Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Arrow Functions

Why did you reverse the arrow colors? These were so primary to the use of the program its just a mind bend. I'm not finding the new functions to be very useful. The second arrow doesn't seem to have any valid use. Its harder to move the boxes with the first arrow because it jumps to the underlaying image and moves it instead. Trying to build a polygon and move the points to add highlight to irregular shapes and cannot move the points without it shifting other points that were set in place where they were needed. Not helpful.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. spell check

Hi

Please help

Half way through spell checking a document, InDesign has just stopped recognising plurals and suggesting spelling the word with a gap and then the 's'

I'm up to date with InDesign and have been using it for over 15 years and never seen this

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. InDesign Stalls when Network Volume Disconnected

Whenever I have a linked/placed file on a shared network volume (Mac) and I disconnect from that volume InDesign stalls, it doesn't crash, it does usually recover but takes several minutes. This is even if the ID file containing the linked item has been closed. I think this could be fixed.
    Current Mac OS, Current ID.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. control panel disappears

Have upgraded to InD 2020 v 15.0.3 -- whenever i close all documents and then open a new one (i.e. when there is not already a doc open in InD), my control panel disappears and wont re-appear via tab or reset workspace. I have it set to floating. I have to close and restart my InD for the control panel to reappear again. Never had this problem before! Is this just my Mac or is it InD?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Modifier keys for transform not working

Transforming a selection normally can be influenced by holding down Shift and/or Command to respectively Constrain Rroportions and choose to Scale from center.

But in InDesign 2020 on Mac OS Catalina this stopped working. Maybe due to a system setting (no antivirus is active at the moment).

Does anyone know how to get back this essential functionality?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. file menu

Menu/File dropdown not working. When I try to Save as, Export or Print from the menu, nothing happens. Shortcut keys work, but seemingly nothing in the dropdown. I am using the latest version of Indesign and Apple OS

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. CEPHtmlEngine

CEPHtmlEngine (as seen in activity monitor)

What's this??

Using Indesign CC 2020 on Macos Catalina 10.15.1

Sometimes one of these CEPHtmlEngines (7 or 8, I don't know what these processes do, and 'helpers') uses to 80%, the fan goes up, sometimes a beachball. What can I do to ged rid of this??

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. In InDesign CC 2019 slow Reaction Time on clicking from one object to another.

Using InDesign CC 14.0 on Windows 10. I have an magazine layout with text and picture boxes, of course. When clicking from one box to another, there is a long delay, a temporary freeze. Eventually (20-30 seconds) it awakens and I can move on. But it's happening more frequently, even after a reboot.

Is this an issue of my computer talking to Adobe servers?

Nothing to screen shot, there is no message.

104 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

122 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Following up on the comments stating that the issue is yet not fixed, we did our investigation and found that, the issues being called out in the comment section, though maybe relevant but are different than the one for which this thread was originally created.

This particular thread caters to a very specific case which has been fixed in the last update of InDesign.

If you continue to face performance related issues with InDesign, we sincerely request you to create a separate thread so that we can categorize the performance related issues and address them completely.
    In addition to track the performance issues effectively, it will also enable us to reach out to you in a organised manner when we investigate into each category of performance issues.

We are extremely sorry for the troubles you are facing with InDesign and we are determined to resolve them as efficiently…

9. cross-reference bug InDesgin 2020

I'm working with a 50-page document using the latest version of InDesign (15.1.1 x64) on Windows 10. Cross-reference not only takes minutes to create but also takes that amount of time to update. It's become a useless feature of InDesign.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Buttons and bookmarks doesn't work properly

Some work fine in the same page! I´ve had try changing the file name, re-done every text box, replace text and bookmarked its again, but nothing happens.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Separation Preview Bug

Separation preview will scrambled when you jump to next page and turn any colour separation off, the text and image from previous page will show on the current display page.

This issue has beed existed since version 2017 to 2020. I saw some users are facing same issue from previous version and not been fix all these years.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Deprecated GPU renderer

I found out today that indesign uses the OpenGL engine on Mac Mojave, despite the fact that Apple no longer supports the technology. Why? Can you fix it to improve Indesign GPU performance, and use it for raster more faster previews, effects like shadows and exports?

Indesign 15.1.1 , running on Mojave 10.14.6

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. experiencing bug when sending project from Adobe Comp CC to Indesign CC

I get a dialouge box in Indesign CC when eksportering/transferring project from Adobe Comp cc on my mobile device to laptop with InDesign CC.

It says - losely translated from danish:
    "The file "filename.idml" can not be opened. Adobe Indesign doesn't support this file format. You might be missing an extra module that supports this format or the file is possibly open in another program.

See attached screenshot.

How do I solve this? It works when sending to photoshop and illustrator. Used to work with InDesign too.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. False state with app.gpuPerformancePreferences.enableGpuPerformance if no GPU available

Function GetEnableGPUPerformance() of interface IGPUPerformancePrefs of GetExecutionContextSession()->QueryWorkspace() returns true in case no GPU or a not supported GPU is installed on your macOS computer.

To reproduce launch InDesign CC 2018 or later with modifier keys command, option, control, and shift pressed and confirm resetting the preferences.

If you now check the setting either with some C++ code, or ExtendScript "app.gpuPerformancePreferences.enableGpuPerformance", in both cases the returned result is true , which is not the expected result.

When you now choose Preferences > GPU Performance the properties are shown deselected and disabled, which is correct. If you now click in "OK", the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Major performance issues in 15.0.2 with multiple large documents open

I'm on a Windows laptop with a Core i7, 16 gb of ram and a dedicated GPU. Up until the 15.0.2 update there was some hitching and slowdown with these large files (and I noticed a weird bug where hitting T to use the Type tool doesn't actually change the tool) but now editing text can take up to 10 minutes with more than one file open. I can't make a screencast at the moment since I had to reinstall 15.0.1 to complete the project on time but the filesize we're talking about is 50-75mb, ~60 pages or so with…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Stop hiding the known issues, and release notes for each release

Where's the link that leads to the latest releases known issues list? It's hard enough to find the release notes for the newest version release.

It should be a simple link right under the is this compatible with your computer info in The creative cloud desktop app.

I need the list of known issues with the latest release to determine whether or not I'm going to upgrade to it or wait until a critical issue is resolved.

Sometimes an issue will not be in the feature I use so I will update other times it is something that will majorly…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. 15.1.1 Fonts in Document fonts folder not recognized when first opening documents

Certain fonts in the Document fonts folder fail to activate when first opening a document, but WILL activate upon a 2nd or 3rd attempt.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Trackpad scroll issues with InDesign v15.0.2 on new MacBook Pro 16" 2.4 GHz 8 core processor 64GBmemory. .

InDesign v15.0.2 Trackpad is not scrolling well on new MacBook Pro 16" 2.4 GHz 8 core processor 64GBmemory. I just upgraded my equipment to top of line MacBook Pro. and bought the subscription to Adobe all apps. I have been using 2013 MacbookPro with CS6. My files are unresponsive in Indesign. I typically collage with 600+ photoshop images to make is single design on multiple pages. On my old system I was not running into problems except new OS was incompatible with CS6.

This is unacceptable. I called Adobe and they were not helpful.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. MacOS Save As dialog box bugs: escape key not closing, file name highlight bug

Escape key no longer closes Save As dialog box (macOS Catalina, InDesign 15.1.1), AND file name is no longer highlighted correctly -- it either isn't highlighted at all, or incorrectly includes the extension.

This behavior is different from 20+ years of using Adobe products. Please Fix!!

Escape key DOES close the Export dialog box, so it is OBVIOUSLY a bug. Else, why would it be designed inconsistent behavior, hmm?! (looking at you, UX team)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. 탐색기나 브릿지와의 호환

인디자인 cc로 업데이트 한후 탐색기나 브릿지에서 이미지를 가지고 올때 드래그가 안되는 현상이 가끔 발생합니다. 너무 불편합니다. 문제 해결좀 해주세요.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base