Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

866 results found

1. Workspace not loading correctly

I use multiple screens on my Mac running 10.13.6 OS.
    I continually loose one of my palette sets from view. When I load my custom workplace the character \ paragraph / etc appear as I have saved them, but this randomly disappears - if I go to window and select character the spinning wheel tales 10 - 15 seconds to load up the pallet again and all is Ok for a while, then it disappears again - Tried saving a new workspace many times but always same thin happens - this is only happening after the last update.
    Running ID…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Type Tool Flicker

Specs:

InDesign CC2018 (13.1)

Mac Pro Late 2013

Mac OS Mojave (10.14.3)

64 GB RAM

AMD FirePro D300 2048 MB

Any document when first opened will blink the document window (not the entire screen - just the document) when clicking into a frame with the Type tool.

It occurs one time only then the remainder of work on that document is fine.

Open another document, issue reoccurs.

Double-clicking a text frame with the Selection tool will not blink and take you into the text frame without issue.

I've reset ID Prefs, removed all third party plugins and zapped my PRAM…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Macintosh InDesign V14.0.2. Freezes everytime I open it. Mojave operating system.

I can't use InDesign as it freezes everytime I open it. I have a brand new Mac Mini with Mojave. I have removed 14.0.2 and am loading an older version that actually worked - 13.1. Please let me know when 14.0.2 is working.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Updating to Mac OSX Mojave, Indesign now behaving slow and shortcut make new document does not work anymore

Drawing a box, moving it around etc is now a kind of laggy. Moves but slow and kind of stuttering.

The GUI overall, menus etc, behaves a bit slower as well. Not much but not as quick and responsive at it was in Sierra.

Have tried de-activating GPU but that has no difference at all.

I have the latest version, 14.0.2.
    Updated to Mojave because the Adobe chat support suggested that would help out some other issues I have had.
    One reason was that command + new shortcut stopped working. And now it stopped working again...

Same thing happens in…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Text selection selects whole document AND cursor jumps to top of document after saving

InCopy 14.0. MacOs Mojave 10.14.4
    I work in a icml-document which was assigned to me from InDesign. It contains references to other documents and a lot of comments (for the designer).
    After I have made the third or later comment, it becomes impossible to select text. InCopy selects the text from the top of the document upto the point where I click the mouse. When I try Option+Shift+Arrow, the cursor jumps to the top of the document. I can save the document, after which the issue is away until I have made a few extra comments, but which also puts…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Key Commands not working

Sometimes when I open up an InDesign document none of my key commands work (I'm on the most up to date version of InDesign CC).

I end up having to close the file and restart the program to get them to work again. I have had instances in the past where I have 2 documents open at the same time and the key commands work in one but not the other.

Does anyone else ever have this issue?

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. InDesign opens two files when only one selected.

When I open a file, InDesign will open another file at the same time, one that I didn't select. Not a horrible inconvenience, but why is this happening?

InDesign CC 14.0.1 x 64

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. CC library window reappears when adding new paragraph style

Please stop the CC library pane appearing every time a new paragraph style is created. Seems to be a bug as there's no clear relationship between the features.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Smart folder (Mac) not showing items

When trying to place a file with "File/Place", smart folders in the file browser do not load any items to select from. Same also with image relinks.
    Strangely the same thing with "File/Save as" works fine.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. InDesigns gives me random stuff when clicking on an option

Recently, I'm in for a surprise when trying to use InDesign. I click on a certain option, and something random pops up, for example while typing this, I'm clicking on "Window > Pages", I'm getting redirected to Adobe website to buy InDesign (note, I already bought the license). Clicking again, redirected to another InDesign file, clicking another time, now I get my Table Style, basically I get everything except the Pages.

It's always a surprise what I get and I don't know how to get rid of this issue once and for all. This is the case for every option.…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Menu Items Opens Webpage to Buy InDesign

Indesign CC 2019
    Multiple clicks on menu items with the same results.
    When clicking on menu items the menu item should appear.
    When clicking on Type>Tabs, About InDesign opens a webpage (see attached) to buy Indesign. Each menu item goes to the same webpage. First time I have had this happen.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Shortcuts and keyboard keys stop working.

CC2018, Windows 10, latest update as of 01/18/18, x64 system with 12GB RAM. I often have to close and reopen documents or InDesign itself for shortcuts and some keys to work. There does not seem to be a common cause or specific file(s) that sets it off and it may or may not happen to all open documents if more than one is open. Generally closing the document and reopening it helps, but there have been times where I have to restart the program for anything to work. The issue includes any shortcuts and sometimes keys such as the arrow…

32 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. properties panel tab order for changing document size

In the properties panel, please change the tab order for document size/number of pages.

When typing new dimensions for a document I would expect to type the new width for the layout and press tab to then type the new height for the layout, instead, tab takes you to number of pages!

Madness!!!

The number of times I have gone to resize a document and changed the width to a new measurement and then added 594 new pages instead of altering the new height to 594mm.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Programs hangs after having selected a text and then opening the font drop down list.

After having selected some text and then opening the drop down font menu, the program starts doing an infinte number of calculations and never stops (the CPU core being used is maxed and remains like that).

FFS hire someone who can fix it.. its been ages.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. after indesign is open I try to open a 2nd file; it attempts to open another instance of indesign (but I only have license for 1 station)

When I already have Indesign open, I try clicking (within windows file explorer) on an Indesign file in an attempt to open it. When I do this an attempt is made to open another instance of Indesign instead of opening the file with the instance of Indesign already open. I only have a license for 1 station of Indesign and so the new instance of Indesign crashes. The result is I am unable to open the Indesign file this way when always before I was able to.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. excel sheet names

InDesign doesn't show named cell ranges for excel sheet tabs that start with a number. If the sheet name starts with a number the named cell ranges on that sheet will not show up in the import drop down.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. print dialog offset greyed out

The offset, gap and transverse options in the Setup section of the Print Dialog are not greyed out and so available. I tried various document presents, print presets and printers - and no matter what settings are selected these features remain greyed out. I cannot find in help pages or anywhere online how to activate this feature. Please help or fix.

Adobe InDesign CC 2019 14.0.2 x64

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Unusable actual InDesign CC 2019

Actually InDesign is not production ready. Every few seconds the beach ball spins. I found a workaround which is … well ok but not satisfying: As long as I work in the idml-file it works but as soon as I'm opening an indd file the program slows down extremely.

That can't be the solution! Why don't you see that?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Properties Panel snaps closed inconveniently

I must admit, I was not a huge fan of the new properties panel, as I found having the properties at the top of my workspace quick, convenient and more easily accessible. In working with typography I've encountered a few issues with the latest release of CC (working on iMac High Sierra):

1. If I try to open the character panel, there is a lag time with the dreaded rainbow spinning wheel that either takes way to long to load and sometimes crashes the program.

So, to get around that, I've adopted using the properties panel for type changes, which opens…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. stuck on type tool

I'm stuck on the Type tool. It won't let me select or change my tools at all. I've had to shut down and restart three times now. Whenever I get into the type tool, it stays and I can't get out or click anywhere else. Keyboard shortcuts do not work

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    We had launched our investigation into the matter to get to the root cause of the problem. As the part of our investigation, we had reached out to many of you personally over email.
    We have concluded our investigation and have come up with few findings.

1. For many of the users the issue got fixed after updating InDesign to a newer version.
    2. For few, the issue was intermittent and is no longer reproducible.
    4. For majority of the users, the underlying cause of the performance issue was identified to be related to switching between tools, or other lags

Over the time this thread has become too generic to serve its purpose effectively. As per your feedback and the outcome of our investigation we have created multiple threads to address each root cause separately and effectively.

If you are…

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base