Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. lag selecting text

InDesign 14.0.1

1. Switch to InDesign from another program

2. Select either Selection Tool or Direct Select tool

3. Double click on the text to place a cursor among the text

4. Double click again to select a word

Expected result: quick action from step to step

Actual result: a few seconds of lag

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Arabic Diacritics move to unwanted places if you use an Index Marker in the same line

1. Adobe InDesign CC 14.0 (Middle Eastern version -- English يدعم العربية)

2. a. Type this Arabic text: شَيْء غريب

3. b. Create new Index entry for the second word: غريب

4. The Diacritics should stay as they were.

5. Diacritic of the second letter (يْ) goes somewhere else.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. typekit fonts missing but return when InDesign is restarted twice

1. InDesign CC 13.1 x64

2. This bug happens every time I open an InDesign file that has a typekit font (any typekit font)

3. The typekit font will show as active in my Creative Cloud assets panel. The expected result would be for the file to open with the fonts synced.

4. Actual result: InDesign tells me that the fonts are not synced. The only way to fix it is to close and open the entire program twice.
      The third time the file is opened in the program, InDesign will show that the fonts are synced.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Hanging Indent plus Left Justify makes words float out of text frame

I often use bulleted lists with the commmand/backslash (hanging indent) tool. If the text is aligned left, no problem. But when I use left justify, it sends some of the words off to the right — outside of the text frame! Please see examples below.

The text samples here were using Adobe Paragraph Composer. But when I switched it to World-Ready it fixed it!

I've been having this problem for a while. Before I updated to InDesign 2018 and after the update as well. I'm running El Capitan 10.11.6 on a Mid 2011 iMac.

Solved in this thread: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2462045

Here…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Undo does not work properly on deleted text, it only deletes one character at a time instead of whole block of text

I am on a Mac and this is a problem with InDesign 2018.

If you backspace delete two or more characters from text, undo (Ctrl+Z) only restores one character at a time instead of the whole block that was deleted in that action.

Undo worked fine in previous versions of InDesign, and it works fine in Word and other apps.

I have tried deleting InDesign preferences and caches and even reinstalled it with import previous prefereces unchecked, but the problem remains, and I cannot find any solution. Can someone please help?

Macbook Air now running High Sierra 10.13.2 (but problem…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Need more info  ·  3 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Spell checker in InDesign CC2018 (13.0) has lost its mind

InDesign spell check is randomly not recognising everyday words and when I acknowledge it by clicking Ignore All or Skip, it stops again on the very next word to report an Uncapitalised Sentence. This is happening whether I have the Dictionary set to Proximity or Hunspell.

I cannot find a pattern other than that, but I have now experienced it on ten different InDesign documents. It is very annoying, but I am also left to wonder whether it is actually missing other words that might actually need correction?? PLEASE HELP.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Inline vector graphics pixelate while typing in high quality display performance mode

InDesign 14.0.2 on Windows 10

1) Set display performance to high quality
    2) Paste an EPS or PDF into a text frame as an inline graphic. It should render crisply as you'd expect in high quality mode..
    3) Start typing in the text frame that contains the inline graphic. The inline graphic pixelates.
    4) Click out of the text frame or stop typing for ~10 seconds. The graphic returns to its unpixelated, high-quality state.

Context: we are upgrading 100 users from InDesign 2014 to InDesign 2019. This worked perfectly well without any pixelation or lag in InDesign 2014, but is…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Endnotes are out of sequence in captions and sidebars

I work on books that often have endnotes in captions or sidebars. The captions/sidebars are always set up as separate frames (and sometimes as anchored objects). Any endnotes in separate frames end up at the end of the endnote list, regardless of where they fall in the page order.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Cross reference takes more space than its text

A cross reference sometimes takes up more space than its actual text.

In the attached shows a frame with text with the right side of the text frame visible and the word "with" (above) extending well beyond the 2nd to last line in the frame. The "112" in the picture is a cross reference. When that cross reference is removed and "regular" text is typed in the 112 fits on the line.

Question first posted and confirmed by another here: https://forums.adobe.com/message/10908454#10908454.

This happens in CS6 and in CC2019, 14.0.1 x64.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Spelling Language - everything switched to English (UK) but keeps Arabic

I have switched Preferences and all other options to English (UK) but the Check Spelling sticks to Arabic. I am not able to change this setting.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Dictionary options in Preferences dialog is just for defining the chosen Language properties i.e. when you go to Preferences > Dictionary and select any language (say ‘German: Old Rules’) in Language dropdown, it does not signify that ‘German: Old Rules’ is applied or set as a language. It only signifies the User Dictionary that is used for that language, giving you the option to add more custom dictionaries. Also any changes that you make in Hyphenation, Spelling, Double Quotes and Single Quotes section in Preferences > Dictionary would pertain to that Language only. To use those settings you have to manually apply the Language from Control panel/Character panel or from Paragraph/Character Style to the text.

You can verify this by following steps:

Go to Preferences > Dictionary and select ‘German: Old Rules’, etc. in Language dropdown.
    Change Spelling or Hyphenation setting and click OK.
    Now create a text frame. The…

11. Text Wrap function not available!

Can anyone help?! The Text Wrap function in InDesign is just not available. All I can see is a blank panel. Done the usual restarts etc. but still no joy and getting incredibly frustrating now.

Running latest update of InDesign on MacBook Pro High Sierra 10.13.4

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    Thanks for reporting this issue. We have seen this issue being reported by some users ever since Paragraph Shading as a feature was introduced in InDesign.
    I have marked this issue as “Under Review” for consideration by the InDesign team.

-Aman

13. Excel filter rejects custom Cell Range for 26-column sheets (.xlsx-only)

Excel filter rejects custom Cell Range for 26-column sheets (.xlsx-only)

Steps to reproduce the issues:
    1. Create a new document.
    2. Select File > Place, check Show Import Options, select attached Columns_26.xlsx file.
    3. Note nonstandard default Cell Range: A1:A@10 (should be A1:Z10).
    4. Enter custom (valid) Cell Range "A1:E5"

Expected result:
    No error and a table containing cells A1 through E5.

Actual result:
    Error message, "You have not entered a valid 'Cell Range'. (See attached screenshot.)

This error is given for any sheet whose right-most column is a multiple of 26 (so Z, AZ, BZ, etc.). Place the attached…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Table header is missing after copy/paste

When I copy/paste a table, the header line is missing. My workaround is to change the height of the next line, then the header line appears. Then I change the height back to the actual height.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. story editor

In my notes, the first character is always substituted with a missing font symbol. It looks fine in the main layout window, but this odd behavior occurs both in the Notes panel, as well as the same note when displayed in the story editor.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Text Frame Otpion

Text hops around in text box from top to bottom when moving text frame. I have seen a lot people online having the same issue. Only work around, and it's just that a work around not a fix, every time you place text you have to go to Object>Text Frame Options>Baseline Option and click "Use Custom Baseline Grid". Doing this every single time I place text is getting rather tedious. Just encountered bug today, restarted both indesign and imac, the bug stayed. About to re-install indesign all together.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. thai

After updated to the newest Indesign 2020, word cut/ hyphenate in Thai language become incorrect.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Thaana text properly composed in 14.0.3 messed after converting to 15.0

Weird changes in the text after converting file to 15.0. (Upon opening a file with Thaana text) see attached images.

Diacritics completely messed up AFTER recomposing (change alignment or reapply World-Ready composer) See attached images.

Cannot use double/triple-clicking to select text composed in the new composer. (can select paragraphs already composed in the previous version, if no changes are made to that paragraph.)

To see it in a new document: create a new document, copy and paste Thaana text (ex: Dhivehi Wikipedia), apply World-Ready composer.

Sample indd: https://www.dropbox.com/s/imh6najk6nlv39m/Cooperative%20Learning%20Poster.indd?dl=0

Font used: http://www.hassanhameed.com/?page_id=154

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Tired of Adobe cloud and syncing

I have had it!
    I have so had it with you Adobe! I'm not even connected to the internet, I'm OFFLINE!!!! In InDesign, when I work with a freaking Google font called "Lato," I expect only the Google Font to be on my system fonts. Yet, you, yes, YOU want me to connect to the internet so that the font "Lato Medium" is synced into my design, which I did not even request to be synced in the first place. I never wanted the **** font, yet you force it down on me. InDesign keeps telling me that the font…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Loss of typographic enrichment (italic, bold, etc.) on import

On CC2019 14.0.3 but also on previous versions.
    When I import a Miscrosoft Word text I sometimes lose part of the enrichment. On the attached example the majority of Bold are kept but some are gone. This is very problematic when working on documents of several hundred pages.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base