Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)

Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

Bug details

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Ctrl + Alt + X

To use the shortcut "Ctrl + Alt + X" to do a hard space in the text is impossible - it doesn't work at all. When I press "Ctrl + Alt + X" I start some sort of screenshot function. When I chose "Hard space" from the menu it works as it should do.
    So please help, I miss my "Ctrl + Alt + X" -function.
    1. InDesign 2017.1
    2. See above
    3. I expect to get a hard space in the text.
    4. See above
    5. -
    I have Windows10 in my computer.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. InDesign Crashes when Scrolling the document

My file continually crashes whenever I attempt to scroll down on the document.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve fixed the issue with InDesign’s latest Mar’18 update.
    Please download the latest InDesign version (InDesign CC 13.1) for the fix.

List of crashes and other issues that have been fixed with the update can be found at the below provided link:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/release-note/indesign-cc-march-2018-13-1-release-notes.html

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud application, click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

3. Glyphs panel scroll doesn't work in CC2017

Fix scroll feature in Glyphs panel; it worked in CC 2015. Broken in CC2017 on both Mac and Windows.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Copying hyperlinks not always working

I've recently been working on a project where there are tables containing hyperlinks. When copying and pasting whole tables from one INDD file to another (on a Mac BTW) it is fine as long as the original document is open. If you copy the table, then close the document before pasting it into another INDD file, it is very slow, you get a spinning beachball and then it pastes it in. However, none of the hyperlinks work and when you select them in the hyperlinks panel, the link is empty.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Folio overlays

Abode indesign CC 2017 - 08/30 - Windows
    My colleague and I are trying to make a folder with Publish online, and sometimes we need 'Folio Overlays' tool - but it doesn't work. For me it's too big to see on the screen, makes everything slow - and for her, it doesn't work at all, it doesn't show anything at all.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. New Format in InDesign CC

Beim Anlegen eines neuen Formats kann man rechts oben im Optionsmenu die genauen Masse eingeben. Mit der TAB-Taste kommt man dann ja immer eine Option weiter. In Adobe Illustator und in Photoshop funktioniert das in der gewünschten Reihenfolge, im InDesign (deutsche Version) nicht: da folgt nach der Breitenangabe bei betätigter TAB-Taste die Frage nach der Einheit (z.B. mm etc.) und dann (nach weitere TAB-Taste) erst die zweite Grösse des Dokuments (also die Höhenangabe). Eigentlich sollte die logische Reihenfolge ja lauten: Breite > Höhe > Einheit.

In english:
    When creating a new format, you can enter the exact mass in the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Text Frame Otpion

Text hops around in text box from top to bottom when moving text frame. I have seen a lot people online having the same issue. Only work around, and it's just that a work around not a fix, every time you place text you have to go to Object>Text Frame Options>Baseline Option and click "Use Custom Baseline Grid". Doing this every single time I place text is getting rather tedious. Just encountered bug today, restarted both indesign and imac, the bug stayed. About to re-install indesign all together.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. When opening two documents as tabbed one window group, ID does not auto-fit the resulting taller window onto full screen

Make adding the additional document tab fit the resulting tabbed window into the same space the old one without tabs occupied.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Export from book file default to wrong filetype

CC 2017 12.0.0.81
    Using the regular export menu, export an interactive PDF. That becomes the default. But now I want to export a Print PDF from the book panel, it keeps defaulting back to interactive PDF. So to make its I don't have to remember to choose Print PDF (for every single export), I have to first export a random Print PDF using the regular export menu, just to switch the default in the Export Selected files to PDF option.

The two export locations: File > Export and using the flight from the Book panel, shouldn't be tied together. They…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Locked objects get selected

Not sure why adobe changed the lock of an item. It used to work perfect to lock my background objects. Now, it I have background objects; they still get selected even if they are locked; it's such a huge inconvenience and waste of time to sort selected objects. Please fix or put back the lock object.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. grey box under workspace tab

I have a grey dialog box that appears under the workspace selection tab, and Im not sure how to make it go away. There is now dialogue in the box ever. Thanks everyone!

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  4 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Enable Layout Adjustment Fails

After Enabling Layout Adjustment, then changing the page size, I get an error message that reads "Internal error communicating with AI rulebase. Layout adjustment could not be performed."

The document page size does in fact change, but pages in spreads actually overlap. Rulers at top of page do not show correct page size except on single pages (for instance, the first and last page of a facing-pages document).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Surface Pro 4 And Gestures

I have a new Surface Pro 4. When using Adobe applications, gestures on the touch pad (for example pinching or scrolling) either don't work or are really bugy with little control. I was told by Adobe that this is due to the detachable keyboard on the Surface Pro.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Multiple Bugs in CC17

Display issue 1
    Random lines appeared on my screen. Baseline grid and guides were hidden as I was in Preview Mode, no explanation for these lines.

Display issue 2
    Text doesn’t display correctly when I apply a different Paragraph Style Sheet. (It displays the text in both the original Paragraph Style and new paragraph style on top of one another, even though the new Paragraph Style is selected). I needed to deselect and reselect another paragraph of text to rectify the issue.

Dialogue box issues
    Both videos show how I’m unable to select from the drop down menu in InDesign.…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. There is a chance you close your file without knowing you have not saved it!

It is very simple, just follow the steps below:

1. Create a new file.

2. Type a letter (lets say "A" for example) and save your file.

3. Change the letter to "B" [Notice the "*" beside the file name and the "Save" Option being enabled in the file menu, since the file has been changed]

4. Save the file again. ["Save" command and "*" disappear]

5. Now, undo the last change (Back to "A") and save.

6. Now if you redo the change, you will have "B" in the screen, Notice that the file has changed since your last…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Command + option + drag no longer copies text box

Have used this feature for 20 years and now the double arrow indicating that a box is being copied shows up, but the text box is not actually copied--the box just moves.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is working as it should – that is, duplicating the selected object.

Please update to the latest available version of InDesign (13.1) via Creative Cloud application. Before launching InDesign, delete the Application Preferences and Caches to ensure that any corrupt preferences are not causing this issue to happen.

Please let us know if you still experience this issue.

Thanks,
    Adobe InDesign team

17. Shortcuts messed up after update to CC

InDesign CC 12.1.0.56 (2017.1)
    MacOS Sierra 10.12.5

(1) The default super- and subscript shortcuts (cmd+shift+= and ctrl+cmd+shift+=) do not work on mac num keyboard. Had to change shortcuts.
    (2) When using the default shortcut for italics (cmd+shift+I) the text is changed to "Heavy Italic" instead of "Italic" with the (legal) Avenir Next font family.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Profiles equal to the Output-Intend get lost on PDF-Export

When exporting a PDF all profiles equal to the Output-Intend (which in my case is the Document-Colorspace PSO Coated V3) get lost when exporting.

I have created a small test-file with an PSO Coated V3 Image and an ISO Coated V2 Image.

When Exporting as PDF X4 with Output-Intend Set to PSO Coated V3 the Image that IS PSO Coated V3 looses its profile and the same for the ISO Coated V2 when the Output-Intend is set to that.

This is horrible for Colormanagement. I've been in contact with "Heidelberger Druckmaschinen AG" and they suggested to report this to Adobe…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. print dialog page size

Since the latest version, the print dialog box no longer clearly shows when the image area exceeds the page size on the preview in the lower left. Before, the image area that would not print would be greyed. That is no longer the case.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. "Show Asian Text Options" setting not appearing in Perferences

"Show Asian Text Options" setting not appearing in Preferences after I looked under "Type" and everywhere else - make it unable to type in Chinese with InDesign

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Need more info  ·  1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base