Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• or

248 results found

1. PDF export function with the selection of which metadata or whether general metadata of pictures should be exported.

Many companies and also designers are not aware that they share sensitive content on their websites via the metadata for expamle in pictures, if these were uploaded directly after the InDesign PDF Export.

Many PDFs created with InDesign that you can find online from large companies contain very accurate, detailed information such as mails/phone numbers/patient information/non-public addresses/etc (for example Metadatas from Images embedded wihtin the exported PDF). This is a privacy conflict and in some countries a violation of existing laws.

Photoshop/Lightroom/Premiere, for example, use a check box/features to control the metadata that is exported. In InDesign this feature is…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Can you please add a Highlight Text feature?

Seems like this should have been included years ago. It would make it so much easier when reviewing/editing a document to highlight text which needs to be reviewed/confirmed, etc.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. tabs read Your work instead of file name

this is really inconvenient especially if more than one file is being reviewed.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Remove (or give option to remove) font information from Contextual Properties style dropdown

The font name/weight/size information now included in the properties dropdown adds a lot of visual clutter without being particularly useful for finding desired styles.

For example, in a typical document I have multiple styles that all use the same font name/weight/size, but differ greatly in other settings-- some are bullets, some have an inset, some have specific nested styles, etc etc. THAT'S what's important about them, not the fact that they share a font name/weight/size.

In addition, because the style name and the style attributes are shown in the same font size/weight in the menu, it's harder to scan down…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Collaborate files in the start "Workspace" (quick shortcut)

In the Workspace "start' you can show your indesign files from de cloud. Called CC-Files. I like this feature. It works fine, but don't work with shared (collaborate) folder.
    I see al my cc-documents in the cloud, except the files in the shared (collaborate) folder.

Please make it possible. Otherwise, the idea of the cloud does not work.

Thanks

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. repeat action for specified pages

while working on a document, it occasionally becomes necessary to apply a transformation to each page in a sequence of pages, for example, rotating an instance of a linked file on every other page, scaling the content of certain pages to prepare for printing in a slightly modified format, etc.

It would be very useful to have a button that performs what is essentially the "repeat last action" or "repeat sequence again", but rather than applying said function to a selected object, records the marquis selection area as part of the sequence, and perform the selection and action on each…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Mac Alias on Server - please add back this feature

Indesign and other Adobe Software can't handle Alias files on shared Drives (mac).
    Please add back this essential feature, our workflow based on this.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Set asset path base location in preferences

Allow the user to set the base relative path location in preferences instead of having them set to absolute all the time. This will allow complete folder structures within Create Cloud Folders to be shared to other user without all the assets link breaking all the time and will avoid the need to send packaged files all the time.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Add PDF Downloads to Publish Online Dashboard Analytics

It would be really useful if PDF downloads was a statistic added to the Analytics in the Publish Online dashboard.

Our company, as I am sure many others are, is strattling the line trying to figure out what documents are still necessary to print and what documents can exist solely as digital documents, and it would be really helpful to know how many people are still going out there and downloading a copy. This would require some inference on our end, but we could then determine how many people want their own copy of a document and how many are…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PublishOnline  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Batch Export indb

I would need to have the ability to batch export a folder of books to pdf. The community scripts are not enough—there are features missing.

Also batch export would have to have
    – auto update links in documents,
    – auto closing and saving (otherwise page numbers are wrong in shared documents).

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Password Protection for Online Publishing

It would be incredibly helpful if, when publishing a pdf online - for both personal or professional use - there was an option to add a password protection to the link, so that if a link to an important document were to be shared, only those intended recipients - those with access to the password - would be able to access and view it.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Make gifs great again

• Allow a preview of a live GIF while designing - currently when it is placed into a deck it is static and only reviewable by publishing online.

• Allow a choice of the GIF thumbnail that becomes the still image when an offline version is downloaded. Currently I'm at the mercy of whatever the very first frame is in the entire GIF sequence.

• Better yet, make Adobe Reader able to play gifs so the 'offline' version doesn't have to be a compromise of the original intention.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Import and export Find/Change queries button

I would LOVE to be able to import and export find/change queries from the find/change window, instead of having to go through cumbersome Windows folders to get the same result. A little button besides the save query/delete query would work really well and not be intrusive at all. This would be really helpful for sharing common actions that need to be standardized among various team members without each one having to recreate individual queries and saving them (or going through Windows hidden folders). Thanks!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Hyperlink to open a file in server doesn't work

Hi
    Here's my problem.
    I try to make a pdf with hyperlinks that lead to some files. (Jpg,doc,xlsx...)
    Those files are on a server shared by all my colleagues.
    But the link never work in the pdf.
    Acrobat or other pdf reader try to connect to internet instead of opening the files. whatever the option i choose in the hyperlink pannel, i see that indesign add url=http before my link.
    Anyone know how we could fix that bug ???

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. spell check

Spell check in Indesign is not fit for purpose in its current state, it is slow and clunky and gives no indication of where you are when checking a long document, could it not give a list of words like links panel that you can click to go to? At least implement some sort of progress bar and indication of how man words are incorrect/need reviewing. The forwards and backwards button do not help in any way - i'm sure the reason you need the change direction is only because its so slow and clunky that it goes past…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Remember last export format

The recently released feature to remember export settings and have them stick with individual documents was a good concept, but it has not been fully implemented.

As it stands, all it remembers is the 'type' of file that was exported – which in most cases is pretty pointless. I'm sure people know when they export their file whether it needs too be an EPS or a PDF.

What I thought the feature was going to be was something that remembered the complete export settings – for example with a print PDF it could keep the info relating to compression settings,…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Allow saving importing and exporting Proof Setup settings (Also include Colour blindness settings)

InDesign is usually the final step in creating a publication where the changes can be made. It is therefore important to view a document, especially if intended for print, with correct proof settings. In Photoshop it is possible to save Proof settings, but in InDesign this is not possible (I wish they were interchangeable)

Comparing Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign you see that there is less and less possibilities to have control which is ironic because often you would not know the output intent until you come to InDesign, and you may also have assets that are to be used for…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Add ability to make resusable/editable linked COMPONENTS (like in XD)

InDesign has been dancing around the edges of this idea for years, with half-baked features like snippets, libraries, linked items in the content grabber....but it never has gotten it right. What we need is something exactly like the "components" feature in Adobe XD. We grab some objects, and then "Make Component" out of them. Then we can plop multiple instances of that component throughout the document. If we go back and edit the "Main Component" those changes are automatically applied to all placed instances of it.

Yes, I know you can place one indesign doc into another, which is the…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Enable more control panel and app bar customization

Please enable greater customization of the control panel (the top/bottom panel from the Essentials Classic workspace).

I realize you can customize which tools are included, however, it takes up too much space. Even if I reduce the number of tools to very few, the panel takes up two rows worth of space and all the tools are stacked (in two rows) at the far left of the panel. You also cannot arrange the order or position of the various tools.

I hate how much space the panels take up on the screen and that's part of the reason I like…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. B2B Inspection

B2B Inspection is the leading destination for customer ratings and reviews of businesses. Consumers find ratings and read reviews to ensure they buy from the best companies. Consumers can also get answers to questions from other customers and the business itself. After a purchase, consumers can leave their own feedback and get help resolving any issues that might arise.

https://www.b2binspection.com/

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?