Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Indents not holding after page break

1. InDesign CC 2018, though I logged this bug for 2017 as well. It may also have existed as far back as CS6. I had hoped it would be fixed in this release.

2. Create a paragraph style that has a left indent and set text in that paragraph style. Set enough text to flow onto a second page.

3. The text should retain the left indent after the page break.

4. Sometimes, the first line of text after the page break does not retain the indent.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

9 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

The fix for this issue is now available in InDesign’s latest version, id 14.0.3.
    Please update your InDesign to try out the fix.

Note:
    If you open a file which already has this issue, in the new version, you may continue to see the issue.
    To resolve such cases, you may SAVE AS the file or do a force text re-composition as the workaround

However, all the new files created in the new version will not have this issue anymore.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

-InDesign Team

2. Clicking document-installed font from font list gives error to "activate font" and doesn't change font.

InDesign 14.0 on Windows 10 x64

I just upgraded to InDesign 14.0, and there appears to be a bug when clicking a document-installed font from the font list. The font list gives an error message to "Click 'Activate' button to activate fonts" and the text frame keeps the existing font, instead of changing to the new font.

Expected result:
    The expected result would be the same behavior as InDesign 13.1, where you could click a document-installed font from the font list, and the text frame would update to the newly selected font.

Actual result:
    In InDesign 14.0, clicking a document-installed…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    This issue is now fixed in the latest update (Id 14.0.1) of InDesign CC.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

Once the update button is shown against InDesign CC, click on the button to update your InDesign to Id 14.0.1 for the fix of the issue.
    Do let us know in the comments, if you face any problem with the new update.

List of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,
    InDesign Team

3. World-Ready Composer Is messing up the kerning in Latin fonts

I have reported a variation of this—back with CS6—but it seems not to have been fixed. I assume it's a bug, but if someone can enlighten me about what I might be doing wrong and how I can fix this, I'd appreciate it.

I often work on books that include Arabic and Hebrew words and phrases in the middle of English text. They only way to get the Arabic ligatures to form is to use one of the World Ready composers. When I do that, though, the kerning around some English characters often—but not always—is affected. I have tried turning…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,
    Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 15.0

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 15.0

-InDesign Team

4. A splitted footnote with three lines violates keep options and makes a widow instead of an orphan

1. Version of Adobe InDesign
      This issue appears in every InDesign versions since footnotes are supported.
      Bug reports / feature requests (from CS3 up to CS6) have been ignored in the past.

2. Steps to reproduce the issues
      given:
      a) a footnote with three text lines
      b) splitting footnotes allowed in the footnote options
      c) keep options: at start/end of Paragraph 2/2 (2 lines at start, 2 lines at end)

Play with the textframes hight so that the footnote is forced to be splitted. It will only split 2/1, not 1/2.

1. Actual result
      The footnots splits with 2 lines in the textframe…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Right Arrow / Left Arrow in tables

InDesign version 14.0.

The keyboard shortcut "Ctrl+Right Arrow" to move one word to the right does not work when the text cursor is in a table. Same for "Ctrl+Left Arrow", to move one word to the left.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Fix for this issue is now available in the latest update of InDesign 2020.

In the Creative Cloud Desktop application, click on the Updates section on the left. You should be able to see the Update available for InDesign. Please update your InDesign application to this version to try out the fix.

Let us know in the comments section if you face any problem with the updation process.

Adobe InDesign Team

6. Vertical Text Alignment not working correctly in InDesign 2020

I recently upgraded to InDesign CC 2020 and find all the text in circles not aligned vertically center. Document was last opened in CC 2019 and these were fine. I haven’t modified these since. Rectangles are fine. See attached example - clearly not right and inconsistently so. I have tried every setting and I can’t get them to line up. Thanks!

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Fix for this issue is now available in the latest update of InDesign 2020 – that is, InDesign 15.0.1

In the Creative Cloud Desktop application, click on the Updates section on the left. You should be able to see the Update available for InDesign. Please update your InDesign application to this version to try out the fix.

If you have created documents from ID15.0 where you see this issue, please do a Force Recomposition of the Text Frames (Cmd-Opt-/ on Mac, Ctrl-Alt-/ on Win) to make it work correctly.

Let us know in the comments section if you face any problem with the updation process.

Adobe InDesign Team

7. Unable to change fonts

I am unable to change fonts.

Changing weights seems to work, but changing fonts does not work.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,
    Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 15.0

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 15.0

-InDesign Team

8. Placed ICML files do not appear in the Assignments panel

Placed InCopy ICML files should appear in the Assignments panel. They do not. This is under InDesign CC2018.1.

The only step needed to reproduce this is to create an InCopy file. Save it and then place in InDesign.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your support. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.
    Please upgrade to the new InDesign 14.0 from your Creative Cloud Application.

If you are unable to see the update yet, click on the menu (three dots) on the top right corner of Creative cloud app and click on “Check for App Updates”.

Let us know your feedback in the comment section.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

9. Khmer Script Punctuation Line Breaking Is Broken

Regression Bug (used to work in InDesign CS 5.5)

Adobe InDesign CC 15.03 currently will break lines between Khmer script and its punctuation even though no space is present (Khmer Unicode Punctuation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khmerscript#Spacingand_punctuation ) as pictured in the attachment.

Desired Result: Khmer punctuation should stay with the Khmer script preceding it (just like an English period, comma, question mark, etc. does). The whole word should line break with the punctuation (currently Khmer uses zero-width spaces [U+200B] to indicate a word-boundary).

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Indents Break Burmese Type

Applying an indent to Burmese type in InDesign makes the text render incorrectly. Please see the example in the attached file.

InDesign 15.0.1 x64

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Burmese font rendering error

InDesign CC 15
    WorldScript doesn't compose Burmese Unicode characters correctly, shifting the location of some characters and not positioning some accents correctly, do you have a plan to fix this as it has been like it for a long time? Other languages like Lao and Khmer have been fixed over time, but not Burmese.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Split column doesn't work correctly.

Urgent: ID 2020 splitting multiple columns doesn't work!
    I attach screenshot showing:
    - paragraph style split column
    - screenshot with style applied in ID 2019 14.3
    - screenshot with the same style and same text in ID 2020

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Bad optical kerning for superscript "4"

When a superscript "4" follows a closing smart quotation mark, optical kerning is set to -60 or -70 depending on font. This is too close (basically a crash).

This is annoying for books with lots of endnotes, where superscript numbers usually follow quotation marks.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Tab controls are buggy. InDesign CC 2018

When using the Tabs control dialogue box all sorts of problems begin to manifest. First, as you are working with the tabs controls page elements go sideways. Text overlaps, sometimes entire paragraphs preceding the area you are working in.

On occasion, the tabs simply don't line up to where you assign them, even when you do so numerically. (See screenshot)

Settings for paragraph styles take precedence over tabs settings (even though tabs traditionally were the opposite, taking precedence.)

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Use Auto-Sizing and Text Wrap Frame on causes application crash

Environment: InDesign 2020 (15.0.2 Japanese version) + macOS (confirmed with 10.15.3 and 10.14.6)

• create and connect two text frames

• set Auto-Sizing "Height and Width" on Text Frame Options

• Insert text into two frames full

• overlay graphic frames with Text Wrap settings ON

• move the graphic frame appropriately (drawing is not normal at this point)

• close documents with Command + W

During this operation, you will usually be asked to confirm the save, but suddenly InDesign will end and the application will crash.
    Also, if you try while overwriting with Command + S without Command + W, you may not be…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi
    Based on internal investigation and customer comments, we have concluded that the issue got fixed in InDesign 15.0.2 and that issue happens with InDesign 15.0.1 version only.

Please start a new thread in case you see the issue happen with InDesign 15.0.2

Thanks

16. Variable Fonts stem weight issue, even when Create Outlines is used

When using a variable font in InDesign, some glyphs collapse even when I use Type > Create Outlines, so it's not just a display issue. The same glyph in the same named instance displays correctly in browsers, Chrome and Safari, and other apps that support variable fonts, like FontView. (screenshots are attached)

Please fix this so that variable fonts display the same in InDesign as they do in other applications, thank you!

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Shading and Underline conflict

Some underline strokes become invisible when Paragraph Shading is applied.
    If removed shading then strokes appear.
    That's a bug, shading always must go bottom.
    Two screenshots are from Indesign, with and without paragraph shading. The last screenshot is from Acrobat, i've deleted manually gray frames to reveal the hidden strokes.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Grep expressions with ~F in a character class fail in endnotes

The inclusion of ~F in a character class invalidates grep expressions in endnotes.

InDesign version: 14.0.2.324 (with the GREP fix installed)

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open the attached document. It contains a single page with text and an endnote.

2. In the GREP tab of the Find/What window, enter the following GREP expression:

\d[^.,;~F]+

And target the document. The expression matches from a digit up to the next period, comma, semicolon, or footnote marker.

Expected result: The expression should match some text in the main text and in the endnote.
    Actual Result: The expression does not match anything in the endnote.

To…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Spellcheck not working

The Spellcheck tool does not work as of version 14.0.1
    The spellcheck window pops open but "spellcheck complete"message appears. Clicking "start" does nothing. This happens in all documents. All the settings and user dictionary seem correct.

I tried selecting all the options in the "search" dropdown menu but nothing works. Spellcheck simply won't start.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Invisible character

Apply all Auto Edits inserts an invisible character before which then interferes with Find and Replace. When pasted into a GREP search, it looks like ~I, but can't be found. It can be manually removed, but this is not helpful, as I need to be able to perform a comprehensive Find/Replace.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base