Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

520 results found

1. workspace

After a crash, no workspaces will load properly, neither pre-existing nor created. Right now I have to move between Essentials Classic and Interactive for PDF just to try to get most of the tools - though some tool I still cannot access. There is no top bar and few tools that load, plus the files when they open are sized tiny and hiding. I have to float in window to get them to appear.

I have tried to reset them and create a new workspace, but cannot get anything to help...

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

2. ID crashes when pasting text

ID becomes very unstable if you copy and paste text from one text box to
    another that contains a paragraph style with a nested line format.
    If it doesn‘t crash immediately, move around the cursor with the arrow keys and try to paste text again.
    Please find attached a document to reproduce this bug

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

3. Crash in InCopy corrupts InDesign file

File crashed when writer and designer were making single story InCopy edits back and forth. They made single story edits with no problem, but then tried to export a selection of 12 stories (all on 1 page) by selecting all 12 stories and exporting selection. When the writer opened InCopy to edit the page, it crashed every time she scrolled to that page.

The InDesign file then became corrupt and would crash immediately upon opening. Was able to save a version of the original file with a new name, but various text (on placed library items) is missing on the…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

4. InDesign crashes when highlighting open Acrobat comment text

This is a wild one that has happened multiple times now. InDesign will crash on my machine in the following specific circumstance:
    1) I have a text box selected in a file that I want to copy text into,
    2) I navigate to an ultimately unconnected PDF in Acrobat that has text I want to copy from,
    3) the PDF has an open comment box with currently highlighted text,
    4) I try to highlight other text within the comment box in order to copy that instead,
    5) and InDesign crashes hard (closes completely).

In case it matters, InDesign crashes before…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

5. crash on create merged document

Indesign 2018 cc on mac os 10.12.6, crash on "create merged document" in data merge menu if more than approx 100 records in data file . "export to pdf" works. We have some files that need editing after merge so need this to work. Worked before 2018 update on same files that are causing crashes now. Seems to crash at point its going from a temp file to creating the finished file after the merge has happened. Tries unsucessfully to "recover" a temp file on startup after crash. Is entirely repeatable. System and user usage together never goes above 60%…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    FIXED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

Hello All,
    Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 15.0

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 15.0
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

-InDesign Team

6. Indesign CS6 crash when I type or cancel text in table

I have problem with Indesign CS& tested with WIN7 or WIN10 with 2 different machine ... when I type or cancel text in table the program crash.
    I try to reinstall and I download last update but the problem is the same.
    I want buy a new version CC2018 but I tested TRIAL VERSION and the problem is the same.
    There is a person in ADOBE that can solve me this question ?
    I can send him a zip file created with LOG COLLECTOR TOOL.
    Thank you in advance. Best regards.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

7. Indesign crashes when I export 2 PDF files in a row.

I always create two PDF files for clients. One with spreads and one with single pages. But every time I try to export the second PDF (no matter which I do first) the app crashes.

This happens every single time, even if I wait until the first PDF is long finished.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

8. pasting crash

InDesign CC 13.1 — EVERY time I copy text from another program (PDF, email, Word, ANYTHING other text within InDesign), InDesign crashes immediately upon pasting into a text box within InDesign. No spinning beach ball. Just shuts down and closes. This is untenable and needs to be fixed. Productivity and my job depend on it. Can anyone please help solve this issue? Thank you.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

9. Cannot open file due to deleting hyperlinks in Indesign CC 2018

I was deleting the list of hyperlinks in my file and it crashed. So I kept saving the file after every hyperlink I had deleted so that I can find out which one was the root problem, but now I cannot even open the file as it just crashes immediately it opens. At this moment in time I have to do the whole job again.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

10. Indesign crashing on startup 2017 / 2018 (cloud) - Please Help!!

InDesign crashes the computer on startup. Not just the program, but restarts the PC. Sometimes it crashes with blue screen sometimes with plain and simple restart without any messages. Program does not even open.

I'm running Intel I7 8720X, Nvidia 1080 TI, 11 GB, 32 GB ram DDR4, 512 SSD + 3 TB Storage, Windows 10 Home - all updates.

I'm not sure what is going on. I tried to reinstall it, several times, after I uninstall removing preferences / settings, formatted the drives to kill any existing settings, still same issues. Photoshop, Illustrator and Adobe Acrobat work fine, not…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

11. Editing font in table and it crashes

Selecting multiple cells and changing font, Indesign keeps crashing

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

12. InDesign 2018 still crashing when updating in links panel after 13.0.1 update

InDesign 2018 still crashing when updating in links panel after 13.0.1 update. Running Mac OS High Sierra. It's one thing after another since updating to 2018.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. 3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

14. Using Text Wrap causes InDesign to crash!

When I use the text wrap or copy/paste an object with text wrap applied, the program crashes.

I noticed this is only happening when I attempt to add them to a page that includes a table in it.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

15. Copying multiple objects and switching documents causes InDesign to crash every single time.

Copying multiple objects and switching documents causes InDesign to crash every single time. Copying text from inside of a box or copying a single object doesn't seem to cause the crash to happen.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

16. Index Entry Crash

Working in InDesign CC 2018. Revising a single chapter of 1300+ page book. InDesign CC 2018 crashes every time I try to create a new index entry. I've installed the BugFxes for Mac, deleted preferences, restarted machine, etc. Trying to create new index entry crashes each chapter even when working in each chapter individually. InDesign CC 2017 did not have this problem. Any assistance or suggestions are appreciated.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received an email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding: Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.1.2(v15.1.2.226) as it is more robust and contains a lot of bug fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

17. Resize text box crashes InDesign

Resizing a text box crashes InDesign CC 2018.

I need a text box to be larger to (accommodate more text) and every method I've tried to enlarge it crashes InDesign.
    - Drag corner (any corner); crash.
    - Manually input larger width or height; crash.
    - Change text box properties to auto-size based on amount of text...add text; crash.

I NEED to add text to this file TODAY.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

18. 2018 crashes

I am able to get to the point of "do you want to start automatic recovery..i'll hit yes and no...crashes right after that

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

19. Crashing

Updated to High Sierra and Indesign 2017 is crashes on start up of large files?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. InDesign 2017 file on file server with High Sierra

We have Panzura file servers here and anytime we try to open an InDesign file with CC 2017 it completely crashes any mac that tries to open it, immediate kernel panic with both InDesign and Finder being the cause. So we tried to copy the files to the desktop and open them from there, no dice.

How on earth did Adobe not catch this bug? You guys had 3 months access at least to the dev prereleases like the rest of the software vendors, this is pretty unacceptable.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

1 2 5 7 9 25 26
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base