Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

517 results found

1. Crashing when entering text in paragraph style name field

To get this crash...
    Duplicate an existing Paragraph Style via Panel drop down menu.

Select text in name field.

Type... crashes within the first couple of characters.

Message... Internal Error

Doesn't happen every time, but too often.

Adobe InDesign CC 2018

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

2. Executing startup services

Latest version of CC2018. Intel 7th Gen i7 PC with 16gb memory and Nvidia GeForce 1050 video card.

All other applications installed and run properly but indesign is stuck on splash screen with Executing startup services... Only way to exit it is to run task manager and kill it.

Removed OOBE and restarted. Logged back into CC. Same issue. Don't want to reset my PC to factory (it's only a couple months old). Thanks Ben

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

3. Place PDF causes InDesign to fail requiring force quit.

InDesign CC 13.1, OSX 10.13.5 on iMac Retina 5k 27-inch Late 2014.

All updates are latest available. Attempting to place a PDF file (single page) into an InDesign document with "Show Import Options" selected (only) results in a mostly-empty "Place PDF" dialog box. Mousing over the box causes missing parts to appear one-by-one, except the "Place" button. Clicking "cancel" closes the dialog box but then many/most InDesign functions no longer work, including menu items. InDesign won't quit, either from the File/Quit menu item or command-Q. Only way to restore the application is to force quit. This bug is 100% repeatable.…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

4. InDesign Crashes on Opening from a Book Panel Multiple INDDs with Modified Links

Machine: MacBook Pro 13 in mid-2012 (i7, 2.9 GHz, 16 GB RAM)
    App: InDesign 13.1.0.76 (but basically every subversion of 13)

1. I have several INDBs containing from 6 to around 20 INDDs each.

2. Most INDDs contain from 3 to 60 cross-references (since book-spanning TOCs often crash InDesign, but that’s for another topic) – mostly within the respective INDD, but one INDD per book always has CRs to other INDDs within the same book or in other books.
      (My typical INDD contents: 2–48 facing pages with threaded, 1-column text boxes, therein several dozens of “custom” anchored objects, mostly containing text and…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

5. Constantly crashing for me and colleague

HELP!
    InDesign crashes pretty much everytime I open it, or try to open two documents at once.

I have looked into it and apparently it could be a problem with a recovery file. How can I clear all my recovery files? I have tried to find the path from the preferences but it wont let me view the whole path.

Any ideas?
    Thanks

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

6. AIGPUSniffer

Indesign will not open a new or existing file... The AIGPUSniffer open but will not open a InDesign file. I am on a Mac running High Sierra 10.13.4

Adobe InDesign CC 2018

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Confirmed by User over email stating that the issue was related to a bad hard drive wire harness and it is now resolved.

7. Combination of characters crashing ID

When I type or paste or apply style, or try anything in this paragraph, InDesign crashes. ("SUMARIVA, Paulo Henrique. Inquérito policial deixa de ser inquisitivo: Lei 13.245/16 altera as regras da investigação criminal. Jusbrasil, 19 jan. 2016. Disponível em: http://paulosumariva.jusbrasil.com.br/artigos/296224010/inquerito-policial-deixa-de-ser-inquisitivo-lei-13245-2016-altera-as-regras-da-investigacao-criminal. Acesso em 18 fev. 2016.").

Maybe a combination of characters is causing the crash. I also ask for a friend to paste the paragraph (I sent using Skype) and his InDesign crashes too.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

8. INDESIGN KEEPS CRASHING

I’m working on an IMAC (late 2014) running OS 10.13.4.

I’m finding that this new version, as well as the one which preceded it, are very slow to process “saving” or “re-saving” files.

I have a feeling that the newest software is getting quite bloated with code: InDesign seems to get very confused if I work too quickly, ultimately resulting in my FORCE-QUITTING the program. The mouse just freezes and sometimes different tools seem to appear, as well as tooltips. This type of thing has never happened before, just with the NEWEST version.

I have much worry about files becoming…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

9. Crash and shifting of text markups

Exporting to IDML, to rtf or select all + paste lead to a system crash in InDesign CC 2017 (18.1.2). The export to pdf was possible. Using exclusion techniques, the typesetter was able to locate a bad paragraph in the middle of the document that crashes when selecting + pasting. She deleted this paragraph in text mode and re-inserted it. Now idml and rtf export works. But starting from this paragraph, all text markups in italic are now shifted (after the idml cleanup) by about 195 characters to the front. This error occurred shortly before printing and no one noticed.…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

10. 10.13.4

OSX 10.13.4. InDesign is updated and will not open. Period.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

11. InDesign 2018 crashing when I go to linked endnote text

I'm working with linked endnotes in InDesign 2018 (version 13.1), but my file originated in InDesign 2015 (I skipped 2017). I have already saved the document as an InDesign 2018 file but seem to be having problems importing a document with linked endnotes.

I'm starting with an old InDesign file because I'm working on volume 2 of a multi-book series and want to maintain all my old styles. I don't know if that's relevant, but I have worked successfully placing linked endnotes from word in previous books already. In this one, the endnote references appear to have links but when…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    Thanks for reporting this issue.
    We have been able to reproduce the issue locally.

-Aman

12. Indesign freeze my iMac when launching

I can't launch InDesign. It just freeze my entire computer and I am forced to restart the iMac. Any idea?

I reinstalled it and it didn't make any change...

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As confirmed by the user that the issue got resolved after Re-installing Creative Cloud Desktop Application.

Regards
    InDesign Team

13. tabulazione

Ogni volta che attivo la tabulazione di un blocco di testo si chiude l applicazione!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

14. Not responding at update changes Indesign and Incopy in same time

When have modifieds attributes indesign for incopy, if a user click on "update design" in Incopy and the process of update changes assignments is running in Indesign, the Incopy and Indesign crash!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Changing Document Size

When I click OK to make my changes to the document the application crashes. I am able to preview the changes but that's it. I have tried restarting the application, restarting the computer. I can't seem to find anyone else with this issue.

Running:
    Adobe InDesign CC 13.1
    Mac OS 10.13.4
    Macbook Pro 2015 2.8 gHz i7

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Cannot convert indd to idml

When trying to convert attached indd (7888 kb) to idml, completed idml file is corrupted (237 kb).
    Adobe InDesign 13.0.1

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Exporting a Snippet Causes Crash

Whenever I try to export a snippet, either through dragging the ID item onto the desktop, or by going to File > Export > Snippet, InDesign will crash. The only way to get a snippet is by adding it to a library by using the flout menu in the Library panel.

I am on mac OS 13.13.3 and InDesign 13.0.1

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

18. ID crashes when exporting to PDF, but not to JPEG

I'm using InDesign 13.1 for a simple 12 page booklet (see attached)

First issue: ID was doing background work on a file for about 4 days and then ID crashed. Now whenever I open the program it asks me if I want to do "Automatic Recovery" for the file. If I click YES or CANCEL the program crashes. If I click NO the program stays open and I can continue to work. But if I go to export the 12 page booklet to PDF it crashes.

I have: (1) uninstalled and reinstalled ID; (2) tried to export the file to…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    Thanks for reporting the issue. We have been able to locally reproduce the issue that refers to “ID crashes when exporting to PDF, but not to JPEG

-Aman

19. Problem with deleting placed pdf file

Indesign cc 13.1.076
    Question: Open indesign, open previously named and saved blank document, put multiple pdf documents on the desktop (link method), put two pages of pdf document into groups or not grouped into pages, flip pages Pdf document, print document. Press del to delete the pdf file. At this time, the indesign cc will crash. After the crash, restart indesign cc and repeat the operation. The probability of crash is much smaller.
    This problem has always existed since 13.0,

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

20. InDesign crashes 2018 update-type ellipse path

InDesign will not allow me to type on an ellipse path and it crashes every time I try.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base