Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Text Wrap function not available!

Can anyone help?! The Text Wrap function in InDesign is just not available. All I can see is a blank panel. Done the usual restarts etc. but still no joy and getting incredibly frustrating now.

Running latest update of InDesign on MacBook Pro High Sierra 10.13.4

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. excel import filter fails formatting

When importing an Excel spreadsheet, formatted cells are incorrectly imported.

E.g., place the following one-cell spreadsheet in CC 2018 (not tested in earlier, but I imagine it's true there), and you'll see either "10,000,000,000,000.0." in the cell (under macOS) or "1,000.0" (under Windows).

Needless to say, this is a critical bug for people using Excel with InDesign, since it causes serious mis-representations of imported numbers.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
    Thanks for reporting this issue. We have seen this issue being reported by some users ever since Paragraph Shading as a feature was introduced in InDesign.
    I have marked this issue as “Under Review” for consideration by the InDesign team.

-Aman

4. Excel filter rejects custom Cell Range for 26-column sheets (.xlsx-only)

Excel filter rejects custom Cell Range for 26-column sheets (.xlsx-only)

Steps to reproduce the issues:
    1. Create a new document.
    2. Select File > Place, check Show Import Options, select attached Columns_26.xlsx file.
    3. Note nonstandard default Cell Range: A1:A@10 (should be A1:Z10).
    4. Enter custom (valid) Cell Range "A1:E5"

Expected result:
    No error and a table containing cells A1 through E5.

Actual result:
    Error message, "You have not entered a valid 'Cell Range'. (See attached screenshot.)

This error is given for any sheet whose right-most column is a multiple of 26 (so Z, AZ, BZ, etc.). Place the attached…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Hanging Indent plus Left Justify makes words float out of text frame

I often use bulleted lists with the commmand/backslash (hanging indent) tool. If the text is aligned left, no problem. But when I use left justify, it sends some of the words off to the right — outside of the text frame! Please see examples below.

The text samples here were using Adobe Paragraph Composer. But when I switched it to World-Ready it fixed it!

I've been having this problem for a while. Before I updated to InDesign 2018 and after the update as well. I'm running El Capitan 10.11.6 on a Mid 2011 iMac.

Solved in this thread: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2462045

Here…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Table header is missing after copy/paste

When I copy/paste a table, the header line is missing. My workaround is to change the height of the next line, then the header line appears. Then I change the height back to the actual height.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. story editor

In my notes, the first character is always substituted with a missing font symbol. It looks fine in the main layout window, but this odd behavior occurs both in the Notes panel, as well as the same note when displayed in the story editor.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Text Frame Otpion

Text hops around in text box from top to bottom when moving text frame. I have seen a lot people online having the same issue. Only work around, and it's just that a work around not a fix, every time you place text you have to go to Object>Text Frame Options>Baseline Option and click "Use Custom Baseline Grid". Doing this every single time I place text is getting rather tedious. Just encountered bug today, restarted both indesign and imac, the bug stayed. About to re-install indesign all together.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Loss of typographic enrichment (italic, bold, etc.) on import

On CC2019 14.0.3 but also on previous versions.
    When I import a Miscrosoft Word text I sometimes lose part of the enrichment. On the attached example the majority of Bold are kept but some are gone. This is very problematic when working on documents of several hundred pages.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Cross Reference take forever to create

With a document containing many tables and already some CrossReference in it (not from or to table itself), creating a new cross reference take forever (minutes) to load the New Cross Reference Windows. The windows open at [All Paragraphs].

This is with 14.0.2. Same bug on 13.1, but works perfectly on version cc2017 12.1
    This on MacOS 10.13.6 but same issues on Windows.

In CC2017, the new cross reference window open with no paragraph style selected. It should be the same in CC2019.

Test file upon request only.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. extreme typing lag when using span columns

When using Span Column for headers, editing text anywhere in the document (headers, body text, and footnotes) becomes extremely slow, each letter typed taking several seconds to appear. When I change the header paragraph style to Single Column, the typing lag disappears. (If I change only the current header to Single Column, the lag remains; I have to eliminate Span Column from the entire document for typing speed to be normal.) Gets even slower the longer the editing session goes on. Per Adobe chat rep I reset prefs, updated to CC2019, latest Windows update, and updated video card driver, to…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. find font

Find Font isn't working for certain fonts. See the attached gif. I'm trying to change a passage of text set it Calibri (which I don't have installed) but when I open Find Font, Calibri isn't listed there so I'm unable to swap it out

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. font selection jumps to top of list

When trying to select a font from the Character Dialog, after I scroll to almost the font that I want to select, the list jumps back up to the top, repeatedly. It's very frustrating.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Keyboard shortcuts to change case not working on Windows

Keyboard shortcuts to change case of lines of text is no longer working. Apart from Alt-T to get up the text menu, I'm now having to use the mouse to select the further options to change to Title case. The sequence Alt-T-E-T, no longer works. As I frequently have many entries which need unifying each time I use it, this once useful feature is sorely missing. Please can you fix it Adobe?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Drop Cap/Nested Style Broken in InDesign CC 2019

Since upgrading to InDesign CC 2019, when I edit a paragraph that has a nested style applied to the first line, the entire paragraph takes on the nested style. The paragraph behaves normally until I edit it. Unfortunately, but unsurprisingly, the behavior is inconsistent. If I copy and paste the text into a new text box, the behavior does not occur, but if I link the existing text to that new box, it continues to happen.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    This issue is now fixed in the latest update (Id 14.0.1) of InDesign CC.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

Once the update button is shown against InDesign CC, click on the button to update your InDesign to Id 14.0.1 for the fix of the issue.
    Do let us know in the comments, if you face any problem with the new update.

List of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,
    InDesign Team

16. Static Endnotes

When importing Word files with Static Endnotes ticked from Word .doc files the endnote indicators within the text are no longer superior. There is no character style to be able to change these back. Without these indicators remaining superior makes the Static Endnotes a waste of time if you work in .doc instead of .docx. We always use .doc files as there are too many bugs using .docx - bits of text missing; loss of italics here and there etc. Using .doc files are always foolproof. We are typesetters manipulating text 12 hours a day and know all the pit…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

17. typekit fonts missing but return when InDesign is restarted twice

1. InDesign CC 13.1 x64

2. This bug happens every time I open an InDesign file that has a typekit font (any typekit font)

3. The typekit font will show as active in my Creative Cloud assets panel. The expected result would be for the file to open with the fonts synced.

4. Actual result: InDesign tells me that the fonts are not synced. The only way to fix it is to close and open the entire program twice.
    The third time the file is opened in the program, InDesign will show that the fonts are synced.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. type tool stops working / document freezes

My Type / Text Frame button randomly stops working and then the whole document freezes. I then exit out of the document, open it again and it either works for a few edits until it freezes again or I need to close/open numerous times until it works. I've done all the updates and this has been happening for a few weeks.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Spelling Language - everything switched to English (UK) but keeps Arabic

I have switched Preferences and all other options to English (UK) but the Check Spelling sticks to Arabic. I am not able to change this setting.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. running headers does not show numbers

Running headers does not show the auto numbering for a paragraph style. This would be so much better to have this rather than using a third party plug-in. The best of which is no longer supported for CC.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base