Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6428 results found

1. Pages

Adobe Indesign 14.0.1

Last row of Pages Panel doesn't display the page numbers. I'm unable to scroll lower either as the scroll bar is at limit.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. error message about activating fonts constantly flicking up, then disappearing.

the error message is constantly just flicking on screen and disappearing. it even pops up when using other programs in front of in design.

could fonts just go into memory once you open a doc and there is plenty of memory left. to avoid constant font issues. indesign is always telling me fonts that are installed have gone missing, then a few seconds later they come back.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Font Issues

InDesign 2019 doesn't recognize Raleway and Ultra Stint fonts when opening documents created in InDesign 2018. Fonts are loaded and active under the Creative Cloud, system has been started/restarted.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Bad PDF Export to x1a with indd placed in InDesign

• problem in InDesign CC2019 / macOS 10.14.3, 10.13.9
    • no problem with previous InDesign versions (on 10.13 systems)

Sometimes i use InDesign document (page) placed into another InDesign document (because more work with some pages and reuse them in more documents). If these placed Indd documents contains RGB images with transparencies (like transparency in PSD files, or transparency effects applied to flat images in InDesign), these images are exported very bad, highly desaturated. But only when export to PDF X1a (required by our printer, i use profile "ISO Coated v2 300% (ECI)" in all indd). No problem when exporting to higher…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    Please can you share the sample InDesign files that can help me reproduce the issue at amaarora@adobe.com?
    Please do add a small video illustrating the bug

Thanks,
    Aman

5. Indesign 2019 placing my pictures reversed/ inverted; had to use an older version

Indesign 2019 placing my pictures reversed/ inverted; had to use an older version for multi page PDF placement to work properly.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Shortkeys causing program to freeze

Hi, I'm using the latest Indesign CC on my windows 10 laptop
    Indesign keeping freezing and doesn't recover when i use any shortcut keys.
    E.g ctrl E to export a PDF will crash the program, so i need to go the long way of file - export etc

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

7. Indesign Beach Balling on Mac

We have a 2017 iMac that is running High Sierra 10.13.6 with InDesign 14.0.1 and with working on a US Letter sized document with a text box with a single line of type, and one placed image, we get beach balling.

First open the document, can do anything we want (from typing new text or moving the picture box on the page, to even selecting a menu item) for about 30 seconds to a minute. After that, the beach balling starts. Then it seems to freeze for about 30 seconds to a minute, and then we can do ONE thing…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Profiles conversion doesn't work anymore with InDesign export PDF

Hello,
    Sorry for my approximative english.
    It's no longer possible to do high-res PDF export from InDesign because it doesn't convert color profiles correctly (it seems InDesign consider there is no profil on imported documents). Same conversions works fine on Photoshop.
    We use InDesign CC 14.0.1 and joboptions we made (PDF/X-1a:2001 - Acrobat 4 (PDF 1.3) - convert to destination : ISO Coated V2) with Bridge coordination.
    We're a big french comic books publisher and it's a very important problem for our workflow.
    It's like a bug, I try some things I found on forums, but nothing works (delete all…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Assets renamed in web view of CC Libraries don't retain name when imported into document

I've been creating some CC Libraries with quite a few logo assets and have found it easier to do the renaming of the files in web view because it lets me copy/paste a file name, whereas the CC Libraries panel does not.

I've just come across the issue that even though the names appear to have synced when I view the files in the Libraries panel, when I drag/drop or right-click > Place a file into my actual document, the name disappears from the asset in the Links panel. It defaults to whatever it was when i created the asset…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Allow for updating text thread when rearranging pages.

Allow for a more efficient way to rearrange pages and page content once page layouts have been created. Currently, rearranging pages breaks numbered lists and moving text within story editor breaks the visual layout.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Copying a page: Wrong position

When making a copy of a page, for example a copy of page 1, the new copy lands on a wrong position in the page palette.
    1. Click and drag page 1 in the page palette while holding the alt-key. Then move mouse to the right, until a line appears between pages 1 and 2.
    2. Releasing the mouse button should result in a copy of page 1 between the original page 1 and 2. All subsequent page numbers should increase by 1.
    3. Instead of landing on position 2, the copied page appears on position 3.

This issue has…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released InDesign CC2019.0.2 with lot of bug fixes. If you are not on 14.0.2.324 then I would recommend you to upgrade to latest version as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please provide more information to santalwa@adobe.com
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when you encountered the issue in InDesign?
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If Yes, Can you please provide the document(s)/asset(s)?
    • Does Trashing preference and cache, please create a backup of Preference and cache before trashing them, help to resolve the issue?

Adobe InDesign Team

12. ^t

In InDesign, when I use the ^t shortcut to get the type control panel, I lock up and then have to go to Task Manager and close InDesign. (InDesign 14.0.1 x64, Windows 10 Enterprise Version: 1803)

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

13. numbered list

When a long numbered list extends to the next page, the first list on the next page will indent outside of the margins. To correct, I just reapply the style. It happens after closing and opening the document several times without me even working on that page. I'm having to check the exported PDF every time when I do an update to the file.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Export options locked

Hi., When customising the Workspace [ i.e. colouring menus and adding Panels to the Panel Dock ] on an Apple Mac, and then subsequently using File->Export, the Drop down list of Export formats are locked out [ i.e. I cannot go from PDF Print to any other format ]. To resolve I have to go back to one of the default Workspaces such as Essentials etc, and then the Dropdown can be accessed. This happens in all recent releases of InDesign including 2019. I imagine the root cause of the fault is more the colouring of the menus rather than…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Can't import RAW fiels anymore

Usually I drag and drop from Lr to Id and it works well. From jpeg, dng, tiff, psd, raw files (CR2 Canon). But today it is not working.

Actual result below:

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Master pages can't be applied/loaded

Whenever I try to load/apply new master pages to a document, InDesign crashes. I have already rebootet and the same problem still appears. Also tried it on a coworkers computer and the problem is still there.
    New master pages can't be loaded/applied.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

17. Major lagging/hanging when typing text and selecting objects

InDesign 14.0.1; Windows 10

I was experiencing some major lag when typing text, up to 30 seconds. Even when text started to appear, words would appear only one letter at a time with significant delay in between. The problem then expanded to selecting and moving objects around on a page. InDesign for me has been unusable for the past few hours (Jan. 25, 2019 from 1:30 - 4:30pm EST). I even tried reverting back to version 14.0 and had no luck. Rebooted several times. I then went into my system restore and saw that earlier today a Microsoft Visual C++…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. keeping cross references when updating linked data

In my file (IDCC2019), the technical data of the tables are imported from an Excel database. The index generated from these data works perfectly. But when updating these links, cross-references are removed. How to keep cross references when updating linked data?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. InDesign exporting wrong PDF size

Jan. 18, 2019

My document settings in InDesign are 3.66x8.5.
    When I export to any type of PDF it shows as being 4x9
    No bleed, no slug. I know sometimes the numbers are rounded up when you look at the size on a PDF but this is odd.

When I do a test with a document size of 3x8 I'm still getting a 4x9.
    Why?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Oswald Book Font Installed on Windows but doesn't work in InDesign

I am using InDesign CC 14.0 for Windows 7 and I am having trouble with a font called Oswald. I have 3 fonts from the family Oswald installed on my computer (book, light, and bold). However, Oswald Book does not work in InDesign. It works in Illustrator and Microsoft Word so it appears to be an InDesign issue rather than a font installation issue.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base