Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 2020 spinning wheel

InDesign 2020 has become almost unusable for me -- with every step the spinning wheel appears and delays for 30 seconds until ultimately I need to force quit. I am using the latest version of 2020 15.1.2. Should I revert to an earlier version?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. InDesign performance issues: text tool

InDesign performance issues (version 15.1.1 x64 - 32GB RAM installed - Win 10 - Adobe Creative Cloud).
    From the previous version the Text tool slows down the program considerably; it is not possible to work with at least two open files (I work with multiple open files, never a problem).
    So the work is very slow !!! Please provide a solution. Thank you!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. CEPHtmlEngine Helper

macOS Catalina 10.15.5. and InDesign. 15.1.1.

Massive problem with CEPHtmlEngine Helper. After a while, my MacBook Pro fan is running high and in the activity window, CEPHtmlEngine Helper is running between 90 and 100%. It is no fun to work with a system that runs crazy.
    Why? Solution needed.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. InDesign 15.1.1 - Fonts not activating - stuck on spinning circle background tasks

I have a problem on InDesign 15.1.1 - My Creative Cloud fonts are not activating... How can I sort this out? It's stuck on the spinning blue circle of doom - the background task has been saying queued for hours now.

I need my fonts not sure what to do?? Help.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Spinning wheel keeps running make program not responding

When starting up InDesign 2020 (15.0.3) it runs a ok for a couple of minutes, then the spinning wheel comes on/off randomly. When on its impossible to use the program.
    Its the program CEP Html Engine causing the problem. A lot of instances is started up (se attached image). Tried to debug the problem and found that its the file cef.pak (in CEP Program folder) that’s the problem. When removing this, everything is fine except that the startup popup is missing.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Major performance issues in 15.0.2 with multiple large documents open

I'm on a Windows laptop with a Core i7, 16 gb of ram and a dedicated GPU. Up until the 15.0.2 update there was some hitching and slowdown with these large files (and I noticed a weird bug where hitting T to use the Type tool doesn't actually change the tool) but now editing text can take up to 10 minutes with more than one file open. I can't make a screencast at the moment since I had to reinstall 15.0.1 to complete the project on time but the filesize we're talking about is 50-75mb, ~60 pages or so with…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. InDesign performance issue: Lags when selecting and moving items using wacom tablet

On a iMac with 32 GB RAM running under macOS 10.14.4 (18E226) InDesign v.14.0.2.324 with Wacom Intuos Pro tablet (6.3.24-1) in some documents cursor / items handling is unresponsive, lagging or too sensitive (click is registered when there was no click, dragging happens yet it wasn't been ignited).

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. InDesign 14 opening network files as read-only

We have been using InDesign for a while with files being stored on a network SMB share. on 4/4/19, after a few folks updated to 14.02, the Indesign and Incopy files are primarily only able to be opened as read-only.

Network server permissions have been verified and no other changes have occurred in our environment.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Please help us with answers to the below queries:

1. OS version of the machine where issue is reproducible.
    2.Are the files opened simultaneously by more than one user?
    3. Does the same file which is opened as Read Only in Id 14.0.2, when opened in Id 14.0.1 opens fine?
    4. Does remounting the SMB drive fixes the issue?

9. Flashing screen

When trying to open Illustrator AND InDesign, the "new document" window that automatically pops up is white and just flashes on and off the screen. If I try to click out of the screen, it closes the whole program. I can't access any of my files.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. CC library saying signed out but cloud is signed in

The CC library panel in indesign 2018 13.1 x64 on Windows 8 says i'm signed out of creative cloud and cant access my libraries but i'm signed in.

Only fix I can find atm is to forcefully sign out then back in but it resets everytime I shut down my computer and I dont want to keep doing that just to access my library.

Advice would be fab - Cheers

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Overall performance poor

The program takes 3-4 minutes trying to launch, then quits, generating an unexpected error report. It does this 2 times again before it will open the 3rd time. Making it nearly 12 minutes before it is actually usable.

Fonts: when a text box or text is clicked or selected, without exception, there is a long delay and spinning ball prior to being able to do anything with the text. Suitcase Fuision 19.1.1 is the font management program and they claim the problem is with Adobe.

Paste in place: sporadically the "paste in place", doesn't work properly–both through key command and…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Lock files not synced via google drive

We have an issue where one user opens an indesign file and a lock file is created. When on a standard file server, a second user tries to open the file and is told its locked by user x and they cannot open the file. With google file stream, user 1 opens the file and a lock file is generated and synced, user 2 has that lock file synced locally so its visible, but they can still open the file and get no lock warnings. Has anyone else found this and found a solution

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Slow lag time typing and generating raster image

I have not had this problem before but there is about a 2 second lag on everything from typing to panning around. I have aerial images via PDFs linked into the file (5 of them) and I'm placing leaders and text on top. The document is only 5 pages and it's very frustrating-please help!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Bad performance InDesign to InCopy

InDesign 13.0.1 and InCopy 13.0.1.
    I right click multible text blocks in InDesign to export them to InCopy and then save.
    After saving I inmediately get and new window asking to save the links again with a different name. I have to cancel the second save dialog window.
    The InCopy links do work in InCopy, but My collegues complain that InCopy is slow!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. high cpu usage indesign

I am periodically experiencing high CPU usage with InDesign 13.0 x64 on Windows 10. The CPU remains high even while not actively using InDesign and doesn't stop until I quit and relaunch the application. This issue only started happening within the past few weeks, probably after the most recent update.

I'm attaching a screenshot from the Task Manager showing 50% CPU consumption. Please note that my laptop is quad-core. That means InDesign is fully consuming 2 CPUs (4 threads) continuously.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Recent file panel

When Indesign first opens, the time stamp on the recent file is not correct. Some of the files are marked "in an hour" as when they were opened. Others are just marked as 4 hours ago.

The normal keyboard shortcut for hide does not work either on this screen.

Indesign CC 2017.1 release 12.1.0.56 build

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Change to gap tool made it useless for measurement

PRior to the latest update I could use the gap tool to hover between items and see in a moment the distance between them. Now the text color is so pale I can barely see it when hovering. Probably not an intentional change.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We have made improvements to the readability aspect in the Control panel fields when using the Gap Tool in InDesign CC 2018. You will see a marked change as compared to InDesign CC 2017.
    Closing this thread as we are no more hearing from users about this issue.

Thanks,
    Adobe InDesign team

19. No way to sync footnote options between documents.

I have a book consisting of several documents. I can sync styles between documents, but not footnote options. Syncing styles does not sync footnote options.

Having to set footnote options for each document that has them is onerous.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. dropbox sync font file issue

InDesign 15.1.1 creating font sync issue with Dropbox where it repeatedly changes the AdobeFnt22.lst file again and again while Dropbox tries to sync the file folder. This causes the editing process to be exceptionally sluggish and unresponsive when attempting to edit files saved to Dropbox folders. This does not happen on files saved to local drive (e.g. desktop) only Dropbox folders, and only in the most recent update. Previously it has not been an issue.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base