Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Lock files not synced via google drive

We have an issue where one user opens an indesign file and a lock file is created. When on a standard file server, a second user tries to open the file and is told its locked by user x and they cannot open the file. With google file stream, user 1 opens the file and a lock file is generated and synced, user 2 has that lock file synced locally so its visible, but they can still open the file and get no lock warnings. Has anyone else found this and found a solution

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Cross Referencing Annoyance. Bang Head. Repeat.

For the love of god fix the cross-referencing slowdown! It literally makes working in multiple documents impossible because the cursor just locks up. This has been a bug for almost a decade. What's the deal?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Slow lag time typing and generating raster image

I have not had this problem before but there is about a 2 second lag on everything from typing to panning around. I have aerial images via PDFs linked into the file (5 of them) and I'm placing leaders and text on top. The document is only 5 pages and it's very frustrating-please help!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Presentation mode is not entering fullscreen and hiding the UI

Using InDesign on Windows 10. Recently (perhaps with the last CC update to 13.0.1 x64?) preview mode is no longer working as expected.

Whether using shift+W or via the menu, instead of full-screen document + black background (expected behaviour for Presentation mode), InDesign instead appears to be going into Preview mode, where the UI remains onscreen. The pasteboard is changing to black, however, the UI remains instead of full-screen mode.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Recent file panel

When Indesign first opens, the time stamp on the recent file is not correct. Some of the files are marked "in an hour" as when they were opened. Others are just marked as 4 hours ago.

The normal keyboard shortcut for hide does not work either on this screen.

Indesign CC 2017.1 release 12.1.0.56 build

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Change to gap tool made it useless for measurement

PRior to the latest update I could use the gap tool to hover between items and see in a moment the distance between them. Now the text color is so pale I can barely see it when hovering. Probably not an intentional change.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We have made improvements to the readability aspect in the Control panel fields when using the Gap Tool in InDesign CC 2018. You will see a marked change as compared to InDesign CC 2017.
    Closing this thread as we are no more hearing from users about this issue.

Thanks,
    Adobe InDesign team

8. Reveal in Finder on NAS Server not working

When using InDesign 14.0.3, on mac OS X Catalina (10.15.1), ctrl clicking the .indd file's title bar to reveal in finder doesn't work (switches to finder but doesn't reveal) if the .indd file is stored on NAS RAID server. Server connection is afp://
    Revel in Finder command works fine if the .indd file is stored locally.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. InDesign VERY SLOW almost UNUSABLE

InDesign is slow to almost unworkable. Mac OS Mojave, vs 10.14.6, InDesign 14.0.3. Copy an image, import an image, save the file, etc. Turned off preflight,
    Everything is extremely slow. Disable Suitcase and that did nothing to improve InDesign's performance. Have no other 3rd party plugins. I reinstalled 14.0.3 didn't help. Uninstalled 14.0.3 and installed 14.0.2 didn't help. So slow! Barely workable and can't finish my work on time.
    I'm using an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019) ,3.1 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Radeon Pro 575X 4 GB.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. InDesign Is Still Unusably Slow

Despite this forum being filled with "solved" reports of InDesign being unusably slow, it remains so.
    I am editing a 4 page document that is almost all text, and yet I get the spinning ball after each and every keystroke. It can take 5-10 seconds just to complete typing a word, and heaven help me if I make a mistake and need to backspace.

I just updated InDesign this morning so I am on 14.0.2. I'm running Windows 10 1903. The machine is an MSI laptop with an i7 processor and 12GB of RAM.

I have attempted to edit the…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. InD responding slowly

This isn't a "bug" per se, but InD has slowed to a crawl when using. Doesn't matter if I am trying to select text, change tools, or click on a menu item. It's been going very slow for a while now, doesn't matter the file. I have tried to trash preferences and reinstall InD, and nothing has changed it. Oh, and I just have major lag, not a spinning ball.

I am Win10, InD CC 14.0.2. The only plug-in I am running is Suitcase Fusion, and that is up to date as well.

Help please, as InDesign is unusable at…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Smart Grid feature not working properly. Green lines don't appear showing alignment with object's previous location

As the title says, when I move an object, the temporary green smart grid lines do not appear to show whether I am in alignment with the object's previous position. I noticed this when I was trying to replicate the 3rd video titled "Align and group content" in the "Edit Content" tutorial.

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/how-to/edit-modify-content.html

I am using Adobe InDesign version 14.0.2 x64 on Windows 10.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. InDesign 14 opening network files as read-only

We have been using InDesign for a while with files being stored on a network SMB share. on 4/4/19, after a few folks updated to 14.02, the Indesign and Incopy files are primarily only able to be opened as read-only.

Network server permissions have been verified and no other changes have occurred in our environment.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Please help us with answers to the below queries:

1. OS version of the machine where issue is reproducible.
    2.Are the files opened simultaneously by more than one user?
    3. Does the same file which is opened as Read Only in Id 14.0.2, when opened in Id 14.0.1 opens fine?
    4. Does remounting the SMB drive fixes the issue?

14. Wacom tablet settings nonfunctional

Wacom tablet setting for InDesign CC 2019 won't show or function in the active application. The touch ring and radial menu setting do not show up. The default settings appear instead. The screen grabs demonstrate how the touch ring behaves with the four default functions; autoscroll/Zoom, Cycle Layers, Brush Size and Canvas Rotation.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Short Cut Keys no longer work in Indesign 2019

Indesign 2019
    Most of the old standard short cut keys no longer work and I cannot find anywhere what the new ones are or if I can change to a legacy mode. I'm talking basic old school short cuts like "space" to bring up the hand tool temporarily and the "shift" key to proportionately scale an object. Can anyone help me out with this as my productivity is grinding to a halt and I am not happy one bit.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Working in InDesign 14.01 on an imac Retina 5K, 4 GHz intel core i7. MacOS Mojave versjon 10.14.1.

Working in InDesign 14.01
    On an imac Retina 5K, 4 GHz intel core i7.
    MacOS Mojave versjon 10.14.1.

In Design is so super slow for me.
    I´ve updated everything, and still its superslow.

I work on a lot of large documents and some of them I can't even open up. It just crashes or takes for ever to get something done!! Frustrating!!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Keyboard Shortcut Ctrl+Shft+G (Ungroup) acts strange

In Windows 10, Indesign 14.0:

Ungrouping with keyboard shortcut only works when I:

1. hold Ctrl+LeftShift,

2. then touch RightShift (while holding Ctrl+LeftShift) (????)

3. press G (while still holding Ctrl+LeftShift)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. File Info (description) on placed photographs in indesign CC 14 is unable to be copied to clipboard when selected.

File Info (description) on placed photographs in indesign CC 14 is unable to be copied to clipboard when selected. This means we are unable to caption images using metadata in our newsroom workflow. Is anyone else having this issue.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. tool

When working with Indesign CC2018 and still in CC2019 on Mac. I can't use the Toolbox/bar on my second monitor connected to my MacBook. When the Toolbox is placed/locked on to the left hand side of the screen, the submenus of all tools (Type, Pen, Pencil etc.) don't open on my secondary monitor, but semi randomly are placed on the display of my MacBook. the only way to "fix" this is to place the Toolbox on the MacBook's display, but that's not the way to go about it...
    It has something to do with different resolutions of the two screens,…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Performance GPU

Issue at hand. The latest InDesign and Illustrator have poor GPU performance. All of my fonts and graphics are "blurry" and Pixlelated. No one has called me back, and am pretty disappointed.

My case no. ADB-1524437-B1P3

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base