Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Placing illustrator files is very very very slow after update

After updating AI and INDD, placing AI files into INDD is taking a very long time. I made an update to an AI file that was placed into an existing INDD files that contains 13 placed AI files. I only updated a few of the linked AI files. Prior to the AI and INDD update, updating these placed links took a few seconds each max. Now, just to update the two links takes about 2 minutes.

This MAY be an AI bug, but I don't know how make that determination as I updated bothat the same time.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Need more info  ·  0 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Color Mode listings are all out of order

The order of Color Mode options (Pantone, TOYO, etc.) are listed in a seemingly random order after updating to InDesign CC 2018 (13.0).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. IndDesign CC2018

When copying an item, it keeps crashing. Just updated to the most recent version of 13.1, still crashes upon copying.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)
    We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

4. interactive button

I can't get the interactive button working on Epub preview, Epub export, or publish online. Either to activate an animation or the different appearances.

I've try reinstalling indesign CC 2018, and it till won't work.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Text rendered bold when using transparencies

When using transparent boxes or png images, InDesign will randomly render some text bold. This occurs both on screen and when printing. The only way to avoid it is by not using transparencies, which is annoying. People have been complaining about this since 2011! Get your sh*t together adobe. Come on.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Effects/Transparency  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. gpu performance not working

This literally just started happening today. I have not installed ANY new anything.
    I'm running a new Macbook Pro (sept 2017), with 16g RAM, 2 TB SDD (with plenty of room on it) Graphics processor is Radeon Pro 560 4 GB
    Intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB, running High Sierra 10.13.1.
    Running latest version of InDesign CC 2018 build 13.0.1
    As of about an hour ago, I can no longer use the animated zoom or GPU performance. Everything on the screen disappears and you can see the rulers moving as I try to zoom in/out or try to scroll pages.…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Need more info  ·  Sumit Garg responded

Hi ,

Are you facing this issue for all the document. If yes, can you please send us one of your sample document for analysis. This will help us in isolating the actual root cause.
    If issue is specific to some documents then please share these documents for analysis.

You can send us your packaged document with assets to “sharewithID@adobe.com” email address.

7. grep query doesn't work to delete multiple page breaks

Hi,
    I wanted to delete all page breaks (manual, odd, even) in an InDesign document with Grep:

Find: [~P~L~E]+
    Replace: \r

This query doesn't work, it finds nothing.
    If I use one by one it's prefect. What' wrong?

(Attached test-file)

Best regards,

Egyed Serf

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Number list auto-numbering issues

We found one of the critical issues for auto-number list. We don't know how number removed automatically.

It will be visible if we made any changes in particular para, ex: we change any style and revert back to list style. Please check and fix such issues to avoid content loss during typesetting process.

I've attached screen shot and InDesign file for your better under standing. Refer page 18.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Moving objects between layers using the layers panel doesn't always work

I struggle with moving objects between different layers in an InDesign document by using the layers panel. Often it takes two or more attempts to move objects. I wonder if it's the tolerance of the buttons or if this is genuinely a bug.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Using Text Wrap causes InDesign to crash!

When I use the text wrap or copy/paste an object with text wrap applied, the program crashes.

I noticed this is only happening when I attempt to add them to a page that includes a table in it.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

11. styles don't export to pdf tags

All my paragraph styles are set to automatic for export options. When I export to pdf 99.9% comes over as 'span' in the reading order structure, not what it is supposed to be.

There is the occasional H3 for some reason on some versions exported. Appears totally random. None on attached sample.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Wrong characters exported to PDF.

My InDesign-Document uses 1 font only. After exporting a PDF, some character-combinations are replaced by a special character (see Screenshot). After closing and re-opening the document, the error doesn't appear again and the PDF file is exported normally.

InDesign Mac CC 2018 (13.0.1)
    OS X Sierra 12.12.5
    Monotype Fontexplorer 6.0.3

Thank you all!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released InDesign CC2019.0.2 with lot of stability fixes. If you are not on 14.0.2.324 then I would recommend you to upgrade to latest version as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If Yes, Can you please provide the document(s)/asset(s)? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)
    • Does Trashing preference and cache, please create a backup of Preference and cache before trashing them, help to resolve the issue?

Adobe InDesign Team

13. InDesign 13.0.1 Crashes when saving older documents

InDesign crashes when saving older documents to the newest version. Any suggestions? Fix?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

14. Trying to copy any item or group of items crashes InDesign

Attempting to copy any item or group of items to the pasteboard in InDesign crashes the application.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Adobe InDesign Team

15. doesn't recognize new files copied to my hard drive

latest InDesign CC doesn't show new files copied to my hard drive - If I re-name files it shows the old name - no phone no chat no thing!

I can confirm files are there with explorer but when I go FILE OPEN they aren't there - tried copying to other directories - still not there - tried re-booting, closing opening program again all that

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)

Adobe InDesign team

16. alt text

Also category: Accessibility

I'm having a problem with the PDF tags when applying alt text to a group of items- a feature introduced in the most recent version of Indesign. Even though our articles panel shows separate articles, ALL of the content that comes AFTER a group tagged with alt text will have their exported tags all appear nested within that group as well, ignoring the structure set up in the Article panel. For example:

Article 1

Group with alt tag

item in group

Item in group

more content

Article 2

Article 2 content

Will in the exported PDF appear…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Changing color space won't change swatches

BUG NOT IDEA
    convert cmyk document to rgb. Swatches won't change. Can change custom but black stays CMYK which is different than RGB 000.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Find/change: Search popup—not all options show

Many times, I have gone to the Find/Change dialog box and not seen any options in the Search popup other than "All Documents or "Document."

"Story," "End of Story," etc. are missing.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. InDesign crashes while moving pages between 2 documents

when I use the "move pages" command the program stops responding and stops working. I'm from Brazil, and I'm using google translator.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

20. Font size of colored menu items becomes too low on high-res devices

I prefer customizing my menu and colorizing but the menu text does not align up quiet neatly in my InDesign CC 2018, same issues can also be seen at some context menu like the Layer panel

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base