Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)

Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

Bug details

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. [Break in CC 2018] Text frame properties lost when copying and pasting frames across document

I have a document that uses top justification in a text frame, and bottom justification in another text frame. When I copy these frames, with or without any other objects, into a new document (think business card imposition), the bottom justification changes to top justification, altering the layout of the document.

I have reset my preferences, and tried the fixes described here: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2402361 and here https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2401857

With no success.

Attached is a 1UP file (Original with mixed justification) and a 24UP file (with resulting error)

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

57 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. New defined Character Color in Paragraph Style not visible

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
    Adobe InDesign CC Version 2017.1 Build 12.1.0.56
    MAC OS X Yosemite 10.10.5

2. Steps to reproduce the issues
    Create a new Paragraph Style
    Go to Character Color tab
    Create new color with a double click in the black square
    Define some values for C/M/Y/K and click OK

3. Expected result
    The new color shoud show up at the end of the existing color list

4. Actual result
    The new Color don’t show up
    After changing to another tab and back the color show up

5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF…

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

3. Can't create shortcut for styles on mac

In the Adobe docs it says "If your keyboard does not have a Num Lock key, you cannot add keyboard shortcuts to styles." I can't believe that Adobe is perfectly content with just excluding large portions of its Mac user base, those of us who are exclusively using a Mac laptop for work (which does not have a keyboard with a numeric pad or the Num Lock Key), from being able to create and therefore take advantage of time-saving shortcuts for character styles. I mean, come on. Why is it again that I am paying $50/month for Adobe CC?

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  13 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Defining a Drop Cap

If you define a Drop Cap in a paragraph style WITH a character style and also define a nested style, if there is a single letter word starting the paragraph, the nested style does not recognize it and will apply the nested style to an additional word beyond the deliminator. For example, a nested style through 3 words will apply to the first 4 if the paragraph starts with "I[space]" or "A[space]". It does not do this if [none] is chosen from the character style dropdown in Drop Caps, but only if one is chosen (even when nothing is defined…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Object Style Options: XY Offset < 1440

MacOS High Sierra
    InDesignCC 2018 13.1

When setting up Object Style Options > Size and position options > Position > Adjust X OR Y,
    it’s impossible to manually enter any value bigger than 1440 px (pt), regardless of page size.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Applying a paragraph style causes text to appear duplicated on screen, but it's not really.

CC 2018, OS High Sierra, both most current, brand new install on a brand new iMac Pro.

If I apply a style using a key command, 90% of the time the text from the cursor down goes crazy, looks duplicated. But if I hit the key command again, or click off the paragraph, or scroll, it goes away and is normal. So it's not really duplicating anything as far as I can tell. I screen captured exactly what it looks like.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Paragraph style changes when copy/pasting

Indesign 13.1/13.0.1, macOS, UTS 6.1.5

When copy-pasting text or text frames from one document to another or even in the same document, paragraph style is changed to "standard copy".
    The correct paragraph style is present, allocated and identical in all documents.
    The paragraph style "standard"/"standard copy" is not present in any document (german version) before copy-pasting.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. When flowing text in multiple textboxes, Object Styles settings are ignored

1. Indesign 13.0.1 OSX
    2. Create an object style and set it as the default for new Text Frames. Create a new Text Frame. Click on the linking box at the corner and hold down alt to link the Text Frame to a number of new TF's. Draw a number of new linked TF's with the alt key pressed.
    3. All Text Frames should have the Object Style set as default
    4. The new TF's have an OS of [None]

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
    This has been the behaviour since the beginning. See the link https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/object-styles.html where it states “This category is applicable only if the object is an unthreaded text frame.”

Please let us know any use-cases where this can be beneficial so that we can process this as a “Feature modification request”

You can ctrl(cmd)+a in a text frame and then apply the paragraph style as a workaround.
    -Aman

9. Clip to Frame paragraph shading

InDesign 13.0 x64 Windows

Create a paragraph style with paragraph shading, width set to column. Set positive left and right offsets. Enable "Clip to Frame".

Expected result: Shading does not extend beyond frame.
    Actual result: Shading offset is clipped on left frame margin, but clipping is not honored on right frame margin.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. eyedropper tool doesn't work any more and scrollbar disappears in color panel

Since i update MacOS Sierra (10.12.6 version), when i try to copy a text style with the eyedropper tool, it doesn't work. Instead to copy the right style, the text becomes always white.
    Other problem: in the color palette, there is no more the scroll bar: haw can i see the colours continue below the end of the window??
    And also the indicator of the color type (rgb, cmyk, pantone...) doesn't appear next to the single color.
    Other problem: sometimes when i open in design, it doesn't show the palettes. I have to restart several times. I verified the same…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Unequal inset values in an Object Style don't display in a text frame if corners are rounded

If you use an object style with unequal inset spacing and apply it to a text frame, the unequal spacing is ignore and made uniform.

Steps to recreate:
    1. Create an Object Style
    2. Go to 'Text Frame General Options' for that style
    3. Set unequal values for 'Inset Spacing'
    4. Go to 'Stroke & Corner Cptions'
    5. In 'Corner Options' set 'Rounded'
    6. Create a Text Frame
    7. Fill Text Frame with placeholder text
    8. Apply Object Style to Text Frame

Result: unequal inset spacing is ignored.

If you apply unequal inset spacing manually there are no problems —…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Arabic

Using Adobe Arabic font, and paragraph set to Adobe World-Ready Paragraph Composer, when I copy in Arabic with a period at the end of the sentence, InDesign is interpreting the period as Roman/English text and placing it to the far right of the sentence, instead of at the end of the sentence (far left).

This is new since I last worked in these files in March of this year.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Apply Overrides to style using option click not working

1. InDesign CC2019
    2. option-clicking on a style sheet should apply it with clear overrides.
    3. it doesn’t. You have to right click on it to Apply ‘style’ clear overriders

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. two font sizes listed in character panel

I am applying a paragraph style and for some reason the font size was not changing to the size specified. There is no character style applied to the text to override the paragraph style. I did notice that my character panel showed two font sizes, with the second size, the one I want, in parenthesis. Not sure what is going on here.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

The font size in parentheses is the new font size when the document has been resized using Liquid Layout’s Scale rule. The font size outside the parentheses is the original font size – that is, it looks like this:
    Original Font Size(New Font Size) – eg., 12 pt(8.1).
    Have you selected an Alternate Layout page where this rule was applied?

Adobe InDesign team

15. Drop CAP Extends to the Next Paragraph

When a paragraph using a drop initial has fewer lines than what is indicated in the drop initial dialog, the following paragraph indents for as many lines as is missing in the previous drop initial paragraph, even if the following paragraph has space between it and the preceding drop initial paragraph.

The attached example shows a 1 line paragraph with drop a initial set up as 2 lines. The next paragraph indents.

I think it very odd that the drop initial formatting goes beyond the paragraph to which it is applied. Took me a bit to figure out where the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Cannot add CC Library P/C styles to documents more than one at a time

New problem: suddenly I can't add paragraph/character styles from CC Libraries to documents unless I choose them one-by-one.
    (I'm trying to overwrite a previous version of the same styles, which to date I have done without issue nearly every day for months.)
    I have made no changes to my system (InDesign2018 Version 13.1 on Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.4).

Description of behavior:

1. Select list of Character (or Paragraph) styles and right-click to use option to add to the current document. "Add" option NOT available.

2. Select single Character (or Paragraph) style and right click to use option to add…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Data Merge Preview drops Paragraph Styles with Nested Styles

Suppose you want to merge data, and format it with nested styles. For example, you want one word to be red, and the other blue. If the cell is empty, remove the line.

This works as intended until you 'Preview' the document. When you view a record without data, then move to the next, the paragraph style is lost entirely!

For example, I use this technique to merge many restaurant menus for many locations. A food item is regular up to a '$'. Then the price is italicized. Some locations don't offer this item. If I were to Preview one…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Changing case from caps to lowercase

The first letter of a new paragraph has automatically changed from caps to lower case after an A level heading in my document. It only relates to this heading levels and occurs in 85% of instances in a 90 page document. I have checked the Word file and cannot find an issue there. I have not been able to replicate the issue since it has been picked up in the proof reading process. I am using the current inDesign CC version and Adobe Typekit fonts.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Number list auto-numbering issues

We found one of the critical issues for auto-number list. We don't know how number removed automatically.

It will be visible if we made any changes in particular para, ex: we change any style and revert back to list style. Please check and fix such issues to avoid content loss during typesetting process.

I've attached screen shot and InDesign file for your better under standing. Refer page 18.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Based on paragraph styles have issues when created by script

When creating styles via a script, styles that are based on other styles are not overwriting style attributes properly. i.e.:
    p - font: Arial, size: 10.5, leading: 13, indent 8
    p-first: based-on, p, indent 0
    The indent may or may not actually be set to 0 if those two styles are created by a script. If I fix the indent manually in InDesign, any of the styles that are based off of p-first would update properly.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base