Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
    Thanks for reporting this issue. We have seen this issue being reported by some users ever since Paragraph Shading as a feature was introduced in InDesign.
    I have marked this issue as “Under Review” for consideration by the InDesign team.

-Aman

2. Table header is missing after copy/paste

When I copy/paste a table, the header line is missing. My workaround is to change the height of the next line, then the header line appears. Then I change the height back to the actual height.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. footnote

Does InDesign plan to update its footnote options so that a single column text can have 2-column footnotes at the bottom?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Discretionary Line Break doesn't work in CC 2018

In InDesign CC 2018, text won't automatically break where a Discretionary Line Break is inserted—such as after an Em-dash. This feature worked in InDesign CS6.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. World Ready Paragraph Composer not working for Tibetan

Adobe 2017.1 release, build 12.1.0.56

Adobe World-Ready Paragraph Composer (AWRPC) for Tibetan fonts does not work in InDesign. While this was not an issue in CS4 since the Adobe Paragraph Composer (APC) was working well for at least two fonts (Jomolhari-ID and SambhotaUnicode), it has become an issue preventing us from using any later versions of InDesign: the APC became unusable for Jomolhari (our main font), and since the AWRPC was never completely working, we are now in a situation where neither APC or AWRPC works… (though SambhotaUnicode still works for APC only).

Jomolhari-ID can be downloaded here: https://collab.its.virginia.edu/access/content/group/26a34146-33a6-48ce-001e-f16ce7908a6a/Tibetan%20fonts/Tibetan%20Unicode%20Fonts/Jomolhari-ID-a3d.zip

Attached…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. story editor

In my notes, the first character is always substituted with a missing font symbol. It looks fine in the main layout window, but this odd behavior occurs both in the Notes panel, as well as the same note when displayed in the story editor.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Bug in Adobe World-Ready Composer for Kannada Language

Attached are Adobe Indesign document, Scribus (v1.5.3) document, PDF outputs.

Fonts used: Hubballi available at https://github.com/erinmclaughlin/Hubballi/blob/master/build/Hubballi-Regular.otf

Tunga: Available in Windows 10 as part of Kannada language pack.

Scribus uses "Harfbuzz" text shaping engine. It doesn't any issue shaping Kannada text, except for one case; U+0CCD U+200D which is canonical equivalence of U+200D U+0CCD. Harfbuzz has accepted this bug and will be fixed in the next release. https://github.com/behdad/harfbuzz/issues/435 https://github.com/behdad/harfbuzz/issues/341

Adobe indesign Adobe World-Ready Composer has lots of bugs with shaping Kannada text.

Please rectify as soon as possible.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Sumit Garg responded

Thanks for reporting this issue.
    We have verified this issue and forwarded this issue to our Indic languages expert team for investigation.

Once investigation is complete, We will definitely update this post.

8. Text Frame Otpion

Text hops around in text box from top to bottom when moving text frame. I have seen a lot people online having the same issue. Only work around, and it's just that a work around not a fix, every time you place text you have to go to Object>Text Frame Options>Baseline Option and click "Use Custom Baseline Grid". Doing this every single time I place text is getting rather tedious. Just encountered bug today, restarted both indesign and imac, the bug stayed. About to re-install indesign all together.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Variable Font: top of "U" wiggles as you change weight (FreeType bug)

1. Download and unzip https://www.dropbox.com/s/3b6k0izkm5ma3dy/200719-AdobeVFBug.zip?dl=1

2. Install the font from font/DaikonVF-mini.ttf

3. Run InDesign 15.1.1

4. Type "AU" and choose the Daikon VF font

5. Click the Variable Font button and move the weight slider between the extreme locations. Observe how the top of "U" "wiggles" (jumps up and down). This is shown in videos/DaikonVF-InDesign-15.1.1.mp4

6. The same problem occurs in Illustrator 24.2.1 and I have logged it at https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/40945024-variable-font-bug-wiggling-top-of-u

7. The same problem occurs in DTL OTmaster 7.9 and in FontView 2019 (an open source app built from https://github.com/googlefonts/fontview ) — both apps use older versions of the FreeType library.

8. The problem no longer occurs in…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. In Design 15.0.2 freezes up and is extremely slow

It takes quite a while to do simple things like create a text box, move the boxes around, cutting and pasting, moving from the selection tool to the type tool, etc. It will even freeze up moving from page to page. It takes forever to get any work done. Please help!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. text shadow

I have a text box with Drop Shadow Effect on the text itself. When I edit the text, the shadow does not change. I discovered quite accidentally that Undo (CTRL+Z) then Redo (CTRL+SHIFT+Z) fixes the issue.

However, when I change the angle of the object (text box), the text moves but the shadow remains in place. I cannot fix it even by adjusting the Effect angle options.

I have another issue where I have two separate text boxes on the same page with the exact same font and supposed font size, but the text is quite obviously not actually the…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Underline and Strikethrough Don't Work in Character Style When Used in Numbered List

Underline/strikethrough applied to a character style works, but NOT when that character style is applied to numbers in a numbered list via a Paragraph Style's Bullets and Numbering pane.

InDesign 15.0.1

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. [15.0.2.323] Big problem with unrecognized user dictionaries

macOS 10.14.6 - multiple computers with us and with customers

We noticed today that extensive user dictionaries are recognized as such by the existing documents, but InDesign (current version) completely ignores them and thus incorrectly hyphens them.

In a special case, a very extensive user dictionary is linked as a symlink (alias) from the Dropbox into the corresponding Linguistics folder in Application Support / Adobe. So far, this worked wonderfully with all versions and has the advantage that adjustments are automatically distributed correctly via the Dropbox.

I tried the following:
    the symlink resolved and the extensive dictionary (a lot of…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Adobe Fonts not activating

When I need to activate a font from Adobe Fonts directly from Find Font context menu inside InDesign, it keeps loading indefinitely but never actually activates.

The only solution is going to Adobe Fonts web page and activate it there.

Screenshot attached.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. bullets

When I convert text to outlines, bullets disappear.
    Adobe Indesign 15.0

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Thaana text properly composed in 14.0.3 messed after converting to 15.0

Weird changes in the text after converting file to 15.0. (Upon opening a file with Thaana text) see attached images.

Diacritics completely messed up AFTER recomposing (change alignment or reapply World-Ready composer) See attached images.

Cannot use double/triple-clicking to select text composed in the new composer. (can select paragraphs already composed in the previous version, if no changes are made to that paragraph.)

To see it in a new document: create a new document, copy and paste Thaana text (ex: Dhivehi Wikipedia), apply World-Ready composer.

Sample indd: https://www.dropbox.com/s/imh6najk6nlv39m/Cooperative%20Learning%20Poster.indd?dl=0

Font used: http://www.hassanhameed.com/?page_id=154

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Typekit keeps breaking sync and deleting downloaded fonts

Typekit keeps breaking sync and deleting downloaded fonts.

When I open Indesign, the fonts I previously downloaded are nonexistant which makes working with my document impossible! This happens at least once a week and persists after multiple uninstalls, system restarts and re-installs. Sometimes, it does not sync (or only some fonts sync) even after logging in again.

On a side note, Adobe CC downloader constantly logs me out.

With all the--excessive--background processes adobe now forces us to run you would think there shouldn't be an issue. I am more than happy to provide feedback and system information to fix this…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Tired of Adobe cloud and syncing

I have had it!
    I have so had it with you Adobe! I'm not even connected to the internet, I'm OFFLINE!!!! In InDesign, when I work with a freaking Google font called "Lato," I expect only the Google Font to be on my system fonts. Yet, you, yes, YOU want me to connect to the internet so that the font "Lato Medium" is synced into my design, which I did not even request to be synced in the first place. I never wanted the **** font, yet you force it down on me. InDesign keeps telling me that the font…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Loss of typographic enrichment (italic, bold, etc.) on import

On CC2019 14.0.3 but also on previous versions.
    When I import a Miscrosoft Word text I sometimes lose part of the enrichment. On the attached example the majority of Bold are kept but some are gone. This is very problematic when working on documents of several hundred pages.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. eyedropper tool

Using the eyedropper tool to select a color from the desired text is not working properly. Only strokes are painted with the desired color, not the text. It should like Illustrator's eyedropper tool which works perfectly. I have to use Illustrator's eyedropper tool to get the desired results I want.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base