Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

How can we improve InDesign?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Setting to automatically update links on Open

Allow an option/setting to disable the dialog when opening a document with updated links and if a link has been updated it updates or doesn't update it automatically based upon the User Setting.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Paste Variable text

In Find/Change have an option to paste a variable. I will often search for a word and then need to paste a variable. Currently I have to right-click the results, choose Insert Variable, and then choose the variable.

Do that 10 times when a writer forgets to use a variable, replace all would be great.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow Linking of Conditional Text and Object Layers

Why not allow linking of conditional text conditions to an objects layers or layer comps. This could be done through the object layer options dialog, where you could have the ability to connect existing conditions to an object, by having a tick box to enable the functionality for that specific object. You could then when it is ticked link the conditions to specific object layers or comps in the object layers dialog box.

I appreciate the name conditional text clearly implies it's text, but it would save time in some cases to have image layers hide and show automatically when…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Do not recalculate values entered into fields in other units

When I enter a leading in mm, InDesign will always recalculate to pt. Please give us the possibility, that InDesign does not recalculate values entered in other units.

Or at least give us the possibility to change the field value into different units. Now I have to blindly try out or use my calculator if I see a leading of »12,756 Pt« – is it 4,5mm or 4,45mm or what?

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Prevent multiple sound files on a page from playing at the same time in an Interactive PDF

Have 2 buttons on a page in indesign cc 2018, each starts a sound file playing, if reader clicks on one and then the second both files play at the same time. I want to click on one button and have it play a sound file and turn off the other sound files if they are playing. Think of it as a menu of sound files in a list but I want only one to be allowed to play at a time.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Implement Chart- and Diagramfunction

Implement a Chart- and Diagramfunction based on a linked XLS.

Reason:
    Technical Data for Products is often managed in XLS and Engineers create all kind of charts and diagramms directly in XLS.
    Unfortunately it is not possible to import those XLS-charts in InDesign! There are serveral solutions possible, e.g. via PDF, but these are only "dirty-tricks" and they are all not sustainable at all. In the best case the charts and diagramms look ugly.
    While it is possible to link/import XLS-Data, it should be possible to create charts and diagrams directly in InDesign, as Illustrator already does (similar, not nice…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Batch Single Page PDF Creation

Please add an option to export ranges of pages as single page PDF files from Indesign like Illustrator(save individual artboards). This would simplfy sending pages to assembly station for imposition and corrections afterward.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Closed: Fixed  ·  Anonymous responded

Hi All, this feature is now available in the latest version of InDesign i.e. InDesign 13.1

Kindly update InDesign to get access to this feature.

Regards
    Javed

8. Make colour space CMYK not RGB!

Since InDesign is used for printing out things, having the option to change the colour space from RGB to CMYK would be great, as trying to select a colour using colours that aren't in the CMYK gamut is annoying as heck

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. PDF export profiles shall store all settings

Until now, coming from CS2, Indesign was not able to store the security settings in a PDF export profile. Every time when exporting a PDF I have to set these settings manually, plus the password. I know I could do that in Acrobat with an action, but that's only worth doing when exporting more than two files at once. The same PDF profiles could also be used by Distiller when converting EPS to PDF by drag 'n drop, so the target PDF would always be password protected. I call this automation.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Contour mangement as illustrator

It would be awesome if the size of the shape doesn't matter of the size of the contour. For example, if i draw a 10x10cm square in illustrator, the size is the same with 0pt contour or 20pt contour.
    Bur in Indesign, the size is 10x10cm only if there is a1pt contour, and 10,7x10,7 if there is a 20pt contour. It is very disturbing when you have to create a cutting shape.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. "Ignore Text Wrap" checkbox in Toolbar / Accessible in Quick Apply

1. A box in the Toolbar to check "Ignore text wrap" - for this box; And either/or make the command accessible in the quick apply list.

2. I find that I am doing this a lot to play around with designs to adapt - or not - to a image run-around. I don't want to have to find if there is a shortcut that might address this or a script.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Edit undo on specific object or page

It would be great to be able to select an object or page and undo the last change that you made to it.

I think this would be good in illustrator too.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. full folder information when opening an existing InDesign file

When I try to open an existing InDesign document from inside the InDesign program I don't get the full range of folders (1). This does not change when going to an upper level and into the detail again despite there is an original InDesign file in one of the hidden folders. I have to go to Windows explorer (2 and 3) to start the file.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Showing open book files on Start workspace

Situation now:
    When opening a book file Indesign adds a book panel showing all contained documents. You can then open documents through this panel. I usually dock the panel to the right with my other panels to keep the workspace tight and clean.

But now the tricky part:
    When I close all documents I've set Indesign to return to the Start workspace. This shift to another workspace makes the book panel disappear as well (since it is docked with the other panels). I have to go to the menus to find the panel again.
    I guess the reason for this…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Add "Page" to the "Search in:" options, for both Find/Change and Spell Check

In Find/Change and Spell Check dialogs, we have ability to search within a [Story] [To end of story] [Selection] or [Document]. I would like to see [Current Page] added that options list. Even better would be the ability to specify a [Page Range XX-XX]

[Story] is too specific when we have a bunch of separate text boxes to search through. And [Document] is often way too broad for large documents, and it also searches master pages that we may not wish to search. [Current Page] or [Page Range] would be a really nice middle-ground for both regular Find/Changes and Spell…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Footnote numbering options for EPUB export

When exporting a single story into EPUB (2 or 3), the footnotes are numbered from 1 to x over all xhtml files with no chance to control their numbering. The footnote numbering options from within InDesign (per page, per section, etc.) should be respected while exporting.

Alternatively there should be some appropriate options in the export panel.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  EPub  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Replace white background color with transparency

Quark X Press is able to replace the white background color of a placed TIFF image with transparency - this is the only feature I miss in InDesign.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. color labels onto style-groups

I would appreciate to have the possibility giving colors to style groups. Like the layer-labels in Photoshop. If you have many styles, you would have a better optical separation.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Variable for dimensions

It would be very useful to have a text variable for dimensions of the page/trimbox/bleedbox or even for objects (along the lines of a caption).

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Script Label Manager

We use scripts and script labels on a daily basis! It would be absolutely FANTASTIC to have a window (similar to LINKS) that when opened, displays ALL script labels in the board/file, along with a link to where it is in the page (selects the item that's labelled).

It is extremely tedious to use script labels when there is no way to properly organize and manage them.

Please please make this Script Label Manager a feature!

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Scripting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

Feedback and Knowledge Base