Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

485 results found

1. InDesign 2017 file on file server with High Sierra

We have Panzura file servers here and anytime we try to open an InDesign file with CC 2017 it completely crashes any mac that tries to open it, immediate kernel panic with both InDesign and Finder being the cause. So we tried to copy the files to the desktop and open them from there, no dice.

How on earth did Adobe not catch this bug? You guys had 3 months access at least to the dev prereleases like the rest of the software vendors, this is pretty unacceptable.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

2. Cell Style override crash

Crashes when applying and overriding a cell style to a table that has previous overrides. Tried it multiple times on multiple files, all with the same crash result.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

3. Data Merge causes crash/lock-up when displaying panels on second screen

When displaying my panels on a second monitor using InDesign and then trying to begin a data merge the application crashes and becomes unresponsive.

If I change the layout of the panels to one screen (the default layout) it works fine.

I've uninstalled InDesign and reinstalled, also deleting my preferences folders/files.

I can select the data source and insert one field, but then clicking on anything else after the first field has been inserted causes the application to stop responding.

I've attached a screenshot of the panels on the second screen for your reference - there are no panels on…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

4. Display Performance view high quality crashing

When viewing an indesign document when the Display performance is set to "High Quality"indesign often crashes. Even when it's just a single object.

MacBook Pro (M1)
    macOS 12.2.1
    indesign 2023 (18.0)
    x2 ASUS PB279 (3840x2160)

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. InDesign 2023 crashes when opening older InDesign files

Can't open older version files in InDesign 2023. Using Microsoft Office 2016 64-Bit Edition (yes, I know we're really behind in our operating system). It looks like it's going to open the file, and then it crashes InDesign. Have tried restarting, re-installing InDesign and no go. Have even tried saving the old file as an IDML mark-up file and it still won't open.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. InDesign 2023 crashing when using links panel

Though it rights itself occasionally, this happens only when I use the links panel. I am having to cmd-D to import, but that is adding lots of time I don't have.

Restarts of both InDesign and my latest model MacBook Pro are not fixing this.

What can I do?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Crash on Importing Large Word File

InDesign v17.4
    macOS 12.6 Monterey
    Mac Studio (2022)

InDesign is crashing on importing a large (859-page) Word .docx file. The document begins to import for a couple of seconds but then InDesign crashes and there is a 'may be damaged' warning on reopening the file.

Attempts were made to import into a completely new document and multiple variations of import settings have been tried, as has resaving, duplicating and deleting comments and saving the Word file. Smart Text Reflow has also been turned off but this hasn't helped.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. story editor crash

Anytime I use the Story Editor there is a high probability Adobe Indesign crashes. I am using the latest version of Adobe Indesign on an Apple Macbook Pro 2017 on OSX 12.5.1 Monterey. This problem seems to happen to others as seen in this forum thread here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/indesign-crashing-when-opening-story-editor-mac-m1/m-p/12472886
    Scroll to the bottom of the thread to see others with the same problem which has not been solved by the listed solutions. I have also tried exporting the document as IDML and then opening that with the same problem. I have also tried resetting my preferences. I still have this problem…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Corrupt pages of a document

Corrupt pages of a document

Goodnight,

I have spent several months trying to solve a problem that I have only in 4 pages (pp. 226-229) of a 400-page doctoral thesis.

The problem is that these 4 pages are not printed, nor can they be exported to pdf, nor can I touch anything within the pages themselves, as if these pages were corrupted.

When you search for those 4 pages, the text is not visible, EVEN THOUGH IT EXISTS. If you click inside the frame, if you can write.

I have tried absolutely everything: I have updated to the latest version…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. freezes at (starting up service registry) Indesign (17.3)

HI.

I suffer from a problem that some people talked about, and I tried all the solutions proposed by the community.

But unfortunately, to no avail.

The problem is that InDesign won't open, even though I have the latest version (17.3).

The problem is that the start screen freezes at (starting up service registry)

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Indesign is unusable

Since the last update Indesign is barely usable. It crashes 10 times a day and with no explanation. Changing fonts, placing objects, updating graphics, all seem to cause it to crash. Suitcase is also causing problems with Adobe fonts which I can't seem to resolve. This is by far the worst update to Indesign that has come out. Forget adding new features, fix the problems with the program first so it is at least usuable.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. all time crashes

ID 2020, 2021, 2022 crashes unexpected
    All versions are crashing sometimes when switching programs, sometimes while using. This happens 6–10 times during the day. Crash reporter is nearly no use because it won’t come up in 95% of all crashes.

Here’s the DB-link to a hang file. Hope this helps
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/5q7buzw0264ewsz/Adobe%20InDesign%202021_2021-12-31-121616_Mac-Pro-von-Michael.hang?dl=0

Help would be MOST appeciated!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. InDesign

InDesign constantly "not responding" after updating, even when performing the simplest tasks such as changing the font, changing the font size...

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Indesign crashes whenever story editor is opened

Story editor is unavailable because the crash happens as soon as I open it. On MacBook Air chip M1, Indesign 16.4. Also text in text frames disappears ,and F8 does not work as a shortcut to info.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Create Merged Document causes Indesign to hang and crash

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server: Adobe InDesign 2021 v16.4 macOS Big Sur 11.6
    2. Steps to reproduce the issues: Select Data Source in Data Merge panel options Assign data placement field in document's master page Click "Create Merged Document..." in Data Merge panel options
    3. Expected result: InDesign should insert data from selected source document and create new pages for all records.
    4. Actual result: Source document is imported correctly, and preview in Data Merge panel displays correct data, but when I click "Create Merged Document..." in Data Merge panel options it cause Indesign to hang, the application stops responding…
    2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. InDesign won't open correctly

My inDesign application will not open. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, restarting my computer, and even downloading an older version to see if it would fix the issue, and it hasn't. The application opens with the intro screen, then goes to what looks like it should be able to open a new document, but it doesn't load. I have tried to use the "new document" feature to pull up a blank page and no luck.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. InDesign crashes and cannot be shut down until a hard reset is performed on Mac OS computers

My colleagues and I have been collaborating on an indesign document on a share drive. Whenever one of us has recently opened, made any changes, and then closed it - if the other person then opens it from their computer, it crashes InDesign and it cannot be "Force Closed" and also InDesign doesn't show up in the list of open applications within Mac OS Activity Monitor.

I'd post logs and screenshots, but (A) I don't know which logs or where to find them, and (B) our computers crashed hard after this, even preventing Electron and other apps from accessing the…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Slow InDesign

I have downloaded InDesign in June 2021. It is working really really very slow. Also making my computer too slow to work on.
    I tried contacting your customer care through chat window of yours.
    There the person says you have 4 gb ram that is why it is so. Also he send my the installation requirements where it says minimum 4 gb ram required.
    I don't understand if it has to work so slow on 4 gb then why is it written only. Better say 64 gb required and no mention of 4gb to be made.
    Is there any way…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. idml import

When I open a specific IDML file Indesign crash and stop it all.
    InDesign 16.2.1 x64

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Crash when selecting bullet paragraph style

I'm trying to select Bullets and Numbering under Paragraph Style Options, and every time I do, InDesign crashes.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 5 7 9 24 25
  • Don't see your idea?