1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Remove first line indent after a heading

We need an option to set First Line Indent to zero when a paragraph follows a heading.

For example, perhaps you have Head1, Head2, and BodyText. Head2 is based on Head1. BodyText has a first line indent. My suggestion is that InDesign should have a checkbox labeled "Set first line indent to zero when following:" and then provide a list of paragraph styles in the document.

You could either allow people to choose Head1 AND Head2 (multiple selection list), or you could allow them to choose Head1 and it would automatically apply to Head2 because that is based on Head1.

73 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

18 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. STOP REQUIRING AN ADOBE ID to Review

1st this Review feature is long overdue. other updates and features are also long overdue. Sharing needs to be easier!!! Many clients, producers, freelance artists and brand owners are not Adobe users and they do not adopt things they don't understand right away. we need a way to share and review work that isn't just recruiting for adobe. pay attention to your subscribers needs not more barriers. The subscription model has been the empty shell everyone feared it would be and you all have no motivation to update adequate solutions

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Share for Review  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Workspace Sync across devices

Have your Workspace for all Adobe applications saved in your CC account. Like many others, I work off and sign into more than 1 computer (3 in my case). It would be great if I'm signed-in and can see my saved workspace already allocated in the application. Instead of re-tweaking my Workspace manually on every device.

Computers crash, major updates happen, and every-time we lose our settings, just a nice addition to add for the users.

Thanks so much, keep up the good work.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Equations and Citations and Bibliography Feautures

Bring the most desired features such as Equations and Citations and Bibliography fields as in Word. Currently I am writing my dessertation and I have to insert my reference list the hard way and I can't even type my mathematical equations as it should be typed.

InDesign CC doesn't bring features for that (so that I don't have to rewrite references each time I need) neither to insert mathematical equation as in Word. WORD DOES IT BETTER!

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Borders on cells in a table

When adding a border (a stroke) to a cell-style for a table, I think it would be very usefull you can actually align the position of that stroke towards the cellframe. Like, for text-frames or image-frames you can choose "inside, outside or in the middle". For tables/cells, you can not. I often have to use a paragraph style with a paragraph border to get "more accurate" results. My screenshot will explain better.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Better justification using OpenType Variable Font width axis

Please improve the justification options in InDesign. Variable font width axis could significantly contribute to better text justification – see the attached example.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Improve Preflight

Isn’t it about time for an update and some enhancements to this great feature? Some suggestions:

1. Change the default Preflight Profile to something realistic for quality printing. The absence of warnings is misleading, making people think that everything is fine.

2. Divide the check for “Protected fonts” into two categories: 1. Fonts which do not allow embedding in PDF, 2. Activated Adobe fonts (the existing behaviour of flagging Adobe fonts as “not allowed” causes a lot of confusion)

3. Change the wording “Transparency not allowed” to just “Transparency”
      Transparency is rarely a problem nowadays, though it is still good to check whether…
    6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. share for review track changes

If you add a "track changes" option in the share for review function, it will be super! Now my clients mark things to be changed (mostly textual corrections) and when i've marked them as done, the marking is gone, so the client can't verify that the changes are made the way they wanted.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Share for Review  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Working with multiple files - When a file is closed, rather than skipping to the last file, got to the next file in order

Description:

I have multiple files open at once.

When finished working on the first, if I close it, InDesign will skip to the last file that was opened, rather the next file in the order.

See attached - I closed “untitled 1” and it skipped to “untitled 5” rather than going to “untitled 2” which is next in line.

Why this would be valuable:

This interrupts an expected workflow to InDesign's usual left to right UI direction.

InDesign allows users to reorder the file tabs to suit their needs. Skipping to the end file in unexpected behaviour and switching back…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. History panel a la Photoshop

Photoshop has a history panel, extremely useful when undoing edits, or simply reviewing them, etc. This would be awesome in InDesign, and all other Adobe programs too.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Ability to print and/or download proofs

I have some clients that like to print hard copies of their proofs. Before the 'Share for Review" feature, it was a lot of pdf's making made and uploaded, which tended to crash my InDesign, so I do enjoy not having to create so many, and having one link throughout the process.
    However, there is no option for the client to download a pdf or to print the pages directly from the proof... so then I'm back to making pdf's again. That is the only thing so far my clients seem unhappy about with the new proofing system, is the…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Share for Review  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Rotate pages feature neccesary for Share for Review

My file for printing has to be horizontal (it opens up, its a calendar), so I rotate the view 90 degrees for working. When I share for review, my coworkers see the file horizontal and cannot rotate the pages on the Acrobat preview, also I cannot rotate or do something so they can view it differently, so our calendar is being reviewed with lots of neck straing.

Please do something!

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Share for Review  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Store GREP strings in Library

I often have to use the same long GREP strings in multiple documents and for multiple projects (eg. custom targeting of words and/or characters at the end of a paragraph to avoid orphans). Depending on the context, it can get complicated. I currently have a spreadsheet so I don't have to reformulate every time I need one, but I would like to store them as easily as character or paragraph styles so I can reference them again and again.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add support for language based typographic rules

Each language has its own set of traditional rules related to hyphens, dashes, quotation marks, punctuation, hyphenation, spaces etc. Most of the rules are pretty simple and it is very easy to apply them using a list of search-replace sequences.

To significantly improve the quality of typesetting, Adobe should provide users a tool to clean up texts (remove additional spaces for instance) and create output matching the style guides and orthographic rules.

The rules should be defined for each language and/or region. There are different quotation marks in German used in Germany or in Switzerland; in French used in France…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add real Next Page Number / Previous Page Number

At present, Next Page Number and Previous Page Number actually means Next Text Frame Page Number / Previous Text Frame Page Number. It is very confusing. I suggest to add real Next Page Number / Previous Page Number which would add – surprise! – next page number and previous page number to the text.
    It would be very helpful, in situations you want to have page numbers only at one page of a spread (10/11, 12–13 etc). At the moment, there is only a stupid and slow workaround with linked text frames, which does not work in every situations.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Complete integration of InDesign Form and Acrobat Form

Scenario: The client needs content changes after approving design/form process -- that means I scrap all of my acrobat calculations in the form fields to make the changes in InDesign.

It would be great(!) if InDesign supported either a "round-trip" editing process or has all of the features of Acrobat forms. I really don't care to edit in Acrobat, because InDesign is far superior for layout of complicated forms, with more editing tools, master pages, layers, etc.

As a side note, I think a really great feature would include a "form cell" style, for both character and paragraph. It is…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Share for review - A Great New Feature

I just started testing the new Share for Review and am really liking it so far - very smooth and an upgrade over the Publish online feature which I tried but found was no better than just saving a PDF to the cloud and sharing that. I like that in Share for Review I can just hit update on an active document. I am hoping over time to see the following added to this great new feature:

• The ability to allow clients to download a PDF version

• More Annotation tools (Highlights, cross-out, underlines, etc...)

• The Ability to Create Versions

• Bonus…
    13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Share for Review  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Remove color group folder when all swatches in it are selected by "Select all unused"

If all swatches are selected in a group folder by using the "Select all unused" option, also remove the group folder. This will make the workflow for cleaning up the swatches faster by only taking one action instead of also having to remove an empty group folder.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Allow for selecting a set of Links for relinking, not just parent link or individual link

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/quot-how-may-i-select-multiple-links-for-re-linking/m-p/11682784?page=1#M407985

Looking to perform "Select Multiple Link Replacement”

Right now I can Re Link Parent Link (of ALL Instances) and change 1000 instances of an image.

Right Now I can Relink ONE individual “Child” instance or ONE image at a time.

But I cannot SELECT and RELINK Multiple Selected Links (example: 10 out of the 1000) SELECT instances of an image.

The only way to presently do this is to highlight the 10 instances and then Relink them one by one where a dialogue box opens and requires me to repeat the link process and click OK all 10 times.…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Endnotes should have the same renumbering options as footnotes

Footnotes can be set to renumber every SECTION. This is OK, but could be improved (see below).
    However, endnotes can only be set to renumber every STORY. This is a most undesirable limitation, because it requires breaking text threads in order to create new stories. This is destructive design—to limit potential problems it is necessary to wait until layout is completed before breaking threads. Even then, problems can still occur.
    This problem could easily be fixed by allowing endnotes to be renumbered the same ways as footnotes can be—every section.
    Of course, renumbering every section also has a significant limitation—it…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base