Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Energy and CPU consumption

InDesign 14.0.3 is using a lot of CPU and energy. No document is open, InDesign is running in the background but still uses over 50 % of the CPU and a lot of memory. Still this program is not production ready. I’m really disappointed about the quality of this release.

MacOS 10.14.6

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Slow InDesign

This latest update for late August/September is really really really slow. It lags crazy. It's not efficient to work in. Even with small documents.
    It's the most unpleasant InDesign experience ever!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow split footnote option not working when opening previously saved document

When I open a previously typeset file with multiple pages and multiple footnotes. I get an overset text error for some of the footnotes telling me to allow split footnotes. In the footnote options, the box is checked and I have to uncheck and recheck the box in order for the footnotes to reflow properly.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Sencoten

InDesign CC 14.0.3

I work in the health sector of the Pacific North West. We are incorporating Indigenous languages in our communications both in print and online in an effort to be inclusive and represent our diversity.

Recently, I have been unable to use any Indigenous keyboard symbols with InDesign (and I assume other CC products) - though I can use it in this forum and in other software. Examples are Ȼ and Ŧ. I've attached a screen grab showing the language keyboards installed on my MacBook Pro and a result. As a reference, this site provides Indigenous language keyboards…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. can't close file

Running InDesign CC 17 (12.1.0.56). Having to quit app every time I want to close a file. When trying to close file, application frame remains, but I can not close it or minimize it, or open other files. Am quitting app every time I need to open a new file.

Running Mojave 10.14.6

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. When opening a document and mousing thru the document the display of the ruler starts to add "marks" in the measurements.

After the latest upgrade to indesign (currently CC 14.0.3) the display of the ruler starts to add "marks" in the ruler bar. Marks leave after the ruler is moved but return immediately after mouse is moved.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Slow performance

Lately InDesign is nearly unusable. Almost every action from selecting objects, resizing objects, or moving objects comes with a really slow reaction time. Even when clicking between panels in the toolbar there is a delay of about half a second.

I have tried ruling out potential issues like updating graphic drivers and embedding all resources into the document. Nothing works it seems like the application is just unstable. Please advise, I love to work with indesign but this is overall a very bad user experience.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Cannot save file " " under a new name. The file "DBTmp982766505057" is damaged (Error code: 0).

I just upgraded to Mac OS 10.14.6 Mojave in order to accommodate the latest Adobe CC 2019, which I also just installed. I have yet to be able to save an InDesign file. I keep getting the above message.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. LENTEUR InDesign

Bonjour, cela fait 20 n'as que j'utilise InDesign mais depuis 2 ans avec la nouvelle version CC . C'est devenu un calvaire de travailler avec cette application.
    Faîtes quelque chose de sérieux avant que je me tourne vers autre chose... ça devient insupportable.

La réponse ne peut pas être désactiver des application tierce comme suit case et font explorer, ces applications sont indispensables avec Indesign.

Donnez moi une solution pérenne. merci

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Buttons losing functionality when updating Table of Contents

When you have a graphic or textbox and its converted to a button its lossing functionality when updating the Table of Contents.

Apply go to Destination to the button and pick the text anchor it jumps too, when you update the Table of Contents the drop down list jumps back to the top link in the list. So it loses functionality.

I found the same thing to happen when you choose show/hide buttons. It clears out what you have picked for showing what buttons you want on the page, it sets them to the normal icon.

This is very frustrating.…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Window size incorrect upon start, hidden menubar.

When starting InDesign, it as if it incorrectly reads my screensize and includes the space that is taken up by the OSX menubar. When InDesign is running, it's menubar is underneath the OSX menubar, and cannot be accessed without going into System Preferences/General and selecting "Automatically hide and show the menu bar" so that you can click on and move the InDesign menu bar.

This is terribly annoying, and seems to reoccur randomly.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Window size incorrect upon start, hidden menubar.

When starting InDesign, it as if it incorrectly reads my screensize and includes the space that is taken up by the OSX menubar. When InDesign is running, it's menubar is underneath the OSX menubar, and cannot be accessed without going into System Preferences/General and selecting "Automatically hide and show the menu bar" so that you can click on and move the InDesign menu bar.

This is terribly annoying, and seems to reoccur randomly.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. indesign cursor lag

My cursor is lagging while passing over portions of the Layers Panel specifically.
    I'm working on a Macbook Pro, with a BenQ GW2765 external monitor.
    The issue only happens while InDesign is on the external monitor, and it works fine while on the macbook pro.
    I've attached a video sample of the issue in action.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. New document dialog is extremly slow

If I want to create a new document the dialog news at least 10 sec to open. After that I can set my defaults but when I click the »create«-button it takes another 10 to 20 sec until the new document is created. The fans are blowing like ****.

InDesign 14.0.3

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. STILL stuck in hand tool InDesign

Stuck in hand tool... YES I read the existing thread... NO none of those fixes work. Adobe, PLEASE supply a REAL, PERMANENT fix.

Running 2015 MacBook Pro Retina 15-inch, Mojave 10.14 2.8 GHz

I have NO OTHER programs running. RESTARTING neither the app nor the computer helped. I can't perform ANY tasks in InDesign.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Still not fixed—GREP search fails to find all the matching instances in long documents

An Adobe Indesign CC 2019 (version 14.0.2) file has fewer than 15K characters. A return, followed by the text “ppp”, appears 27 times in the file. They can all be found using the “Text” version of find, searching for “^ppp”. However, using the “GREP” version of find, searching for “\rppp”, only the last one is found. (I am running MacOS Mojave, version 10.14.5 on a MaxBook Pro, retina, 15 inch, mid 2015).

I followed the purported fix found at https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/search-issue-in-long-documents.html but with no success.

Indesign files are invalid file types for attaching to this bug post; however I have a…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Still not fixed—GREP search fails to find all the matching instances in long documents

The attached Adobe Indesign CC 2019 (version 14.0.2) file has fewer than 15K characters. A return, followed by the text “ppp”, appears 27 times in the file. They can all be found using the “Text” version of find, searching for “^ppp”. However, using the “GREP” version of find, searching for “\rppp”, only the last one is found. (I am running MacOS Mojave, version 10.14.5 on a MaxBook Pro, retina, 15 inch, mid 2015).

I followed the purported fix found at https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/search-issue-in-long-documents.html but with no success.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Optical Kerning Indesign Plugin (missing)

CC 2019. Mac OSX 10.14.6

We have encountered a file corruption whereby we are now unable to open an indesign doc. We get the error message as shown in the screen shot however nobody in our office has this plugin. The operator who created the file cannot even open the file - we are lost as to what has happened to this file as nobody in the team has any additional plugins. We are running the latest version of CC.

Has anybody else come across this issue as we cannot even search online for such a plugin - does it…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Ellipses not found by Find/Replace

Version of Adobe InDesign
    14.0.2 x64

Steps to reproduce the issues
    1. Placed a Word document. Reformatted etc - lots of work done.
    2. Tried to Find/Replace all ellipses to ensure they have a Thin Space before and after. InDesign Find/Replace finds no ellipses (but I am looking at them, having already replaced three periods with ellipses throughout the document).
    3. Tested in a new document - problem does not occur there. But it does if I paste the text from the previous document in.
    4. Tried exporting to IDML and re-opening to remove any corruption. This made no difference. …

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. InDesign 14.0.2 constant spinning beachball - especially on text related commands

Working in InDesign 14.0.2 on High Sierra, (single computer home network) the programme is exceptionally slow - taking about 10 seconds (of beachballing) to select a line of copy. Clicking between objects takes 5-10 seconds also. This is happening on my Mac Book Pro and iMac, both running High Sierra - all other programmes are working normally. I have tried trashing my preferences and uninstalling etc, but nothing has improved the lagging issue. I have had to revert to the 2018 version to get my work done.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 17 18
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base