Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Undo Not Working properly in InDesign 2020

InDesign CC 2020 Undo goes back to last saved version. It does not go back one step with Command-Z. Therefore, I lose all edits made since last save. It also crashes frequently

92 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

140 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. CC 2020 + Catalina makes computer really slow

On a brand new iMac (Catalina), opening CC 2020 apps makes everything lag. When Adobe apps are not open, computer performance is fine. According to the Adobe Support Community, this issue seems pretty widespread and Adobe's suggested fixes do not help.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. InDesign, InCopy: linked copy and image files randomly broken

We are a group of 16 graphic designers working on Macs. Our OS are varied between Sierra, High Sierra and Mojave. We work in InDesign 14.03 and 15.02 (with linked InCopy assets), Bridge 9.1 and 10.03, Photoshop 20.0.8 and 21.1, and Illustrator 23.1.1 and 24.1. We work on Box Drive and store our layout files and absolute-linked image assets there. It is critical that we are able to work on each others’ files in a high-volume, high-production environment. We don’t believe this is an issue related to our connection speeds.

Looking for a resolution to these issues:

InDesign: Not all…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. CEPHtmlEngine Helper

Hey,

since ID 2020 on OS X Catalina, I’ve a problem with CEPHtmlEngine Helper.
    After a while, my MacBook Pro fan is running high and in the activity window, CEPHtmlEngine Helper is running between 90 and 100%. I’ve to kick the process stop it. First, I thought its Photoshop, because I read it on google, but when I analyzing the process in the activity window, it shows, that this is caused of InDesign.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. GREP Begining of STORY not Working in InDesign 2020 15.0.3

GREP (Begining of STORY) not Working in InDesign 2020 15.0.3

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Indesign incredibly slow or crashes with more than one document open

InDesign (15.0.2) becomes almost unusable with more than (1) document open. Trying to copy text or images from one document to the next or just work in one of the documents while the other is open results in minutes-long wait times (or complete crash) to even select a text box, type a character, etc.

Steps to reproduce:
    Open INDD doc (either on network or desktop)
    Open second INDD doc
    Attempt to edit text in either doc or copy over text from one document to the next

Set-up info:
    InDesign 15.0.2
    Windows 10 Enterprise // 10.0.17763

Trouble-shooting included:
    - Turned off…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. InDesign v15.1 slow to open and poor performance generally

Another decrease in performance between v15.0 (whcih was already very slow compared to v14) and v15.1 on Windows 10 x64 with a very high-spec workstation.

Particularly frustrating is when you click on the icon in the taskbar to launch the app it appears as though nothing has happened and takes 30 seconds or so before the splash screen appears and the app appears to have launched. By which time you usually tried launching it again a few times!

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Disappointed with Adobe

For me the last 2-3 InDesign updates have been just misery; I cannot work without the spinning wheel showing for every little change I do, so I have had to work on an older version. I was hoping the last update (15.1) would fix this, but no; I had to install an older version again. When will you fix this lagging problem which has been present in every update the last 1-2 years?

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Spinning wheel keeps running make program not responding

When starting up InDesign 2020 (15.0.3) it runs a ok for a couple of minutes, then the spinning wheel comes on/off randomly. When on its impossible to use the program.
    Its the program CEP Html Engine causing the problem. A lot of instances is started up (se attached image). Tried to debug the problem and found that its the file cef.pak (in CEP Program folder) that’s the problem. When removing this, everything is fine except that the startup popup is missing.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Right to Left direction select opposite direction

When we want to select a character or word by using cursor key in Arabic text, it select the opposite direction, i.e. Ctrl + Left arrow key, Shift + Left arrow key, Ctrl + Shift + Left arrow key, or Ctrl + Shift + Left arrow key, will select a character or word on the right of cursor, even if already set to "Visual" in preference for cursor movement.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Spellcheck

Spellcheck in InDesign 2020 build 15.0.2 doesn't work. It acts like it is working, but it never finds any misspellings. I noticed it yesterday when I sent an article to the proof reader and it came back with errors InDesign should have detected. I purposely put in misspellings, but InDesign found no spelling mistakes.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. For long documents containing more than 50K characters, GREP search fails to find all matching instances

Since updating to CC 14.0.2 on Windows, GREP search is no longer functioning properly. Not all instances of queries are found, or not found at all.
    I believe this is the case when working on documents created in an older version. In a newly created document it does work as it should.

82 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

30 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

13. Version 15.0.2 - Duplicate folder saving to desktop

After moving a packaged folder from the desktop, if I go back to edit the file it creates a duplicate folder to the desktop with only the contents of Document fonts (which does not include all fonts). Definitely a concern of saving over existing data.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Very Slow Performance

Very Slow Performance

Yes, InDesign is extremely slow today 2020-06-19, almost unusable, even many months after being discovered.
    The most worrying is that it seems that this bug was discovered in September 2019.

As David wrote 2019-09-04: “Almost every action from selecting objects, resizing objects, or moving objects comes with a really slow reaction time”.

Behaviour:
    > InDesign freezes, and my cursor starts spinning around (CPU jumps to 95-98%) for almost 30-45 seconds before I can continue with next command.
    > The behaviour is random, but when it starts working slow, then it continues. It usually happens when I open…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Adobe InDesign 15.0.2 x64 too slow when opening two or more InDesign documents

Adobe InDesign 15.0.2 x64 is too slow, when opening two or more InDesign documents.

I work with Windows 10 Enterprise, version 1803

Previously, I could open two or more InDesign documents without noticing any delays.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Save window file name AND extension are highlighted by default.

Before upgrading to Catalina, when I go to save a file or export the name of the file will be highlighted.

I can then tap the right arrow and the cursor (blinking line) will go to the end of the file name but BEFORE the file extension.

But after upgrading to Catalina, the file name AND the file extension are both highlighted by default so when pressing the arrow key, the cursor goes to the end AFTER the file extension.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. InDesign 2020 (v15.0) everything slow compared to 2019 (v14.0.3)

Since upgarding to InDesign 2020 performance has slowed considerably. Selecting a frame takes ages, clicking the cursor in a different part of a text frame takes ages for the cursor to appear etc. Almost every action has a 2 or 3 second delay; whereas it would fly along on v14.

I have 20-core Xeon PC with 64 GB RAM and Nvidia Quadro K5000 graphics; so no slouch!

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. CMD+O (Open File) STILL Doesn't Work in 15.0.3 on first launching InDesign

This still hasn't been fixed!! When first opening InDesign 15.0.3 CMD+O just gives a 'dead key' beep, and it doesn't bring up the 'Open File' dialog. You must use the MENU to open the first file. After you have opened a file from the MENU, the CMD+O will then work. PLEASE FIX, for us long-time users this is painfully annoying! I have reported this in previous releases.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. InDesign v15.0.3 Wants to Save with No Changes

InDesign v15.0.3 wants to save the document on closing, even if no edits are made to the file.

In addition, the folder the file is in is changed to the date opened.

This did not occur with v15.0.1 or 15.0.2

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Mouse cursor disappears after change text

Indesign 15.1, 15.1.1 Windows 10
    When I change text, mouse cursor disappears for few seconds (sometimes less, sometimes more). In this time I can't select anything.
    Please don't tell me: - reset preferences. I did it.
    Version 15.0.3 working OK.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 21 22
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base