Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Either the file does not exist... ERROR

I've noticed a pattern when clicking on one of my recent file icons... I use two different cloud storage platforms, Dropbox and Sync. Both services are accessed from local folders on the same external hard drive. When trying to open one of the recent DROPBOX files from the Recent start page, I get the dreaded 'Either the file does not exist...' error.

BUT, when I follow the same process with one of the SYNC files, it opens with no issues.

ALSO, I can open files from EITHER service using the File > Open Recent method.

So... could the problem somehow…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Track changes slow

The track changes feature is very slow. If I click on »accept and search for next« (sorry, I’m running a German locale of InDesign) in a long document (100+ pp.), I’ll have to wait for the next tracked change.

Please speed this up!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Handtool Spacebar not working (CC2020)

When ending Sleep Mode on my MacBook Pro, the Handtool via the spacebar in InDesign does not work nor in any other Adobe Application. No other Application open besides Mail. Restart Applications doesn´t help. Just a whole Restart of the Computer.

Happens with macOS Mojave (10.14.6)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. For long documents containing more than 50K characters, GREP search fails to find all matching instances

Since updating to CC 14.0.2 on Windows, GREP search is no longer functioning properly. Not all instances of queries are found, or not found at all.
    I believe this is the case when working on documents created in an older version. In a newly created document it does work as it should.

82 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

30 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

5. Version 15.0.2 - Duplicate folder saving to desktop

After moving a packaged folder from the desktop, if I go back to edit the file it creates a duplicate folder to the desktop with only the contents of Document fonts (which does not include all fonts). Definitely a concern of saving over existing data.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Keyboard Shortcuts dont work often with InDesign

Using windows 10 - InDesign 2020

Keyboard shortcuts often will not work, forcing me to minimize or restart the program to get them to work again. Very annoying.

shortcuts that I am using for example( W to enter workspace mode, Ctrl-Z for undoing and even Ctrl-S to save)

Adobe, stop adding features until you fix the issues that are present. especially ones that have been around for years or months.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Adobe InDesign 2020 Super Slow

InDesign 2020 is super slow. I cannot have two files open at the same time anymore (a problem for me). The response time between mouse clicks is up to 10-30 sec! I have moved my files to an external drive (off of the network to eliminate VPN as the problem), still no improvement. It has crashed, and when prompted I have sent a report. My program is current 15.0.2.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Ligatures - a completely stupid *OPTION* Adobe shoves down our throats

So, ligatures is rearing it's ugly head again.

I simply cannot fathom why Adobe feels the need to shove this option down our throats.

I am working with documents I have used in the past 2-3 months and now, I would guess a recent update to InDesign, the ligatures option is on by default and is now reformatting my documents for me.

Great. Thanks Adobe. Thought you were a professional software development company, clearly not.

Can you not understand the MASSIVE IMPACT this has on my workflow, now having to check all pages of all documents I am sending out…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Hyperlink shows up grey in hyperlinks panel despite the URL NOT working

When using the hyperlinks panel, links will show up grey when the URL is non existent, they don't show up as red.
    The screen shot shows group 42 which is grey, when it should be a red error.
    the other shot is my indesign version--using CC

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Better Trackpad

Hey. This may sound weird but I would love for the trackpad on my windows laptop to work the way it does on my mac since they've come such a long way. I bet users would appreciate the effort from your side.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. escape key works intermittently

On macOS, escape key works intermittently to close any dialog box, such as placed image, export, or save as. For decades, I have been flying along using the escape key to dismiss dialog boxes—until these latest versions. SO frustrating. Please fix!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Indesign 15.1.2

Depuis hier, mes raccourcis clavier "dupliquer/déplacer" (fleche+option+cliquer glisser) ne fonctionne plus.
    De même, déplacer un objet ou le faire tourner avec la touche majuscule pour qu'ils se déplace selon un axe horizontal/vertical ou qu'il tourne selon 45° ne fonctionne plus :-(
    Je ne trouve pas pourquoi...
    J'ai la dernière version OS et Adobe..
    Merci pour votre aide
    Estelle

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Mouse cursor disappears after change text

Indesign 15.1, 15.1.1 Windows 10
    When I change text, mouse cursor disappears for few seconds (sometimes less, sometimes more). In this time I can't select anything.
    Please don't tell me: - reset preferences. I did it.
    Version 15.0.3 working OK.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Losing Preferences

Every time I re-open Indesign I lose my preferences.
    I lose my preferred measuring unit and language preferences, I lose my preferred workspace and lose all my saved template sizes.

I have tried to re-install Indesign from the Creative Cloud app.
    I have tried un-installing and re-installing absolutely every Creative Cloud application, including the CC app itself.
    I have tried forcing Indesign to forget preferences at startup.

No luck with any of those things.

InDesign 15.1.2
    Mac OS Catalina 10.15.3

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Cursor disappears – ID 15.1.2 and Mojave

Using the Rectangle Frame Tool, the cursor disappears seemingly randomly. Other tools seem to work fine.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Very Slow Performance - when opening two documents at the same time

Is there any solution to this bug:
    InDesign has very slow performance - when opening two documents at the same time.

Refer to the previous report "Very Slow Performance" that I submitted on June 19th 2020.

I still use Creative Cloud applications and my InDesign is v15.1.1 x64

Thanks!

Manuel Fernández

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. zoom scroll pan

Make it so Windows version of Adobe programs are capable of all gestures such as zoom and pan/scroll. This works perfectly fine on my MacBook, but on Windows I'm only able to chose if I can scroll/pan or zoom, but cannot zoom and pan. This makes working with the program extremely difficult and infuriating when it's such a simple feature that works in every other basic program.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Slow performance

Lately InDesign is nearly unusable. Almost every action from selecting objects, resizing objects, or moving objects comes with a really slow reaction time. Even when clicking between panels in the toolbar there is a delay of about half a second.

I have tried ruling out potential issues like updating graphic drivers and embedding all resources into the document. Nothing works it seems like the application is just unstable. Please advise, I love to work with indesign but this is overall a very bad user experience.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. layout moves when dragging pictures from windows explorer

When I have a grid of empty frames that I wish to populate with images that I am dragging from windows explorer, as I fill them the view of the layout shifts meaning I have to keep adjusting my view as items move outside the view. Everything is visible at the start so this auto view shift is really unhelpful and considering the volume of work this affects it would be a real time saver if it didn't happen.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base