Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

517 results found

1. Crash when "fitting frame to content" on an inline-anchored textframe (inline or above line)

Hi,
    Last week i noticed that InDesign crashes when I fit the textframe to its contents, when that textframe is anchored as "text" inside another textframe (anchor-option: incline or above line) when it is not separated by paragraph breaks or whitespaces.

I have a file that has one textframe for the main column. In it I placed several smaller textframes with more than one column as textelements.
    I didn't separate them by a space or linebreak. When fitting one of the smaller frames to its content by double clicking the lower reference point in the middle to get rid of…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. InDesign crashes when changing paragraph style with Typefi Designer 8.7.3 (14)

Every time I change the paragraph style on my document, indesign crashes.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released InDesign 2023(v18.2.1.455) with a lot of stability fixes. We recommend you upgrade to the latest version (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.

As per the information provided by other customers, the issue might be related to Typefi Designer 8.7.3 (14).

Adobe InDesign Team

3. InDesign crashes on launch in "PlugPlugOwl.dll"

InDesign 2019 doesn't open after the first loading box on startup. I downloaded 2018, 2017 and 2015. 2015 is the only one that works at the moment but the others have the same issue.
    My computers processor is Intel Pentium 1.5 GHz
    I've attached the crash report.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Edit: This thread addresses the specific case of crash on launch due to issues with PlugPlugOwl.dll.
    If you are facing crash on launch please reach out to us on sharewithid@adobe.com
    Closing this thread.

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

4. adobe freezing and getting beach ball spin constantly

Everytime I upload, save, place etc I get beach ball after beach ball...

It's not my computer...I have the 10k Imac Pro...

It mainly started when I installed OS Mojave. Adress this asap please as it is affecting work flow.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

5. InDesign crashes while closing the application

Nine times out of ten, Mac generates a crash report when closing InDesign CC 2019. InDesign closes fine, but Mac believes it crashed.

Mac Mojave 10.14

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Crashes when Placing Docs from Microsoft Word

Since updating to CC2019 I am having constant crashes when placing from Microsoft Word.
    The same documents were not an issue last week when using CC2018, both the same InDesign doc and word doc worked perfectly together.
    Any suggestions as to how I can fix this critical issue - I'm on a business critical deadline, failing to meet it quite literally means the closure of our business.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    FIXED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    This issue is now fixed in the latest update (Id 14.0.1) of InDesign CC.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

Once the update button is shown against InDesign CC, click on the button to update your InDesign to Id 14.0.1 for the fix of the issue.
    Do let us know in the comments, if you face any problem with the new update.

List of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,
    InDesign Team

7. InDesign crashes on Hyperlink panel open

Latest version of InDesign 2018.

Process video:
    https://cl.ly/0y1V3z190L0O

I'm trying to add hyperlink to a text but it leads to a program crash. This happens only for 3 close lines of text in a one single file. The file has been sent to mr. Sushil's email.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Can not paste text in inDesign

I am running InDesign CC 13.1 on osMac High Sierra, and am unable to COPY text from any web browser (Chrome, Safari, Firefox) and PASTE it into inDesign. It crashes every time. I AM able to paste the text into a Pages document and THEN copy/paste into inDesign — but all character information is gone (formatting, alignment, spacing, etc.)

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

9. InDesign crashing when exporting book to pdf

Hi there. I just got updated InDesign through CC and am in the process of updating old files/documents created in CS5.5. Several of them are InDesign books including 6-10 separate documents (there are a couple books which share similar documents). I'm able to export the individual documents as a pdf just fine, but when I try to export the book it crashes. I've tried recreating the book with the same documents, but no luck. Other ideas?

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

10. InDesign crashes when restoring a spread/page that contains a selected table with an xml tag

Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server:
    InDesign 2023/2024

Steps to reproduce the issues

1. Create a 2nd page
    2. Create a table on that page
    3. Tag the table with an xml tag
    4. Select the table
    5. Delete that spread/page
    6. Try to undo that delete spread/page

Expected result

InDesign does not crash

Actual result

InDesign crashes

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. 18.5 crash on exit

Ever since updating to 18.5, InDesign hangs on exit (by clicking the x in the top right or exit from menu) and I have to force quit the process in task manager.

I have gone back to 18.4 until this issue is resolved.

Windows 11 22h2 22621.2283

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. InDesign won't quit

Since the update to v18.5, InDesign won't quit after working on a document. If I simply just open the program and won't open or create any document, it closes perfectly. But once a document is created or opened, the program itself won't quit afterwards and just sits/hangs there requiring force quit.

Resetting the preferences and dumping the caches didn't help either. Running Win 11 Pro x64. Nothing else is changed except ID got updated yesterday to v18.5.

I don't want to uninstall and reinstall because it's not a 'major' issue - just posting here so it's known and hopefully they…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Balance Column Freezes InDesign (MAC/PC) and InDesign Server

InDesign Server 18.1, InDesign (18.2.1, 18.3 on Mac and PC) (also did this in 17 but was hoping better in 18)

(Zip and indd files are not being allowed to upload). Please contact me for the file.

System freezes when selecting the frame on the last page and balancing the column.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. InDesign crashes when formatting footnotes

Formatting footnotes using InDesign 2022 v 17.1 causes severe lag and eventually the program seizes up and must be ended through task manager. Full details here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/indesign-crashes-when-formatting-footnotes/m-p/12712546#M463355

The resolution to the issue was to roll back InDesign to 16.4.1, no such problems with that.

Sample files that caused the crash are here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kzk0knh3vlghpc3/AADllwOGMc6aOyZ4Be-A-i30a?dl=0

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Adobe InDesign Server 2021 has stopped working

With some documents to be (automatically) processed by Indesign Server, InDesign Server stops working - and we get the Windows message "Adobe InDesign Server 2021 has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Please close the program".

As after a while our automatic system is picking up the same (possibly questionable) document again, we end up with a system where all InDesign Server instances are hanging, and no further processing happens (until a human being goes to the server and clicks the messages away).

The issue here is not that the possibly questionable document cannot be…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. voice dictation

Macos Big sur 11.1: when using voice dictation in combination with Indesign, in a new simple document, nothing else open in ID: when starting voice dictation , text cursor blinking and already inputting text, after a few words ID crashes. Tried it 3 times, ID crashes each time.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. The character sequence -xx'-x crashes InDesign 2021 (v 16.0) on Mac

The sequence of letters -xx'-x crashes InDesign 2021 (v 16.0) as soon as you write this sequence yourself, copy or mark a letter from it (e.g. to change the text size) or do a search for this string, in a normal text field.

To reproduce the issue, simply write -xx'-x into a text field in InDesign 2021 or copy it into the text field. The X'x can be replaced here by other normal letters, upper and lower case doesn't seem to matter. The crash seems not to happen if the last X is a special character like ";" or "!…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. InDesign 2021 crashes when opening some panels

For example, I select some text and click to open the Hyperlinks panel. ID crashes straight away.

Or I select an anchored object, right click to select Anchored Object > Options. The panel comes up with 'Inline' selected and then I click on 'Above Line'. It crashes straight away.

I've had a similar problem working in tables, when I right click to delete a row, it crashes immediately.

I've had to go back to 2020 to be able to work on some of my documents.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html )

Also, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
    • Video recording of the crash?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you provide the document(s)/asset(s) to us? Please package the entire document (To package the document, choose File → Package…)

Adobe InDesign Team

19. InDesign 2020: crashing, undo doesn't work, missing fonts, text wrap is broken, so many bugs

The Undo bug is back. I tried to undo some text (in a table) and it reverted the document back to the previous save and then crashed.

On re-opening, ID complains that it can't find my installed fonts that I used in the document. They show up in the document, it just complains that they are not there. These are fonts that I bought and installed, so I know they are available.

I have also been having problems with text wrap not working half the time. I set a box (I've tried both image and text boxes) to text wrap…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Resolved For User  ·  amaarora responded

As per the customer, the issue got resolved by uninstall and re installation of InDesign 2020.

20. InDesign crashes when adding Cross-Reference

Adobe InDesign CC 14.0 (Macintosh)

I click Window > Type & Tables > Cross-References. With my cursor in a text box, I click "Create new cross-reference". Sometimes it crashes here; sometimes it opens the dialog.

When it opens the dialog, there is nothing in the Cross-Reference Format dropdown. I can click the pencil and open the Cross-Reference Format dialog and create a new format, but when I click OK the whole program crashes and closes out.

I am not experiencing freezing where I need to force-close -- it closes out completely, immediately.

I created a blank doc and am able…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received an email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding: Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base