Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. indesign cursor lag

My cursor is lagging while passing over portions of the Layers Panel specifically.
    I'm working on a Macbook Pro, with a BenQ GW2765 external monitor.
    The issue only happens while InDesign is on the external monitor, and it works fine while on the macbook pro.
    I've attached a video sample of the issue in action.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have identified that this occurs when you connect your Macbook Pro with an external monitor using the older, obsolete Apple adapter.

On using the newer, updated model of the Apple adapter, this issue does not occur. Many of our users have confirmed this.

Please share what hardware you’re using to connect the external monitor to your MBP.

Adobe InDesign team

2. zooming at high percents very slow and beach ball

Hello,
    when I’m zooming in Indesign like in an Poster or Flyer with some images and some other objects at 2400 % Indesign get very slow and when I move an object, the beach ball comes up.
    At 3200% and 4000% its not possible to move any objects without struggling with the beach ball.

I’m using an 2017 MacBook Pro
    Indesign CC 2020

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. content aware fit and linked images problem

Content aware fit is a great idea and is potentially a real timesaver when importing images but I've had to disable it as when updating existing linked images that have been adjusted, rather than keep their size/scale as before they all auto-fit and this is a nightmare when you have carefully placed images such as logos in a long document.

Could do with an option to auto fit on image import only, or an option to override when updating image links. Unless I've missed something?

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update (14.0.2) of InDesign 2019.

If you are unable to see the update notification, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

The list of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

4. Indesign performance issue : CC 2019 uses all the system memory on Mojave

So basically i cant't use InDesign since updating to the new version. Even if it's idle without anything open, it starts to use up all the system memory in macOs Mojave.

This is what happens:
    1. Open InDesign
    2. Doesn't matter if im working or it's just open
    3. After about 5 minutes, there's a system alert of Mojave saying, InDesign is using 550 GB of system memory and there's nothing left to work with.

System:
    iMac Pro (macOS Mojave 10.14)
    3 GHz Intel Xeon W (10 cores)
    64 GB RAM
    Radeon Pro Vega 64

It's a new iMac with…

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Cannot save file " " under a new name. The file "DBTmp982766505057" is damaged (Error code: 0).

I just upgraded to Mac OS 10.14.6 Mojave in order to accommodate the latest Adobe CC 2019, which I also just installed. I have yet to be able to save an InDesign file. I keep getting the above message.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Presets did not export to CC 2020

None of my workspace, grep, place from Word, or postscript presets exported from the previous version.

Also there is no more option to save a custom print to postscript setting.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Locked to dell canvas screen, can't move to other screens

On a multiscreen system, when InDesign starts up on the Dell Canvas drawing tablet screen, the window can't be moved to any other screen in the system. If the Dell Canvas is turned off then on, InDesign automatically moves to another screen. At that point, the window can be moved to any other screen in the system. However, if you move it totally onto the Canvas screen, it will be pinned to that screen, unable to move back to the other screens.

InDesign 15.01 x64. Dell Canvas screen is the primary screen for windows. Other monitors are 32" 4k+ monitor…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Windows 10 is not supported on our enterprise CS account???

I received a notice that an update is required, but Windows 10 is not supported on our enterprise Adobe CS account on my work computer??

"Update required
    You must update your system to install lnDesign. Please check the following:
    Windows 7 Service Pack 1, Windows 10 or later (Note: Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 version 1507, Windows 10 version 1511, Windows 10 version 1703 and Windows 10 version 1709 are not supported)"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Indesign performance issue : slow opening, saving, exporting files

InDesign taking up to 5 minutes to open a file. The file is a one-page document. Two minutes of nothing, then 2 minutes of a blue status bar, then another minute watching the tiny status bar on the application icon in the doc. Once the file is "open" it isn't visible until I toggle back and forth between InDesign and another application. Saving, even after changing only one text character, takes 55 seconds. Exporting a 30 page document to PDF took 20 minutes.

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

10. experiencing bug when sending project from Adobe Comp CC to Indesign CC

I get a dialouge box in Indesign CC when eksportering/transferring project from Adobe Comp cc on my mobile device to laptop with InDesign CC.

It says - losely translated from danish:
    "The file "filename.idml" can not be opened. Adobe Indesign doesn't support this file format. You might be missing an extra module that supports this format or the file is possibly open in another program.

See attached screenshot.

How do I solve this? It works when sending to photoshop and illustrator. Used to work with InDesign too.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. InDesign 14 opening network files as read-only

We have been using InDesign for a while with files being stored on a network SMB share. on 4/4/19, after a few folks updated to 14.02, the Indesign and Incopy files are primarily only able to be opened as read-only.

Network server permissions have been verified and no other changes have occurred in our environment.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Please help us with answers to the below queries:

1. OS version of the machine where issue is reproducible.
    2.Are the files opened simultaneously by more than one user?
    3. Does the same file which is opened as Read Only in Id 14.0.2, when opened in Id 14.0.1 opens fine?
    4. Does remounting the SMB drive fixes the issue?

12. Indesign ALWAYS forgets app size and position

Indesign always forgets app size and position in latest 2020, V15.0, Windows.
    I thought that this issue was well and truly over after update patch with previous versions but here we are again, 2020 version 15.0 and still happening.
    Please fix as very annoying, also, this may be related but indesign main frame (top tool bars) completely disappear when first minimising the application, leaving the vertical tool bars behind, the only way to retrieve the main top toolbar is to re-start the application. Amateurish!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Removable Device Warning

I have been working with InDesign for many years and have learned to store my files on a removable device. This is because I have found them to be more stable than my computer and if the computer goes down, the data is fine. Now, I find myself getting a constant message telling me that I should not do this (which is Adobe's opinion and they are entitled to it) with a check box for me to select if I don't want to receive these messages again. Why, when I check this box, do I keep getting these messages? Sadly…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Indesign 2020 keeps asking me to save files

It says it has been altered (asterisk next to name) immediately after I open a file
    even I haven't made any changes. After I save it , the asterisk shows up again as soon as I scroll down!

I am using InDesign 2020, Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. InDesign performance is ****

The actual performance of InDesign is, speaking gently, ****. I really don't know how you can release such a buggy version. I'm doing nothing on my machine except writing this text and InDesign is using more than 500 % of my CPU and the fan of my graphic card is going nuts!

Calling the actual version "production ready" is a joke. I am really disappointed about Adobe. The only program actually which is really good and performing is XD.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. InDesign 14.0.2 constant spinning beachball - especially on text related commands

Working in InDesign 14.0.2 on High Sierra, (single computer home network) the programme is exceptionally slow - taking about 10 seconds (of beachballing) to select a line of copy. Clicking between objects takes 5-10 seconds also. This is happening on my Mac Book Pro and iMac, both running High Sierra - all other programmes are working normally. I have tried trashing my preferences and uninstalling etc, but nothing has improved the lagging issue. I have had to revert to the 2018 version to get my work done.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Problem with changing the cursor to text

Spinning wheel of death on cursor tool. Running latest version and catalina.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. InDesign 15.0 Smart Guides problem on converted files

After the 15.0 update InDesign does not show Smart Guides on files that are saved with the older version of InDesign. New blank documents show Smart Guides as they should but if I open (convert) old file to 15.0 Smart Guides stop working. So when I drag elements they don't snap to each other or center to the page for example.

I'm working on Windows 10.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Smart Grid feature not working properly. Green lines don't appear showing alignment with object's previous location

As the title says, when I move an object, the temporary green smart grid lines do not appear to show whether I am in alignment with the object's previous position. I noticed this when I was trying to replicate the 3rd video titled "Align and group content" in the "Edit Content" tutorial.

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/how-to/edit-modify-content.html

I am using Adobe InDesign version 14.0.2 x64 on Windows 10.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Live-Linking Word Document

Since updating to 14.0.3 the live linking function for text documents no longer works.

Since updating to 14.0.3 if I place a word document into my Indesign Document and ensure that the link text setting is turned on in file handline it places the word document but is unable to update the file when changes are made in word. It won't even allow for manual updating and you have to re-place the document every time you make an update. This means our project is going to take a lot longer to finish as we have to re-map our paragraph styles…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base