Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

866 results found

1. Only loading icon

Today (10.10.2019) I tried continuing my work in Adobe InDesign (newest CC version), and it refuses to work at all. Upon opening application there is only loading icon. Restarting system, and reinstalling application wouldnt work

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Indesign: Slow performance (solution)

InDesign documents are almost unavailable (almost every process).

Problem: Text Frame Options> Balance Colums> Check

Workaround: Uncheck

(InDesign CC 14.0.3 - Windows 7)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Can't scroll Pages Window when Export dialogue box is up

Can't scroll Pages Window when Export dialogue box is up

When exporting certain pages from a large document it was handy being able to scroll through the pages window while the export dialogue was open. This was possible on pre CC indesign copies.
    Issue apparent using OSX Mojave 10.14.5 and Indesign CC 14.0.2

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Resized vectors not displaying properly in high quality display mode on drag

14.0.2 x64 on Windows 10

Steps:
    1. High Quality display mode (default settings)
    2. Place any EPS vector file.
    3. Attempt to resize it while holding ctrl-shift to maintain ratios.

Expected result:
    The vector file, resized.

Actual result:
    Grey box. I have to zoom in or out to get the screen to "refresh" and show the correct image.

Similar issue happens with placed AI file. Very simple, clearly. Just a triangle. Made in the latest version of Illustrator.

The Youtube button is an EPS.

Related: If I use the option "Greek Vector Graphics on Drag" it performs correctly, only now…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Performance: Import documents / style apply

my MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016) is super slow when importing word documents, search and replace styles or adapting styles. Does it improve when changing to the Mojave system? Or is there a conflict with FontExplorer X Pro. Any suggestions are welcome. I'm suffering…

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  amaarora responded

In order to investigate the issue at our end we would require some more information from your side. Can you please answer the following questions to help us out:

1) Please let us know the version of InDesign on which you are facing this issue.
    2) It would really help us a lot, if you can share the documents( and other resources) with which you are facing the issue.
    3) Can you please share a small video demonstrating all the issues that you are experiencing.

Please mail this information to pgaurav@adobe.com

Thanks

6. I have Adobe InDesign 14.0.2 x64, and my book chapters keep showing a spinning wheel when i try to make any change

I have Adobe InDesign 14.0.2 x64, and my book chapters keep showing a spinning wheel when i try to make any change. Say I need to add one letter, after doing so the ball has to spin 10 times until i can do anything else. This is extremely time consuming and is wasting my time when I have to wait 2 minutes after any tiny change before I can make another. I have seen others posting issues about this over a year ago. All fixes people have suggested do nothing for me. Please help.
    In reading that it could be…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. CPU over 100% - inDesign not usable

Within in hour of using inDesign the CPU goes up to 1000% of CPU usage without any reasons. No matter if I'm working on a blanc space or big files, it react over time.

Quick solution is to restart the application, within 1 hour of using the CPU goes up again.

I reinstalled the application and work on a new account.

Specs:

iMac (Retina 5K, 27 Zoll, End 2015)
    4 GHz Intel Core i7
    32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
    AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. InDesign CC 2019 No search results when trying to place a file

When I try to place a file in InDesign CC 2019 (or ANY CC 2019 app) and I enter text in the search box to find my file it defaults to "my Mac" instead of the folder I want it to search. Then when I select the folder I want to search it yields no results even though I KNOW there is a file there containing that word in the name. The folder I want it to search is on a remote server. I have tried to reindex the remote server in Spotlight (by adding it to the privacy tab…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Relink to folder and filenames with accents doesn't work

Relink to folder doesn't work for filenames with accents, it just doesn't find such files, but relinking every single file separately (very annoying) works.

Adobe InDesign 14.0.2. x64, Win 10 Pro

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. I lost all Save, Save As, Undo functionality (everything is grayed out). To save my work, I have to export as an IDML .

Lost all Save, Save As, Undo functionality while working.
    To save my work, the only thing to do is to export as an IDML file. Force quitting to recover the file doesn't work. This has been happening to me since InDesign 5.5. I am currently using InDesign CC 2018. There are no particular steps, it happens at random. I can have several files open and it only happens to one file, or sometimes it's more than one file. It happens whether I'm working off of my Desktop or on our server.

127 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As part of the investigation into the cause of this issue, we personally reached out to many of you over email. We have so far heard from only some of you.

Of the responses we have received, the conclusion we’ve come to is:
    This issue was intermittent, happened once during the course of work but somehow got resolved and has not happened again. This issue can’t be reproduced now.

Over a period of time, this thread has not thrown any fresh clues on why this issue seems to occur randomly for some and then seems to resolve itself. So we’re closing this thread.

However, even though we’re closing this thread, if you again run into this issue any time on a consistent basis, please report it here on UserVoice (in a new thread) with supporting assets like:
    A) a test file,
    B) detailed steps to replicate the issue
    C) any…

11. Flashing screen

When trying to open Illustrator AND InDesign, the "new document" window that automatically pops up is white and just flashes on and off the screen. If I try to click out of the screen, it closes the whole program. I can't access any of my files.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. "paragraph style options" window size

Paragraph Style Options window opens bigger than my screen (regardless of the size screen I'm working on) and there is no way to resize the window or set the default size of the window? In order to work with Paragraph Styles, I am constantly having to move the window around so I can see all the options there, then move it again to see the preview in my document.

WHY CAN'T WE RESIZE THIS WINDOW? There's no reason it needs to be this large; most of the space is blank.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. CC Libraries fail to load or connect during launch even when CC is running in the background

CC Library associated link resource images causes error messages during launch of program or file even when CC is running in the background.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Placed Illustrator files do not show transparency correctly on GPU Preview

When placing an .ai file with transparency, the file renders without any alpha channel at all in GPU Preview. Switch to CPU Preview, and the .ai files render correctly. Transparency should be shown in both modes, right?

iMac 27 High Sierra 10.13.6

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Distorted Text and Graphics in high sierra

When opening a previously created file, I noticed small visual artifacts in the rendering of vector graphics in the file. As I zoomed in to inspect it, the artifacts began jumping all over the place, and as I zoomed in further, text on the page began presenting the same behavior.

Using InDesign 2017.1, Build 12.1.0.56 on a 2016 Macbook Pro (2.9 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB RAM), running macOS High Sierra 10.13.

215 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Closed: Fixed  ·  Sumit Garg responded

This is a macOS10.13 issue, specific for some Intel GPU cards. Apple has fixed(partially) this issue inside macOS10.13.4 released build.

Following are the workaround for resolving this issue.
    1) Update your mac machine to latest macOS10.13.4. Here, Apple has fixed this issue to some extent. You will face very less number of rendering issues.
    2) Disable GPU preview and set display performance as typical.

Once you have updated to macOS10.13.4 .You might still face some rendering issues. Since, Apple has not fixed this issue completely.
    Please switch off GPU rendering for these cases and report a separate post for tracking.

16. spinning beach ball when clicking into text box

When clicking on a text box to edit text or move box, spinning beach ball delays response by 5 seconds to over a minute. Happens with text tool or select tools. Only way to solve this issue is to work offline. My internet is fine. I use many other apps besides indd and do not have delay issues. Never had a problem prior to the integration of Typekit in most recent versions. MacOS 10.14.3.
    Attached are some screen grabs showing recent freezes. Spinning beach ball is not visible, but that's what I am seeing. Thank you for your attention.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Text cursor disappears - Mojave and InDesign CC 13.1

After upgrading to Mac OSX Mojave (10.14), using InDesign CC 13.1 ME, the text cursor disappears. All other cursors appear as expected. This happens both with the standard Text tool, and the ME Text tool.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Still not fixed—GREP search fails to find all the matching instances in long documents

An Adobe Indesign CC 2019 (version 14.0.2) file has fewer than 15K characters. A return, followed by the text “ppp”, appears 27 times in the file. They can all be found using the “Text” version of find, searching for “^ppp”. However, using the “GREP” version of find, searching for “\rppp”, only the last one is found. (I am running MacOS Mojave, version 10.14.5 on a MaxBook Pro, retina, 15 inch, mid 2015).

I followed the purported fix found at https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/search-issue-in-long-documents.html but with no success.

Indesign files are invalid file types for attaching to this bug post; however I have a…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Optical Kerning Indesign Plugin (missing)

CC 2019. Mac OSX 10.14.6

We have encountered a file corruption whereby we are now unable to open an indesign doc. We get the error message as shown in the screen shot however nobody in our office has this plugin. The operator who created the file cannot even open the file - we are lost as to what has happened to this file as nobody in the team has any additional plugins. We are running the latest version of CC.

Has anybody else come across this issue as we cannot even search online for such a plugin - does it…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. InDesign totally unusable for large threaded tables after 2015 version

Using Windows 10 Pro, high end computer (Ryzen 1800X, 32Gb RAM, NVMe SSD, 1080Ti)

Create an Excel file with 8000 rows of random data, place into InDesign with as unformatted table.

Use shift-click to create pages and thread the table to each page.

Try to scroll without InDesign freezing for 30 seconds. I can't.

I have tried:
    - Cleaning preferences / logging on different username to have a fresh profile
    - Using a different computer
    - Turning off preflight
    - Using fast display performance
    - Change the composer away from world ready, trying single line instead of paragraph
    - Turned…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base