Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6506 results found

1. Cell Style override crash

Crashes when applying and overriding a cell style to a table that has previous overrides. Tried it multiple times on multiple files, all with the same crash result.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

2. 3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Data Merge causes crash/lock-up when displaying panels on second screen

When displaying my panels on a second monitor using InDesign and then trying to begin a data merge the application crashes and becomes unresponsive.

If I change the layout of the panels to one screen (the default layout) it works fine.

I've uninstalled InDesign and reinstalled, also deleting my preferences folders/files.

I can select the data source and insert one field, but then clicking on anything else after the first field has been inserted causes the application to stop responding.

I've attached a screenshot of the panels on the second screen for your reference - there are no panels on…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)
    We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

4. On the Radar? New character for uppercase "ß" in germany – dont forget to be able to disable auto-"ß" into SS…

If I use shift+"ß", InDesign changes to "SS" – so far so good. But that got revised 29.7.2017. I hope thats on InD's radar.

"Anfang 2008 wurde das große ß als neues Zeichen in den internationalen Standard Unicode für Computerzeichensätze aufgenommen, am 24. Juni 2008 trat die entsprechende Ergänzung der Norm ISO/IEC 10646 in Kraft.[1] Seit dem 29. Juni 2017 ist das ẞ Bestandteil der amtlichen deutschen Rechtschreibung.[2][3]"
    from
    https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gro%C3%9Fes_%C3%9F

http://www.rechtschreibrat.com/DOX/rfdr_PM_2017-06-29_Aktualisierung_Regelwerk.pdf

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. BUG Make "Fit Frame to Content" finally work with rotated/skewd content

1. Version: CS4 and above
    2. Steps: Just rotate/skew a picture within its box and use "FitFrameToContent" and watch the content gets cropped!
    3. Expected Result: The picture frame gets fit…
    4. Actual result: The content gets cropped.
    3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    Thanks for reporting the issue.
    We have been able to reproduce it and will consider it for fixing.

-Aman

6. InDesign freezing when pressing backspace in a text box of more than 500 or 600 words

This only seems to be a problem when using long text boxes more than a few hundred words. InDesign starts to slow down while I'm typing, but if I then select text or press backspace (mostly the latter) then InDesign freezes for 10 to 15 seconds.

I've searched the problem, but the only solution I have found is to try closing the info panel, but this seems to be a CS3 fix and doesn't work.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. CC Files in InDesign not showing up

I shared files using CC Files for teams using my work account, and the sync with my account on my home computer in the user folder/creative cloud files, however they don't show up in the START workspace when I launch InDesign. How do I get these files to show up in the application?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. The order of Arabic digits is reversed when changing their character direction

1. Adobe InDesign CC 2017.1
    2. Create a textbox, type Arabic characters including some digits. Change character direction from 'Default' to 'Right to Left'.
    3. Arabic letters are RTL, but Arabic digits are written LTR; So when you change character direction to RTL, they should be in their right direction.
    4. Letters are RTL, but digits are reversed. The problem is that Arabic script is written RTL, but its digits' direction is LTR. Just like when you move caret and logically it moves in correct direction.
    3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. 3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Need More Info  ·  9 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Hyperlinks

I use a lot of hyperlinks in a document which link to the individual products on our website for online ordering and stock levels.

The Hyperlink panel frequently corrupts - I lose the ‘traffic light’ link status indicator and location of the link (page No.) - meaning I have to remove InDesign and execute a clean install to get the feature back.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Adobe inDesign is shutting down

Adobe in Design is shutting dow. A serious error was detected. Please restart InDesign to recover work in any unsaved InDesign documents. This happened when importing an image cmd D.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

CLOSED  ·  0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Data merge not working for absolute paths on macOS

With the latest update of 19.4, image paths no longer work for merge documents. I installed the latest update, which went back to 19.3, and have had no issues; therefore, I have isolated the issue with the update. I currently usean Excell file with an image field and the path to the image associated with each record. I have not changed anything in the file but with the new update I get the error message indicating the file is missing.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. slowdown

Indesign is slow on opening and closing documents. I have reset preferences, installed the app and reinstalled, disabled plugins...everything I can think of to make it better. It's almost unusable. The forums are no help, I've tried the GPU toggle and their suggestions. It just sits there. This video doesn't show the spinning beachball but I get when opening or closing documents. It has destroyed my workflow and speed. What is there to do?

Mac Studio 2023 M3 Ultra, 64gb ram, 2TB HD, Mac OS Sonoma 14.4.1, InDesign 19.4

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Password protect bug

The new password protect feature worked fine on the 25th April.
    However I've noticed a bug on a document I was testing today 27 April.

The same document was showing a 'access denied' page though would allow me to see page past page 1.
    Page 1 would not load.
    The same thing happened on a newly uploaded version of that document.
    The document has 16 pages with animation to the first page.
    This error happened across safari and chrome browsers.
    The document works fine when re-uploaded without password protection.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Version 19.4 Persistent error dialog "RM: error creating temporary record definition sheet"

On iOS 13.6.6. Problem began after updating to 19.4.

As soon as I create a new document or open an existing doc, the error dialog above appears, and reappears immediately when dismissed, preventing any further work.

Version 18.5.2 on same machine still functions as normal, but is not not an acceptable long term workaround due to lack of current plugins.

I've already tried deleting /Users/{me}/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign/Version 19.0 folder. Folder was recreated at application launch, as expected, but did not resolve the error.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. new features

STOP INTERRUPTING MY WORKFLOW WITH YOUR STUPID ADVERTISEMENTS FOR NEW FEATURES!!!!!! F OFF ADOBE

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. On the start page, the recent items are showing up with multiple file names displaying over the top of one another

When I open InDesign and the Start page appears, the first line of recent items show the image of the file but the description underneath shows several layers of file names on top of each other.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Pdf export and Adobe print to pdf gets image errors in prints from InDesign 19.3 x64

The pdf looks correct in the pdf but lines looks very different after printing the pdf. Both export in different qualities, and Adobe print to pdf different qualities gets the same results. The image is a map and the errors are desturbingly big. Microsoft print PDF works so the errors are Adobes. The map itself is from ArcMap GIS and printed as pdf with Adobe pdf printer and linked to InDesign.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Apple M2 max GPU not detected

I have a mac studio with M2 Max and indesign doesn't recognize the graphics card. The zoom gets in the way when I need to make the pages bigger or smaller.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Can't set spacing between paragraphs using the same style to ignore

When trying to set spacing between paragraphs to ignore I get an error. See attached file. Can you fix?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base