Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

How can we improve InDesign?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  PublishOnline  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Preview Checkbox in new document

Hi, Can you add the preview checkbox in the new document dialog box without going instead to preference and check the legacy dialog box.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Duplicate and Offset

I would like a way to override the keyboard shortcuts for "Duplicate and Offset." The shortcuts (option + arrow) are all too easy to hit while trying to navigate through text (using similar shortcuts). Many default shortcuts can be changed or deleted under Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts, but this set is not among them. For some reason the Mac OS doesn't permit shortcut changes to InDesign, either!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Background tasks and glyphs panel width matching other panels

I would love to be able to incorporate the Background tasks and glyphs panel width to my other panels.

These panels are too wide and so cannot be included in my sidebar

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. crashes on uploading docs

indesign crashes now that Iam using High Sierra. did not have frequent crashes with Sierra

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Scripts integration in the InDesign Templates

Currently we're running the scripts for particular templates separately, but it'll be good, if we have an option in InDesign to integrate those scripts in the same templates. So running of scripts will become mandatory without depending on the users to run.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Scripting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. One-click export profiles

I have to export documents with same content but different header/footer versions for different customers. I'm doing by manually switching master pages. This is not part of the export procedure, but still time consuming enough.
    When exporting, it would be nice to have one or mutliple one-click export profiles, like when you need a PDF for web publishing in 150dpi and passworded and another PDF for print in 300dpi, not passworded. My wish: Indesign shall store all settings for an export profile (including password, which it doesn't) and make them avilable as "Save as PDF from profile" with only a…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. I can open InDesign CS6 nor more: Code 4

If I want to open my documents with CS6, I work with CS6, there is permanent the failure code 4 and I can´t open it, but these documents are very important.

Wolfgang

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Intelligent color bleeding

Unless I am very wrong there's no option to Authomatically extend colours for the bleeding.

Of course to print and crop is necessary to add bleed and that involves placing images or extending them out of the margin.
    How is it possible, coming from the company of photoshop, that a function so simple, yet so important is not possible in indesign? It's as easy as extending any color touching the margins of the document to the bleed: copying pixel color information perpendicular to the document.

Of course the possibility of doing it manually should stay, but this feature is a…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Drag and drop Colors in the CC library

It has to be possible to drag and drop colors from the colors-panel into the cc library. At the moment I have to klick on the "+" …

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Now we have 'borders' and 'shading', can we have the ability to have transparencies on these?

Now that we have Borders and Shading, can we have the ability to have transparencies on these? Please?

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Provide visual feedback when dragging items between layers

At the moment when you drag the box from one layer to another you can't see if you've grabbed it until you let it go. It can be fiddly sometimes to select it because it's quite small, so the dot becoming "live" and moving as you drag it would be a real help.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Allow saving to previous version format

I upgraded from CC2017 to CC2018 (hoping it would fix some issues I've submitted elsewhere) not realizing that my co-workers who are still on CC2017 would then not be able to open my .indd files. Saving as .idml is a really, really suboptimal solution. I know other software I've had allows you to save in previous versions' formats; why can't you? Also, it would have been nice to know this would happen **before** I upgraded...

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. flowable sound in fixed Epub Layout

I would SO MUCH like to have the possibility to ad sound that is able to continue even if pages are turned when I export a file as Epub with fixed layout. I really need this option to be able to give readers of my childrens picturebook the possibility to listen to the book read aloud along with original background music.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  EPub  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Implement Function "Lock Styles"

It would be very helpful, time and costsaving if there were a function to "lock" e.g. all paragraph-styles. Subsequent all modifications in paragraph-styled-textes are only allowed by using (also locked) text-styles.

In Addition to that it should be possible to lock the complete "CTRL+T" menu in order to avoid any "uncontrolled modifications".

All meanderings/abberations in textes are mostly caused "by mistake" and it takes hours of hours to correct (and proof!) this in documents an big books.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. When flipping a path, being able to remove the flip attribute without actually Flipping so that type on path can be utilized without the fli

When flipping a path, being able to remove the flip attribute without actually Flipping so that type on path can be utilized without the flip

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Make a real collaboration with InDesign/InCopy via CC

It was hard to see, that InCopy is still using E-Mail to collaborate with editors on another place. I thought it's all in the CC!! For this is a must have: I'm sharing an InDesign-document (or parts of it) save it for my incopy-editor. The editor gets a notification (email or instant) and will open it and makes changes and new content, save it and the designer gets a notification that there is new content from editor xy. He can now accept this and the new content is inside the InDesign-document. Finish.
    But ash the moment it's very hard to…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  InCopy  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Your fourth amendment and first

Take my evidence and use it to your vantage or not I don’t care either way my lawyers and the FBI will be right behind me when I filed a motion for information regarding any and all correspondence pertaining me or around me in the nature of information act and prayed and in the democracy

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Easier crosschecking, resetting and copying throughout all styles

We are working with at least ten different paragraph styles per document. If there are changes to be made in the CIs we have to check every single style: Opening up the Paragraph Style Options window, changing, closing, next style, reapeat... forgetting something and opening all windows again to check.
    -> How about a button in the Paragraph Style Options window to jump to the previous or next style in the list? (might be useful to every kind of Style Option window)

In the Paragraph Style Options window there is a Reset to Base button only under General.
    -> I…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Span Columns: Let us enter "1"

Currently, when we go to Span Columns and type "1" we get an error.

It would be so great to be able to type "1" and have InDesign realize that we are wanting to, in effect, switch the paragraph layout from Span Columns to Single Columns.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

Feedback and Knowledge Base