Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. LENTEUR InDesign

Bonjour, cela fait 20 n'as que j'utilise InDesign mais depuis 2 ans avec la nouvelle version CC . C'est devenu un calvaire de travailler avec cette application.
    Faîtes quelque chose de sérieux avant que je me tourne vers autre chose... ça devient insupportable.

La réponse ne peut pas être désactiver des application tierce comme suit case et font explorer, ces applications sont indispensables avec Indesign.

Donnez moi une solution pérenne. merci

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Printing seems to change a document

When the only thing done is printing an InDesign document, the app acts if there were any changes made: when closing, it asks wheter to save the changes.
    This is very confusing, since it makes the user think something was changed by accident. Please make InDesign close the document without the save dialog, if nothing was changed.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. InD responding slowly

This isn't a "bug" per se, but InD has slowed to a crawl when using. Doesn't matter if I am trying to select text, change tools, or click on a menu item. It's been going very slow for a while now, doesn't matter the file. I have tried to trash preferences and reinstall InD, and nothing has changed it. Oh, and I just have major lag, not a spinning ball.

I am Win10, InD CC 14.0.2. The only plug-in I am running is Suitcase Fusion, and that is up to date as well.

Help please, as InDesign is unusable at…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Buttons losing functionality when updating Table of Contents

When you have a graphic or textbox and its converted to a button its lossing functionality when updating the Table of Contents.

Apply go to Destination to the button and pick the text anchor it jumps too, when you update the Table of Contents the drop down list jumps back to the top link in the list. So it loses functionality.

I found the same thing to happen when you choose show/hide buttons. It clears out what you have picked for showing what buttons you want on the page, it sets them to the normal icon.

This is very frustrating.…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Window size incorrect upon start, hidden menubar.

When starting InDesign, it as if it incorrectly reads my screensize and includes the space that is taken up by the OSX menubar. When InDesign is running, it's menubar is underneath the OSX menubar, and cannot be accessed without going into System Preferences/General and selecting "Automatically hide and show the menu bar" so that you can click on and move the InDesign menu bar.

This is terribly annoying, and seems to reoccur randomly.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Window size incorrect upon start, hidden menubar.

When starting InDesign, it as if it incorrectly reads my screensize and includes the space that is taken up by the OSX menubar. When InDesign is running, it's menubar is underneath the OSX menubar, and cannot be accessed without going into System Preferences/General and selecting "Automatically hide and show the menu bar" so that you can click on and move the InDesign menu bar.

This is terribly annoying, and seems to reoccur randomly.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. indesign cursor lag

My cursor is lagging while passing over portions of the Layers Panel specifically.
    I'm working on a Macbook Pro, with a BenQ GW2765 external monitor.
    The issue only happens while InDesign is on the external monitor, and it works fine while on the macbook pro.
    I've attached a video sample of the issue in action.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. New document dialog is extremly slow

If I want to create a new document the dialog news at least 10 sec to open. After that I can set my defaults but when I click the »create«-button it takes another 10 to 20 sec until the new document is created. The fans are blowing like ****.

InDesign 14.0.3

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. STILL stuck in hand tool InDesign

Stuck in hand tool... YES I read the existing thread... NO none of those fixes work. Adobe, PLEASE supply a REAL, PERMANENT fix.

Running 2015 MacBook Pro Retina 15-inch, Mojave 10.14 2.8 GHz

I have NO OTHER programs running. RESTARTING neither the app nor the computer helped. I can't perform ANY tasks in InDesign.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Still not fixed—GREP search fails to find all the matching instances in long documents

An Adobe Indesign CC 2019 (version 14.0.2) file has fewer than 15K characters. A return, followed by the text “ppp”, appears 27 times in the file. They can all be found using the “Text” version of find, searching for “^ppp”. However, using the “GREP” version of find, searching for “\rppp”, only the last one is found. (I am running MacOS Mojave, version 10.14.5 on a MaxBook Pro, retina, 15 inch, mid 2015).

I followed the purported fix found at https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/search-issue-in-long-documents.html but with no success.

Indesign files are invalid file types for attaching to this bug post; however I have a…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Still not fixed—GREP search fails to find all the matching instances in long documents

The attached Adobe Indesign CC 2019 (version 14.0.2) file has fewer than 15K characters. A return, followed by the text “ppp”, appears 27 times in the file. They can all be found using the “Text” version of find, searching for “^ppp”. However, using the “GREP” version of find, searching for “\rppp”, only the last one is found. (I am running MacOS Mojave, version 10.14.5 on a MaxBook Pro, retina, 15 inch, mid 2015).

I followed the purported fix found at https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/search-issue-in-long-documents.html but with no success.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Optical Kerning Indesign Plugin (missing)

CC 2019. Mac OSX 10.14.6

We have encountered a file corruption whereby we are now unable to open an indesign doc. We get the error message as shown in the screen shot however nobody in our office has this plugin. The operator who created the file cannot even open the file - we are lost as to what has happened to this file as nobody in the team has any additional plugins. We are running the latest version of CC.

Has anybody else come across this issue as we cannot even search online for such a plugin - does it…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Distorted Text and Graphics in high sierra

When opening a previously created file, I noticed small visual artifacts in the rendering of vector graphics in the file. As I zoomed in to inspect it, the artifacts began jumping all over the place, and as I zoomed in further, text on the page began presenting the same behavior.

Using InDesign 2017.1, Build 12.1.0.56 on a 2016 Macbook Pro (2.9 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB RAM), running macOS High Sierra 10.13.

193 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

200 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Closed: Fixed  ·  Sumit Garg responded

This is a macOS10.13 issue, specific for some Intel GPU cards. Apple has fixed(partially) this issue inside macOS10.13.4 released build.

Following are the workaround for resolving this issue.
    1) Update your mac machine to latest macOS10.13.4. Here, Apple has fixed this issue to some extent. You will face very less number of rendering issues.
    2) Disable GPU preview and set display performance as typical.

Once you have updated to macOS10.13.4 .You might still face some rendering issues. Since, Apple has not fixed this issue completely.
    Please switch off GPU rendering for these cases and report a separate post for tracking.

14. Text cursor disappears - Mojave and InDesign CC 13.1

After upgrading to Mac OSX Mojave (10.14), using InDesign CC 13.1 ME, the text cursor disappears. All other cursors appear as expected. This happens both with the standard Text tool, and the ME Text tool.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. InDesign totally unusable for large threaded tables after 2015 version

Using Windows 10 Pro, high end computer (Ryzen 1800X, 32Gb RAM, NVMe SSD, 1080Ti)

Create an Excel file with 8000 rows of random data, place into InDesign with as unformatted table.

Use shift-click to create pages and thread the table to each page.

Try to scroll without InDesign freezing for 30 seconds. I can't.

I have tried:
    - Cleaning preferences / logging on different username to have a fresh profile
    - Using a different computer
    - Turning off preflight
    - Using fast display performance
    - Change the composer away from world ready, trying single line instead of paragraph
    - Turned…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Closed: Fixed  ·  1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Workspace panels not reappearing when exiting and reentering application

I've noticed lately that my workspace panels are sporadically disappearing when I have a document open and I click out of the document on macOS Mojave and reenter the document shortly after. If I click 'tab', the workspace doesn't reappear. The only way to make it come back is to go to Window/Workspace/Reset [Name for workspace]. Application frame is disabled.

Currently on macOS 10.14.6
    InDesign CC 2019 14.0.2

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. tabulator

When I have a text on a path and I want to set a tabulator it is not possible to insert the number for the position correctly. There is only one cypher you can insert, die second one will not work. On top, there is the behaviour, sometimes when you insert the number, it will insert the text into the text on the path.

Fakt is, ist is not possible to work with that.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Can't scroll Pages Window when Export dialogue box is up

Can't scroll Pages Window when Export dialogue box is up

When exporting certain pages from a large document it was handy being able to scroll through the pages window while the export dialogue was open. This was possible on pre CC indesign copies.
    Issue apparent using OSX Mojave 10.14.5 and Indesign CC 14.0.2

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. ID can't import multiple PDF (with multiple pages) into frames placed in master

InDesign 14.0.2 french
    Windows 10 x64 Pro 1903 - 18362.239

I need to import 148 PDF with 5 pages into each files.
    I prepare 5 frames into the A-master.
    CTRL+D from the 1st page to select my files.
    For the demo, I use 3 files.

Only the second PDF is imported.
    All other PDF are visible in Links panel, but with no pages imported.

If I do an the same import without frames on the A-master, I am able to place 5 pages per ID page. But it's longer, without the same scale, etc.

Please check my video attached.
    I…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. No Multi-Processor support for InDesign?

InDesign were and still is very slow. Now I work on an iMac 2017 with i7 processor with 4.2 GHz and Radeon Pro 580 8GB graphics with InDesign 14.0.1. The i7 is a Quadcore CPU but if InDesign works, it still works on just 1 Core! So InDesign ist still slow and the Beachball appears very often. Photoshop instead uses all the performance of this great machine.

Isn't it possible, to use all CPU-cores and maybe additionally the GPU with InDesign, to increase the performance?

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base