Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. InDesign 16.0 Ignores Lock File on Network Share

InDesign 16.0 on MacOS 10.15.7, several different machines, all experience this issue where InDesign has changed its behavior regarding locked files. Our machines are networked and share a drive across a gigabit intraoffice connection to collaborate on work. It's important for our workflow that work is done sequentially, with one person handing off a project to another. There is no non-sequential work.

On previous versions of ID, when trying to open a .indd file while a corresponding .idlk file is present, InDesign would give an error. This was the expected behavior, as it prevented two people working on the same…

24 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

13 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. CEPHtmlEngine Helper

macOS Catalina 10.15.5. and InDesign. 15.1.1.

Massive problem with CEPHtmlEngine Helper. After a while, my MacBook Pro fan is running high and in the activity window, CEPHtmlEngine Helper is running between 90 and 100%. It is no fun to work with a system that runs crazy.
    Why? Solution needed.

35 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

42 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. inDesign 16.1 - New version(s) do not keep color settings for documents

Just one more thing to check EVERY time I look at the document.

Reverts to ---- Emulate Adobe inDesign 2.0 CMS Off

ISSUE
    A. Even after changing the Color Settings in an open document when I switch apps and come back the Colors Settings have reverted ---- Emulate Adobe inDesign 2.0 CMS Off ---- this is really, really annoying.

B. Opening a document that had been saved in the current version - the Color Settings did not save with the document -

I just made my regular preference without a document open - quit the program reopened -- the Color…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Undo Not Working properly in InDesign 2020

InDesign CC 2020 Undo goes back to last saved version. It does not go back one step with Command-Z. Therefore, I lose all edits made since last save. It also crashes frequently

105 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

171 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. InDesign 2021 is not allowing me to open files created in previous version

I cannot open any files created in previous version. I had to reinstall InDesign 2020 to be able to do my work. InDesign 2021 is giving me a message about damaged files, is trying to repair them but without any success. So this version needs to be fixed asap.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Error on Save : "Indesign is unable to save this file. We tried, but appears to be damaged."

Indesign constantly comes up with a weird error when ever I click save while in a document - 'Indesign is unable to save this file. We tried, but appears to be damaged. click Ok.

Also I know in the previous version that whenever I zoomed in too much I would get constant crashes. Hope it's been fixed in the version but I won't hold my breath.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 2020 spinning wheel

InDesign 2020 has become almost unusable for me -- with every step the spinning wheel appears and delays for 30 seconds until ultimately I need to force quit. I am using the latest version of 2020 15.1.2. Should I revert to an earlier version?

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. ID 2021 (16.1) slow performance with all palettes open

Running ID 2021 (16.1) on MacPro (2019) 3.3 Ghz / 192Gb / AMD Radeon Pro W5700X 16 Gb / MacOS 10.15.7.

So, I would like to report a bug related to the palettes in ID. I run a 2 monitor setup with my work on one screen and all my ID palettes on on the second screen. I have run this way for 10+ years. This has always been OK until I moved from InDesign 2019 (14.0.3) to ID 2021 (16.1) 2 months ago.

The performance of ID 16.1 is unacceptably slow. It is as if you have a really…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Help can't save any file

As soon as I try to save any newly created file I get a warning the file is damaged and changes will be lost. Also noticed past-in-place does not paste in place. Something is drastically wrong.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. turn off Touch workspace!

Can Adobe PLEASE stop making the Touch workspace compulsory every time the app launches. Not all users want this. We didn't ask Adobe to turn off our usual interface and replace it with a Touch version.

When we have to go through the mandatory 'hey this is new examples' EVERY TIME just to get into the app, only to have to turn it off by choosing "essentials" (top right) EVERY TIME we launch the app, it becomes a major pain.

Who on earth at Adobe throught this would be a good idea? Surely this is just a bug? Why isn't…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Footnotes Still Disappearing: Please Update Your Customers

Adobe: The bug described in "[Performance] Footnote disappears" back in October 2019 is still plaguing users.

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/38832532--performance-footnote-disappears#

You can see from the comments that this issue is causing massive headaches for publishing teams.

The last update from Adobe is from March 2020 and claims that this bug is under review.

Your customers deserve a response and desperately need a fix.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Mac OS Save As file name highlight bug

Productivity killing bug in InDesign 16.2.1 AND Illustrator 25.2.3 (but not Photoshop 22.3.1!!):

Mac OS (Catalina, currently) Save As dialog box highlights the entire file name, including the extension, which has been a bug the past several versions. For over a decade, Save As would not include the extension in the highlight, so one could tap the arrow key once to the end of the file name to change it, to increment a version number for example. This bug has been a huge stumbling block in my productivity.

Also, in InDesign, the sometimes Save As does not highlight the file…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. InDesign 16.1 and MAcOS 11.3 Big Sur

After the update to Big Sur, InDesign is very slow, the cursors have delays to change states. Very difficult to work with.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. spinning ball

mac mid 18, os 10.15.7, indesign 2021 (16.0.1).

spinning ball coming every now and then … not able to reproduce, behaviour is arbitrary. but happens often when needing to do something creative or fast, which then is always VERY annoying to wait. I wish you could solve that behaviour or REALLY rework indesign, since it seems to hapen to a lot of other people too.

thanks in advance.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. no correct hyphenation of German words with dashes

In German we have many terms consisting of two or more words with dashes in between. Everybody would hyphenate these naturally behind the dashes. InDesign is unable to do so, but suggests multiple wrong or ugly hyphenations and leaves the dashes as if they were non-breaking hyphens, which they are not! I know this problem since several years. I had it in CS5 and 6 as well as in every later version and today in InDesign 2020.
    For example: In cookbooks there are often intermediate products consisting of two or more ingredients. Some (artificial) examples:
    Das Mehl mit dem Kakaopulver,…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Indesign lock files ignored v16

Indesign 2021 v16 appears to ignore lock files on every document. It will open them as Read Only on the 2nd machine and allow editing but then cause confusion when the user goes to save but cannot. Students don't quite have the technical knowledge to wrap their head around this problem or how to deal with saving locally and replacing the file. I found forum posts of this back in November. Some machines had this problem due to some being updated a bit more than others and .idlk incompatibility, but now all are on Mac OS 10.14.6 and Indesign v16…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. InDesign 16.2.1 completely broken (Big Sur)

16.2.1 completely broken/unusable on Big Sur. View continually jumps around and fractures, whether you're interacting with the program or not. The moment you zoom/drag to the view you want, it jumps and fractures to another view. Had to revert.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. freezing in Indesign version 16.2.1

Hi all

I was working on a very important file yesterday morning using Indesign version 16.2.1 on PC window 10 and was linking images to the file when my indesign just froze. I've been having issues since where it takes for ever if at all to open any indesign file. At one stage it didn't recover my file so a message came up to ask if I wanted to recovery it....what ever option I chose I was left with Indesign unable to still function properly. (I had also renamed files incase the file was corrupt) Also noticed when force quiting…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. When opening up files I get an error " Missing required parameter 'from' for method 'open'.

This started happening after I upgraded indesign. 2021
    I reinstalled the program issue still present.I uninstalled all other version of indesign and re installed after this still happens. In order to work I have to restart the machine or copy the file to my desktop.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. crashing macbook

InDesign keeps crashing my Macbook after 10-20 minutes of use

MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1 chip, 2020)
    macOS Big Sur - version 11.2.3

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 27 28
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base