Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. InDesign 14 opening network files as read-only

We have been using InDesign for a while with files being stored on a network SMB share. on 4/4/19, after a few folks updated to 14.02, the Indesign and Incopy files are primarily only able to be opened as read-only.

Network server permissions have been verified and no other changes have occurred in our environment.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

7 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Please help us with answers to the below queries:

1. OS version of the machine where issue is reproducible.
    2.Are the files opened simultaneously by more than one user?
    3. Does the same file which is opened as Read Only in Id 14.0.2, when opened in Id 14.0.1 opens fine?
    4. Does remounting the SMB drive fixes the issue?

2. Flashing screen

When trying to open Illustrator AND InDesign, the "new document" window that automatically pops up is white and just flashes on and off the screen. If I try to click out of the screen, it closes the whole program. I can't access any of my files.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. CC library saying signed out but cloud is signed in

The CC library panel in indesign 2018 13.1 x64 on Windows 8 says i'm signed out of creative cloud and cant access my libraries but i'm signed in.

Only fix I can find atm is to forcefully sign out then back in but it resets everytime I shut down my computer and I dont want to keep doing that just to access my library.

Advice would be fab - Cheers

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Overall performance poor

The program takes 3-4 minutes trying to launch, then quits, generating an unexpected error report. It does this 2 times again before it will open the 3rd time. Making it nearly 12 minutes before it is actually usable.

Fonts: when a text box or text is clicked or selected, without exception, there is a long delay and spinning ball prior to being able to do anything with the text. Suitcase Fuision 19.1.1 is the font management program and they claim the problem is with Adobe.

Paste in place: sporadically the "paste in place", doesn't work properly–both through key command and…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Lock files not synced via google drive

We have an issue where one user opens an indesign file and a lock file is created. When on a standard file server, a second user tries to open the file and is told its locked by user x and they cannot open the file. With google file stream, user 1 opens the file and a lock file is generated and synced, user 2 has that lock file synced locally so its visible, but they can still open the file and get no lock warnings. Has anyone else found this and found a solution

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Slow lag time typing and generating raster image

I have not had this problem before but there is about a 2 second lag on everything from typing to panning around. I have aerial images via PDFs linked into the file (5 of them) and I'm placing leaders and text on top. The document is only 5 pages and it's very frustrating-please help!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Bad performance InDesign to InCopy

InDesign 13.0.1 and InCopy 13.0.1.
    I right click multible text blocks in InDesign to export them to InCopy and then save.
    After saving I inmediately get and new window asking to save the links again with a different name. I have to cancel the second save dialog window.
    The InCopy links do work in InCopy, but My collegues complain that InCopy is slow!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. high cpu usage indesign

I am periodically experiencing high CPU usage with InDesign 13.0 x64 on Windows 10. The CPU remains high even while not actively using InDesign and doesn't stop until I quit and relaunch the application. This issue only started happening within the past few weeks, probably after the most recent update.

I'm attaching a screenshot from the Task Manager showing 50% CPU consumption. Please note that my laptop is quad-core. That means InDesign is fully consuming 2 CPUs (4 threads) continuously.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Recent file panel

When Indesign first opens, the time stamp on the recent file is not correct. Some of the files are marked "in an hour" as when they were opened. Others are just marked as 4 hours ago.

The normal keyboard shortcut for hide does not work either on this screen.

Indesign CC 2017.1 release 12.1.0.56 build

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Change to gap tool made it useless for measurement

PRior to the latest update I could use the gap tool to hover between items and see in a moment the distance between them. Now the text color is so pale I can barely see it when hovering. Probably not an intentional change.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We have made improvements to the readability aspect in the Control panel fields when using the Gap Tool in InDesign CC 2018. You will see a marked change as compared to InDesign CC 2017.
    Closing this thread as we are no more hearing from users about this issue.

Thanks,
    Adobe InDesign team

12. Very Slow Performance

Very Slow Performance

Yes, InDesign is extremely slow today 2020-06-19, almost unusable, even many months after being discovered.
    The most worrying is that it seems that this bug was discovered in September 2019.

As David wrote 2019-09-04: “Almost every action from selecting objects, resizing objects, or moving objects comes with a really slow reaction time”.

Behaviour:
    > InDesign freezes, and my cursor starts spinning around (CPU jumps to 95-98%) for almost 30-45 seconds before I can continue with next command.
    > The behaviour is random, but when it starts working slow, then it continues. It usually happens when I open…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Adobe InDesign 15.0.2 x64 too slow when opening two or more InDesign documents

Adobe InDesign 15.0.2 x64 is too slow, when opening two or more InDesign documents.

I work with Windows 10 Enterprise, version 1803

Previously, I could open two or more InDesign documents without noticing any delays.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Adobe InDesign 2020 Super Slow

InDesign 2020 is super slow. I cannot have two files open at the same time anymore (a problem for me). The response time between mouse clicks is up to 10-30 sec! I have moved my files to an external drive (off of the network to eliminate VPN as the problem), still no improvement. It has crashed, and when prompted I have sent a report. My program is current 15.0.2.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Slow & stuttering performance since using 4K monitor

Hi

I've recently upgraded to a Dell UP2720Q 4K monitor.
    Since the upgrade i've notices that inDesign has become nearly unusable, Its slow when selecting objects, editing text, moving things around...

When moving Indesign to my second monitor (eizo s2433w) the problem goes away.

The only fix I have found is to change the display profile to "Apple RGB" in the display settings. This fixes the problem immediately, but now the colours look horrible...

I've also notices this problem with other Adobe apps like, illustrator and photoshop. But Indesign seems to have the worst of it.

1. Version of Adobe InDesign,…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Suddenly my document reverts to an earlier version

Ever since I updated Adobe InDesign to version 15.0.1, my current document suddenly reverts to a state from several minutes prior. All of my recent changes are gone, up to ten minutes, and they are not even available under Edit > Redo.

I've started saving more often now. Recently, this problem happened again. It suddenly went back to an earlier state than I had last saved, so I closed without saving, reopened, and the file was exactly in the state I expected, which was a LATER state than my document had reverted itself to (thank goodness), but not where I…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. blacked out images with no broken links

InDesign ver 15.0.1
    I have a file that displayed all linked images correctly this morning. 90% of the images are linked from my desktop, which is also where the InDesign file is located. 2 of the linked images are from a network cloud server.

After disconnecting from the server and then reopening the file, all linked files appear to have broken links. However when, checking the Links panel, only the images that were linked from the server are broken. This makes sense except that all linked images populate the document as either a gray box or a solid black box.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. InDesign typekit fonts and sometimes activation does not work when network connectivity is lost

I work during commute and travel on my laptop and the past few versions have not been able to utilize typekit fonts without internet connection.

Issues often persist even after reconnecting. There are many errors that arise when network switches status.

This makes me unable to adjust layouts since there is no way to know the space taken up by the font. This has also cost me hours in slow tech support from adobe. Hours of lost productivity because of this bug that has been unbelievably overlooked.

If there is anything else I can do to help fix this for…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Printing seems to change a document

When the only thing done is printing an InDesign document, the app acts if there were any changes made: when closing, it asks wheter to save the changes.
    This is very confusing, since it makes the user think something was changed by accident. Please make InDesign close the document without the save dialog, if nothing was changed.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Bugs with GPU, Bugs without GPU (zoom, moving objects, create text)

(Working on Adobe InDesign 14.0.2.)

Hi there,

so for a couple of weeks, my Indesign behaves quite badly.
    For demonstration purposes, I created a new blank file but these bugs also occur in existing work projects.

Case 1: GPU switched on (Image: GPU on):
    Zooming does not show any effect, only when I click in and change something. The rulers change, but my board/document is not zooming in (Video: Zooming with GPU). As soon as I found my page, the objects don't really move that well, more in a lagging, stocking way. (Video: Moving Objects with GPU).

This leads to…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base