Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Scrolling too slow

Adobe needs to improve scrolling speed. When using the slider, InDesign can't keep up with it.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. "Shin Dot" and "sin Dot" does not work

On Mac, InDesign version 15.1.1 - typing the Unicode character "Shin Dot" and "sin Dot" does not work with the keyboard, only with the glyphs panel

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Black swatch in cell diagonal line is not overprint

In Table and Cells, stroke color default swatch is [Black]. In this case, overprinting is set even if the overprint check box is off.
    However, the diagonal line does not set the overprint even if [Black] swatch is applied.
    This is not set unless the check box is checked, so it must be the same as stroke because it behaves differently from stroke.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. InDesign freezes while Adding New/Editing Cross-References

1. InDesign 13.1 x64
      2a. Select the text, go to Insert Cross References either via Type > Hyperlinks & Cross References or via the Cross References Panel.
      2b. Select text that already has a cross reference, go to Cross-Reference Options either via Type > Hyperlinks and Cross References of the Cross References panel.

2. The New Cross-Reference or Edit Cross-Reference dialog box should open and function.

3. InDesign freezes and has to be force quit. I've waited as long as 20 minutes for the system to function properly before having to force it to quit.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77) with a lot of stability fixes. We recommend you upgrade to the latest version (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.

One of the customers has confirmed that the issue is fixed in the latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign froze?
    • Video recording of the issue?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you provide the document(s)/asset(s) to us? Please package the entire document (To package the document, choose File → Package…)

Adobe InDesign Team

5. Indesign causes screen to enter a strobe flicker effect and no choice but to shut down

Sometimes when I drag a text box to a different position the screen starts to flicker then goes crazy - like a strobe effect. It's applied to all software that's open and there is no choice but to have a frenzied time trying to shut down applications and saving work before the screen either goes completely blank or white. There is no choice but to restrt the imac.

It happened around 5 times in the space of an hour and then won't happen for weeks.

iMac - Intel Core i7 - 4 GHz - Memory 32 GB - AMD Radeon…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. InDesign Is Still Unusably Slow

Despite this forum being filled with "solved" reports of InDesign being unusably slow, it remains so.
    I am editing a 4 page document that is almost all text, and yet I get the spinning ball after each and every keystroke. It can take 5-10 seconds just to complete typing a word, and heaven help me if I make a mistake and need to backspace.

I just updated InDesign this morning so I am on 14.0.2. I'm running Windows 10 1903. The machine is an MSI laptop with an i7 processor and 12GB of RAM.

I have attempted to edit the…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Stroke Drawing Order not working

InDesign 2019 on MacOS 10.13.6

Steps to reproduce
    Define table stroke using the proxy in the Control panel (see screenshot) and try to change the Stroke Drawing Order.

Expected result
    Stroke Drawing Order "Row Strokes In Front" should be as selected in "Table Options"

Actual result
    Row Strokes are not in front. All strokes which are altered using the control panel options remain unchanged.
    If a new table is setup using only the menu options (Cell Options > Strokes And Fills) everything works fine.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

In the Table Setup dialog, do the following:

In the Row Strokes section (2nd tab), choose Alternating Pattern : Every Other Row and then make the First 1 Rows and Next 1 Rows the exact same settings.

In the Column Strokes section (3rd tab), choose Alternating Pattern: Every Other Column and then make the First 1 Columns and Next 1 Columns the exact same settings.

In the Table Setup section (1st tab), you can set the Table Border as 0mm and Stroke Drawing Order as ‘Row Strokes in Front’.

Most probably this should help you get the results you are after. Try this out and let us know if it helps.

Adobe InDesign team

8. Critical : can't sync fonts from Adobe

Critical : can't sync fonts from Adobe :

Hello, just like this guy below :

Help! Unable to activate fonts InDesign 2019

I can't sync fonts on indesign from Adobe Fonts. Nothing works. Tried everything.

Tried syncing them from the Adobe Font website, tried in Indesign, uninstalled all indesign versions, restarted preferences, uninstalled adobe cloud.

tried everything,

Deactivating fonts on adobe font website, reactivating them. Doing the same in the cloud app. No fix.

FONTS HAVING ISSUES : Source Sans pro, Open Sans, League Gothic, Fire Sans , Fire Sans 2.

The error message is : "unable to sync one…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve seen this issue happen when you have the same Font already installed on your machine.

So you may try going to where your Fonts are installed on Windows machine – (Control panel > Fonts) and uninstall/remove the Fonts that you are unable to Sync from Adobe Fonts.

Hopefully, the problem should get resolved.

Adobe InDesign team

9. InDesign CC 2019 - font error issues with PDFs

When latest InDesign CC 2019 creates a PDF using certain fonts, an error message appears when opening PDF in Acrobat Pro DC: "Cannot extract the embedded font 'JLUSWO+fontname'. Some characters may not display or print correctly."

Never had this issue with previous InDesign versions. The same PDF opens, views and prints perfectly in Preview. Creating PDFs by other applications with the same font are fine.

HELP!

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released InDesign CC2019.0.2 with lot of stability fixes. If you are not on 14.0.2.324 then I would recommend you to upgrade to latest version as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If Yes, Can you please provide the document(s)/asset(s)? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)
    • Does Trashing preference and cache, please create a backup of Preference and cache before trashing them, help to resolve the issue?

Adobe InDesign Team

10. Windows recents files (at opening)

Sometimes the files are two times on the panel (same file) and sometimes is a wrong link (opening an other file the icon seems to be).
    Quit, refresh, open an other file : nothing to get the right link.
    Since the late update march 2018 ; I am on 13.1.
    Thank you for resolving idea,
    Pierre

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Undo does not work properly on deleted text, it only deletes one character at a time instead of whole block of text

I am on a Mac and this is a problem with InDesign 2018.

If you backspace delete two or more characters from text, undo (Ctrl+Z) only restores one character at a time instead of the whole block that was deleted in that action.

Undo worked fine in previous versions of InDesign, and it works fine in Word and other apps.

I have tried deleting InDesign preferences and caches and even reinstalled it with import previous prefereces unchecked, but the problem remains, and I cannot find any solution. Can someone please help?

Macbook Air now running High Sierra 10.13.2 (but problem…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Need more info  ·  4 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Indesign CC 2017 does not accept color management

Hello!
    I work on Mac with high Sierra 10.13.2 with adobe CC 2015, 2017 and 2018.
    I have been working with Adobe for 25 years and therefore know the subject color management settings & synchronization.
    In Photoshop I have a color set made up of ECI RGB and ISOcoated v2 and other parameters such as rel.fartric with TK, etc.

Then I synced with the bridge the suite on this set. Photoshop and AI do not accept this set but InDesign does. The error message comes:

"Some parameters of the color settings file could not be used. The default values ​​are…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for reporting the issue. We need some information around the issue which may help us in narrowing down the root cause:

1. Does it happen with the latest InDesign version 14.0.1 ?
    2. Is it document specific or happens with all the documents?
    3. Does it happen when you switch between Adobe applications in a specific order ?
    4. Please specify your Platform, OS version and InDesign version.

A short video depicting the issue will be very helpful.

13. drop shadow effect bug - in NEW 2018 Indesign

The Blend Mode in DROP SHADOW is FROZEN on MULTIPLY.. I cannot choose any other blend option... i.e. screen, darken, lighten..and it defaults to MULTIPLY...

I tried drop shadow filter on multiple elements and documents.. STILL FROZEN... BIG BUG..

I'll go back to using the older version until you get your issues fixed.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Effects/Transparency  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
    Can you add a video showing the issue? and some steps to reproduce the issue…
    We are unable to reproduce this bug.
    Are you on MAC or Win? Does it happen with all documents?
    You can add a video to WeTransfer/Dropbox etc and add a link here as comment.

Also, please confirm if your issue is similar to one mentioned here.. https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/31964464-blending-effects

-Aman

14. InDesign steals focus in Windows 10

Whenever InDesign launches or performs a task such as PDF export, if the user switches to another application, InDesign will steal the focus back.

This annoyance has been around for quite some time as outlined in this thread: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2001514

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

On Windows 10, the focus stealing does not happen with InDesign CC 2018. Same with Illustrator CC 2018.
    However, as some users have noted, focus stealing happens with Photoshop CC 2018.

We’d like to know if you are still experiencing this issue with InDesign.

Thanks,
    Adobe InDesign team

15. Locked text and image boxes

Text and image boxes are locked to the page and can't be moved with the mouse, only with the arrow tools

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Need more info  ·  ansjain responded

Hi all,

Can you please provide some more information to help in reproducing the issue at our end:
    - InDesign version
    - OS
    - Language
    - If document specific, please share a document with me
    - Starts happening after doing some particular steps, please let me know what all things you were performing before this issue happens

Appreciate your help in reproducing this issue.

Thanks
    -Anshul

16. Share for Review SYNC Broken

I use "Share" > "Share for Review" on a Program for review by multiple departments for edits. I received notifications of over 200 edits, but upon opening the InDesign file to begin changes, the "Window" > "Comments" > "Review" Panel data is empty and again says "Create Review".

So the connection from my online review and the source InDesign is broken. Additionally, there is no option to save that online version as a pdf to import the comments via that option in "Window" > "Comments" > "PDF Comments"

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Share for Review  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve released an update to InDesign – 15.1.2

Please update to this latest version and see if the issues you were facing earlier have got resolved.

Remember to check how you are signed into your CC account and if need be, sign out and sign in again. Since Share for Review is a service and dependent on your login to your Adobe ID account, it is important that CCD app is working well with your credentials.

Adobe InDesign team

17. InDesign 15.1.1 - Fonts not activating - stuck on spinning circle background tasks

I have a problem on InDesign 15.1.1 - My Creative Cloud fonts are not activating... How can I sort this out? It's stuck on the spinning blue circle of doom - the background task has been saying queued for hours now.

I need my fonts not sure what to do?? Help.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. PDF Comments Unmapped / Adobe Indesign 2020, 15.0.1 (latest issue)

1. Adobe Indesign 2020, 15.0.1 (latest issue, updated)

2. Several files opened and attempted to edit with PDF markups. Have checked the PDF file in acrobat and correct.

3. Comments should be mapped to identical document but are not.

4. Most, if not all comments are unmapped (latest document completely unmapped - 50!!).

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PDF Comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. 14.0.3 Crashes and wipes all preferences (17th October 2019)

On closing a document on a mac (using the red dot) inDesign suddenly crashes. When I re-open it, all my preferences have been reset to default - including the animated tool tips returning.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77) with a lot of stability fixes. We recommend you upgrade to the latest version (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com:

• Quit InDesign and create a backup of Preference and cache. Relaunch InDesign to observe if the preferences have been reset.
    • Next time when you encounter a crash, create a backup of Preference and cache prior to InDesign launch. If the issue is encountered, send the back up of preference and cache to the above mail ID

Adobe InDesign Team

20. InDesign 14 opening network files as read-only

We have been using InDesign for a while with files being stored on a network SMB share. on 4/4/19, after a few folks updated to 14.02, the Indesign and Incopy files are primarily only able to be opened as read-only.

Network server permissions have been verified and no other changes have occurred in our environment.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Please help us with answers to the below queries:

1. OS version of the machine where issue is reproducible.
    2.Are the files opened simultaneously by more than one user?
    3. Does the same file which is opened as Read Only in Id 14.0.2, when opened in Id 14.0.1 opens fine?
    4. Does remounting the SMB drive fixes the issue?

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base