Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

  1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

7730 results found

  1. Alt-text issue: InDesign 21.6 is not recognizing metadata fields filled in on Photoshop files

    Just with ID 21.6, this stopped working! I have gen AI turned off. I'm importing images from Photoshop. All the metadata is filled in: Author, Description, Keywords, Copyright, etc. Then I Export > Save for Web, all data except camera info. Then Place in InDesign. When I go to set the alt-text in Object Export Options and specify from XMP:Description, ID tells me there is no data there! I know it is there because I just typed it in! This literally worked just last week on this same file, now it's stopped working.

    Expected result: that the alt-text I've already…

    1 vote

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    0 comments  ·  Accessibility  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Pop ups in indesign ebook. I have created an ebook with clear placeholders for playing videos. but it plays as popup

    when there are placeholders for video, it should only play there once the button is triggered. Idea is to read text and also watch video. If the videos come as pop-ups it is very irritating. This was not there earlier. Please resolve

    1 vote

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Helvetica(TT)

    Helvetica (TT) fonts are not recognized in Adobe 2026 (version--21.6) on windows and mac platforms.

    They are working perfectly in Adobe 2024 (version 19.5.5) on both platforms

    Can we make sure all true type fonts work in Adobe 2026 as well

    1 vote

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Open file after failed open lock

    InDesign 2026 (21.5) freezes or hangs when opening a file in the same session as a previously failed open of the same file.

    The file is located on a network share that provides native .indd locking support.

    1. User A opens the file.
    2. User B attempt to open the file and received a warning that the file is locked. Success.
    3. User B leaves InDesign open.
    4. User A Saves and Quits. .idlk disappears. Lock disappears.
    5. User B attempts to open the file, it opens and is visible in the InDesign UX. But you cannot interact with the file because there is a…
    1 vote

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Style Packs tab will not remain closed upon app restart

    The Style Packs feature I never use... I'm a traditional InDesign user.
    I see its usefulness, but the problem is in Essentials Classic, I cannot get the Style Packs Window tab to remain closed. I close the Tab in InDesign, and when I restart InDesign, it comes right back in this workflow.

    I want it GONE. I accidentally click it all the time and mess up the styles I have created when I do so. Tabs should REMAIN closed when closed, so there's a bug here.

    1 vote

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Problems with variable fonts again in 21.6 version

    OMG... old problem again in new InDesign version. (21.6) If I set wariable font to custom weight, (in my case Font is "Josefin Sans", in 700 weight) - I simply can not save the file. What a nonsence!!!!! please fix this ASAP.

    1 vote

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Problems with variable fonts again in 21.6 version

    OMG... old problem again in new InDesign version. (21.6) If I set wariable font to custom weight, (in my case Font is "Josefin Sans", in 700 weight) - I simply can not save the file. What a nonsence!!!!! please fix this ASAP.

    1 vote

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. PDF security permissions password

    With the new macOS Golden Gate 27.0 (and via the most up to date ID 21.6) when exporting to PDF from InDesign, there appears to be a bug which prevents you keying in a Permissions Password. The cursor is present in the box, but you are unable to type.

    This is imperative in our industry, when generating printing proofs. Please fix :-)

    1 vote

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. InDesign: Add Search / Filter Bar inside the Book Panel to easily locate documents and pages

    Feature Request: Add a Search and Filter Bar to the Book Panel (.indb)

    Category / Tags
    Book Panel | UI & Navigation | Document Management | Workflow Optimization

    Proposal Body
    The Problem:
    Navigating large InDesign Book files (.indb) containing dozens of documents and hundreds of pages is currently slow and inefficient. When managing large-scale editorial projects (catalogues, textbooks, manuals), locating a specific .indd chapter or finding which file contains a precise page number requires tedious manual scrolling through the Book panel.

    Proposed Feature:
    Add a dedicated Search/Filter Bar at the top or bottom of the Book Panel (modeled after the…

    1 vote

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Macos27 and mouse behavior

    I know, I should have waited, but it's good for the dev team to know. Since updating to macOS 27, mouse behavior seems to conflict with InDesign, and to some extent system-wide, but InDesign seems to be affected the most. The cursor is jumpy and feels sluggish. (Small) menu items don't stay open when I need them, and pop-ups close unexpectedly (normally one click opens them and a second click confirms and closes them).
    MacBook Pro M4 • macOS27 • InDesign 21.6 • Logitech MX4 mouse on bluetooth (ordered Logi Bolt receiver and a new -non-Logitech- mouse too; will test…

    1 vote

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. InDesign 21.6 does not restore Last Used Settings from macOS print dialog with Canon PS driver

    I am using Adobe InDesign 21.6 on macOS Tahoe 26.7 with a Canon imagePRESS C650/C750 using Canon PS Printer Driver & Utilities 4.17.25.

    The Canon printer driver itself works correctly. When printing from Apple Preview, all printer-specific settings are correctly remembered under “Last Used Settings”, including paper source, simplex/duplex, resolution, brightness and toner density adjustments.

    The problem occurs only when the macOS printer dialog is opened from Adobe InDesign.

    Environment

    Adobe InDesign 21.6
    macOS Tahoe 26.7
    Intel iMac 27" 2020
    Canon imagePRESS C650
    Canon iPR C750 PS driver
    Canon PS Printer Driver & Utilities 4.17.25
    Printer connected via TCP/IP /…

    1 vote

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Minimised panels not expanding when file opened via Windows Explorer

    Using Indesign 21.6 x64, and when InDesign is already running - when double clicking an indd file in Windows Explorer (to open the file in InDesign), the minimized panel icons I have as part of my custom workspace do not open when clicked.

    I need to close InDesign and restart, then open the file from within InDesign and then these minimized panels will expand when clicked as expected. Even if all is working as expected (panels expanding on click because I opened file via InDesign), and then if I open a file from Windows Explorer all panels stop opening on…

    1 vote

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. text missing

    Hi,

    System:
    MacBook Pro 16-inch (2021) Apple M1 Pro 16 GB RAM macOS Sonoma 14.6.1

    InDesign 2026

    When I open this file in InDesign 2026, the document opens, but the text and graphics are not visible on several pages.

    I don’t know when exactly this happened. I didn’t notice any crash, error message, or problem while saving the file.

    What I have tried:

    • Switched between GPU and CPU Preview — no change.
    • Changed the display settings — no change.
    • Opened the file in InDesign 2025. After conversion, some of the text and graphics become visible, but a lot of the…
    1 vote

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. split layout view doesn't work anymore

    This morning, InDesign was updated (version 21.6), and the split layout view no longer works—or rather, it works only partially: the open document remains visible only on the left side, while the right side of the window is blank. I checked the zoom and page alignment, but nothing is visible.
    I’m working on Windows 11. I have already tried the basic troubleshooting steps, including deleting the cache and preferences. I even uninstalled and reinstalled InDesign, but the issue still persists.

    1 vote

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. 1 vote

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    0 comments  ·  Adjust Layout  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. freeze

    InDesign freezes when clicking a menu item before it becomes highlighted

    I have encountered a reproducible UI bug in the latest version of Adobe InDesign on macOS Sequoia.

    The issue occurs when using the application menus:

    1. Open a menu (for example Layout).
    2. Move the mouse to a menu item, but click very quickly, before the item has had time to become highlighted/active.
    3. If the click lands in the area of the menu item while it is still not highlighted, InDesign may immediately become completely unresponsive.
    4. The application cannot be interacted with anymore and has to be force-quit (…
    1 vote

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Undo completely greyed out and Command-Z will not work

    As described^ even force quit the application and opened holding command+option+control+shift. This only allowed me to undo once before greying out the Undo button under Edit and failing to do anything when I clicked Command-Z. Is this part of the new software update?

    Have InDesign v 21.5.1

    1 vote

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. 21.5.1 crash on startup

    21.5.1 crashes on startup on my Mac OS computer when it get to the point where it reads plug ins.

    Intel Mac on MacOS 26.6.2 (25G83).

    1 vote

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Bug: Span footnotes across columns does not print correctly via direct printing, only works via PDF export

    InDesign 21.5.1

    INFORME DE ERROR TÉCNICO (BUG REPORT) — ADOBE INDESIGN

    Dirigido a: Adobe Systems Incorporated (InDesign Engineering & Development Team)

    Asunto: Fallo crítico en el renderizado de impresión directa de notas al pie expandidas entre columnas (Span Footnotes Across Columns)

    Estado: Error reproducible en entornos de producción


    1. RESUMEN DEL PROBLEMA (SUMMARY)

    Existe un fallo grave en el motor de impresión directa (Direct Print Engine) de Adobe InDesign al procesar marcos de texto multicolumna con la opción "Expandir notas al pie entre columnas" (Span Footnotes Across Columns) activada.

    Al enviar el documento directamente a una…

    1 vote

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    0 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. fonts InDesign

    I have one machine on Windows 11 and one on Windows 10 both on version 21.4 and the problem isn't fixed. I still get errors for the Calibri

    1 vote

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?