac mid 18, os 10.15.7, indesign 2021 (16.0.1).

spinning ball coming every now and then … not able to reproduce, behaviour is arbitrary. but happens often when needing to do something creative or fast, which then is always VERY annoying to wait. I wish you could solve that behaviour or REALLY rework indesign, since it seems to hapen to a lot of other people too.

thanks in advance.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. InDesign very slow after update to 16.0 (x64), especially data merge

Opening the app takes well over half a minute, used to be within 5 sec. Closing with save can take over a minute for a single master page with three variable placeholders. The app feels sluggish to use and there is a visible delay after performing any action, ranging between a fraction of a second and a few seconds.

This last one has always been the case, but after update it is even worse: exporting a PDF using data merge renders the machine unusable. Mouse cursor moves with visible skips and lengthy delay between those skips, regardless of complexity of…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Save Windows on Mac OS

NOTE: This is a problem not just on InDesign, but also on Illustrator and Photoshop as well.

Ever since the last upgrade for macOS Big Sur (ver 11.1), save, package and export windows have a serious issue. They don't show the pathways of the files even when you have it set to do so. Instead all you see is the options for what to include or any other information at the bottom of the window (see the attached screen shot).

Even when you enlarge the window to be able to see the paths, it does not retain the memory that…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. InDesign 2021 slow when Macbook connected to network

InDesign 2021 (16.0.1) runs totally slow when the computer is connected to our local network. Even when I work locally the coloured ball is spinning every 15 seconds.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Serious InDesign Server slow down with Catalina

We are stuck with serious performance issues with our scripts for InDesign Server (mostly Applescripts) after upgrading from Mojave (macOS 10.14.6) to Catalina (macOS 10.15.7). The problems are alike with Indesign Server CC 2019 and CC 2020.

The current machine is a Mac Mini (2018) is used as development server for our current project. But when taken in production (very soon) the solution that is the outcome of the project must be able to run on a machine that demands Catalina or later. And this solution will rely heavily on high performance.

Earlier we managed to solve some permission issues…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Indesign incredibly slow or crashes with more than one document open

InDesign (15.0.2) becomes almost unusable with more than (1) document open. Trying to copy text or images from one document to the next or just work in one of the documents while the other is open results in minutes-long wait times (or complete crash) to even select a text box, type a character, etc.

Steps to reproduce:
    Open INDD doc (either on network or desktop)
    Open second INDD doc
    Attempt to edit text in either doc or copy over text from one document to the next

Set-up info:
    InDesign 15.0.2
    Windows 10 Enterprise // 10.0.17763

Trouble-shooting included:
    - Turned off…

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As confirmed by a customer over the thread that the issue is fixed in InDesign 2020(v15.1.2.226).

We recommend you upgrade to either InDesign 2020(v15.1.2.226) or to the latest InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77) for the fix.

If you are unable to see the update, go to the Creative Cloud application and click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Adobe InDesign Team

14. 15.1.1

15.1.1 is running EXTREMELY slowly.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. cross-reference bug InDesgin 2020

I'm working with a 50-page document using the latest version of InDesign (15.1.1 x64) on Windows 10. Cross-reference not only takes minutes to create but also takes that amount of time to update. It's become a useless feature of InDesign.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. CC 2020 + Catalina makes computer really slow

On a brand new iMac (Catalina), opening CC 2020 apps makes everything lag. When Adobe apps are not open, computer performance is fine. According to the Adobe Support Community, this issue seems pretty widespread and Adobe's suggested fixes do not help.

31 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Slow performance - spinning wheel - AdobeFnt22.lst

Hi Adobe, we are still having major issues with a lot of spinning wheels in InDesign version 15.1.1. because of the AdobeFnt22.lst files that are created with every document. Basically when we open a document it resyncs/updates the AdobeFnt22.lst file of every document that was previously worked from that Mac. This is causing a lot of network traffic and spinning wheels in InDesign. The problem is fixed if we restart the Mac or rename the "Document fonts" folder so that InDesign no longer uses the fonts so does not create an "AdobeFnt.lst" file. Can you please sort this out, it…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Upside down graphics in CC library Indesign version 16.0.2

I am trying to click and drag graphics from my document into a CC library and while the graphic is added, it is added upside down. When I double click on the graphic a new document opens up with just the graphic and it is once again upside down.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. InDesign 16.0 on Catalina is constantly laggy

Whether I've just opened a file and am waiting for it to appear, or I've just clicked on an object and am waiting for the chance to manipulate it, that stupid beach ball just won't go away! Please fix!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 24 25
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base