Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

How can we improve InDesign?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add a way in a book file to change the conditional text "Set" of all documents within the book at a global level.

Please add a way in a book file to change the conditional text "Set" of all documents within the book at a global level.

This way I can print "Product A" without having to open every document within the book and changing the "Set" to product A. Like wise for "Product B," etc.

An alternative would be to add it o the publish/print/export presets.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Kerning Issues Between Text and Tabs

A detail about kerning/tracking that seems to have slipped through the cracks: how text and tabs interact with each other in Indesign.

I noticed this while doing fillable forms with underscores. The space after the type wildly varies in distance, and from what I can tell, there is no way to automatically or manually adjust it. I tried switching kerning between manual and optical, with no results. I tried manually adjusting the kerning, which doesn't affect it either. The spacing seems to be related to the length of the text.

A visual example:
    Address____
    ZIP code _____

A future feature…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Styles UI needs to keep up with the times

Styles are implemented in InDesign since... well, for ever. The options and settings grew a lot over the years BUT it still looks and feels the same. Old and unflexible. There is a styles window with your collected styles and to edit those you have your Style Options window. Basically that´s it.

Practically that means you have to open each style individually, make your changes individually (although you want equally changes), check if design and layout still works, edit each style... again... individually.

Please find a way to improve working/handling styles e.g. for collective changes or simultaneously opening multiple Style…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Countdown page numbering

I needed to start a book with the highest number to the lower, but it's not possible to start a page from 200 until 1 instead of 1 to 200.
    Could a nice function also for double language book with right reading languages and left reading languages.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Import from web-based locations. Like Digital Asset Managers.

It would be very beneficial for our workflow to be able to easily import images and other documents from web-based sources. For instance, we have all our images on a Digital Asset Manager (DAM), and would like to pull directly from that. That way, if the image is updated, we don't need to replace the files.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. External link to a specific point of a Publish Online document

Can we get a way to link directly to a text anchor, hyperlink destination, page # etc from an external source?

For example: I'd like to publish product documentation using Publish Online, and it would be nice to be able to link to a page or text anchor from a help document that would take someone to a specific point (i.e. a connection diagram).

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PublishOnline  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Links panel: Place time

In "Links panel" we already have the option to add or change the columns displaying usefull info about the linked object. Choosing "Place Date" is an option to show the date when the object was placed.
    Now... it would be neat if, in addition, the column could show the "time" as well.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Preflighter to warn of Effect modes in use (excluding Normal & Multiply)

Please add the ability in Preflighter to detect and warn of elements assigned to effect modes other than Normal and Multiply.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Duplicate spreads/pages must merged with Move Spreads/pages and provide a dialog instead of dropping duplicates in the end of the current do

The pages, duplicated through "duplicate page menu" are placed after the last page, which is usually the last page of the cover. They aren't needed there. Frankly speaking they are needed elsewhere. The duplicated spread should provide a dialog similar to moving page with the same options. That why it is user friendly to merge those options in one dialog.

Even the current implementation of the move dialog would work if the option to keep the moved pages was awailable for the current document. I don't understand why it was blended out in the first place.

The dialog must be…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Save as PDF options unsupported.

There is no auto work around save multiple pages as a layout in PDF.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Make editing of hidden Conditional Texts easier

When working on texts with hidden conditional texts in it, I frequently have to do corrections inside the hidden texts either. It would be great, if hidden conditional text would be visible and editable e.g. in the story editor, without changing the visibility in the conditional text panel.

Or make it expandable in the story editor by clicking on the eye symbol ...

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Select which PSD artboards are displayed when placed into InDesign (similar to Illustrator)

When you place an illustrator file into InDesign, you can select which artboards you want to place. The same should be done with Photoshop artboards (instead of having to place the entire photoshop document).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. I want a generic command to repeat the least command I executed. Like control-Y does in the much-hated MS Word....Saves time.

I want a generic command to repeat the least command I executed. Like control-Y does in the much-hated MS Word....Saves time.

I often wind up doing the same thing many times, like applying a char style or whatever. I want a keyboard shortcut to repeat whatever I did last.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Please implement support for fast entry of Mac OS accented chars asap

Mac OSX now supports accents very cleanly and simply c/o press and hold briefly (a, e whatever) then your accent choices display as in the attached screengrab. This feature is supported in all Mac apps, email clients, etc etc ... even dare I type, MS Word v15.40 (171108). But not InDesign (yet ... as of 13.0.1). Very disappointing for a s/w vendor that is otherwise at leading edge of all things creative design / innovative UIs ...
    - rob d

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Have a 2 program package for CC

Right now Adobe has an option to have Lightroom and Photoshop in a special photo CC package for $10. How about making it where you can choose any two programs? I don't need those two but I would easily upgrade may aging CS6 Indesign for a package like that.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Cloud services (Typekit, CC Libraries etc)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Better offline interactive products.

More and more product needs to be interactive.
    Indesign allows us to make beautiful interactive pdf's. But there's a problem, the i-pdf doesn't work on all pdf-viewers and pre-viewers. Only adobe-reader or opening in the browser, but not directly from for example Gmail.

Also some functions in indesign could work much better, for example the button; it work perfectly as an roll-over, but not as a click-go-to-pageX. Those functions should be usable together.
    Can we make an i-pdf feel like/work as an offline website?

And i would love to see more features/functions!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Auto saving to HTML.

Is it possible to simultaneously save to .idml at same time as saving to native Ind file format? Using tryout now and wanted to save any live work both ways so if I decide not to subscribe, I won't have to go back and save all docs to idml.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. when I export Arabic text file to epub3 fixed layout, all the punctuation marks coming at the beginning of the line rather than at the end.

when I export Arabic text file to epub3 fixed layout, all the punctuation marks coming at the beginning of the line rather than at the end.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  EPub  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. allow customers to choose a default font when opening new documents.

our organization uses a style guide of fonts that does NOT include Minion Pro. We would like to be able to customize our new documents with our font of choice

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

Feedback and Knowledge Base