Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Spanning columns crashes program

Working with span columns with large documents creates a bug invested document. I'm working on a document now that crashes everytime I make any change to it. So much for professional program.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,
    Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 15.0

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 15.0
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

-InDesign Team

2. Crash when exporting

Every time I try to export my document to a PDF InDesign 12.1 crashes. I've quit and restarted the software, and restarted my computer. I have no pending updates. I'm not sure why the program crashes every time I try to export. I've tried to go around the issue by packaging the file, exporting directly to PDF, or getting a PDF from a "print" operation, but nothing seems to work. It crashes every time.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released InDesign 2020.0.1 with a lot of stability fixes. We recommend you to upgrade to latest version (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Also, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com:
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
    • Video recording of the crash?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you provide the document(s)/asset(s) to us? Please package the entire document (To package the document, choose File → Package…)

Adobe InDesign Team

3. Indesign crashes after copying text

Indesign crashes immediately after copying text. It seems that this only happens with formatted text. If I separate the text box from the paragraph format, I can copy the text. But that is very time consuming and annoying. When I open Indesign again, it crashes immediately. And when I finally managed to open the file again and click on "Paragraph format" in the sidebar, Indesign freezes. The bug has occurred since the last 2-3 versions of Indesign and I hope that the bug will be fixed with every new one. Unfortunately, this did not happen.

Indesign 15.0.2
    MacOS: 10.15.3

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. crash Indesign CC 2020 – Mojave 10.14.6

Hi,

I have the following situation.

Still working on Mojave 10.14.6, but using Indesign 2020.
    (iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017, iMac18.3, Intel Core i5, 16GB 2400MHz DDR4)
    As a precaution, I did not want to upgrade to Catalina 15.00 until I completed my current work.

Description of the Indesign file:
    Folder, 20 pages, complex data from Photoshop and Illustrator, various layers in Indesign.

Situation in Indesign 2020:
    unexpected, frequent crashes, especially when copying and pasting elements, when scrolling quickly within pages or when creating PDFs.

Situation in Indesign 2019:
    I then created an idml-file and opened it in Indesign 2019.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released InDesign 2020.0.1 with a lot of stability fixes. We recommend you to upgrade to latest version (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

• Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you provide the document(s)/asset(s) to us? Please package the entire document (To package the document, choose File → Package…)

Adobe InDesign Team

6. Indd file crashes when editing, including it into a book or during the book synchronization

After the Indesign update to the 2020 version I started to have problems with a single file: the program crashes every time I try to edit this file (in particular when I try to modify the content in the middle of the file, at the end of a series of tables), to include it in a book, or to synchronize a book which includes this corrupted file.
    I attach the corrupted file, so you can check
    Is there a solutions?
    Thank you

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Fix for this issue is now available in the latest update of InDesign 2020 – that is, InDesign 15.0.1

In the Creative Cloud Desktop application, click on the Updates section on the left. You should be able to see the Update available for InDesign. Please update your InDesign application to this version to try out the fix.

Let us know in the comments section if you face any problem with the updation process.

Adobe InDesign Team

7. Export PDF crashes InDesign

Tried to export a PDF (smallest file size) with links & bookmarks active. Once I click the Export button, InDesign crashes.

InDesign 14.0.3 running on Catalina OS.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Adobe InDesign CC2017 not working on MacOS Catalina

Adobe indesign CC 2017 ne fonstionne pas du tout sur mon Mac depuis que la mise à jour MacOS CAtalina a été installé.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

MacOS 10.15(Catalina) is not supported platform for Adobe InDesign CC2017.
    In macOS10.15 Apple enforced strict 64bit rules . Older apps having 32bit components won’t be able to run on Catalina.
    InDesign CC 2017 also has few 32bit components hence, it will not run properly on macOS10.15.

Recommendation:
    Either move back to macOS10.14 OR update Adobe InDesign to latest version that is complete 64bit.

9. InDesign 14.0.1 is crashing hourly

For three days my InDesign 14.0.1 has been crashing almost exactly hourly. It just freezes and I get the spinning beachball. Only recourse is to re-start my Mac. I've uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times. Prior to this, I had downloaded Lightroom... I thought this might have been the initial cause. I uninstalled Lightroom and all my Adobe products. Any ideas?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

10. CC 2019 Repeated Crashing when switching to the text tool from the move tool

Experiencing repeated crashes when selecting the Text tool. Does not happen every time, but has happened at least 5 times in the last 10 minutes. Windows 10, newest version of CC2019.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

We have fixed a number of crashes with InDesign’s latest Nov’18 update.
    Please download the latest InDesign version (InDesign CC 14.0.1) for the fix.

List of crashes and other issues that have been fixed with the update can be found at the below provided link:

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud application, click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Regards,
    InDesign Team

11. adobe freezing and getting beach ball spin constantly

Everytime I upload, save, place etc I get beach ball after beach ball...

It's not my computer...I have the 10k Imac Pro...

It mainly started when I installed OS Mojave. Adress this asap please as it is affecting work flow.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

12. crash on create merged document

Indesign 2018 cc on mac os 10.12.6, crash on "create merged document" in data merge menu if more than approx 100 records in data file . "export to pdf" works. We have some files that need editing after merge so need this to work. Worked before 2018 update on same files that are causing crashes now. Seems to crash at point its going from a temp file to creating the finished file after the merge has happened. Tries unsucessfully to "recover" a temp file on startup after crash. Is entirely repeatable. System and user usage together never goes above 60%…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,
    Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 15.0

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 15.0

-InDesign Team

13. pasting crash

InDesign CC 13.1 — EVERY time I copy text from another program (PDF, email, Word, ANYTHING other text within InDesign), InDesign crashes immediately upon pasting into a text box within InDesign. No spinning beach ball. Just shuts down and closes. This is untenable and needs to be fixed. Productivity and my job depend on it. Can anyone please help solve this issue? Thank you.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

14. Can not paste text in inDesign

I am running InDesign CC 13.1 on osMac High Sierra, and am unable to COPY text from any web browser (Chrome, Safari, Firefox) and PASTE it into inDesign. It crashes every time. I AM able to paste the text into a Pages document and THEN copy/paste into inDesign — but all character information is gone (formatting, alignment, spacing, etc.)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Adobe InDesign Team

15. InDesign crashing when exporting book to pdf

Hi there. I just got updated InDesign through CC and am in the process of updating old files/documents created in CS5.5. Several of them are InDesign books including 6-10 separate documents (there are a couple books which share similar documents). I'm able to export the individual documents as a pdf just fine, but when I try to export the book it crashes. I've tried recreating the book with the same documents, but no luck. Other ideas?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Adobe InDesign Team

16. InCopy Assignments Updates Crash InDesign

I have an InDesign book file housing several InDesign files that are news page documents with InCopy assignments. When I open the .indd files from the .indb file and a story has been updated (update links dialogue) when I click on "update links" InDesign crashes. I've clicked "don't update links" and it doesn't crash. However, when I go to the page that needs updating and I click update in the assignments panel, InDesign crashes.
    This all happened before and after I reset my InDesign preferences.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Cannot open file due to deleting hyperlinks in Indesign CC 2018

I was deleting the list of hyperlinks in my file and it crashed. So I kept saving the file after every hyperlink I had deleted so that I can find out which one was the root problem, but now I cannot even open the file as it just crashes immediately it opens. At this moment in time I have to do the whole job again.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Adobe InDesign Team

18. Indesign crashing on startup 2017 / 2018 (cloud) - Please Help!!

InDesign crashes the computer on startup. Not just the program, but restarts the PC. Sometimes it crashes with blue screen sometimes with plain and simple restart without any messages. Program does not even open.

I'm running Intel I7 8720X, Nvidia 1080 TI, 11 GB, 32 GB ram DDR4, 512 SSD + 3 TB Storage, Windows 10 Home - all updates.

I'm not sure what is going on. I tried to reinstall it, several times, after I uninstall removing preferences / settings, formatted the drives to kill any existing settings, still same issues. Photoshop, Illustrator and Adobe Acrobat work fine, not…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Adobe InDesign Team

19. Editing font in table and it crashes

Selecting multiple cells and changing font, Indesign keeps crashing

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Adobe InDesign Team

20. InDesign 2018 still crashing when updating in links panel after 13.0.1 update

InDesign 2018 still crashing when updating in links panel after 13.0.1 update. Running Mac OS High Sierra. It's one thing after another since updating to 2018.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base