Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Undo Not Working properly in InDesign 2020

InDesign CC 2020 Undo goes back to last saved version. It does not go back one step with Command-Z. Therefore, I lose all edits made since last save. It also crashes frequently

89 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

130 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. CC 2020 + Catalina makes computer really slow

On a brand new iMac (Catalina), opening CC 2020 apps makes everything lag. When Adobe apps are not open, computer performance is fine. According to the Adobe Support Community, this issue seems pretty widespread and Adobe's suggested fixes do not help.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. InDesign, InCopy: linked copy and image files randomly broken

We are a group of 16 graphic designers working on Macs. Our OS are varied between Sierra, High Sierra and Mojave. We work in InDesign 14.03 and 15.02 (with linked InCopy assets), Bridge 9.1 and 10.03, Photoshop 20.0.8 and 21.1, and Illustrator 23.1.1 and 24.1. We work on Box Drive and store our layout files and absolute-linked image assets there. It is critical that we are able to work on each others’ files in a high-volume, high-production environment. We don’t believe this is an issue related to our connection speeds.

Looking for a resolution to these issues:

InDesign: Not all…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. For long documents containing more than 50K characters, GREP search fails to find all matching instances

Since updating to CC 14.0.2 on Windows, GREP search is no longer functioning properly. Not all instances of queries are found, or not found at all.
    I believe this is the case when working on documents created in an older version. In a newly created document it does work as it should.

81 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

30 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

5. CEPHtmlEngine Helper

Hey,

since ID 2020 on OS X Catalina, I’ve a problem with CEPHtmlEngine Helper.
    After a while, my MacBook Pro fan is running high and in the activity window, CEPHtmlEngine Helper is running between 90 and 100%. I’ve to kick the process stop it. First, I thought its Photoshop, because I read it on google, but when I analyzing the process in the activity window, it shows, that this is caused of InDesign.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. InDesign 2020 (v15.0) everything slow compared to 2019 (v14.0.3)

Since upgarding to InDesign 2020 performance has slowed considerably. Selecting a frame takes ages, clicking the cursor in a different part of a text frame takes ages for the cursor to appear etc. Almost every action has a 2 or 3 second delay; whereas it would fly along on v14.

I have 20-core Xeon PC with 64 GB RAM and Nvidia Quadro K5000 graphics; so no slouch!

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Reveal in Finder on NAS Server not working

When using InDesign 14.0.3, on mac OS X Catalina (10.15.1), ctrl clicking the .indd file's title bar to reveal in finder doesn't work (switches to finder but doesn't reveal) if the .indd file is stored on NAS RAID server. Server connection is afp://
    Revel in Finder command works fine if the .indd file is stored locally.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Proportional Scaling, Duplicating, Moving objects aligned doesn't work anymore!

I updated to Indesign 2020 … now: Proportional Scaling Using Shift+Mouse does not work. Duplicating using Alt+Shift+Mouse does not work. Moving objects in same Line using Shift+Mouse does not work.

These are critical features – why won't they work anymore?
    Even in Indesign 2019 they don't work anymore since the update …

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. In InDesign CC 2019 slow Reaction Time on clicking from one object to another.

Using InDesign CC 14.0 on Windows 10. I have an magazine layout with text and picture boxes, of course. When clicking from one box to another, there is a long delay, a temporary freeze. Eventually (20-30 seconds) it awakens and I can move on. But it's happening more frequently, even after a reboot.

Is this an issue of my computer talking to Adobe servers?

Nothing to screen shot, there is no message.

98 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

122 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Following up on the comments stating that the issue is yet not fixed, we did our investigation and found that, the issues being called out in the comment section, though maybe relevant but are different than the one for which this thread was originally created.

This particular thread caters to a very specific case which has been fixed in the last update of InDesign.

If you continue to face performance related issues with InDesign, we sincerely request you to create a separate thread so that we can categorize the performance related issues and address them completely.
    In addition to track the performance issues effectively, it will also enable us to reach out to you in a organised manner when we investigate into each category of performance issues.

We are extremely sorry for the troubles you are facing with InDesign and we are determined to resolve them as efficiently…

10. experiencing bug when sending project from Adobe Comp CC to Indesign CC

I get a dialouge box in Indesign CC when eksportering/transferring project from Adobe Comp cc on my mobile device to laptop with InDesign CC.

It says - losely translated from danish:
    "The file "filename.idml" can not be opened. Adobe Indesign doesn't support this file format. You might be missing an extra module that supports this format or the file is possibly open in another program.

See attached screenshot.

How do I solve this? It works when sending to photoshop and illustrator. Used to work with InDesign too.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Slow InDesign

This latest update for late August/September is really really really slow. It lags crazy. It's not efficient to work in. Even with small documents.
    It's the most unpleasant InDesign experience ever!

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. CEPHtmlEngine

CEPHtmlEngine (as seen in activity monitor)

What's this??

Using Indesign CC 2020 on Macos Catalina 10.15.1

Sometimes one of these CEPHtmlEngines (7 or 8, I don't know what these processes do, and 'helpers') uses to 80%, the fan goes up, sometimes a beachball. What can I do to ged rid of this??

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. InDesign VERY SLOW almost UNUSABLE

InDesign is slow to almost unworkable. Mac OS Mojave, vs 10.14.6, InDesign 14.0.3. Copy an image, import an image, save the file, etc. Turned off preflight,
    Everything is extremely slow. Disable Suitcase and that did nothing to improve InDesign's performance. Have no other 3rd party plugins. I reinstalled 14.0.3 didn't help. Uninstalled 14.0.3 and installed 14.0.2 didn't help. So slow! Barely workable and can't finish my work on time.
    I'm using an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019) ,3.1 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Radeon Pro 575X 4 GB.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Save window file name AND extension are highlighted by default.

Before upgrading to Catalina, when I go to save a file or export the name of the file will be highlighted.

I can then tap the right arrow and the cursor (blinking line) will go to the end of the file name but BEFORE the file extension.

But after upgrading to Catalina, the file name AND the file extension are both highlighted by default so when pressing the arrow key, the cursor goes to the end AFTER the file extension.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Version 15.0.2 - Duplicate folder saving to desktop

After moving a packaged folder from the desktop, if I go back to edit the file it creates a duplicate folder to the desktop with only the contents of Document fonts (which does not include all fonts). Definitely a concern of saving over existing data.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Suddenly my document reverts to an earlier version

Ever since I updated Adobe InDesign to version 15.0.1, my current document suddenly reverts to a state from several minutes prior. All of my recent changes are gone, up to ten minutes, and they are not even available under Edit > Redo.

I've started saving more often now. Recently, this problem happened again. It suddenly went back to an earlier state than I had last saved, so I closed without saving, reopened, and the file was exactly in the state I expected, which was a LATER state than my document had reverted itself to (thank goodness), but not where I…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Trackpad scroll issues with InDesign v15.0.2 on new MacBook Pro 16" 2.4 GHz 8 core processor 64GBmemory. .

InDesign v15.0.2 Trackpad is not scrolling well on new MacBook Pro 16" 2.4 GHz 8 core processor 64GBmemory. I just upgraded my equipment to top of line MacBook Pro. and bought the subscription to Adobe all apps. I have been using 2013 MacbookPro with CS6. My files are unresponsive in Indesign. I typically collage with 600+ photoshop images to make is single design on multiple pages. On my old system I was not running into problems except new OS was incompatible with CS6.

This is unacceptable. I called Adobe and they were not helpful.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Slow performance

Lately InDesign is nearly unusable. Almost every action from selecting objects, resizing objects, or moving objects comes with a really slow reaction time. Even when clicking between panels in the toolbar there is a delay of about half a second.

I have tried ruling out potential issues like updating graphic drivers and embedding all resources into the document. Nothing works it seems like the application is just unstable. Please advise, I love to work with indesign but this is overall a very bad user experience.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Spellcheck

Spellcheck in InDesign 2020 build 15.0.2 doesn't work. It acts like it is working, but it never finds any misspellings. I noticed it yesterday when I sent an article to the proof reader and it came back with errors InDesign should have detected. I purposely put in misspellings, but InDesign found no spelling mistakes.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. inDesign 2020 removed the zoom view box from the top menu bar

This user is much unhappy that inDesign 2020 no longer provides the zoom view box that appeared in the top menu bar, directly to the right of the help tab. That was a fast, easy way to change the view size of the file in the screen.

I was told by Adobe that this feature was dropped because the screen size view could be achieved by other existing features. Sure... now one must pull down a tab, then go to another command and activate a feature like zoom in and zoom out. And that only shifts the view in or…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

The change was made to reduce the UI clutter for the user and it was moved to the bottom left of the screen in the Status bar where other controls like page navigation, preflight profiles, etc. are available.

To continue using this feature, we can suggest a simple workaround which takes less than a minute to accomplish – just open the Keyboard Shortcuts dialog, choose Views, Navigation from the Product Area drop-down, select the ‘Access zoom percentage box’ from the list of commands and assign a shortcut – example, Ctrl-Alt-5. You can customize the keyboard shortcuts as you like and save a new Keyboard Shortcut Set.

Meanwhile, we are reviewing this request.

Adobe InDesign team

← Previous 1 3 4 5 18 19
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base