Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6522 results found

1. Application quits

When I highlight text and go to the font menu, the application quits. This always happens the first time I do it. From then on, it works fine. Yet, it has become very annoying. I have a Mac running on High Sierra OS 10.13.2. I'm using InDesign 13.0.1.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Indesign crashing on startup 2017 / 2018 (cloud) - Please Help!!

InDesign crashes the computer on startup. Not just the program, but restarts the PC. Sometimes it crashes with blue screen sometimes with plain and simple restart without any messages. Program does not even open.

I'm running Intel I7 8720X, Nvidia 1080 TI, 11 GB, 32 GB ram DDR4, 512 SSD + 3 TB Storage, Windows 10 Home - all updates.

I'm not sure what is going on. I tried to reinstall it, several times, after I uninstall removing preferences / settings, formatted the drives to kill any existing settings, still same issues. Photoshop, Illustrator and Adobe Acrobat work fine, not…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)
    We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

3. Missing item in startup screen should be removed

If I move a document on my hard drive, of course it’s gonna be missing in the recent items of inDesign. (normal)
    At that moment, instead of « missing doc -> OK » i should have :
    « missing doc -> remove from recent docs / Ok »
    * OK would do the exact same thing, closing the message window and leaving the icon/item there.
    * remove would remove it from the list so that I don’t see it again and mistakenly click it again.
    Why keeping the « OK » item at all ? So that I can keep…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Indesign becomes slower after working on document over short duration. CC 13.0.1

Indesign becomes slower after working on document over short duration. CC 13.0.1
    App is OK after restart. Once working on the document for 10 min the navigation around the document and any command request, ie duplicate a image slows down and becomes sluggish until app is restarted once more.
    Im working on a iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), 4 GHz Intel Core i7, 24 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4 GB.
    (Display performance at "Typical Displace)

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. 2018 Indesign CC Libraries panel turns black after expanding it out

After installing the newest version of Indesign on my Mac Pro I've noticed an issue with the CC Libraries panel turning black when I expand the panel outwards.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Editing font in table and it crashes

Selecting multiple cells and changing font, Indesign keeps crashing

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

7. InDesign 2018 still crashing when updating in links panel after 13.0.1 update

InDesign 2018 still crashing when updating in links panel after 13.0.1 update. Running Mac OS High Sierra. It's one thing after another since updating to 2018.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. object feather tool is no longer working properly

why is the object feather tool is no longer working properly?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. 3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

10. The button malfunction in Indesign CC

The button sometimes function in Epub and sometimes it does not work.

If I restart the software, it works. There is a bug.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Custom PDF presets erased after update to CC 2018

I have several saved PDF presets for different clients. All of them had been deleted after upgrading from CC 2017 to 2018. I first thought they were simply not migrated over, but after opening InDesign CC 2017 I noticed they were gone there also! Only the default presets (High-Quality Print, etc.) were showing up in the drop-down menu. I had to go into my TimeMachine update to restore the files.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Annika

Could you please go to the following location on your system, and check whether your presets are present on your machine or not:
    /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe PDF/Settings

Also, is there any other Adobe application that is installed on your system, like Illustrator? If yes, could you please check if your presets are shown in those applications or not.

Regards
    Anasuiya Gupta

12. Double clicking the correct word in InDesign spell check

Ever since InDesign 1.0, when you used the spell check, you could double click on the correct word in the 'Suggested Corrections' area and the wrongly spelt word would be replaced, and then the spell checker would move on.

I am not sure at what stage this function stopped working, but it was definitely after CC was launched as it still works correctly in CS6. I think this is a bug.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. GREP variables $1 (and so on) not working

GREP variables $1 (and so on) are not working. $0 brings the found text, $1 just replaces with $1.
    Indesign CC 13.0 2018

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Relink is broken

Hi, I have an existing linked file (PDF) already contained within a document, for example PDF_a.pdf in the links panel. The original link generates the graphic and displays on the page.

I want to update that link to now link to PDFb.pdf. I choose the relink button from the links panel, the file name updates in the links panel to display PDFb.pdf, however the graphic displayed on the page remains that of PDF_a.pdf.

If I save the file, close InDesign and reopen it, the link remains PDFb.pdf, while the graphic shows PDFa.pdf on the page.

If…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Font size of colored menu items becomes too low on high-res devices

I prefer customizing my menu and colorizing but the menu text does not align up quiet neatly in my InDesign CC 2018, same issues can also be seen at some context menu like the Layer panel

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

Thank you for reporting the issue.
    We are currently reviewing the problem at our end.

Regards,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Engineering

16. Balance Ragged Lines and Nested Line Styles

1. All Versions of Adobe InDesign up to CC 2018. macOS.
    2. A paragraph is formated with "Balance Ragged Lines" and single lines are formated with "Nested Line Styles"
    3. The lines shoud be formated as they are actual wrapped.
    4. The words are formated, as they would built lines, if balance ragged lines were not enabled.
    5. In the screenshot the second line is colored by a nested line style. The first word in the second line remains black, because it is wrapped around by balance ragged lines.
    3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. CC library window disappears from workspace

Every time I start indesign the CC libraries window disappears from my workspace. I add it again and overwrite my workspace, but it disappears again as soon as I quit. Using CC 2018 13.0 on Mac OS El Capitan 10.11.6

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Using Text Wrap causes InDesign to crash!

When I use the text wrap or copy/paste an object with text wrap applied, the program crashes.

I noticed this is only happening when I attempt to add them to a page that includes a table in it.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

19. Separations palette without numbers

At some point the numbers go missing from the separations preview, when separations is chosen from the palette menu. This applies also to the Ink Limit view. Resetting preferences will help for a while.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Disabling UI scaling for high PPI displays causes truncated descriptions in "Preferences"

Installed InDesign CC 2018; when disabling UI scaling for high PPI displays, and restarting.

When "Preferences" are launched, all options turn up with their descriptions truncated, and replaced with an ellipsis.

Two images are attached, when UI Scaling is disabled vs enabled.

This is happening on MS Surface Pro 3, Windows 8.1, screen resolution 2160 x 1440 px (max supported by Surface Pro) and all resolutions below.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base