1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Bold & Underline Styles.

CMD+B and CMD+U to cycle through Bold or Underline Styles through a popup window would be handy.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Option for fly-out menus to open to the right.

Would it be possible to have an option for the fly-out menus to open to the right to keep the live page area fully visible? It's hard working on spreads in book interiors because any window open covers part of the text. If I have room to shift the spread over, InDesign automatically re-centers the spread when I turn to the next page. (Sample window was chosen in PNG because it's generic.)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Auto Hyperlinks for Phone numbers

Applies to all export options that use Hyperlinks. Please update the Hyperlinks panel to also search Phone numbers. Include Ability to determine which numbers are local, or require the +1. Also include ability to see based on format (( i.e "ddd.ddd.dddd," "ddd-ddd-dddd", "(ddd) ddd-dddd" ).

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. add effects to paragraph shading/frame

This CC 2018 Update is fantastic!

1. The only thing I am missing is the lack of possibility to add effects like shadows, on paragraph shadings and frames.

2. This would be extremely helpful for a heavy-graphical CI, where text - spanning over more than one column or frame - must be underlaid with shadowed frames. Actually, when page breaks are to be corrected, I have to adjust those background frames manually, which is quite time-consuming.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Auto numbering of poetry verses

Add the ability to automatically number poetry and drama every 5 or 10 lines or paragraphs

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow Linking of Conditional Text and Object Layers

Why not allow linking of conditional text conditions to an objects layers or layer comps. This could be done through the object layer options dialog, where you could have the ability to connect existing conditions to an object, by having a tick box to enable the functionality for that specific object. You could then when it is ticked link the conditions to specific object layers or comps in the object layers dialog box.

I appreciate the name conditional text clearly implies it's text, but it would save time in some cases to have image layers hide and show automatically when…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Background tasks and glyphs panel width matching other panels

I would love to be able to incorporate the Background tasks and glyphs panel width to my other panels.

These panels are too wide and so cannot be included in my sidebar

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Use regular selection tool with grouped objects

I would like to be able to select multiple objects within a group using the regular Selection Tool. Currently InDesign only allows me to select 2 items within a group. If I try to select a third object it "exits" the group. The Direct Selection Tool allows me to select multiple grouped objects, but will sometimes select just a vertex or other sub-element of an object. It would be great if the regular selection tool could select as much content within a group as desired. Thanks!

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Countdown page numbering

I needed to start a book with the highest number to the lower, but it's not possible to start a page from 200 until 1 instead of 1 to 200.
    Could a nice function also for double language book with right reading languages and left reading languages.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Media Controller Preview

Something that shows the user what the controllers they are selecting for a video looks like. I change the options and try the Interactivity preview but nothing changes. Reading a description on the help page of what the items in the list mean isn't helping either. A better naming system and a visual preview would be way better here.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Make embedded audio InDesign's EPUB3 files fully compatible with Google Play Books platform

Embedded audio in EPUB3 documents created with InDesign is not recognised when the EPUB3 document is published via the Google Play Books platform. This is due to incompatible ID tags. InDesign exports this:
    <audio id="idAudio001"
    but Google Play Books requires:
    IDs must start with a letter ([A-Z,a-z]) and may be followed by any number of letters, digits ([0-9]), hyphens ("-"), underscores ("
    "), colons (":"), and periods (".")

Currently this makes it impossible to use InDesign to create an EPUB3 with embedded audio and publish it correctly via the Google Play Books platform.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  EPub  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. improving master page functionality

It would be super helpful if i could create a master page with regions of text and then apply that to pages. Then, those regions could be edited in the page with the correct information, but if i needed to edit the placement of the stuff, i could change it in the master and it would sync to the page.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Reopen color theme floating palettes

I have a workbook/training document that has sections, and each section uses a different color scheme. I used the Color Theme tool to create the different color themes for the various sections. But with each new theme, I lost the preceding floating palette. It would be so helpful to be able to reopen a color theme floating palette that is based on a theme you saved in the Swatches panel. It would be more convenient to drag the floating palette around the screen (near to the objects where you want to apply fill or stroke) than to have to undock,…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Support for .oam files in interactive pdf‘s

Wouldn’t it be great if you could publish an interactive Pdf and have the ability to see some basic animation to help tell your desired story? I’m not talking about an ePub here, or an outdated flash file. I’m suggesting that a widely accepted format across multiple platforms, the Pdf, should have the capability to play an lightweight animation / .oam / .gif rather than only be able to have a huge .mp4, with massive compression!

Surely by now we could have some nice .svg animation. Is html5 able to be implemented into in design? There must be a relatively…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Option to open file path after PDF export

Could the PDF export dialog box have an option alonside 'View PDF after exporting' for something like, 'View file in finder after export', so that I can really quickly send the file in an email.

Or even 'Send file after export' so that I can super quickly flick the file off to our account managers?

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Improve override & "mixed overrides" notice on paragraph styles: give useful info

If a paragraph has some override(s) in it that do not affect the entire paragraph, you'll see the little paragraph symbol at the bottom of the panel light up. This tells you there's an override. No + sign will appear next to the paragraph style name, though, unless the cursor happens to be in text that has the override. For example, if one word is in italics but your cursor is elsewhere in the paragraph, you don't have any way to know what the override is. If you select the entire paragraph, the + appears, but when you hover over…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Make the standard fonts within InDesign and other Adobe design softwares ALL the same across both the Mac and PC platforms.

I am a college student studying graphic design. In my classes the school provides Apple Mac computers to do our in class work. However, I own a Windows Surface Laptop. So when I need to finish projects outside of the classroom it is very frustrating to choose a font on the Mac only to have it changed because the font is not available/has to be imported on the Windows PC (vice versa). I understand that the platforms are very different from each other, but it is the same software. How hard can it be for Adobe to make the fonts…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Ad the possibility to have Paragraph Style add a break before or after

In many cases, I want a break after or before a Paragraph with a certain style. e.g.: a chapter heading often needs a Page Break before.
    How convenient would it be when this is integrated in a Paragraph Style!

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Please implement support for fast entry of Mac OS accented chars asap

Mac OSX now supports accents very cleanly and simply c/o press and hold briefly (a, e whatever) then your accent choices display as in the attached screengrab. This feature is supported in all Mac apps, email clients, etc etc ... even dare I type, MS Word v15.40 (171108). But not InDesign (yet ... as of 13.0.1). Very disappointing for a s/w vendor that is otherwise at leading edge of all things creative design / innovative UIs ...
    - rob d

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Turn off 'missing fonts' alert

A setting (with no docs open) that says "don't alert me to missing fonts" when I open a doc. It would be just like the "don't ask me about missing links" setting - which we like in the studio. Because sometimes we need to check lots of docs for something (could be a house style thing, a find-replace thing, a colour check thing etc) but don't want to be 'font-alerted' at this stage. The warning seems too pedantic when we're nowhere near final production stages...

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base