Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

867 results found

1. Vector graphics randomly vanish upon transformation in high quality display mode

If I have a simple InDesign document with a placed .ai or .pdf graphic, and set display quality to "high quality", then proceed to transform the frame using ctrl+shift+drag, the content of the frame will randomly disappear. To get it to display again I have to zoom in or out, or toggle between preview mode. Where multiple objects are on the page sometimes just the one I'm transforming will go, and sometimes others will vanish as well. See the attached video for a demonstration.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Pointer stuttering in layers panel

1. Id, Ai, Ps 2018 - Mac OS 10.13.4 - Logitech MX Master mouse

2. Cursor/pointer stutters badly when having over toggle & lock fields in layers panel

3. Pointer shouldn't stutter

4. Pointer badly stutters

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. stuck on type tool

I'm stuck on the Type tool. It won't let me select or change my tools at all. I've had to shut down and restart three times now. Whenever I get into the type tool, it stays and I can't get out or click anywhere else. Keyboard shortcuts do not work

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    We had launched our investigation into the matter to get to the root cause of the problem. As the part of our investigation, we had reached out to many of you personally over email.
    We have concluded our investigation and have come up with few findings.

1. For many of the users the issue got fixed after updating InDesign to a newer version.
    2. For few, the issue was intermittent and is no longer reproducible.
    4. For majority of the users, the underlying cause of the performance issue was identified to be related to switching between tools, or other lags

Over the time this thread has become too generic to serve its purpose effectively. As per your feedback and the outcome of our investigation we have created multiple threads to address each root cause separately and effectively.

If you are…

4. The Recent file view does not support files in apple iCloud (Optimize Mac Storage)

I am unable to open files that are automatically moved to iCloud using the Optimise Mac Storage default feature. I have to manually reload them to the local computer and then restart Indesign. Adobe CC - 2018 Indesign 13.1

It seems really lame that Adobe doesn't keep up with Mac OS developments. Every designer that I know who uses Adobe CC has a Mac. Every time Apple changes something it takes Adobe a year to catch up. This really hurts my workflow and leaves me with a poor opinion of Adobe.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. InDesign application does not render correctly upon program launch in Windows 10

When launching InDesign in Windows 10, the window renders with missing icons, input boxes (eg: coordinates and size boxes) and backgrounds. When a new document is opened and it launches, random graphics from the document also are displayed.

Please see attached image for example. I am able to reproduce. Each time, the window must be moved or hovered over by mouse to fix.

This has been going on since upgrading from CS6 to CC from CC 2017 to CC 2018 (current) in Windows 10. Please let me know if you require details of my hardware or software specifications.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. mouse lag in indesign when photoshop window open

Experiencing terrible mouse lag in indesign, the cursor flickers constantly and it feels like the mouse is swimming through mud. Nearly enough to make the program unusable. Reinstall fixes the problem temporarily but it returns within 30mins.

I have identified that this only happens when a photoshop window is open behind or next to the indesign window.

Indesign 13.1
    Photoshop 19.1.2
    Mac os sierra 10.12.6

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Open Recent numbering goes from 1 to 9, then 0 and then repeats 1 to 9, 0.

When selecting File > Open Recent, and there are more than 9 items (I have it set to 20), the items are listed numerically from 1 to 9 and then 0. Then it repeats 1-9, 0. One would expect 1-9, 10, 11, 12, 13, etc.

Obviously not a showstopper, but just something to fix.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    Thanks for reporting the issue.
    We have been able to reproduce this issue.

-Aman

8. locked into program

While working in InDesign, I have to right click anywhere in the window to be able to access anything else on my computer. It's like it doesn't want me working in any other program except InDesign so it's trapping me. This has been a problem since pretty much the first day I started using creative cloud. There are 6 other people in my office that have never had this problem and we all use the same version of InDesign.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Fullscreen Application Frame Under Menu Bar

When opening the program, occasionally the top bar of the interface is under the menu bar. Being as that also contains the portion of the interface used for moving the whole window, I must change my System Settings to hide the menu bar to move it back down. This also happens in a couple other CC programs as well.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Cannot change printer or centering options on occasion

This happens in both the print module and the print booklet module.

I click on the printer's name in the standard InDesign print dialog box, go to select the new one, click on the new printer, and it acts like it selects that printer only to see that it reverts back to the printer that was previously selected. I try multiple times and it still does the same thing. I have to try different printer menus to get it to stick.

This issue also happens when I try to change the centering option for the document. There is clearly excess…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Cross Referencing Annoyance. Bang Head. Repeat.

For the love of god fix the cross-referencing slowdown! It literally makes working in multiple documents impossible because the cursor just locks up. This has been a bug for almost a decade. What's the deal?

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Display not properly refreshed

In the latest versions the screen often isn't refreshed properly. Only after rescaling or changing to Preview mode the old data is hidden.

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Top Selection Bar Glitch

1. InDesign 208
    2. For example, let's say I have a file open and I want to create a new file without using the shortcut CTRL+N. When I bring my cursor to the top bar containing File, Edit, Layout, Type, Object, etc... it selects the correct category which results in a dropdown menu, but as soon as I move my cursor a little, the system throws the cursor over like 2 tabs at a time. So for example, I click File, the menu drops down, I move the cursor to select the type of New file I want and then suddenly I…
    3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. find/change missing from menu (PC)

I am using Adobe inDesign CC 2018 on a PC and since the most recent update (March 2018), I have lost the Find/Change option from the Edit menu. I have searched all over in case it was moved somewhere else, and also tried different workspaces, to no avail. Old document, new, it doesn't make a difference. Where did this go? I use it all the time. :( The keyboard shortcuts related to Find/Change don't work either. (Spellcheck isn't working correctly either--I posted a separate bug report about that. Are these related issues?)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Performance GPU

Issue at hand. The latest InDesign and Illustrator have poor GPU performance. All of my fonts and graphics are "blurry" and Pixlelated. No one has called me back, and am pretty disappointed.

My case no. ADB-1524437-B1P3

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. For some reason Indesign is still painstakingly slow...

The slightest movements take FOREVER!!!!

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    We had launched our investigation into the matter to get to the root cause of the problem. As the part of our investigation, we had reached out to many of you personally over email.
    We have concluded our investigation and have come up with few findings.

1. For many of the users the issue got fixed after updating InDesign to a newer version.
    2. For some, the issue got resolved after disabling a third-party application such as Suitecase fusion etc.
    3. For few, the issue was intermittent and is no longer reproducible.
    4. For majority of the users, the underlying cause of the performance issue was identified to be related to span columns, cross-references, third party plugin etc.

We have created separated threads for these issues and we are now working towards resolving them.

However, over the time this thread…

17. CTRL + SHIFT + T tab panel shortcut gone

Bring back the CTRL + SHIFT + T tab panel shortcut!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Datamerge Slow

The datamerge feature is unacceptable. I am creating about 100 nametags for a small event, and am merging data from a Tab Delimited Text file (CSV files DO NOT work apparently). I even replaced the 3x4 nametag graphics (.ai) with a frame to minimize graphics usage. I am only including first and last names, and it can’t even merge that!!! Any suggestions or is this feature just complete garbage?

I’m on a late 2014 15” MB Pro with NVIDIA graphics card, running High Sierra with APFS.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Separations Preview

Like previous versions of InDesign CC the color separations preview still does not work correctly.

When user tries to view separations by turning a color separation off, or toggling back and forth between colors, the visible page in the document goes completely haywire - scattering elements and superimposing images from other nearby pages. See attached screenshots of the issue.

This has been an issue for awhile and I am dismayed it still has not been addressed as it is a very useful function in the printing industry. Since the launch of CC I have had to check my separations in…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. cross-references bug introduced with 2018.1 update

The 2018.1 "search" added to cross-references is great and will be very helpful. Unfortunately it appears that a bug was introduced in the process of adding this feature.

When you double-click on a cross-reference in the Cross-References panel, it opens the Edit Cross References window. This used to open the window to the cross-reference you selected so you could edit it. Now, it opens the window at [All Paragraphs] with the first paragraph in this list selected.

This is a MESS for my workflow, as I now have to search through the cross-references to find and select the one I…

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base