Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Mouse-click in menus becomes disabled

InDesign 12.1.0.56; macOS Sierra 10.12.5; Magic Mouse

The issue varies with any file. I have mostly seen this occur when in the Find/Change window, or when I try and select a font. My mouse will not be able to click (select) anything in the drop down menus. I am able to select with my keyboard by using the arrows and "return" key. To get the mouse to click (select) an option from a drop down menu, I must first restart InDesign and then open the same file.

75 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

94 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. new document preview crash

I'm crashing in the 2018 version of ID in the New Document dialog whenever I make changes to the margins with the Preview checkbox checked. This happens each and every time, consistently.

This occurs in both the new, New Document dialog format (Preview checkbox added in 2018) as well as the Legacy dialog format (enabled with General Preferences setting).

This does not occur in the 2017 CC version of ID. (Legacy dialog only — no Preview checkbox in the new format.)

This does not occur when changing any other page attribute, including page size, slug, and bleed; only Margin.

>Testing:…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

5. Wrong font preview for RTL languages

There is a problem with the new fonts preview in version 14.0 of InDesign.
    The 'Selected Text' preview is shown backwards (LTR instead of RTL).
    This happens in spite of the fact that the text box is marked as a 'Hebrew' one.
    I'm using a Mac running OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Publish Online rtl

Indesign CC has a very good rtl support but when i publish online a document with binding from right to left it works in Print but not in publish online. Publish online always leads to left to rightsliding. Is this a bug or do i miss something? Thank you

66 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Data Merge ignores files when a header field is called 'table'

If Data Merge tries to select a data source where one of its header fields is called 'table' (all lowercase), it fails to import (InDesign v 13.0.1). It doesn't seem to matter which column it's in, but changing it to anything else (e.g. 'Table' with uppercase 'T') seems to fix it.

Tried it on 2 machines, same result. Adobe Customer Care on Twitter confirmed they could replicate it and suggested I post it here.

Short video attached illustrating the issue.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. PDF Export do not provide the option that people have to use braille devices can read it :(

The Option to create a document for People who use a braille device is vanished. Huge Issue as the information letter is also beeing read from blind people (school with blind childs and teachers in vienna). The provides me with the update that they cant read it any more. Issue starts with InDesign CC 14.0.1 PC Version.
    Please advice of fix this.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. NO BUG, but my ide to make better work in Indesign.... ON SWEDISH... OM FÖRBÄTTRING I INDESIGN CC 2019 med flera... Jag skulle vilja att ni

ON SWEDISH... OM FÖRBÄTTRING I INDESIGN CC 2019 med flera versioner...
    Jag skulle vilja att ni i Indesign skapade möjligheter att spara olika inställningar i en lista, på olika skuggor jag gör för bildramar och bokstavs skuggor. Nu finns inget sådant! ....Torgny

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Adjust Layout  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Using text variables causes highlighting text in PDF to be inconsistent/scrumbled

When exporting to PDF from a file including text variables, it results in text in pdf that it is impossible to highlight correctly. and therefore - it is impossible to mark PDF comments on it. Screenshot and PDF files are attached.
    It only happened with ARIAL font, and only in certain book files (that were created in previous ID version). I couldn't recreate the bug in another file.
    When I removed the text variables the PDF was exported fine.
    I also had another kind of conditional text I made in these files - it was a sentence written inside the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Clicking on image doesn't show it in the Links panel

Clicking on an image within a frame doesn't show it in the Links panel, so I have to scroll through the list of links to find the image - This sometimes works, sometimes does not.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Indesign 2019 placing my pictures reversed/ inverted; had to use an older version

Indesign 2019 placing my pictures reversed/ inverted; had to use an older version for multi page PDF placement to work properly.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Swatches panel not displaying correctly

My swatches panel is not displaying correctly. In order to view my current swatches, I have to extend the width of the panel. When the swatch panel is the same width as the other panels, the swatches are completely hidden. Also missing at any size are the buttons for new swatch, delete swatch, etc. These buttons appear on other panels but not swatches. Quitting InDesign and rebooting my computer did not resolve the issue.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. How to clear round corner options

Recently I have set-up a corner options to drag rectangles with a specific round corner. Now I want to drag regular rectangles, with no round corners anymore. But when drag new rectangles they all have round corners.

Note that I have already set the corner option to 0 in the Corner options panel (Object menu). But nothing changes.
    Can somebody help me ?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Import incorrect frame size

When importing images into indesign I am experiencing a random bug on several different documents - when importing the image normally fits to the frame but in this bug it creates a random sized frame that is bigger than the image which stops me placing things the size I want them.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Adjust Layout  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Space converting to line break in .idml

Imported Word documents sometimes include invisible character Unicode 2028. In InDesign CC2018 and in Word it looks like a space. When exported to .idml and reopened in client's CS6, it is converted to a Forced Line Break, which is problematic. Can you set 2028 to convert to a space in .idml?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Idml Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  InDesign Server (IDS)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Overall performance poor

The program takes 3-4 minutes trying to launch, then quits, generating an unexpected error report. It does this 2 times again before it will open the 3rd time. Making it nearly 12 minutes before it is actually usable.

Fonts: when a text box or text is clicked or selected, without exception, there is a long delay and spinning ball prior to being able to do anything with the text. Suitcase Fuision 19.1.1 is the font management program and they claim the problem is with Adobe.

Paste in place: sporadically the "paste in place", doesn't work properly–both through key command and…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. InDesign: Workspace too small on 4K screen (compared to Photoshop and Illustrator)

The InDesign workspace on my 4K laptop screen is half the size of Photoshop/Illustrator, the text type is comparable to 7 pt. type. Everything is impossible to read if further than 5 inches from the monitor.

I contacted Adobe Support and the gentleman could NOT answer or solve the issue, along with saying NO ONE ELSE has this issue. All over the the boards and Internet, this is a recurring issue.

This is a bug that needs to be fixed. I'm frustrated Adobe even has this issue, especially since there was a recent update.

Fix it ASAP. It's very important.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base