Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6475 results found

1. Master pages can't be applied/loaded

Whenever I try to load/apply new master pages to a document, InDesign crashes. I have already rebootet and the same problem still appears. Also tried it on a coworkers computer and the problem is still there.
    New master pages can't be loaded/applied.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

2. Short Cut Keys no longer work in Indesign 2019

Indesign 2019
    Most of the old standard short cut keys no longer work and I cannot find anywhere what the new ones are or if I can change to a legacy mode. I'm talking basic old school short cuts like "space" to bring up the hand tool temporarily and the "shift" key to proportionately scale an object. Can anyone help me out with this as my productivity is grinding to a halt and I am not happy one bit.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Saved PDF export profiles change their settings without warning

I have saved pdf profiles that arbitrarily change some of their settings without warning. Specifically, the profile inclusion policy changes from "include all RGB and tagged source profiles" to "include all profiles", and marks change from only crops and bleeds being checked, to also include page information. I go back and edit the profile to fix them back the way I need them, then some time down the road they change again. This happens on all of our workstations, and has been happening for years. If we don't catch it when these arbitrarily change, it can cause major color and…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Saved PDF export profiles change their settings without warning

I have saved pdf profiles that arbitrarily change some of their settings without warning. Specifically, the profile inclusion policy changes from "include all RGB and tagged source profiles" to "include all profiles", and marks change from only crops and bleeds being checked, to also include page information. I go back and edit the profile to fix them back the way I need them, then some time down the road they change again. This happens on all of our workstations, and has been happening for years. If we don't catch it when these arbitrarily change, it can cause major color and…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. reference point

Reference Point moves on objects when one object on page is rotated. Indesign 2019 (14.0.1) If one (or more) objects on a page is rotated, then the reference point on other objects on the page changes as you select through the different objects. This applies to text, picture, and tint boxes. If you try and make the reference point the same on all objects on a page, say the upper left point, then select other objects, they have changed to a different reference point. This makes it very difficult to align objects from page to page.
    Mac OS 10.12.6

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Paragraph style overrides key quick not working

When I select a paragraph and want to keep the character styles, but override the paragraph levels styles while holding down Ctrl/Shift click, this quick key does not work. Nothing happens. It used to work for CC2017. Ctrl click works for overriding character styles though. This is a nuisance, especially when it worked before

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To remove paragraph-level overrides, but preserve character-level overrides and character styles, in the Paragraph Styles panel, hold down Shift+Ctrl and click on the Clear Overrides button at the bottom of the panel.
    To remove character-level overrides, but preserve paragraph formatting overrides, hold down Ctrl as you click on the Clear Overrides button at the bottom of the Paragraph Styles panel.

Please also see this article: https://indesignsecrets.com/5-ways-of-removing-overrides-applied-to-paragraphs.php

Adobe InDesign team

7. find change

'Change' button is greyed out when attempting to find and replace text. I'm using ID 11.0.0.72 x64 build on Windows 10. This is a very old issue.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. text skalierung

In InDesign ist es zum Teil nicht mehr möglich, Textfelder so zu skalieren, dass sich Zeilenumbrüche etc. verändern. Das ist ein übler Fehler!!!

Und wieso gibt es das Programm auf Deutsch, aber diese Webseite nicht???

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Not able to create new guides

I am seeing many issues with the new updated InDesign - it seems a lot of the issues are solved if you have no browsers open. But let's be honest that is ridiculous! First I was not able to scale items proportionately while holding down the shift key. Now I can't create new guides, however the minute I close out all my browsers this functionality begins to work.

Please fix the many conflicts between INDD and the web browsers. I am on a MacBook Pro using High Sierra. The conflicts appear when either Chrome or FireFox are open. I need…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. InDesign 2019 scrubby zoom no longer works (command + space + click)

Prior to InDesign 2019, you can press command + spacebar + click to be able to activate the scrubby zoom feature.

Now when you press command + spacebar + click you just draw a box that once you unclick, it zooms to that space... Very undesirable..

Did a preference change on the update somewhere that I don't know about? Because I can not find this feature in the Preferences now.

Please advise.

Thanks.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The feature you are talking about is called ‘Animated Zoom’ (it’s Mac only feature).
    It is turned ON by default on Mac machines having a GPU card with a compatible monitor attached.
    Check the Document Name in its tab – does it say ‘GPU Preview’? If not, press Shift+E to switch to this mode.
    Also, check under Preferences > GPU Performance and see if ‘Animated Zoom’ is checked ON. It should be enabled for this feature to work.

Adobe InDesign team

11. Footnotes flows on the following page even if there is still space on the page where is the reference number

Indesign CC 14.0.1
    MAC OS High Sierra 10.13.6

unfortunately it happens very often that the text of the footnotes flows on the following page even if there is still space (several lines) on the page where is the footnote’s reference number.
    for this bug, the result of many jobs is very bad

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Go back to old method of "space after" paragraphs

I'm fine with the concept of allowing users to adjust the "spacing between paragraphs using same style." But the way this feature was added doesn't make sense: I think you should have left the old "space after" system the way it was, and allowed users to add the "spacing between paragraphs using same style" box as an extra option. The way you set it up (unless I'm misunderstanding something), anyone wanting to put spacing between paragraphs now has to enter data into two boxes, whether they want certain sections to have custom spacing or not. It makes the "spacing between…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Effects appearing in wrong place when exported to PDF

My Case Number: ADB-6422050-V1R6

I've been exporting a document which uses the bevel/emboss effect. Part of the element is outside of the frame of the document. The effect on the part of the element outside the frame is being moved into the frame when I export it into a PDF. In the screenshot, you will see that in InDesign, the yellow pad is completely yellow on the left inside the frame of the document, but the edge of the image outside the frame is white; when you view in preview mode you don't see the white. However, in the screenshot…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. crash on create merged document

Indesign 2018 cc on mac os 10.12.6, crash on "create merged document" in data merge menu if more than approx 100 records in data file . "export to pdf" works. We have some files that need editing after merge so need this to work. Worked before 2018 update on same files that are causing crashes now. Seems to crash at point its going from a temp file to creating the finished file after the merge has happened. Tries unsucessfully to "recover" a temp file on startup after crash. Is entirely repeatable. System and user usage together never goes above 60%…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    FIXED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

Hello All,
    Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 15.0

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 15.0
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

-InDesign Team

15. Pages

Adobe Indesign 14.0.1

Last row of Pages Panel doesn't display the page numbers. I'm unable to scroll lower either as the scroll bar is at limit.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. High Quality Display Not working

I have used INDD for about 15 years. Very experienced. but just upgraded it to CC2019 along with Mac OS Mojave 10.14.1. I can no longer see images in high quality (since the upgrades). I have triple checked everything. (image res, all INDD settings etc..) Is this a known issue?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. user preferences not holding

Adobe InDesign CC 2017 - being used in a Virtual Machine (VM) - VMware Horizon Client.

User preferences are not holding when I switch them to what I like. Yes I quite the application after setting them and then sometimes they will be the same but then sometimes when I open ID they revert back to the default settings.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Pdf export Doc- Blank Pages NO printing of png. Images - Latest InDesign Version

Hi
    I believe I am not the first one to experience this terrible frustration, not being able to get a clean Pdf export doc that I send to print. One blank page is coming out of the printer instead of the one with the pics. I use Mojave 10.14.3 and the latest InDesign version. I also unchecked the PrefLight box.
    Anyone can help to sort out that issue?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. In exported PDF, Hyperlinks jump to wrong page when their Text Anchor destination has moved to a different page due to reflow

Hi

In my InDesign file I have a Contents page with 10 hyperlinks to the first page of my 10 chapters. I created Text Anchor Hyperlink destinations on all 10 target pages, and then created Hyperlinks to them from the Contents page.

The document is 180 pages long and uses a Primary Text Frame, and all the text anchors are contained within the main text flow.

In 9 of these cases, clicking the hyperlinks in the exported PDF jumps to the correct page, but in one of them, clicking jumps to the NEXT page following the text anchor.

However, if…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. indesign cc distribute spacing shortcuts doesn't work

indesign CS4 〜 CC2019
    MAC OS

Distribute spacing shortcuts doesn't work.

The specified interval is ignored and it is arranged at 0 mm.

There is no problem pressing the button of the panel.

It is only when using shortcuts.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base