Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6481 results found

1. scrubby zoom will not turn off

Scrubby/Animated zoom suddenly appeared when I opened Indesign today and I cannot not turn off. The option is no longer in the Preferences (I searched all categories). I have installed no updates recently.

version 14.0.1
    Mac OS 10.13.6

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Can't import RAW fiels anymore

Usually I drag and drop from Lr to Id and it works well. From jpeg, dng, tiff, psd, raw files (CR2 Canon). But today it is not working.

Actual result below:

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Overall performance poor

The program takes 3-4 minutes trying to launch, then quits, generating an unexpected error report. It does this 2 times again before it will open the 3rd time. Making it nearly 12 minutes before it is actually usable.

Fonts: when a text box or text is clicked or selected, without exception, there is a long delay and spinning ball prior to being able to do anything with the text. Suitcase Fuision 19.1.1 is the font management program and they claim the problem is with Adobe.

Paste in place: sporadically the "paste in place", doesn't work properly–both through key command and…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. InDesign Crash with Outlook

I am working on a Mac (Mojave - 10.14) using InDesign CC 2019. The bug is that when I open InDesign with Outlook already open, InDesign all of a sudden begins eating up memory, at about 1 GB every few seconds, until it reaches about 130 GB then force-quits not only InDesign but Outlook. However, after rebooting, if I first launch InDesign THEN Outlook, this doesn't happen.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

5. Data Merge Preview drops Paragraph Styles with Nested Styles

Suppose you want to merge data, and format it with nested styles. For example, you want one word to be red, and the other blue. If the cell is empty, remove the line.

This works as intended until you 'Preview' the document. When you view a record without data, then move to the next, the paragraph style is lost entirely!

For example, I use this technique to merge many restaurant menus for many locations. A food item is regular up to a '$'. Then the price is italicized. Some locations don't offer this item. If I were to Preview one…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. InDesign CC 2019: zoom with cmd-space-draw fail

The quick zoom function by cmd space mouse draw does not work anymore. Serious mistake!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. pdf

Since the last update Indesign export to pdf in all resolutions don't compact the files down. They are huge. Everything up to the last update pdfs even if high resolution would size way down. Now it is almost like it doesn't do anything. Need this fixed. It is almost like the coders for Illustrator went over to Indesign to put in their bad pdf export routine. Illustrator has never compacted pdfs well ever!. I demand that the pdf export get fixed pronto and put back the way it was. Sending pdfs by email is now useless. I shouldn't have to…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Properties panel - linked panels opening across extended windows

Win 10 / InDesign cc2019

I have an issue where the underlined panel options don't respect the boundaries of my extended screen configuration causing the popped out palette to split across windows.

In illustrator these linked palettes always appear within the confines of a maximised application window's boundary.

P.S. I hope it is your intention to continue to develop the properties panel so that more of the options appear naturally within its space. Similar to the way the Transform, Character, Paragraph and Align sections do via the 'more options' ellipses.

I've pointed out your approach on the Illustrator forum in…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI/UI Scaling  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. When attempting to 'crop' the INDD window size from bottom rt-corner, the the document's image

When attempting to taper the (Mac) INDD window's size from bottom rt-corner, the document layout ALWAYS "runs away" from the user (to the upper left direction)… making it impossible to get the doc's layout centred within the window, first time. This is UNLIKE any other Mac application… and is a source of constant frustration!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Problema ao atualizar arquivos do Illustrator / Problem updating files from Illustrator

Boa noite. Há dois dias que começou. Depois da última atualização. Quando já tenho uma imagem vetorizado no InDesign, vou reedita-la no Illustrator (por exemplo mudança de cor ou texto) quando atualizo no InDesign ela muda de posição e de tamanho entro da caixa, quebrando todos ajustes de layout.

Google Translator:
    Good night. Two days have begun. After the last update. You are not illustrated in InDesign, that is, in Illustrator (Korean) when you are not in InDesign and change position and size in the box, breaking all layout adjustments.

InDesign 2019 (14.0.1)
    Illutrator 2019 (23.0.2)
    MacOS High Sierre 10.13.6…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Keyboard Shortcut Ctrl+Shft+G (Ungroup) acts strange

In Windows 10, Indesign 14.0:

Ungrouping with keyboard shortcut only works when I:

1. hold Ctrl+LeftShift,

2. then touch RightShift (while holding Ctrl+LeftShift) (????)

3. press G (while still holding Ctrl+LeftShift)

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Can't delete InDesign color swatch

Documents inherit a swatch from a picked-up file and the swatch can not be deleted.

1) This problem has existed for us since at least InDesign CS4 and persists through the current CC 2018 build (13.1).

2) In the attached file, "Select All Unused" in the Swatches panel. There is no content at all in the file. All objects have been deleted, as have all text and object styles. Try to delete the unused process color swatch, "C=80 M=76 Y=70 K=73."

3) We expect the unused swatch to be deleted.

4) Trash can icon in Swatches panel is grayed out…

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Update:
    -————-
    Following upon the comments from the users who had mentioned that the issue is still not resolved for them, we contacted them on email to gather more information.
    It was found that the issue is no longer reproducible for them, hence we are closing the thread.
    If you still have any concern over the fix of the issue, you may directly reach out to sakverma@adobe.com

===========

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know…

13. Major lagging/hanging when typing text and selecting objects

InDesign 14.0.1; Windows 10

I was experiencing some major lag when typing text, up to 30 seconds. Even when text started to appear, words would appear only one letter at a time with significant delay in between. The problem then expanded to selecting and moving objects around on a page. InDesign for me has been unusable for the past few hours (Jan. 25, 2019 from 1:30 - 4:30pm EST). I even tried reverting back to version 14.0 and had no luck. Rebooted several times. I then went into my system restore and saw that earlier today a Microsoft Visual C++…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. HTML Export Endnotes with Hyperlinks

Version: InDesign CC 2018 - 13.1

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Use the endnote feature and in one of the endnotes (preferably after the first one), add a hyperlink.

2. Export the InDesign document to HTML

Expected Result: All endnote references are hyperlinked and the numbers for each endnote are backlinked back to the reference.

Actual Result: Endnote number is missing for all endnotes after the hyperlink that was added to the endnote and no linking occurs after the manual hyperlink.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    FIXED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

15. Cursor size in working area is huge InDesign CC 2018 Win

The ID cursor (black) when over the workspace is huge. It is normal size when hovering over the tool bars (white), but when you move over the workspace it is supersized. This occurs when working on an external monitor, but is scaled appropriately on HD Laptop Screen.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Changing the cursor to text AND changes it self to cursor

Always when i'm going change to text but it changes it self back to cursor. really annoying bug. everytime when i do this.

My indesign is version 14.0.1

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI/UI Scaling  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. keeping cross references when updating linked data

In my file (IDCC2019), the technical data of the tables are imported from an Excel database. The index generated from these data works perfectly. But when updating these links, cross-references are removed. How to keep cross references when updating linked data?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. eyedropper

The eyedropper suddenly stopped working correctly. See attached images to show which eyedropper options are selected and what the result is. The color should be a flat blue and instead a gradient effect is being applied. This is happening repeatedly throughout many charts within this document. I'm in InDesign CC and it's up to date. I just reset all of my preferences manually as the shortcut keys have never worked for me and my pages panel stopped working.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Help > About

Going to Help > About to see what version I'm using causes InDesign to freeze and crash.
    InDesign 14.0 x 64
    Windows 10 Pro 1803 OS build 17134.345

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

20. PDF Export & Text field crash

I have also downloaded Indesign CC 2019 and encounter a lot of bugs. I can't select a color profile for the PDF export and every time I click into a text field while layouting the complete program hangs. Unfortunately, you can't work with the program like this at the moment!

Solution for the problem with the PDF export: Preset PDF export profiles and then select them. So you can bypass the problem a bit. For the second problem I can't find a solution and am very annoyed, because there are also the same probleme with the other programs of CC

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base