1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Different line lengths with paragraph shading

Paragraph shading is great but even if you choose to set it to text instead of column, the length of each line is the same for all lines of the paragraph (the longest one). It would be great to have the ability to set it according to the length of each line. For now, you have to use paragraph rules wit a hard return at the end of each line.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Functionality to apply kerning before the first letter in a line

Feature Description: This feature should work like in Illustrator or Photoshop (even After Effects can do it). Please see attached screen capture.

How it should work:
    1. Insert the cursor before the first character in a line
    2. Use the kerning in the character panel or with the shortcuts (ALT + arrow keys)
    3. kerning should be applied

Why: This would be a productivity enhancement and make it much easier to optically align the first letter in a line manually without having to use the Optical Margin alignment that only works for a whole story.

103 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. PDF progress

Hi When exporting to PDF, would it be possible in the next available version to put a percentage figure in the top left of the toolbar (next the the pdf bars). This would save having to open the background panel to see the progress of the PDF creation. Thanks from an inpatient designer. H

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Adjust Layout - Off by default please.

Finding the new Adjust Layout in InDesign 2019 a bit of a liability as is turned ON by default.

Can you please add a setting to turn off globally and turn on only when needed? Currently doesn't seem possible.

Thanks

194 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

112 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update (14.0.2) of InDesign 2019.

If you are unable to see the update notification, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

The list of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Adobe InDesign team

5. Add Space Before on Column Top checkbox

Currently the ‘Space Before’ value is ignored when that paragraph appears on the top of any container—frame/column.

There are innumerable occasions when we need the above space settings to be honoured even when the paragraph appears on the top of the column. We InDesigners resort to various antics and workaround like keeping an ‘Invisible Rule Above’ or use a character style with extra leading etc..

It is very easily solved by a simple checkbox in the Indents and Spacing tab just below ‘Space Before’ selection which says ‘Add Space Before on column top’. If checked, the value will always be…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Fold marks in export settings for spreads

Hello,

I work with cover spreads quite a bit....3 facing pages. Back Cover-Spine-Front Cover. The printer I work with, a very large commercial printer, requests fold marks on the spine. They want them the same size/offset as the outer crop marks. When you have a spread and you check "crop marks" in the export settings, InDesign puts marks on the spine that are smaller and offset further away from the trim than the outer marks. They really do no good. I think it would be extremely beneficial if there was a "Fold Mark" option in the export settings for when…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. GPU acceleration in Windows PC

Hi! Why does GPU acceleration in InDesign only work on MAC? I have an extremely powerful Windows PC with next-generation Nvidia Quadro video card, and you just forgot about Windows PC users. Can't do like Ilustrator? Can't use GPU processing intelligence in InDesign? I work with huge two- and one-column footnote files with lots of AI and PSD images. But the lack of GPU acceleration is frustrating. Thank you!

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Group Layers

It would be an easy but valuable addition to be able to group layers in InDesign like we can do in Photoshop. That would allow various "versions" of a document to be turned off an on, as well as organizing more complex documents. We can group paragraph styles and swatches – why not layers? Palette items should be groupable across the board, for a consistent interface.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Book synchronize feature does not synchronize color groups

Color groups are not synchronized via the book feature. I'm happy that the colors inside the group are not lost but placed "normal" on the first level of the color panel.

But to have all book files with the same order even at the color panel would be great. So please make synchronizing work correctly even at this tiny thing.

Thanks to Heike Burch for discovering this issue.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Export from Pages Panel

The Pages panel — with pages selected — has a "print spreads/print pages" option in the contextual menu.

An option to export the selected spreads/pages to PDF would be useful, especially if it could be done seamlessly, without need for the Export Adobe PDF dialog.

Alternatively, the CMD-E shortcut with pages/spreads selected in the pages panel should bring up the Export Adobe PDF dialog with the selected page range already entered.

This would be especially useful when exporting contiguous pages!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Print Booklet needs to support booklets with more than 4-up, e.g., up to 6-up

Print Booklet needs to support booklets with more than 4-up, e.g., up to 6-up.
    The team I am part of produces many z-fold documents in excess of 4-up, often 5-up or 6-up. We need the functionality in Print Booklet to support that. The existing maximum 4-up just isn't enough/

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Full support to Mongolian vertical LTR and reading its font open type feature to combine characters

Full support to Mongolian vertical LTR and reading its font open type feature to combine characters. Currently using Mongolian Baiti or Noto Sans Mongolian fonts the characters in the words do not connect to the correct initial, medial or final forms. Only isolated forms are displayed. We tried any current settings but the characters do not combine. Is there a function to do this? We have not found any plug-ins so far. Perhaps it could be that the open type tables are not read which may be one reason for this. See the attached IndDesign file

36 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Why Is My Epson Printer Showing Offline in Windows 10

Having printing issues? Looking to realize How To Fix A Printer That Wont Print? At that point, connect with howtofixmyprinter.com. Show signs of improvement Printer Problems And Solutions from master professionals at a moderate cost.
    Visit here: https://www.errorsdoc.com/epson/solved-why-is-my-epson-printer-say-offline-in-windows-10/

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  HTML  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Export XMP metadata with exported JPG and PNG images

Currently, when you select a single placed image, and choose File > Export and export the selection as a JPG or PNG, any metadata that is present in the image (keywords, description, etc) does not appear in the exported image.

What I would like is that if a single image is selected to export, that InDesign would retain all the XMP metadata (or at least the keywords) applied to the image when the image is exported.

The reason this would be useful is that sometimes users will crop and scale an image in InDesign, and then want to export the…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Automaticly update old files after large update

After the last update(2020) of InDesign, i started creating a book file. When I loaded the files in the book file, all files had to manually be saved again in the new version of InDesign. When creating a book of more than 100 files, it is verry time consuming. To create alle the books(multiple each month whit files that are already created), i have more than 1000 files wich have to be updated to the latest file. To do this i have found a script wich make this less time consuming, but it is still a lot of work. I…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Detect metric system and offer A4, millimeters

It's pretty simple to detect the user country via the OS, so it would be very handy to start indesign with A4 and millimeter units, instead of letter and inches.

Currently, having a fresh install of inDesign, the default page size is letter. To start a new document with A4 is cumbersome. Not good at all, considering that the biggest part of the world uses the metric system and A-sized pages.

Forcing imperial units has no benefits at all, it only annoys the users outside US and Canada.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. InDesign Preflight should be pressready (default)

InDesign Preflight should be pressready (default)
    Bleed 3 mm, no low-resolution images,
    no RGB-swatches, no missing links or fonts,
    no missing glyphs.
    That would be great.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Link Lightroom Images to Indesign

Integrate Lightroom to Adobe Indesign. Allow Indesign import images from Adobe Lightroom

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  InDesign Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Rulers ON by default, as a choice

Would like to be able to turn rulers ON by default, no matter what document I'm opening, creating, whatever. I see this was mentioned in the Illustrator side, and it applies just as much for InDesign.

I know it's a simple key stroke away, but document after document after document, all day long, gets old quickly.

Thanks!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Add ''SAVE ALL'' and ''CLOSE ALL'' into INDESIGN ''File MENU''

Add ''SAVE ALL'' and ''CLOSE ALL'' into INDESIGN ''File MENU''. Using Indesign for years and years, I never see that the shortcut exists ! And past many time saving or cloqsing file by file. Don't you thik it could be a great idea to code it inthe FILE MENU of Indesign... It could be great when using Books and many files at the same time.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base